The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Courtier

They both looked like hell at Mahiki...jesus...just hot messes...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Royal Highness

Has Eugenie received her coat of arms yet?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Aristocracy

Unfortunately I think both girls take after their mother when it comes to fashion. Fergie has notorioulsy bad taste in clothes and fashion. Both girls are nice looking, if they could only get their fashion sense straightened out they could be stunning!!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Aristocracy

for some reason eugenie looks like one of the beatles in the 4th pic.....IMO. n horrible outfits i must say......i have a horrid suspicion that sarah helped them pic out those outfits.....
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Royal Highness

wow...a far cry from the birthday pics in the magazine.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
I think it is 16 for light stuff like wine, and 18 for everything else. Eugenie is 18. In Europe you are an adult at 18, that means you can also vote, go out, drive a car in most countries, etc
I believe the Us is the only country that has the drinking age at 21, except of course countries where alcohol is is illegal anyway, like Saudi-Arabia.
16 or 17 can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal if it is bought by an adult and they are accompanied by an adult. NO spirits though

In Scotland, 16/17 year olds can buy beer, wine or cider so long as it's served with a meal and consumed in an area used solely for eating meals

At 18, you are considered an adult and you can buy and consume any alcoholic product.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
16 or 17 can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal if it is bought by an adult and they are accompanied by an adult. NO spirits though

In Scotland, 16/17 year olds can buy beer, wine or cider so long as it's served with a meal and consumed in an area used solely for eating meals

At 18, you are considered an adult and you can buy and consume any alcoholic product.
Ah, ok thanks. In Germany it is basically the same.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Aristocracy

I think Princess Eugenie looked great. Very Kate Moss/Alexa Chung fashion style. Princess Beatrice on the other hand didnt look as good, but they're both dressing fairly fashionably.

I must be really hard to find the right look when you're a young royal.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Courtier

I've seen other photos of both princesses, taken at the same time as those rather unattractive ones reproduced here, and I thought that they looked quite good; even Eugenie's cornflower blue fingernails which matched the pretty colour of her dress were not out of place.

I'd like to think that we can extend some sort of tolerance to these young women. I don't think that they ever look badly dressed, considering their ages (and golly gosh, couldn't it be a whole lot worse?). Both, I've read, have something of an artistic flair, and I'm quite pleased that they feel confident enough to flaunt their personalities and preferences. The days of expecting our princesses to only wear twin-sets and pearls have passed, surely?

Comparisons with their mother are unkind, too, I think. Sarah suffered unreasonable abuse, in my opinion, because she wasn't a skinny, stick-insect, in build. From photos, she doesn't appear to ever have been abnormally large to me, except after the birth of her children, and I'm sure that many here can sympathise with that. Today, Sarah looks svelte, has obviously worked very hard to rehabilitate herself and to accommodate her daughters, but if we dislike her clothes and presentation, who are we to say that she's wrong and we're right? We can disagree, of course, and criticise, for what it's worth, but condemn outright, I wouldn't have thought.

Like Paris Hilton, I have abnormally large feet, though I'm taller than she. However, if my persona were discussed in terms of my feet alone, I'd be most disgruntled and unhappy. Maybe, then, it's possible to desist from commenting on Beatrice's eyes, which, like my big feet, she was born with and can do precious little to alter. And given that so many females go to considerable trouble to adorn their eyes with paint and other artifices to make them appear larger, I think that Princess Bea is particularly fortunate!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
The days of expecting our princesses to only wear twin-sets and pearls have passed, surely?
I don't believe anyone expects them to wear a twinset and pearls, but it would be oh so nice, if just once they managed to look as if they had paid attention to what they were wearing. There are many young women who, with and without the benefit of the money available to these two, who manage to look absolutely wonderful, whilst still looking 'trendy'.

Any young woman is 'allowed' a fashion disaster or two, but they get it consistently wrong.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Gentry

If I were to post my true feelings about this pair of 'beauties',I'd be banned.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't believe anyone expects them to wear a twinset and pearls, but it would be oh so nice, if just once they managed to look as if they had paid attention to what they were wearing.
I actually think they do pay a lot of attention to what they wear. The tunics and tights are a trendy look. The type of girls who really pay attention to the current fashion are the ones who tend to wear this kind of thing at my university.

I doubt Beatrice and Eugenie are thinking about being classic and perfectly dressed, they're more thinking about having fun with the current styles. I don't think they are the best dressers but I do think Eugenie tends to look better than Beatrice.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I actually think they do pay a lot of attention to what they wear. The tunics and tights are a trendy look. The type of girls who really pay attention to the current fashion are the ones who tend to wear this kind of thing at my university.
The tunic and leggings is just one of the fashions at the moment. B & E may follow the latest look, as do many 'youngsters', but they forget good old common sense. Just because the mini may be in vogue, doesn't mean everyone has the figure or youth to wear it successfully.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The tunic and leggings is just one of the fashions at the moment. B & E may follow the latest look, as do many 'youngsters', but they forget good old common sense. Just because the mini may be in vogue, doesn't mean everyone has the figure or youth to wear it successfully.
If they were just heiresses without the HRH in front of their names, nobody would even look at them besides golddiggers.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
If they were just heiresses without the HRH in front of their names, nobody would even look at them besides golddiggers.
A perfect description JoP.

I detest useless freeloaders and I'll be so disappointed if Eugenie follows in the steps of her mother and elder sister.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

I think the girls are beautiful, with such nice skin and lustrous hair. They are obviously confident and I think they are a credit to their parents. However, their fashion choices are not always flattering to them. I agree that they should not be expected to wear twinsets and pearls (although I confess that I often wear twinsets, double row of pearls, pearl stud earrings, brooch and watch) but they really do need to pay attention to whether or not their clothes flatter their figures. When they are with their grandmother, they tend to wear more flattering clothing, but other than that, they don't look so hot. It isn't necessarily the clothing choice itself--it is that the clothing does not flatter them.
I've said it once, I'll say again--they need to watch "What not to wear" and learn a thing or two.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
It isn't necessarily the clothing choice itself--it is that the clothing does not flatter them.
I've said it once, I'll say again--they need to watch "What not to wear" and learn a thing or two.
This is true. However Sarah seems to have the same problem so maybe they just get it from her, I mean maybe they just didn't inherit a natural fashion sense.

More than that though, I can see Sarah encouraging the girls to wear stuff that didn't flatter their figures. It seems in line with her constant talk about self-esteem and not letting criticism get to you.

And really, I think there's so many more important things to focus on than what they wear.

On the other hand, that focus does get kind of unavoidable when they start suggesting they want to define their life around clothing...by which I mainly mean Beatrice's plans to become a fashion designer. I suspect Beatrice really does think she's a fashion expert.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
And really, I think there's so many more important things to focus on than what they wear.

On the other hand, that focus does get kind of unavoidable when they start suggesting they want to define their life around clothing...by which I mainly mean Beatrice's plans to become a fashion designer. I suspect Beatrice really does think she's a fashion expert.
There isn't anything more to focus on with these two though, is there. They go to a nightclub in questionable clothing, emerge sober. They go to a nightclub in questionable clothing and emerge drunk. They very, very occasionally attend a royal event in questionable clothing....

They are 'brought out' with articles in Vanity Fair, with photographs that are so heavily air brushed, it rather proves that they or their mother are not confident with their bodies at all. I'm all for giving a child confidence, but agree with Charles when he said that it is not doing anyone any favours to tell a child they can do or be anything.

The thought of these two in the fashion industry, makes me want to stock up on clothing now.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Gentry

Nice one Skydragon.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Isn't fashion a subjective sense?

I know that I see haute couture collections from time to time and fall about laughing at the wicked jokes that some of the world's greatest designers inflict upon us (exception, in my opinion: Karl Lagerfeld).

I also have seen so-called fashion icons like Kate Moss and Stella McCartney wearing astonishing clothes which I'd certainly allow my daughter to wear but would still be stifling giggles when she did.

These two princesses are still very young, i.e., they're still finding their metier, as it were. Might we defer complete condemnation of them and their sense of style until they're, say, 30 years old, when, presumably, they would have had every opportunity to embrace some sense of fashion.

In sum: the young should really be allowed to express themselves, freely. I think it acceptable to laugh, but not to snigger. Basically, these two princesses still have a little growing up to do, but that's not a crime. Or is it?

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice