Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 5: October 2008-April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know it's no big deal to you though there are some of us old foggies who actually enjoy looking at a Princess who dresses lovely, a la Grace Kelly. *sigh*
Ah! Well. . . .

I never said that I didn't like when women in general (not just princesses) dress like Grace Kelly. However Eugenie wasn't at a royal function or some other gala, she was going out to a bar with friends. I hardly expect her to wear an evening gown and opera gloves. She dressed like girls her age dress when going out with friends. While we don't have royalty over here, I do like to think that they can be normal, every day people at least once in a while. It's not like she wears that to the Trooping of the Colors every year.

:cool: What a total mess - doesn't Eugenie feel embarrassed?! :eek:

Probably not, because she's twenty. When she's thirty, maybe she'll look back and be embarrassed!

I think Eugenie is just dressing like her peers. Princesses dressed in a more lady-like way years ago, but so did the rest of female society. Sixty years ago, Princess Margaret dressed in flowing dresses, but if she was young in 2010 I bet she'd be dressed just like Eugenie. By the way, in answer to the question about the celebrity wearing the same tights, The Daily Mail had a picture of Lily Allen wearing very similar ones.

in my opinion,the Princess Eugenie looks just fine!! very trendy young woman. I dont get it why people have to mock them for the fasihion all the time! They dont looks so boring as many others!

Exactly. She's only twenty and of course she looks different than other (much older) princesses. Plus she's wearing those dresses in her freetime. Since she doesn't have many official engagements we don't often see her in more formal clothes, but in my opinion she looks more "normal" then. But still, she can't dress like a 35-year old.

I never said that I didn't like when women in general (not just princesses) dress like Grace Kelly. However Eugenie wasn't at a royal function or some other gala, she was going out to a bar with friends. I hardly expect her to wear an evening gown and opera gloves. She dressed like girls her age dress when going out with friends. While we don't have royalty over here, I do like to think that they can be normal, every day people at least once in a while. It's not like she wears that to the Trooping of the Colors every year.
One is reminded of Princess Diana on her last tour to Angola: casual, yet so very elegant.

Sixty years ago, Princess Margaret dressed in flowing dresses, but if she was young in 2010 I bet she'd be dressed just like Eugenie. By the way, in answer to the question about the celebrity wearing the same tights, The Daily Mail had a picture of Lily Allen wearing very similar ones.

I saw the picture of Lily Allen wearing this outfit and I thought she looked dreadful, the idea of a HRH wearing the same is just too much. You say you bet Princess Margaret, being young in 2010, would wear the same, don´t fool yourself, Princess Margaret was very much aware of her royal status and always looked impeccable. She had fun but was always dressed in a dignified manner.
Royal princesses are never off duty, they are born royal and that is that.
If they want to be ordinary people and wear these very common looking outfits they had better give up their titles and perks as soon as possible.
Then they could always wear these strange get ups behind the high walls of one of the castles and no one would know a thing about it and then when appearing in public dress appropriately.

I saw the picture of Lily Allen wearing this outfit and I thought she looked dreadful, the idea of a HRH wearing the same is just too much. You say you bet Princess Margaret, being young in 2010, would wear the same, don´t fool yourself, Princess Margaret was very much aware of her royal status and always looked impeccable. She had fun but was always dressed in a dignified manner.
Royal princesses are never off duty, they are born royal and that is that.
If they want to be ordinary people and wear these very common looking outfits they had better give up their titles and perks as soon as possible.
Then they could always wear these strange get ups behind the high walls of one of the castles and no one would know a thing about it and then when appearing in public dress appropriately.

I don't like the tights and I'd never wear something like that, but I don't mind that Eugenie did. I think princesses should be aware of their role, and I'd be bothered if I heard Eugenie was doing drugs/getting into brawls in her free time, but I guess I don't see clothing choice to be as much of an issue as bad behaviour. (Within reason...sometimes Beatrice and/or Eugenie wear things that I find too revealing.) But the tights don't bother me.

I don't think its the tights as it is the garter belt.

I don't have a problem with Beatrice and Eugenie with being young and experimenting (within reason of course). But they do need to remember who they are...royal princesses ALWAYS...and somethings are better left unsaid (and unworn). Why bring unecessary attention to yourself? Again...if you are at a private party but considering how many people are talking about you, the money that is being used to protect you, etc...I would think one would want to hide under the radar so to speak.

I agree with you Zonk, they are royal princesses all the time, they do not have time off and I am afraid they are showing a thorough lack of judgement.
Off duty did someone say? They are never off duty, a bit of good sense would do those girls some good. Wasn´t she the one prancing about in the nude at her school? Well we could say that was in a private environment but someone saw and told.
I sometimes think the Queen must despair, or perhaps HM has no idea about these things and the ring of protective courtiers keep these little details from her and cut out the pictures from her newspapers. LOL:

It's not a garter, they are patterned tights, they are trendy right now and many young women buy them. I don't think that the infamous tights are so important, she was clubbing!

Although like many of you I think that princesses should always look impeccable the reality is that even royals have poor taste in fashion.

Well they look like garters and thats the problem for people my age (40's) and a lot o Daily Mail readers who don't take the to read the article...and just look at hte pictures. Its all a preception issue and the perception (rightly or wrongly) is that the York girls just party and leave a lot to be desired.

That doesn't change my main point....fly under the radar. I am not bashing them...anyone who has been on this board for a while now, knows that I defend the Yorks....I am just asking for a little common sense.

Well, you're both right on the tights issue -- she's not wearing actual garters, but the tights have a garters-pattern on them. I think they're cute, but wouldn't wear them myself as I don't have the figure to wear something like that. I tend to stick to clothes that fit me. LOL

Zonk I wasn't attacking you! I only wanted to inform you that she was not wearing garters; I love that kind of hoisery, well the ones that look like garters no, but patterned tights are very trendy at the moment and many celebrities are wearing them. And the garters are also trendy right now, so I think that we should pray that Eugenie doesn't get hold of one pair :lol:

But I think the same as many of you a princess should try to be always impeccable. I've seen today a picture in Vanity Fair of P. Margaret in Dior and that dress was soo beautiful :wub:

Melibea...we are fine...I didn't take it as a personal attack.

My point was that...too me they looked like garters and I didn't read the article...just looked at the pictures and read the comments.

We are fine :)

Gracias a dios! I didn't want the super moderator against me! :innocent:

I don't like the garter tights. I know that she's only 20 and was out with her friends, but tights like that aren't the message a princess should be sending out. There are other trendy things a girl can wear that aren't so...ummm...fetish-like. :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Queen and Margaret and Alexandra were young princesses, and even Anne, there were expectations of that royal children would be raised differently to other children but...then a couple of woman married into the royal family and insisted that their children be given 'normal' upbringings. This is a failing I think in the way the current generation of royals have been raised and we see it most with the girls and the way they dress.

Frankly, I don't need a nylon-fetishist to come and tell me his opinion. It is My opinion that a HRH just does not dress like that whether it is in fashion or not. IMHO, it just makes a young lady look cheap and even more so when the young lady in question is HRH Pr. Eugenie. I am sorry if I offend...

There must be a happy medium somewhere between keeping royal children sealed away from normality and letting them be "just like everyone else"--because they can never be that. They seem to be caught between two worlds: their grandmother's world where they wear hats and dresses, and their friends' world where everything goes. As far as I'm concerned, the Queen and Prince Philip got it right in that way. Their children were educated with other children and had the chance to have friends outside the royal circle, but they were instilled with the idea that they were responsible to give something back to the nation in exchange for their privileges. I think that William and Harry have been maturing in these last few years. I've taken a wait-and-see approach to the York girls.

Frankly, I don't need a nylon-fetishist to come and tell me his opinion. It is My opinion that a HRH just does not dress like that whether it is in fashion or not. IMHO, it just makes a young lady look cheap and even more so when the young lady in question is HRH Pr. Eugenie. I am sorry if I offend...
Honey you don't offend me. I'm with ya! :flowers:

I just wonder what is so wrong with setting the bar a little higher? What is so wrong to want to set an example and look nice and well kempt?

There must be a happy medium somewhere...
You are right that the Wales boys have matured but at the ages the York girls they were at clubs and pubs and drunk a lot of the time.
Unfortunately too many people forget that these girls are still young and at uni and aren't giving them the same space that they gave William and Harry at the same time.
In time I think these girls will be fine - like Zara - whose dress sense at 20 was pretty appalling at times. They will end up being responsible members of the family.

Who here said they were a nylon-fetishist? You have people who say it's no big deal, she's out with her friends and not an official function and then you have people who say she shouldn't wear something like that, she's a royal princess.

That's it.

Read NoorMeansLight, #528. I believe that will explain what I am discussing.
I am sorry that I do not know how to put posts in quotes. I think that would help me explain it to you better...

In time I think these girls will be fine - like Zara - whose dress sense at 20 was pretty appalling at times. They will end up being responsible members of the family.
For sure, Zara was known for being "wild" in her early twenties (more so than Beatrice and Eugenie IMO; didn't she have audible fights with her boyfriend?) Then there was Harry who punched a photographer...showed up to a fancy dress party in Nazi uniform...and yes, he and William regularly went clubbing. The people who comment on the articles are really hard on Beatrice and Eugenie, whereas in my personal opinion Beatrice already seems more mature and settled down than she did a couple years ago.

Thinking about it, I guess I wouldn't say I like what Eugenie was wearing--the garter tights. I don't think they were really appropriate, especially for a princess; I guess it just doesn't bother me that much.

I think the difference between Beatrice and Eugenie and even the generation just before them--ie. their father and aunts and uncles--isn't just that Diana and Sarah were commoners; it's that society has changed hugely. It seems to me that whereas British high society used to consist of aristocrats and royalty, it's now composed of actresses, musicians, "footballers" and WAGs (can you tell I look at the Daily Mail)!? I would think that in past decades, British princes and princesses mingled with other European princes and princesses and English lords and ladies. But the world has changed to the point where the people who mix with royalty are now essentially commoners--people who have suddenly become rich and famous through power of the media--but haven't brought with them any kind of "class."

I think Eugenie is just emulating her peers, who emulate celebrities like Lily Allen who wore similar tights. Maybe it's not the way things used to be and maybe something has been lost amidst the surge of mediocre celebrities, but I don't think British society can ever go back.

Hmm... just my two cents. Well, couldn't it be possible that those two girls simply don't have any taste at all? No matter if they are Princesses and how old they are?

And don't get me wrong - it's not against the girls. I'm just talking about their fashion. Yes, Zara had some awful outfits back then, too. And still it was different, imo. Zara just seems to be the type who can wear all these rather 'rockin' outfits without looking foolish. Plus she's not a Princess. Anyway, Eugenie e. g. doesn't look like Lily Allen, she has a totally different body, she's another type but obviously she's a bit rebellious... To me she doesn't seem very comfortable with being a Royal.

But back to the clothes. I'll never understand why no-one seems to take notice in their inner circle, no-one gives them advices etc. I agree with Wisteria here - it seems as if someone cuts out their pictures from HM's newspapers... :whistling:

I think the difference between Beatrice and Eugenie and even the generation just before them--ie. their father and aunts and uncles--isn't just that Diana and Sarah were commoners; it's that society has changed hugely...
I see your point very well, though it corresponds with what I said: Why lower the bar? You can "mingle" with the common folk yet keep your dignity and decorum. Just my 2 cents.

I think rmy286 made a valid point about society and how certain people are viewed as stars etc.

I also agree with Russo that it doesn't hurt to maintain some sort of decorum and dignity as well as iluvbertie that both the Wales and Phillips cousins did the same sort of thing with their actions and clothing style (as it relates to Zara) when they were the age of the York girls.

Here's my point...the stuff with the Wales and Phillips happened at least three to ten years ago (accounting for the age differences) and things have changed in that short of time span. Certainly the Wales, Phillips and York children are held to a different standard and different things are expected from them...if we must be honest...its according to their place in the Line of Succession. Thus in this age of economic uncertainity, the calls for a more streamline BRF and to keep the line every so more clear between the Royals and the Stars of the Moment (I mean really...who in ten years is going to know who Kerry Katona is?)....Eugenie and Beatrice need to remember that they are HRH Princesses of York.

I personally don't have a problem with them being young...having fun...going to college...hanging out with their friends...and even wearing trendy clothes...before they start work in the Family Firm (the Gloucesters and Kents are not going to be around forever and they will need to help Prince Charles when he become Kings) I just expect them to remember ALWAYS in the back of their mind...WHO THEY ARE and WHAT IS EXPECTED FROM THEM.

I don't mean to come across like their personal defender or anything, but I'm sure that both Beatrice and Eugenie know who they are and what's expected of them. If anything, both of their parents have done a great job raising them, which can't always be said for divorced parents, royals or otherwise. When the time comes for them to start helping their uncle out when he becomes King, and take on more work with the family, no doubt they will be more than ready to do so.

You are not coming across as their personal defender..and anyone who has been on this board will tell you that I am a defender of the York girls but also see their faults (or their youth in this case).

And with that in mind, I will say one thing...its a difference in knowing who you are and what is expected from it...and acting like it. Perception is the key...and as the British public pays and expects a lot from its BRF its best for the BRF to put their best foot forward at all times while staying true to their individual personalities.

And again, I don't think that is too much to ask for. They need to always remember that a photo of a Princess falling out of a taxi drunk, wearing an inappropriate outfit is always going to sell and get more press than one of them dressed nicely doing a public engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom