Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will be run off the thread by the usual posters for saying this.
Why is she getting a very nice home freshly done up? Harry is living in a very small and basic cottage as Will and Kate did earlier but she gets something better and it's not like she's having a family she's not getting married we are told so no babies I think. The York family always seem to fall on their feet.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Well, we don't know if it's true yet. But if it is, it will likely be a longterm home for Eugenie. Maybe for decades even. Where Harry will likely upgrade to something much grander in the next 5-10 years. Probably Apartment 1A, if Charles moves to BP and The Cambridges move to CH. If Charles stays at CH, like he rumored to prefer, then Harry might be waiting for the Wren House to become available, trying not to be morbid here.

Anyway, I doubt this Ivy Cottage will be ready in the near future. According to this, Ministry Of Public Buildings & Works, Ivy Cottage, Kensington Palace, Palace Green, LONDON, W8 4PZ - Address Postcode Finder - the cottage is/was being used by the Ministry of Public Buildings & Works. So it will probably take a lot of time and money to turn it from office space to residential rooms. Then it will need to be decorated too. A long process.

Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-

It would depend on what had to be done with Ivy Cottage. If they have to do similar to what was done with Apt 1a- removing the asbestos, rewiring, repairing the roof - it will take some time. It will be quicker if it's just a interior make over.

By the way, it has been stated by KP that the Cambridges intend to stay at Apt 1a after Charles is King. So they are probably not going to Clarence House.

It would depend on what had to be done with Ivy Cottage. If they have to do similar to what was done with Apt 1a- removing the asbestos, rewiring, repairing the roof - it will take some time. It will be quicker if it's just a interior make over.

By the way, it has been stated by KP that the Cambridges intend to stay at Apt 1a after Charles is King. So they are probably not going to Clarence House.

Can you link me to that official statement from KP? It must have flown over my head.

The only thing I remember is that the Cambridges were planning on staying there a long time. By the time HM passes, they could have been living there for up to 20 years, aka 'a long time'.

20 years? They moved in 2013. I unfortunately doubt HM will live to 108.
No official announcement just 'royal sources'

Prince William and Kate Middleton to stay in Kensington Palace until Will becomes King | Royal | News | Daily Express

A senior royal aide said: "Kensington Palace will be the Duke and Duchess's home for many years to come, including when he becomes Prince of Wales.
"I don't think we know for sure what will happen to Clarence House but I think we've always said Buckingham Palace will remain the monarch's residence."

Last edited:
20 years? They moved in 2013. I unfortunately doubt HM will live to 108.
No official announcement just 'royal sources'

Prince William and Kate Middleton to stay in Kensington Palace until Will becomes King | Royal | News | Daily Express

That's why I said 'up to', I figured that is the absolute oldest she could possibly live. And after QEQM and Princess Alice of Gloucester, I start to think of centenarians being the rule rather than the exception.;)

As for the latter part, that's what I thought. That it had only been 'inside sources' and suppositions. I doubt the KP press office would be so stupid as to make definitive declarations for something happening so far off in the future. They seem uncomfortable committing themselves to things a year off, let alone to something 10+ years in the future. They wisely keep it vague.

Can you link me to that official statement from KP? It must have flown over my head.

The only thing I remember is that the Cambridges were planning on staying there a long time. By the time HM passes, they could have been living there for up to 20 years, aka 'a long time'.

Yes, KP is the Cambridge's permanent official residence.

Let's get back on the topic of Princess Beatrice's current events - we can discuss Kensington Palace/the Cambridges live in the relevant threads.

Harry is living in a very small and basic cottage as Will and Kate did earlier but she gets something better and it's not like she's having a family she's not getting married we are told so no babies I think. The York family always seem to fall on their feet.

I don't really follow this family much, but maybe she needs the extra room for the Duchess of York? I remember reading that she lives in another country now, so maybe this could be her London base. I know that she is very close to her daughters and maybe she can help with the wedding preparations. Who knows?

After reading through all the different reasons that could explain Eugenie's move to Ivy Cottage, I think the best and most rational one was the one that MichelleQ2 put forth. They're shaking things up and moving things around in SJP to accommodate a move of offices and various personnel from Buckingham Palace which is due to have renovations done.

I don't really follow this family much, but maybe she needs the extra room for the Duchess of York? I remember reading that she lives in another country now, so maybe this could be her London base. I know that she is very close to her daughters and maybe she can help with the wedding preparations. Who knows?

Sarah says Eugenie isn't getting married

Sarah says Eugenie isn't getting married

Eugenie and Jack may not marry for a few years, but I expect they'll get engaged by the end of the year.
I don't see why she'd make the move unless that is likely to happen.

I don't buy that more office space is need at SJP; Beatrice will still need the flat, so what purpose would it serve to move Eugenie out?

Eugenie and Jack may not marry for a few years, but I expect they'll get engaged by the end of the year.
I don't see why she'd make the move unless that is likely to happen.

I don't buy that more office space is need at SJP; Beatrice will still need the flat, so what purpose would it serve to move Eugenie out?

Some are trying to figure it out, and a royal reporter seems to already know. The mystery of life! ;)

That illustrated guide to KP has some differences from previous ones:

1) Apartment 1 is usually shown as extending further along the long portion, up to the clock court entrance, and shown not including the terrace
2) Apartment 1A is shown as somehow extending across the clock court to include a small building on the north side of the court. That seems odd.
3) Apartment 8/9 is shown as taking up 2/3 of the block that every other illustration shows it taking, with Apartment 10 moved from the next court over into that 1/3

Compare the illustration in the DM story with the colour-coded illustration halfway down the post here: The Devoted Classicist: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Kensington Palace

:previous: I'm tending to guess that the cross court 1A rooms are staff accommodations?

Re the discussion about why Eugenie is moving to KP and not SJP could it be as simple as there being no room at SJP? Even the royals probably can't just kick someone out for themseleves to take an apartment over, well the Cambrisge's did but they are more senior, maybe its as simple as it was the next free place to come up. Or maybe Eugenie is close to Harry and wants to his neighbour or maybe its better or her to be in a cottage that can feel like her own house rather than an apartment.

Personally I think KP is more deseriable for lots of reasons.

If she's getting married, it all make sense though.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is accountable to Parliament for the occupied royal palaces, including KP, but it's the Royal Household that has day-to-day responsibility.

Simply put, it's the Queen who has provided this for Eugenie, just like she provides for the Cambridges, Gloucesters, Kents and other members of her family.

If the Queen didn't want her to have it, she wouldn't be moving in.

Last edited:
If the Queen didn't want her to have it, she wouldn't be moving in.

True, but the question is, why now? Eugenie has been in her current job for some time now, and she suddenly wants her own place, after she has shared with Beatrice for years?

That's why it would make sense if the move is in anticipation of an engagement.

(Though it's possible she just wants to be on her own, I suppose).

True, but the question is, why now? Eugenie has been in her current job for some time now, and she suddenly wants her own place, after she has shared with Beatrice for years?

That's why it would make sense if the move is in anticipation of an engagement.

(Though it's possible she just wants to be on her own, I suppose).

I would think that enough is enough with the sharing at their age. Nice that they want complete privacy and a completely separate part of their lives. IMO it is extremely healthy reaction. Why now? Why not. For all we know it has been in the works for quite some time. It will certainly be a nice safe environment with enough family members floating around if she feels the need to be with them. I personally think it is a great idea

Yes, she has been in her job for a year, but her sister has been in NY. And when Bea was in London, Eugenie was in NY for 2 years. The last 3 years they have only had to share short stints. When the American one was home for events. But during holidays they would be at Sandringham or Balmoral, and often Royal lodge.

Now with her break from both Dave and work, Bea is likely headed home full time. And now the attick apartment has to house 2 full time. The lease on ivy was likely up and good solution.

Its natural.No matter how close, at that age sisters need space. How they decided which sister got to move?? Perhaps Eugenie with a job and stable boyfriend made more sense. Or Bea is happy where they were.

DM now reporting its a pact to marry in 2 years.:whistling:

Princess Eugenie's boyfriend's parents found out about wedding on the news | Daily Mail Online

The media have been talking about "pacts" since the rumors swirled around William and Catherine dating days.

Yes, she has been in her job for a year, but her sister has been in NY. And when Bea was in London, Eugenie was in NY for 2 years. The last 3 years they have only had to share short stints. When the American one was home for events. But during holidays they would be at Sandringham or Balmoral, and often Royal lodge.

Now with her break from both Dave and work, Bea is likely headed home full time. And now the attick apartment has to house 2 full time. The lease on ivy was likely up and good solution.

Its natural.No matter how close, at that age sisters need space. How they decided which sister got to move?? Perhaps Eugenie with a job and stable boyfriend made more sense. Or Bea is happy where they were.

DM now reporting its a pact to marry in 2 years.:whistling:

Princess Eugenie's boyfriend's parents found out about wedding on the news | Daily Mail Online

One thought that occurred to me is that Harry seems to often date from within Eugenie's circle of friends and Harry and Eugenie seem close- maybe they liked the idea of being neighbors.

(And as a side note- a future girlfriend of Harry's might be able to evade the press for longer if she is seen to be visiting KP as a friend of Eugenie's instead of an overnight visitor for Harry)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

She is probably not pointing that out when asking Granny for permission to move into KP?

If it is true that Eugenie and Jack have such a pact, it must be harder for Beatrice.
One sister is probably very happy while the other is miserable.

Living together under such circumstances might be difficult for both.

:previous: It is also possible that Bea is moving on. I know I have shed the odd boyfriend only to realize life was much better without him. It's odd what you can get used to/settle for.
In any case I wish her happiness and refuse to muddle over how much she must be suffering. All of it, including my comment above is speculation. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom