The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Isn't it usually the university that makes the offer to the student? I wonder how many offers she got.
In the United States, students apply to colleges they're interested in and choose from among those that accept them. Schools don't extend acceptances to students who haven't applied, even if they're celebrities. But, if a celebrity applies, many schools will bend their standards to accept them.

Williams is among the most competitive schools in the United States. Unless Eugenie is an exceptional student, she'd be in way over her head, if they did admit her.

(I have no idea whether she is or isn't a good student. We don't have anything comparable to A levels and B levels here, and classes like art and art history, two of the subjects she tested in, would be considered pretty lightweight electives in high schools here. Colleges like Williams demand all-around excellent grades in English, advanced math, science, history, and foreign languages.)

Old 07-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Kalnel Thanks for the explanation, now I understand the US system a little better.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Nobility

Article on Eugenie attending newcastle University.
Eugenie set to become a Geordie princess at university (following her £100,000 gap year hi-jinks) | Mail Online
Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Commoner

Well that is much better, than going all the way to the United States. I am sure she will find success there.

"A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman."
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydura0717 View Post
Why do they seem to favour, what is seen by some, as the easy option of History of Art?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

if she is very good at it, it is not such an easy option. Main thing is to excel at it.

And otherwise it is good for her general education, it is not as if she needs to work later in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Why do they seem to favour, what is seen by some, as the easy option of History of Art?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Nobility

Maybe you right but I'm disappointed anyway. They all studied this History of Art. Even if they needn't work after that, they could have some personal ambitious: biology, history, psychology, politics, literature whatever.

I wonder if they all are really interested in that and go to the Gallery or only to the clubs.

Thanks God that Harry is in army and doesn't study History of Art. He chose his way. I've noticed that Will really enjoy army too. But he's good boy and he started History of Art. I don't remember but I' ve read that he resigned History of Art and studied geography then becouse he doesn't like it.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Courtier

I have never heard of the schools Beatrice and Eugenie have been choosing...they manage to pick some interesting options...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace marie View Post
Maybe you right but I'm disappointed anyway. They all studied this History of Art. Even if they needn't work after that, they could have some personal ambitious: biology, history, psychology, politics, literature whatever.
The article says she's doing English and History of Art, so there will probably be some literature in her curriculum...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

Hmm it seems quite odd, I was rather hoping one of the York girls would take something a little heavier than English, History of Art, History and History of Ideas. But whatever suits the girls.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

My degree is in English. It's not exactly a cakewalk. Eugenie will be doing a good deal of research and writing if that is one of her majors.

HM The Queen
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
My degree is in English. It's not exactly a cakewalk. Eugenie will be doing a good deal of research and writing if that is one of her majors.
Is english, just english language or a mixture of language and literature?
And I understand that none of the degrees are easy, i just simply thought that Eugenie or Beatrice would have chosen something different than what they did.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It depends on the focus. It can range from literature to rhetoric to linguistics and the history of the language.

HM The Queen
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

it is just as ordinary that Harry chose the army as Eugenie History of art. William got just enough of the right dose of culture that would make him an allround prince. If he continued it longer I do not know what the media would make of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace marie View Post

I wonder if they all are really interested in that and go to the Gallery or only to the clubs.

Quote:
Thanks God that Harry is in army and doesn't study History of Art. He chose his way.
I've noticed that Will really enjoy army too. But he's good boy and he started History of Art. I don't remember but I' ve read that he resigned History of Art and studied geography then becouse he doesn't like it.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Majesty

I took a lot of English courses as well, although it wasn't my major. I'd say that I put at least as much research--maybe more--into doing English papers as I did in anthropology, history, and other courses.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wonder if there's going to be a row over housing this royal, too.

But I'm glad she seems to be settling down and maybe if she's away from London she'll have a little more privacy.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
My degree is in English, too. I agree that it isn't necessarily an "easy" subject. You have to be able to write well, especially essays, and have an ability to analyze literature and possibly literary theory as well--at least, that was my experience. I can't claim to be familiar with the British "History of Art" degree, though. Is that what Beatrice took, too? I thought hers was slightly different.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This History major has to agree with rmay286 and Ella Kay--my major wasn't easy at all!

Maybe it's a natural interest since they've lived in all these historical monuments and have access to great works of art? And mom Sarah has written books, so an interest in writing might not be unexpected.

But I've never heard of a British royal expressing an interest in anything like Physics or Engineering... except for the Duke of Gloucester, an architect.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I can't claim to be familiar with the British "History of Art" degree, though. Is that what Beatrice took, too? I thought hers was slightly different.
I think Bea's reading History and the History of Ideas. I'm not exactly sure what that entails.

iowabelle, I know I'd be fascinated with art if I had the Royal Collection basically at my fingertips 24/7!

HM The Queen
Closed Thread

Tags
princess eugenie