Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 5: October 2008-April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it wasn't so much the hurricane that caused the problem in New Orleans as the poor levee system (although that didn't help my friends in Mississippi whose houses did wash out to sea). Storms like Katrina are pretty rare. When I was growing up there, all my classmates could remember Camille as being the worst ever. Given that it had been 40+ years since that event, cataclysmic hurricanes are pretty rare. Severe typhoons seem to be a more common event, although maybe their effects are more localized. (Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a meteorologist! :flowers:)

But still, somebody from the Foreign Office and/or BP should be talking with Eugenie... I wish she'd find herself something interesting and worthwhile to do, like a conservation trip to the Galapagos or even the Barrier Reef, rather than spending her gap year drinking ketchup and beer. (Shades of Prince Harry.)

I'm not seeing anything inappropriate about any of those pictures. Looks like she's having a good time on her gap year; isn't that the point of a gap year?

I don't see anything inappropriate in the pictures either, except for Eugenie's bikini. As a princess of the UK, whether she wants to or not, she's inevitably representing Britain wherever she goes, so the stars and stripes bikini was not a good idea and someone should remind her of that.

Other than that, I think Eugenie's just having some harmless fun with her friends, and nothing she's done seems like bad behaviour to me. Inappropriate for an adult, maybe, but not for a nineteen year-old on her gap year. The "topless" story is much ado about nothing...if even the paparazzi couldn't get a picture of Eugenie bare-chested, it's because she wasn't: she just dropped the straps on her bikini for a minute. And really, as much as she is a public figure, she's on a private holiday, she doesn't carry out royal engagements so the UK press has no vested national interest in what she does, and she isn't a celebrity who has sought out media attention. The paparazzi have no excuse for following Eugenie around on what is supposed to be a private vacation.

I don't think it's as much a scandal these days to go without your top... I mean, even Sophie the paragon had an embarassing moment years ago and she's done a pretty good job. (And I'm not appalled by the American design... I remember a thousand years ago wearing a pair of hiphuggers with Union Jacks. So old. Sigh.)

The paparazzi have no excuse for following Eugenie around on what is supposed to be a private vacation.

I am afraid they do. If Princess Eugenie took care to behave with a little more decorum as befits a member of the royal family the paparazzi would retain little interest in following her around during this private vacation. They are doing so for one reason only: royals behaving badly earn them big money and the princess is giving them exactly what they want.

I am afraid they do. If Princess Eugenie took care to behave with a little more decorum as befits a member of the royal family the paparazzi would retain little interest in following her around during this private vacation. They are doing so for one reason only: royals behaving badly earn them big money and the princess is giving them exactly what they want.

Not only royals behaving badly but ones costing the taxpayers money through the cost of the bodyguards is even more newsworthy.

I don't see anything inappropriate in the pictures either, except for Eugenie's bikini. As a princess of the UK, whether she wants to or not, she's inevitably representing Britain wherever she goes, so the stars and stripes bikini was not a good idea and someone should remind her of that.

Well, I see nothing wrong with her wearing an American Flag bikini. It not as if she was wearing the flag of Iraq. Fashion was never something of an issue for the York girls.:ermm: They don't seem to care who reminds them of what not to wear...at least there were no feathers involved .. I think it is more inapporopriate that she has a women cupping her breast in the middle of a open place private vacation or not. IMHO of couse. May you keep your own...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't condone bad behaviour on the part of royals (or anyone) but I just don't see where Eugenie is "behaving like a lunatic." I don't think she should be smoking, I think the bikini was a bad choice, but other than that, what has she done that is going to ruin the monarchy? She and her friend were just being silly teenagers in the "breast-groping" picture, and she wasn't really topless. I do understand concerns that Eugenie's bodyguards are a waste of taxpayer money, but I don't think this is Eugenie's fault. If anything, the problem there lies with Andrew: he is the one who apparently refuses to give up his daughters' protection. I doubt Eugenie really wants the bodyguards hanging around 24/7 during her gap year travels. Sarah's behaviour way back when, that's one thing, but Eugenie? She's just acting like a normal 19 year-old to me. I haven't yet seen her falling out of nightclubs drunk (though some will claim she does this regularly!), having loud arguments in the middle of the street, vandalizing homes, knifing people...okay, I exaggerate, but a quick perusal of The Daily Mail (tabloid though it may be) suggests to me that all of these things aren't completely uncommon with British youth nowadays (sadly).

I think that Eugenie should represent her country well, but I also think that she's on a private trip, and she's nineteen (barely).

And some of the comments about her figure in the bikini are just rude and have nothing to do with any serious problems with her behaviour.

Well, I see nothing wrong with her wearing an American Flag bikini. It not as if she was wearing the flag of Iraq. Fashion was never something of an issue for the York girls. They don't seem to care who reminds them of what not to wear...at least there were no feathers involved .. I think it is more inapporopriate that she has a women cupping her breast in the middle of a open place private vacation or not. IMHO of couse. May you keep your own...

I don't think she should have worn the bikini because it appears as though she's making a political statement. There's nothing wrong with citizens of one country wearing clothing that represents another country, unless you happen to be a princess of the UK...then I think it becomes questionable. But I don't think it's a huge deal. As for her friend cupping her breast, I think it would be inappropriate in a 25 year-old, but not a 19 year-old, an age at which people are still forming their identity. I think for Eugenie and her friends, it was just a joking way of experimenting with their sexuality. And a much better way of doing so than confusedly switching from male to female partners (like some celebrities I can think of).

I think for Eugenie and her friends, it was just a joking way of experimenting with their sexuality.

I think that's reading a bit too much into it, reading into something that's not there. To suggest they were "experimenting with their sexuality" suggests that there was something sexual about the touch. I highly doubt it- much like when a teammate slaps her friend after a goal in soccer.

I think that's reading a bit too much into it, reading into something that's not there. To suggest they were "experimenting with their sexuality" suggests that there was something sexual about the touch. I highly doubt it- much like when a teammate slaps her friend after a goal in soccer.

I don't think there was really anything sexual about it, but people have interpreted the touch as lesbian-like...I can't remember if that was here or in the comments on the articles posted. What I meant was that, if the touch was sexual to any extent, it was just a young girl admiring her friend's figure.

To be fair, Eugenie's aerolas were popping out of her bikini, and her friend appeared to be helping Eugenie adjust her swim suit so nothing showed. It's just odd that Eugenie didn't adjust her bathing suit herself and had her friend do it in full view of the public.

Perhaps there does need to be a question of security while in the UK but honestly, do we really need anything to happen to have of the British royals while abroad (especially those so close to the throne). Then its a little too late to have second thoughts about security, isn't it.

And why should Andrew's daughters lose their title, they are grand daughters of the monarch..and has the older royals get older and slow down...they will (at least one hopes) pick up some of the slack of additional royal duties.

I think that's what Andrew thinks about the security--they are his daughters and while the chance of a kidnapping or attack might be very slim (and the likelihood that bodyguards could protect the girls from such an attack even slimmer) how awful would you feel as a parent if you removed your daughters' police protection and shortly thereafter, something really did happen? Some parents are pragmatic and say, "well, there are dangers in the world and something might happen to my children but I can't protect them from everything," and people with this mindset would be rational enough not to feel guilty if something did happen to their children. On the other hand, overprotective parents feel that they (and society, hence the taxpayer in this case) should be responsible for their children's wellbeing and will be quick to lay blame if anything should happen.

If Prince Andrew is so concerned he should pay for the security himself. As to why they should lose their titles, well their cousins haven´t got HRH and it seems they don´t have the security that these two globe trotting girls have perhaps that is not a coincidence.
As to the other members of the royal family getting older, yes they are and they still carry out their royal duties while most of the time we see these two princesses on holiday and coming out of night clubs.

Why should Andrew pay for their security...they are grand children of the Queen. And yes, Peter and Zara do not have titles...but that was the personal decision of the Princess Royal. And in order for them to get titles, it would have been necessary for the Queen to grant them titles. Beatrice and Eugenie were given their titles by the nature of their birth.

And why are people writing off Eugenie at the age of 19?! Thank goodness no one ever wrote me off at 19!

She doesn't have time to grow and evolve? I admit, the clubbing can be calmed down...but IMO she doesn't do any more or any less than any other teenager. She just needs to be a bit more mindful of who SHE is and what SHE does.

ETA: Not to get too far off topic BUT

Furthermore, Charles really needs to give deep thought to his desire to decrease the size of the royal family. Which I agree with to a point. But is he saying that Beatrice and Eugenie don't need HRH because they are the children of the 2nd son/daughter? So, if and when Harry has children...that should be applicable for his kids as well. I mean the situations are the same. The grandchildren of a monarch from the 2nd child. And I don't think he wants that to happen.

Last edited:
I might be a little behind but I just saw the picture of Princess Eugenie in a bikini while in her gap year. I don't know why I was so bothered by those pictures but I was. She was hugging another girl in the water with her leg around her and then she was shown smoking. I guess I found the whole bunch very distrubing and not Princess like at all. I understand she is young but she is still a Princess and she act like one. IMHO

Who are you people to tell anybody not to smoke?

I don´t come very often to these boards. Can anydoby tell me what these girls do with their lives, other than travel and shopping, do they study for example?

Who are you people to tell anybody not to smoke?

I don´t come very often to these boards. Can anydoby tell me what these girls do with their lives, other than travel and shopping, do they study for example?

Beatrice is currently studying at uni and will be doing so for the next few years (I think she is in her first year so two to three more years for her).

Eugenie is on a 'gap' year between finishing school and starting uni. She will be starting uni in September/October when English unis start their next year.

'Gap' years are fairly common amongst wealthy British kids (among others). William and Harry also both had gap years - although Harry's went for 18 months and William had two - one after leaving school and one after finishing uni before entering Sandhurst.

I am fairly sure that both Peter and Zara also had them after they left school.

As for telling people not to smoke - having had a mother die from emphacyma (sp), having a father with that disease now, and having had a number of friends who have died or currently suffer from breast cancer caused by smoking I will strongly tell anyone and everyone not to smoke. My friends who still smoke understand why I ask them to give up the habit - it is because I care about them and don't won't them to suffer the way my mother did and my father does. The impact on their quality of life has been tremendous.

I was shocked to see Eugenie with a friend holding her breasts, bad enough for any girls but for a princess of the UK and in full view of the press, (I concluded they knew the press were taking photos from the one fingered salute the 'friend' apparently gave). They looked like t***s from one of the worst housing estates imaginable and from the reports in the press, acted like them as well.

I am glad she wasn't wearing a UK flag bikini, in the hope that nobody realised she was connected to the UK. I don't know about protection from outside forces, (which as you all know I am against paying for the Yorks), Andrew ought to pay to protect her from herself and her dubious friends.:nonono:

I was shocked to see Eugenie with a friend holding her breasts, bad enough for any girls but for a princess of the UK and in full view of the press, (I concluded they knew the press were taking photos from the one fingered salute the 'friend' apparently gave). They looked like t***s from one of the worst housing estates imaginable and from the reports in the press, acted like them as well.

I am glad she wasn't wearing a UK flag bikini, in the hope that nobody realised she was connected to the UK. I don't know about protection from outside forces, (which as you all know I am against paying for the Yorks), Andrew ought to pay to protect her from herself and her dubious friends.:nonono:

I agree with you. I'm not british but if I was I would feel ashamed to be represented by girls with such a behavior, spending contributor's money and being unabled to behavior not as o royal, but a simple gentle young girl.

I don't think she should have worn the bikini because it appears as though she's making a political statement. There's nothing wrong with citizens of one country wearing clothing that represents another country, unless you happen to be a princess of the UK...then I think it becomes questionable. But I don't think it's a huge deal. As for her friend cupping her breast, I think it would be inappropriate in a 25 year-old, but not a 19 year-old, an age at which people are still forming their identity. I think for Eugenie and her friends, it was just a joking way of experimenting with their sexuality. And a much better way of doing so than confusedly switching from male to female partners (like some celebrities I can think of).

I doubt she was making a political statement at all, and I guess that I agree with you that it is normal 19 year old behavior to joke around with your girl friends, and have them cup you breast in public???, unless you are a Princess of the UK or anywhere for that matter. Then I think it is her behavior that should become questionable not what she is wearing. She is very capable of "experimenting with her sexuality" (although, I not sure she was doing that) in a place were she can not have a photo taken for HM and the rest of the world to see. Although her picture is splashed all over we must remember she is a Royal Princess, NOT a Celebrity and she should act like one. Just my opinion ..:flowers: So I will agree to disagree with your opinion and you may do the same with mine.

Another shameful outing :nonono::eek:

For me Eugenie and her sister represent the worst of royalty: despite being unimportant for the institution, holding on to a royal title but ignoring the responsibility that goes with it. Happy to use the many privileges and to live the celebrity lifestyle but adding zero when it comes down to duty or service for the country. Wearing the label "royalty = represetatives of a country" like a coat, that is worn when it suits and taken off when it doesn't. Usually it doesn't, when they try to justify their embarrassing behaviour with "privacy".

Princesses like Eugenie and Beatrice are downfall of any monarchy because they generate the institution into a self service shop.

I also agree, sad but true................dreadful role models

Another shameful outing :nonono::eek:

For me Eugenie and her sister represent the worst of royalty: despite being unimportant for the institution, holding on to a royal title but ignoring the responsibility that goes with it. Happy to use the many privileges and to live the celebrity lifestyle but adding zero when it comes down to duty or service for the country. Wearing the label "royalty = represetatives of a country" like a coat, that is worn when it suits and taken off when it doesn't. Usually it doesn't, when they try to justify their embarrassing behaviour with "privacy".

Princesses like Eugenie and Beatrice are downfall of any monarchy because they generate the institution into a self service shop.

You said EVERYTHING!!!

Beatrice is currently studying at uni and will be doing so for the next few years (I think she is in her first year so two to three more years for her).

Eugenie is on a 'gap' year between finishing school and starting uni. She will be starting uni in September/October when English unis start their next year.

As for telling people not to smoke - having had a mother die from emphacyma (sp), having a father with that disease now, and having had a number of friends who have died or currently suffer from breast cancer caused by smoking I will strongly tell anyone and everyone not to smoke.

Thanks for the information. I was surprised at comments such as "how can she smoke in public". Anybody knows of the dangers, my father died of cancer and i do smoke, so you see, anyone chooses how to live.
As for her life style, all royals do more or less the same. I don´t live in a monarchy country, i guess it would bother me to pay them their vacations and many more things. The pictures are very normal for a teenager, maybe a little shocking for a British because they are more reserved, but even though she belongs to the Royal family, she´s like any one teen and behaves according to her age.

Gosh, you are all so harsh.

Two controversial pictures out of how many taken? Probably something that happened within 3 mins is used to define Eugenie's whole personality and damn her as useless?!

OK, what happened here is that she chose a bikini that, in addition of being hideous, is two sizes two small, hence the rather sleazy pictures of her friends readjusting her breasts that were clearly popping out.
Wearing inappropriate clothes is certainly unladylike and avoidable but most young women have done it. That doesn't make her a terrible person. Hopefully she'll see the pictures, be embarrassed about them and learn.

Regarding for the cupping picture, it's her friend cupping Eugenie's breast, not the opposite. Why trash Eugenie for something she didn't even do? It probably just happened and Eugenie decided to laugh it off.

As for being useless, she's on a well deserved gap year after getting excellent grades at her A levels. I wish all British teenagers were that useless (although I certainly share everybody's feeling that her father should pay for her protection).
I wish she didn't smoke, but she does and as long as it's not in illegal places and/or around babies, who are you to judge her?

Can't believe I am defending a York girl...

What grades did Eugenie get? I didn´t see this anywhere. Perhaps she does deserve a gap year but most of the criticism is about the security officers hopping round the world after her while she is having this gap year and the British tax payer is paying for these, if she has done so well her father, who is not a poor man from a poor family, should be paying for it like any other proud father who can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom