The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Courtier

How long is PE spending in India. Quite a while to necessitate all those farewell parties. If she's going with her father does that make it an 'official overseas tour' and the taxpayer foot the bill?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

While it may allow some members to amuse and feel better about themselves, the labelling of figures about whom we know next to nothing as "sleazy", "slimy", "mean", "hanger-on" etc is defamatory and leaves the Forums open to legal action.

Members who use these threads as an excuse for a bitchfest are advised to tone it down or find another website in which to indulge themselves.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
How long is PE spending in India. Quite a while to necessitate all those farewell parties. If she's going with her father does that make it an 'official overseas tour' and the taxpayer foot the bill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
First pic from today:
Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York and his daughter Princess Eugenie
meet with Kyrgyz Deputy Prime Minister Elmira Ibraimova in Bishkek on
October 28, 2008. Andrew is on a working visit in his capacity as the United Kingdom's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.
I think that answers our question as to who will be footing at least some of the bill. Amazing that he manages to take his gap year student daughter with him again!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it's a good way to introduce another one of his daughters to work in the international sphere. Of course, Skydragon, I think that you and I are bound to differ on the subject of the Duke of York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think that answers our question as to who will be footing at least some of the bill. Amazing that he manages to take his gap year student daughter with him again!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ooooh Skydragon, you have a new Avatar. Cool....
Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Nobility

My only question is why not have Eugenie accompany her father on a more "local" one day trip in the UK? The Duke had a number of appearances during October that would have been appropriate i.e., Oct 9th visit to South Yorkshire.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

But that is so ordinary...sorry. I am trying , as is Eugenie, to do the right thing. It's Hard, sometimes....
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Nobility

Silly me! I was thinking about learning to walk before you run.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Andrew is paying for Eugenie.

Quote:
Buckingham Palace tells me Andrew has paid the equivalent of a business-class air ticket for Eugenie and will also fork out for her hotel rooms and food.
'It won't come out of his Civil List money. It won't cost the taxpayer a penny,' says a spokesman.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081059/Lady-Jane-springs-surprise.html
Also
Quote:
Prince Andrew has paid the equivalent of a business-class plane ticket for Eugenie and will also pay for food and accommodation.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/3271000/Princess-Eugenie-embarks-on-first-Royal-tour.html

He paid Beatrice's expenses as well when she went on a Middle East trip with him earlier this year. That information too was released to the media.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Who are we to doubt the media?
The information came from and was confirmed by Buckingham Palace, that's about as accurate as it's going to get! The media reported what Buckingham Palace released about Eugenie's expenses.

Eventually it can be checked whether or not Andrew used Civil list money or the British trade board money as that is audited and made public. Just like the information that he does not receive a salary from them is listed on their reports, along with exactly how much is paid for promotion materials, consultants, exhibitions at trade fairs etc.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

What on earth is all the angst about? Prince Andrew has invited his daughter, Princess Eugenie, to accompany him on this trip as he had with Beatrice earlier. I am sure that they act as de facto partners at official events, which must make a lot of the "formal" occassions a lot easier for his hosts.

As a father I think it is a great way for him to show his daughter(s) exactly what his "job" is. As for Eugenie, what a wonderful and unique opportuny for her to experience visiting a country while to a large extent representing her own.

There has been so much written about how the York girls spent or ar spending their "Gap" year. Whatever career she chooses to follow, meeting the great and the good cannot help but be a major asset in life skills.

As to the money? Whatever is the big deal? Prince Andrew is paying, as he did for Beatrice. But it seems the general carping still goes on.

Eugenie stays at home and enjoys the nightlife. She is a disgrace, doing nothing but pursuing pleasure and really ought to settle down.

Eugenie goes with her father on a little "on-the-job" training and the same people that fault her nightclubing whinge about the cost.

Eugenie is damned if she does and damned if she does not.

That being the case, all power to her, and may her trip be a really informative and educational one, and may she actually have fun doing it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
My only question is why not have Eugenie accompany her father on a more "local" one day trip in the UK? The Duke had a number of appearances during October that would have been appropriate i.e., Oct 9th visit to South Yorkshire.
I wonder!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Andrew is paying for Eugenie.
Did Andrew fly business class? As has been asked by other posters, why didn't she do some of the less glamorous trips first. Most gap year students trot off to foreign climes with friends, not as a pampered poodle making full use of her fathers position and all the extra's that come with it. Whilst I am sure their hosts will be pleased to provide Eugenie with the same perks as her father, it is still not coming out of Andrews pocket. Once again he is taking advantage of his position.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

I agree w Marg. How many fathers take their children on business trips? Traveling abroad is far more interesting than traveling in your own backyard. Any of us, or our children, would prefer it. It's not costing the taxpayers $$$ for him to bring Eugenie so who cares?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to know how this trip is not costing the taxpayers any money. Also is Prince Andrew living off his military pension? He is no longer on the civil list, so his income must come from somewhere. Perhaps he is getting alimony from the Duchess!!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I would like to know how this trip is not costing the taxpayers any money. Also is Prince Andrew living off his military pension? He is no longer on the civil list, so his income must come from somewhere. Perhaps he is getting alimony from the Duchess!!
If I am not mistaken, Andrew's expenses in relation to his travel with his Trade representative hat on are met by the government or the CBI. He is not paid for this role. His private income is provided by the Queen. In addition, he may have a ilitary pension, and other funds is trust received from his grandmother
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I agree w Marg. How many fathers take their children on business trips? Traveling abroad is far more interesting than traveling in your own backyard. Any of us, or our children, would prefer it. It's not costing the taxpayers $$$ for him to bring Eugenie so who cares?
If I were to send one of my employees on a business trip abroad, I would expect him to be giving his job 100% of his attention, not thinking of the next entertaining jaunt for his daughter, or wondering what she is doing today. How many fathers take their daughters on business trips, very few I should hope. Andrew needs to remember who pays his wages, oops sorry expenses!

As with Beatrice, I expect the British taxpayer will be picking up the cost of her protection officers, the cost of flying them out and back, (and out and back as I recall), their OOPE and the extra money paid for overseas assignments. I can't quite see Andrews hand reaching into his pocket for that. It all sounds wonderful that Andrew paid for a business class ticket, without mentioning which class she used and without mentioning all the periphery like protection officers!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

The protection officer "thing" is the invisible expense everywhere the royals go, be it private or business or whatever. It is very easy to forget who pays for this.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
The protection officer "thing" is the invisible expense everywhere the royals go, be it private or business or whatever. It is very easy to forget who pays for this.
Very true. Whilst I cannot see the point of Andrew taking his daughters on his overseas trips, surely the incremental costs of overseas allowances should not inhibit where the young royals go.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can´t help but think that it is rather nice of him to take her. Now that he is divorced she is his, well, one of his first ladies. She can learn about life as a royal abroad and no doubt it will be nice for her to have some time with her father. I suppose we can criticise a bit too much sometimes.
But I do get a bit sick of the "paying out of his/her own pocket" excuse for every jaunt though.
Anyway I hope that she has a good time, at least it will keep her away from all those nightclubs we hope, and that is what we have wanted for some time.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Very true. Whilst I cannot see the point of Andrew taking his daughters on his overseas trips, surely the incremental costs of overseas allowances should not inhibit where the young royals go.
It is something that should be taken into consideration, especially when stating that it won't cost the taxpayer a penny. If, as was the case with Beatrice, they had to fly two more out after so many hours and then another two because they are only allowed to work so many hours, the costs mount. If Andrew and his ex want their children to travel, then they should perhaps cover the extra costs out of their own bulging pockets.

Tags
princess eugenie