Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 4: June-October 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the link to an article about Eugenie with the recents pics:

A day in the life of a young Royal: Movida, cancer ward, Cipriani... then Whisky Mist

I read this comment left after this article - unfortunately there is a lot of truth in it, IMHO:

"Fuelled by the press into hysteria, during the death and funeral of princess Diana, you all insisted that the young royals be brought up differently to the way their parents, notably the queen and prince Charles, were. This is the result. You can't turn the clock back, now. And that previous upbringing, incidentally, is also responsible for princess Anne. But you didn't think about that, of course. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. and look what you will be left with."

Problem is that while the princesses don't behave like Royality used to do, they don't behave either in a way that the public can connect with. Why do we never see them leaving a bookstore with a shopping bag? Eating an icecream cone on a bench in a park? Or go to a museum instead of a nightclub? They appear so fluffy-headed, so very willing to adopt the lifestyle of celebs. But of course they have been locked away at posh boarding-schools for most of their lifes while their mother has flitted from one party to the next, their father from one golf course to the next and their grandmother has done a life of duties which they have known would never be theirs. They are still so young and are only accustomed to this kind of life.

British princesses are rarely invited to state functions where they are seated next to people who were invited not for their celebrity but for their merit. From their youth the Swedish prince and princesses have mingled with noble prize winners, had to help taking care of their demented grandmother and been raised not only by queen Silvia but by princess Lilian as well who surely has had her own to say about Royal life in changing times. I doubt Silvia tended to allow her daughters to go into nightclubs till the early hours but she was raised in a mix for formal Brazilian-German system, so surely had very firm ideas about the raising of daughters who are princesses. It is this laissez-faire way of Sarah's and her own lack of direction besides making money that steered the york princesses to the lifestyle they nowadays enjoy.

I'll give them another year for Beatrice and two for Eugenie to come to their senses, grow up a bit and find a lifestyle of their own on enjyoing a world that is not only consisting of meeting and greeting celebrities. I still like the statement by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark about what she sees as one of the greatest advantages of her new position. She said that as a princess one could meet and talk to all those fascinating people who are impossible to meet as a normal citizen and learn from them. That's true for the York princesses as well. If Beatrice had wanted she could have helped in lots and lots of projects that help communities in her gap years. I bet her uncle Charles could have given her sound advice on what to do. Instead she helped rich ladies with their exclusive shopping at Selfridges....

Let's see what Eugenie is up to in her gap year.

And they're absolutely right. And I for one find it pretty ridiculous that Fergie seems to be appointed Eugenie's guide into Royal engagements when it wouldn't hurt her father to get off of the golf course and actually do something himself. Sarah isn't a member of the Royal Family, her role in the family is a private one of a mother to her daughters. Let's face it, Sarah's hardly a Royal role model for Eugenie.

Yikes, BeatrixFan, ouch! But he's not really on the golf courses, is he? He's doing his own job (as media stories and photos confirm) and if he wasn't out working for the British trade or whatever it's called people would be screaming that he's not doing anything. I guess the guy can't win. I do think it would be nice to see more involvement with his daughters, tho. I agree he should be the one guiding them into royal engagements (he's the Royal, after all) and grown-up protocol.

I agree Jo of P with what you said. I've often thought it must be somewhat odd to be royal in modern society. In a time when the average person feels monarchy and royals are far too outdated to be taken seriously, it must be hard to deterimine - as a royal - where you actually fit in. I'm sure for these young royals a lifetime of charity work is not all that appealing right now. But at the same time the lifestyle of a D List celebrity really isn't the path they should be following, tho I'm sure it's far more attractive then spending days and nights in hospital wards, housing projects, etc. And all with the papps in your face. I wonder if it would be possible to Pss B and/or E to pursue some sort of career a la Viscount Linely, Lady Helen, even Prince Michael with his books.

I think that Beatrice and Eugenie can act like Princesses when the occasion demands it; so, yes, let's see them don tiaras once in awhile and attend an occasional state function with their father. It certainly can't do any harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question....

Wouldn't Fergie need to get permission to accompany Eugenie since it was a royal engagement?

This is interesting. Apparently Pss. Eugenie is planning to spend a few months visiting children's programs in Africa. I hardly expect that she'll spend a few months in Africa, but perhaps she plans to make some visits there? In any case, if this report is true, it's good news to see that she's becoming involved in "Royal" work.

Eugenie opens cancer ward for teens on first royal engagement

If this is correct, I suspect Mommy will not be far behind, being a Duchess and all. Being a pessimist, I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry...

I wonder if it ever crosses the minds of these young royals that there are cancer victims and poor people in their own country....who would probably appreciate their showing some compassion to their own countrymen and women, not to mention the children.
Charity begins at home is a very good maxim.

Very well put, Menarue. One does have to wonder what exactly crosses their minds as they flit in and out of the sundry clubs that they attend seemingly nightly....

Hopefully, the mods will delete my first incomplete post!

They do seem more interested in being celebs...

It's true they really don't hold a candle to the intellectual/regal nature of a Charlotte Casiraghi or Victoria of Sweden.

Very well put, Menarue. One does have to wonder what exactly crosses their minds as they flit in and out of the sundry clubs that they attend seemingly nightly....

Hopefully, the mods will delete my first incomplete post!

Your wish is our command:D...but you can delete or edit your own posts for 48 hours after posting.

Dear Elspeth. Would that I could! I have no idea how.

I thought that someone might raise this point when I posted the article about Eugenie's possible trip/trips to Africa. There's something that these young people like about Africa, whatever it is.

Perhaps the situation is that so many of the older Royals already have patronages with cancer hospitals and other organizations. They tend to have their own areas and don't "mess" with each other's fields. It's just occurred to me that Princess Anne seems to be spending less time in the developing world lately, and perhaps that's an area that's opening to the younger set.

One thing about Africa is that many of the countries are so poor that there's little government money for hospitals and other charities. They need western help for their people. I need not go into detail about the many dictators in Africa who have raped their countries economies for their own benefit.:rolleyes:

I wonder if it ever crosses the minds of these young royals that there are cancer victims and poor people in their own country....who would probably appreciate their showing some compassion to their own countrymen and women, not to mention the children.
Charity begins at home is a very good maxim.

If you want to edit a post you've made, there's an "edit" button to the left of the "quote" button. Click on that and you can change your post, but you have to leave a reason for your edit.:)

Dear Elspeth. Would that I could! I have no idea how.

If this is correct, I suspect Mommy will not be far behind, being a Duchess and all. Being a pessimist, I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry...

Why does D of Y have to go with her girls. They are adults now, let them do their own charity work and visits, they don't need her, but I'm afraid she still needs them to keep up her public profile

Princess Eugenie is still a novice in doing charity work. I mean, come on, maybe she feels insecure, maybe it helps her. If the D of Y continues to accompany her after let's say the first time, I will start to wonder, too. But right now, No!

Good luck to Eugenie on her travels. May she enjoy India and spend a great time going to her destined places. People and lands to see must be awe inspiring. I think that's what life's about; to live, breathe, love, and share one's customs from within for everyone. In retrospect we enliven each other through sharing knowledge. Again, good luck to Princess Eugenie on her year round travels. Enjoy.

Going with her father, I wonder if this is tied in with a trade mission!:D
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080645/Keep-noise-police-tell-Eugenies-rowdy-chums.html
Police were called to a noisy party where Princess Eugenie was celebrating with her new boyfriend Hugo Taylor, after complaints from the neighbours.

Scotland Yard confirmed that uniformed officers were called to Chester Square, an exclusive enclave in London’s Belgravia, in the early hours of the morning

How long is PE spending in India. Quite a while to necessitate all those farewell parties. If she's going with her father does that make it an 'official overseas tour' and the taxpayer foot the bill?

Last edited:
While it may allow some members to amuse and feel better about themselves, the labelling of figures about whom we know next to nothing as "sleazy", "slimy", "mean", "hanger-on" etc is defamatory and leaves the Forums open to legal action.

Members who use these threads as an excuse for a bitchfest are advised to tone it down or find another website in which to indulge themselves.

Warren
British Forums moderator

How long is PE spending in India. Quite a while to necessitate all those farewell parties. If she's going with her father does that make it an 'official overseas tour' and the taxpayer foot the bill?
First pic from today:
Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York and his daughter Princess Eugenie
meet with Kyrgyz Deputy Prime Minister Elmira Ibraimova in Bishkek on
October 28, 2008. Andrew is on a working visit in his capacity as the United Kingdom's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.
I think that answers our question as to who will be footing at least some of the bill. Amazing that he manages to take his gap year student daughter with him again!:rolleyes:

I think that it's a good way to introduce another one of his daughters to work in the international sphere. Of course, Skydragon, I think that you and I are bound to differ on the subject of the Duke of York.:flowers::)

I think that answers our question as to who will be footing at least some of the bill. Amazing that he manages to take his gap year student daughter with him again!:rolleyes:

Ooooh Skydragon, you have a new Avatar. Cool....

My only question is why not have Eugenie accompany her father on a more "local" one day trip in the UK? The Duke had a number of appearances during October that would have been appropriate i.e., Oct 9th visit to South Yorkshire. :ermm:

But that is so ordinary...sorry. I am trying , as is Eugenie, to do the right thing. It's Hard, sometimes....

Silly me! I was thinking about learning to walk before you run. :bang:

Andrew is paying for Eugenie.

Buckingham Palace tells me Andrew has paid the equivalent of a business-class air ticket for Eugenie and will also fork out for her hotel rooms and food.
'It won't come out of his Civil List money. It won't cost the taxpayer a penny,' says a spokesman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081059/Lady-Jane-springs-surprise.html
Also
Prince Andrew has paid the equivalent of a business-class plane ticket for Eugenie and will also pay for food and accommodation.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/3271000/Princess-Eugenie-embarks-on-first-Royal-tour.html

He paid Beatrice's expenses as well when she went on a Middle East trip with him earlier this year. That information too was released to the media.

Who are we to doubt the media?

The information came from and was confirmed by Buckingham Palace, that's about as accurate as it's going to get! The media reported what Buckingham Palace released about Eugenie's expenses.

Eventually it can be checked whether or not Andrew used Civil list money or the British trade board money as that is audited and made public. Just like the information that he does not receive a salary from them is listed on their reports, along with exactly how much is paid for promotion materials, consultants, exhibitions at trade fairs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom