Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 5: October 2008-April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it usually the university that makes the offer to the student? I wonder how many offers she got.

In the United States, students apply to colleges they're interested in and choose from among those that accept them. Schools don't extend acceptances to students who haven't applied, even if they're celebrities. But, if a celebrity applies, many schools will bend their standards to accept them.

Williams is among the most competitive schools in the United States. Unless Eugenie is an exceptional student, she'd be in way over her head, if they did admit her.

(I have no idea whether she is or isn't a good student. We don't have anything comparable to A levels and B levels here, and classes like art and art history, two of the subjects she tested in, would be considered pretty lightweight electives in high schools here. Colleges like Williams demand all-around excellent grades in English, advanced math, science, history, and foreign languages.)

Kalnel Thanks for the explanation, now I understand the US system a little better.

Well that is much better, than going all the way to the United States. I am sure she will find success there.

if she is very good at it, it is not such an easy option. Main thing is to excel at it.

And otherwise it is good for her general education, it is not as if she needs to work later in life :flowers:

Why do they seem to favour, what is seen by some, as the easy option of History of Art?

Maybe you right but I'm disappointed anyway. They all studied this History of Art. Even if they needn't work after that, they could have some personal ambitious: biology, history, psychology, politics, literature whatever.

I wonder if they all are really interested in that and go to the Gallery or only to the clubs.

Thanks God that Harry is in army and doesn't study History of Art. He chose his way. I've noticed that Will really enjoy army too. But he's good boy and he started History of Art. I don't remember but I' ve read that he resigned History of Art and studied geography then becouse he doesn't like it.

I have never heard of the schools Beatrice and Eugenie have been choosing...they manage to pick some interesting options...

Maybe you right but I'm disappointed anyway. They all studied this History of Art. Even if they needn't work after that, they could have some personal ambitious: biology, history, psychology, politics, literature whatever.

The article says she's doing English and History of Art, so there will probably be some literature in her curriculum...

Why do they seem to favour, what is seen by some, as the easy option of History of Art?

:previous:
Hmm it seems quite odd, I was rather hoping one of the York girls would take something a little heavier than English, History of Art, History and History of Ideas. But whatever suits the girls. :whistling:

My degree is in English. It's not exactly a cakewalk. Eugenie will be doing a good deal of research and writing if that is one of her majors.

My degree is in English. It's not exactly a cakewalk. Eugenie will be doing a good deal of research and writing if that is one of her majors.

Is english, just english language or a mixture of language and literature?
And I understand that none of the degrees are easy, i just simply thought that Eugenie or Beatrice would have chosen something different than what they did.
:)

It depends on the focus. It can range from literature to rhetoric to linguistics and the history of the language.

it is just as ordinary that Harry chose the army as Eugenie History of art. William got just enough of the right dose of culture that would make him an allround prince. If he continued it longer I do not know what the media would make of it.:whistling:

I wonder if they all are really interested in that and go to the Gallery or only to the clubs.

Thanks God that Harry is in army and doesn't study History of Art. He chose his way.
I've noticed that Will really enjoy army too. But he's good boy and he started History of Art. I don't remember but I' ve read that he resigned History of Art and studied geography then becouse he doesn't like it.

I took a lot of English courses as well, although it wasn't my major. I'd say that I put at least as much research--maybe more--into doing English papers as I did in anthropology, history, and other courses.:flowers:

I wonder if there's going to be a row over housing this royal, too.

But I'm glad she seems to be settling down and maybe if she's away from London she'll have a little more privacy.

My degree is in English, too. I agree that it isn't necessarily an "easy" subject. You have to be able to write well, especially essays, and have an ability to analyze literature and possibly literary theory as well--at least, that was my experience. I can't claim to be familiar with the British "History of Art" degree, though. Is that what Beatrice took, too? I thought hers was slightly different.

This History major has to agree with rmay286 and Ella Kay--my major wasn't easy at all!

Maybe it's a natural interest since they've lived in all these historical monuments and have access to great works of art? And mom Sarah has written books, so an interest in writing might not be unexpected.

But I've never heard of a British royal expressing an interest in anything like Physics or Engineering... except for the Duke of Gloucester, an architect.

I can't claim to be familiar with the British "History of Art" degree, though. Is that what Beatrice took, too? I thought hers was slightly different.

I think Bea's reading History and the History of Ideas. I'm not exactly sure what that entails.

iowabelle, I know I'd be fascinated with art if I had the Royal Collection basically at my fingertips 24/7!

Well...if Eugenie decides to live in the dorms...we shall see if the security aspect (and cost) will be easier or harder than Beatrice.

I pity the roommate and the family. I am sure they are being screened with a fine tooth comb (and I am talking about Scotland Yard and the tabloids). All the secrets you had or never knew you had ready to be exposed.

Oh dear. Good luck. Those who are without sin and all that.....

Have Royals or Nobles ever went to Newcastle Before? why only 3 years?

I don't think any royals have studied at Newcastle before. Three years is probably the set time for Eugenie's course, it can vary between 2 and 4 years, depending what she has chosen to study.:flowers:
This History major has to agree with rmay286 and Ella Kay--my major wasn't easy at all!
History would be great, but she is not studying History, it is history of art, which is entirely different and possibly not an option students in the US have.:flowers:
You learn how to understand, analyse and interpret different sources of information, form opinions based on critical judgement, formulate strong arguments and present information in an intelligent, coherent and balanced way.
As a friends daughter told us, it is fairly easy, you end up 'interpreting' everything, any way you want.

History would be great, but she is not studying History, it is history of art, which is entirely different and possibly not an option students in the US have.:flowers:

We students here in the United States do have the option at most colleges and universities to study History of Art.

Yeah it's usually just called Art History...which is basically an art degree if you want to work in museums or auction houses, etc...

As a friends daughter told us, it is fairly easy, you end up 'interpreting' everything, any way you want.

Usually the challenging part of interpretation assignments is that you have to back up your theories with evidence, so I'd guess there will be more to it than just expressing opinion.

Probably it will be the same with Eugenie as it is with all college students -- she'll get as much out of her education as she puts into it. Those who want to study hard and really educate themselves in an area come away with a stronger focus. Those who don't want to put as much effort into their studies don't learn as much. It's all up to the student, really.

Well said, Ella Kay, and so true. We shall see how much effort she puts into her studies....

Last edited:
What an exciting time for Eugenie! I hope her 3 years at Newcastle will be fullfiling and fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom