Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 5: October 2008-April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're more than likely right about the private get-together, but I think that's different from going out to a club...especially when the Princess in question has already been criticized for expensive nights out during a recession.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I'm middle-aged, and this just doesn't seem respectful to me.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should she act any differently than she has for the last year or more? It's her loss, imo. She and her sister Bea really seem to care less about the protocol of being royals. Her Great-Grandma could teach them both a thing or two...

Why should she act any differently than she has for the last year or more? It's her loss, imo. She and her sister Bea really seem to care less about the protocol of being royals. Her Great-Grandma could teach them both a thing or two...

I bet she could. Here are a few pearls of wisdom for both girsl from the Queen Mother. Take a little nip every day just a long as you do it privately. Arrange a wedding between your grandson and the daughter of good friend even though you know it's a match made in hell. Provide a setting for adulterous lovers to meet as long as it's done quietly. ;) :rolleyes:

I thought that it was Diana's grandmother who thought that it wasn't a good match.:ermm:

I bet she could. Here are a few pearls of wisdom for both girsl from the Queen Mother. Take a little nip every day just a long as you do it privately. Arrange a wedding between your grandson and the daughter of good friend even though you know it's a match made in hell. Provide a setting for adulterous lovers to meet as long as it's done quietly. ;) :rolleyes:

It's not like it was the day of the funeral, or a church service of any type. It was a ceremony honouring her great-grandmother. I bet the royal family had a gathering afterwards where they celebrated the day...and I bet drinks were served.

I'm with yvr girl on this one. It really wasn't a funeral, a memorial service, or even a death anniversary. It was, if anything, the unveiling of a memorial, and celebration of her life. IMO, the York girls have done well to stay out of the press recently, and it would be unfair to begrudge them the odd night out every now and then. After all, Eugenie is still on her gap year. I am not usually a supporter of these girls, and do feel they should be doing a lot more with their lives than they appear to be, but in this instance, I could not really see anything wrong in Eugenie's actions.

I agree with Muriel, it wasn´t her great-grandmother´s funeral, it was the unveiling of her statue. I think she goes out at night far too often, if we can believe what the newspapers tell us, and I don´t think they are lying about this, but there is no need to go into deep mourning for a week because a statue was unveiled.

Sorry, but I don't get this whole notion that the York girls have been doing well lately because they've not been photographed 2 dozen times falling out of a pub, looking half-cocked or what-have-you. That's doing well? How 'bout the York girls doing well by wearing appropriate clothing, doing a bit of "work" for a local charity or even appearing at something other than a trendy club. Doing well? Not quite.

You may not have realised that my comment "the York girls have done well to stay out of the press recently" is certainly not an unqualified "the York girls have been doing well lately". Your point is very valid, but different to what I said. :flowers:

I see what you mean, Muriel. But it was mentioned somewhere else, too. I'm not trying to knock the York girls. I've always been a big defender. I just wish they'd do something a bit more productive than just party. True, they could be and it's just not being reported on, but I don't think so. I know they're young and everything but I think they'd be taken a bit more seriously as royalty and be more respected if they were seen doing other things too.

That's my feeling as well, Bella. I don't like to criticize Beatrice and Eugenie as a rule. Finding fault is the easiest thing in the world to do. Eugenie has made a trip with her father to see his work and made an appearance at a youth hospice with her mother. From what I can see, she did fine both times. On her gap year, there's no reason why she can't do a bit more for others. And if she or her sister do "good works", we should be told about it.:flowers:

It's not like it was the day of the funeral, or a church service of any type. It was a ceremony honouring her great-grandmother. I bet the royal family had a gathering afterwards where they celebrated the day...and I bet drinks were served.
I am somewhat bemused by all this bruhaha. After sharing the occasion with her family she went to spend time with her friends.

A (very) long time ago, when I too was their age I could work all day, party all night, and never miss a beat. On Parade at 0800hrs all present and correct.

I think the biggest problem is that most people have a problem with the notion of a Trendy Club = Blitzed party people. The club is just a place to party with your friends and it's exclusivity is one of it's main attractions as it keeps most (but not all) camera's at bay. Officers Mess, SNCO's and Junior Ranks in the Military serve much the same purpose.

I am sure that not a few photos of Eugenie (and Beatrice, William and Harry) falling out of a club looking half cut and staggering owe more to the barrage of flashbulbs than the quantity of alcohol consumed.

Don't get me wrong. Neither of the York girls are exactly candidates for Sainthood but neither do they merit an express elevator to Hell!

:previous: I agree 100% with your post. I can still rise at 5am and 'party' until 2 the following morning and then carry on as normal!:D

The thing is that if you look at the pictures of Eugenie after this latest night clubbing, she does not look like she is staggering or drunk at all. She looks pretty put-together. Just because you go out to a club at night doesn't necessarily mean you're drunk...
...and frankly, I'm a few years older than Eugenie and have no trouble staying up to the wee hours of the morning without being tired!

Yes, they should do more actual work, I can't say I disagree. But that doesn't necessarily mean they should do less clubbing, or that all the girls ever do is fall out of nightclubs drunk.

Positive information about Eugenie is buried deep into an article and picture of her leaving a night club since it's easier to be negative and perpetuate negative stereotypes.

A few weeks back buried deep in an article came the information that Eugenie had recently come back from spending time in Poland at a Children in Crisis project. ( Children in Crisis is her mother's charity and has worked in Poland since the mid 1990s) One of the von Bismark boys that are family friends was with her, also mentioned in the article was that Eugenie made a private visit to Auschwitz. It seems it is possible to live a royal life outside the glare of photographers, so not seeing them in the papers doesn't mean they're not doing anything.

The York girls have shown that they are prepared to do both charity and royal events. It is squarely the fault of Buckingham Palace that they not been given any royal engagements to do. The charity work they've done so far is all because their mother organised it, the 18th birthday hospital visits ( both girls) Sarah is the patron of the Teenage Cancer Trust so they went with her. Beatrice is an ambassador for her mother's Children in Crisis charity, she has attended fundraisers for it, her first official engagement was at the age of 13 when she visited a Children in Crisis project in Russia with her mother.

Both girls attend royal events, eg last week the unveiling of the QM statue. The other royals, including William and Harry ( who's official engagements are organised by Clarence House, not Buckingham Palace, from when they started) had the statue engagement listed as an official engagement in the royal calendar and court circular, not Beatrice and Eugenie, they did the same as their cousins, uncle and aunt ( Edward and Sophie) they turned up.

The fault that people keep finding in both girls is unfair, both finished high school, Beatrice is the first British princess to attend university, Eugenie will be the second. They support their grandmother, turn up to all royal events, neither has done a 'tell all' negative interview to the tabloids, as did Princess Alexandra's daughter Marina. They have shown that they are willing to take on charity work, it's up to Buckingham Palace, who organises Andrew's, Edward's, Sophie's and Anne's engagements ( as well as the Queen and DoE) to use them. The criticism is being directed at the wrong people, the problem with engagements isn't due to the York girls but to Buckingham Palace.

So here's a follow-up question: why are the girls' charity events limited to jobs with their mother? Why doesn't the Palace find something for them that won't require a huge number of events but at least would be recognized as benefiting Britons who need assistance of some kind?

BTW, is the term "Briton" still used?

Thank-you, Charlotte, for noticing some positive things on the York girls' part.:flowers:

I suspect that like William and Harry, the girls are going to finish their education before starting a full royal role and so BP doesn't want to start them officially until that time.

Until they have their university degrees and decide to do full time royal duties (and it may be that they aren't going to work for the firm but go into other jobs in line with the view that the number of royals should be reduced) BP is probably taking the view that it would be counter-productive to have them on official duties and then, after uni have them stop doing that.

Princess Eugenie out last night, London, February 24, 2009.
Well then.....an eventful princess we do have. I never thought it would be Eugenie to be like this, i always thought it would be Beatrice.

BTW, is the term "Briton" still used?:flowers:
Yes, the term is very much used. :flowers: Although I have noticed a tendency for people to describe themselves as "British-English" or British-Scottish", etc.

The criticism is being directed at the wrong people, the problem with engagements isn't due to the York girls but to Buckingham Palace.
The York girls are of very little interest to a great many members of the public and the palace can only respond to the invites the various royals receive, when organising attendances. They are seen in a very negative light by a great many people from the comments I have heard, if and when they are in the news.

The York girls are of very little interest to a great many members of the public and the palace can only respond to the invites the various royals receive, when organising attendances. They are seen in a very negative light by a great many people from the comments I have heard, if and when they are in the news.

Well I would doubt whether the Dukes of Kent and Gloucestor are of a whole lot of interest to the general public either and yet they have organisations that they are patrons of, honorary military roles etc.

The York girls will have their official work organised by Buckingham Palace, so far nothing has been done for them. Not even listing them in the court circular when attending an official event such as the QM memorial unveiling, so The Queen, DoE, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Duchess of Gloucestor, Duke of Kent all were listed as attending an official engagement ( which goes on their 'league table' of 2009 engagements. B & E have a total of zero when they attend the same engagements as those who have a score) Beatrice and Eugenie were not listed as attending an official engagement, it was as if they weren't royal. ( Lady Sarah Chatto and Viscount Linley were there too and not listed)

Clarence House organised a days worth of official engagements for Harry when he turned 18 ( basically to counteract bad publcity of his experiment with drugs) After university William followed the English rugby team to New Zealand and a few official engagements were organised for him there to justify him being there. I doubt whether any invitations were given but rather Clarence House was pro-active and came up with events and contacted the relevant people to organise the engagements.

So regardless of what public perception may or may not be ( Anne also had an extremely negative public image, but multiple engagements were organised for her) Buckingham Palace are lax in not using the York girls in an official way. Though probably Iluvbertie has a point in that maybe the decision BP has made is not to use them until their university days are over. But it's still unfair to label them as shirking their responsibilities as royals, they're prepared to take on official roles, it's just none have been organised for them.

Well I would doubt whether the Dukes of Kent and Gloucestor are of a whole lot of interest to the general public either and yet they have organisations that they are patrons of, honorary military roles etc
On the contrary, a great many people recognise the Dukes and are interested in them and the causes they support
they're prepared to take on official roles, it's just none have been organised for them.
I haven't seen a statement to suggest that, in which case they could also have said, don't organise anything for us, we are not interested.:rolleyes: Perhaps they were not on the 'tally' because they are not yet working royals.

Since William and Harry had official engagements before ending their education, I see no reason why the York girls should be handled any different. Whether the organisation is done by CH or BP should not matter.:flowers:

On the contrary, a great many people recognise the Dukes and are interested in them and the causes they supportI haven't seen a statement to suggest that, in which case they could also have said, don't organise anything for us, we are not interested.:rolleyes: Perhaps they were not on the 'tally' because they are not yet working royals.

Questionable about the 2 dukes, the Duke of Gloucestor was in Australia recently and his visit didn't make the papers. (The monarchist website commented on the lack of coverage, he was here for a week!) The Duke himself ( in the Royals at work documentary) said that he didn't expect people to come and see him but the Queen couldn't be everywhere.

The York girls turn up at every royal event,( memorials, thanksgiving services, Trooping of the Colour) even as adults they're spending Christmas at Sandringham ( the Philips cousins didn't go in 2007, they spent Christmas with their partners' families) Last year the Queen asked B & E to organise a party of people to attend Ascot, it was the first time they had attended. The Queen loves Royal Ascot and wanted the younger generation to get involved ( William and Harry have never attended) reportedly ( although tabloid so to be taken with a grain of salt) Kate Middleton was also asked to host a party of friends and said no. They have accompanied their mother on charity events, they even accompanied their father on one of his business trips. There is nothing in their behaviour to suggest they are reluctant to take on royal engagements, it's just none have been organised for them.

Since William and Harry had official engagements before ending their education, I see no reason why the York girls should be handled any different. Whether the organisation is done by CH or BP should not matter
CH and BP are 2 separate entities with different staff and ways of working. Until recently there was tension between the 2 households, the past few years things have been running somewhat smoother. CH has its own PR staff and consultants, so when it came to introducing the younger generation they had their own blueprint. BP has different staff and a different press office with more than likely different views. B & E come under the BP staff and whatever way they choose to use them.

Last edited:
Questionable about the 2 dukes, the Duke of Gloucestor was in Australia recently and his visit didn't make the papers.
That is Australia and the Australians, for whom I wouldn't presume to speak!
The York girls turn up at every royal event,( memorials, thanksgiving services, Trooping of the Colour) even as adults they're spending Christmas at Sandringham
The UK doesn't celebrate 'Thanksgiving!
Last year the Queen asked B & E to organise a party of people to attend Ascot, it was the first time they had attended. The Queen loves Royal Ascot and wanted the younger generation to get involved ( William and Harry have never attended) reportedly ( although tabloid so to be taken with a grain of salt) Kate Middleton was also asked to host a party of friends and said no.
And this shows their willingness to do what, organise a group to attend Royal Ascot, hardly more than a good afternoon at the races. As for the other 'information', as you say, it is from the Tabloids! :whistling:
They have accompanied their mother on charity events, they even accompanied their father on one of his business trips.
Wasn't this the one that enabled the girls to have paid for holidays?

Since William and Harry had official engagements before ending their education, I see no reason why the York girls should be handled any different. Whether the organisation is done by CH or BP should not matter.:flowers:

The difference that I find is that Wills one day will be King and Harry well, he will be brother of King... Duke of something important:p. These girls won't.

When 10 or 20 years roll by, how many working members of the Royal Family will there be? The Kents and the Gloucesters will be elderly and will most likely have cut back their engagements. Princess Alexandra has already turned 70. Prince Andrew will be 70 in 20 years, and the Earl and Countess of Wessex will be in their late 60s. In 20 years, I see Prince William, Prince Harry, and their wives as the new working Royals. Their children will still be in school at that time. Who else will do Royal engagements? The population of the UK will likely be even greater by that time and will probably have a proportional increase in people needing volunteer organizations and charities. The York Princesses might be called into service sooner than anyone expects, because no-one can really predict the future. If HM dies suddenly (God forbid), and Charles becomes King and William is made Prince of Wales in the near future, the York girls could be needed in a big way.:ermm:

The difference that I find is that Wills one day will be King and Harry well, he will be brother of King... Duke of something important:p. These girls won't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom