The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I have to say it--from what I can see from the side (not a full on photo) she looks nice. Nice dress, flattering cut, hair looks good (as always). But, is it just me, does she look that teenager with the red hair in the TV show "Grounded for Life" ??http://medias.francetv.fr/bibl/url_i...76_144_108.jpg

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Hmmmm. How old was Diana when she married into the family? Her only real criticism was that they didn't know quite what to do with her!
This wasn't the only criticism that Diana had of the royal family - she had several but this criticism was the only one that I found valid because it has been borne out by other royals. And even though Diana went off and did her own thing, the results didn't always turn out well for the reputation of the Royal Family and even she said she made some mistakes in her youth in her early marriage.

Actually I think spending a gap year with a charity didn't really give William and Harry any more direction than Beatrice and it hasn't curbed their more scandalous behavior. I think apart from Anne's kids, they all have this lack of direction to some extent.

Quote:
I also think that if you are a member of the Royal Family, and enjoy all the privileges that it brings, that you have a duty to be involved in the country that gives you that title.
Agreed but then the direction has to come from somewhere. The monarchy has never known what to do with the spares and as long as they don't then we will occasionally see a royal that behaves non-royally. With Beatrice again because of her age at 19 I don't think there is cause for alarm yet. If she were 30, I'd be saying something different.

Its not about giving her excuses because of her age, its just being realistic about how much the type of person one is at 19 determines what they will be like at 25 or at even 30. And the truth is that what Beatrice does at 19 is not a good indicator of what she will do when she is 25 or 30. People's personalities don't get set until they are 30 so there is a lot of scope for change. I imagine what will happen with her in the next 5 years or so after her gap year will determine her future a lot more than this gap year will.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing. I't hard, for example, to believe that Princess Victoria of Sweden is only 5 years younger than Prince William. It feels like Victoria has been donning her tiara on State occasions; meeting heads of State and visiting other countries as an ambassador for her country for ever. Meanwhile, with every passing year, another excuse is given as to why William isn't quite ready to start doing the same things. Apart from the army all he ever does is drink and go countless holidays. For all the perceptions of them, in some quarters, as the superior Royal Family the British monarchy would do well to seek guidance from some other countries as the future dosn't look all that certain anymore.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Don't you mean older
And we don't know for sure what Prince William is doing these days. (Not including the army.)
Old 09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I meant older.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Bea with her boyfriend Dave and Sara Randridge at the Berkeley
Square Ball, London, Britain - 27 Sep 2007 :

* Pic 1 ** Pic 2 *
Thanks, Ice. She looks all-too-familiarly awkward in the 1st photo. And that slouch! [Does her bf ever NOT smile???] She looks more relaxed in the 2nd photo. Who's the older-looking woman she's with? I don't get why she'd want to be photographed (it looks like) behind a bar, but maybe she thinks it's cool. I don't know about the dress . . . okay, enough of my critique.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Personally, I think there is a major difference between the Swedish Royals and the British Royals.
CP Victoria was born to a King and Queen. William and Beatrice were born to a Prince. William as well as Harry and their cousins can afford to play, vacation, party, drink, and God knows what else they do.
Their parents are "princes".
As for Victoria, she has to maintain a certain decorum. Her parents are a King and Queen, therefore the standards are much higher. She does not have the freedom that William and Beatrice have. She has to be mature. She can do what she wants to a certain degree, but she also has to make sure her tiara does not slip in the doing, if you know what I mean.
But then again, this is just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I actually wonder why she poses for pictures like this in the first plsce, like some sort of B-celebrity who is just dying to get her picture in one of the tabloids. And posing with your boyfriend seems to be something new for royalty too, usually they only do that if they are engaged.
As Elspeth and others said, I suspect it would have been wiser if she had spent less time jetsetting with her mother and more time wioth her father or even grandparents.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing. I't hard, for example, to believe that Princess Victoria of Sweden is only 5 years younger than Prince William. It feels like Victoria has been donning her tiara on State occasions; meeting heads of State and visiting other countries as an ambassador for her country for ever. Meanwhile, with every passing year, another excuse is given as to why William isn't quite ready to start doing the same things. Apart from the army all he ever does is drink and go countless holidays. For all the perceptions of them, in some quarters, as the superior Royal Family the British monarchy would do well to seek guidance from some other countries as the future dosn't look all that certain anymore.
I don't live in Europe but from a US perspective, maybe it all comes down to media attention. The BRF is perhaps the most well-known in the world (living in the US, we NEVER have any news on any other royal family except the British unless something really major takes place) so maybe Pss Victoria's actions are not as reported on as William's and his cousins. I dunno . . . Pss Victoria - IMO - has always struck me as being an old person trapped in a young person's body.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing.
Victoria isn't princess Victoria but Crown Princess Victoria, the difference between her and William isn't just 5 years but also she's first in line to the throne and he's one step removed from that. Victoria hasn't being donning her tiara etc forever, she like William has had time to 'train' for her role. At Beatrice's age she was suffering from anorexia, the pressure to be 'crown princess' had got to her. She studied at various universities in Sweden and had some time being annoymous in the US, officially taking short courses at Yale. She's had a short time in the military and this year didn't participate in all that many official events as she was in "diplomatic school" with other potential Swedish diplomats.

The other European heirs are also sons of monarchs, not grandsons or grand-daughters like William, Harry and Beatrice. During their late teens early '20s all of them were studying and had few official engagements. Willem-Alexander spent some time flying in Africa for the Flying Doctors, Frederik worked in Danish embassies, for all of them it wasn't until they were in their 30s that they took on fulltime royal engagements. William, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie have got quite a few more years before they will need or be expected to take on fulltime royal duties. Especially since too, the Queen's cousins are still working royals.

Zara and Peter Philips both had Gap Years before they went on to study and finding some direction in life.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

It's satire but I had to smile...

Princess Beatrice Is Young Victoria » Anorak News

Princess Beatrice Is Young Victoria

ANOTHER day and another outfit for Princess Beatrice.

Bea is dressed in a gown for an appearance in Martin Scorsese’s film based on the life of Bea’s great-great-great-great grandmother, Young Victoria.

In Hollywood, where nepotism makes a casting agent’s job that little bit easier and resumes come with the section “Famous Relatives”, Beatrice would fit right in. The Windsors are our Hollywood Family....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Thanks, Ice. She looks all-too-familiarly awkward in the 1st photo. And that slouch! [Does her bf ever NOT smile???] She looks more relaxed in the 2nd photo. Who's the older-looking woman she's with? I don't get why she'd want to be photographed (it looks like) behind a bar, but maybe she thinks it's cool. I don't know about the dress . . . okay, enough of my critique.
Here are some better pics from that party and the young lady in red

* Bea 1 ** Bea 2 ** Bea 3 *
Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Who's the older-looking woman she's with?
The 'older-looking woman' next to Beatrice is her friend Sara Langridge (not Rangridge). She's the same age as Bea.
RE: Bea's attendance at all these parties and events, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I wonder why she can't do something that has more substance and meaning, or at least have a good mixture of the two. After her interview for her 18th birthday where she talked about how she was 'put on the earth to make a difference' blah blah, I was expecting/hoping to see great things from her in terms of charity work. Maybe she should do something to prove she actually cares instead of just saying it.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I'm sure if the media were hot on their trail, they'd find enough embarassing pictures of Crown Princess Victoria and her boyfriend Daniel. But Victoria is the heir to the throne and a woman and so she is much careful.

If Beatrice were heir to the throne, I think she'd be as careful as Victoria. However a lot of royal watchers complain that Victoria is not stylish enough and is too boring compared to her more exciting sister Madeleine.

So the grass is always greener.....
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Serene Highness

I used Victoria as an EXAMPLE of European Royalty getting involved in Royal life, not as the be all and end all! Yes she is next in line as opposed to William, Beatrice etc who are not but her siblings have been just as active in such things over the years. There is a state visit to Britain by the King of Saudi Arabia coming up in October. William, Harry and at least Princess Beatrice should be at the State banquet to greet him along with the other Royals but I doubt if it will happen.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I used Victoria as an EXAMPLE of European Royalty getting involved in Royal life, not as the be all and end all! Yes she is next in line as opposed to William, Beatrice etc who are not but her siblings have been just as active in such things over the years. There is a state visit to Britain by the King of Saudi Arabia coming up in October. William, Harry and at least Princess Beatrice should be at the State banquet to greet him along with the other Royals but I doubt if it will happen.
To be relevant if comparisons are to be made with European royals then the British children of the monarch's workload is the one to look at. All the European royals are children of the monarch not grand-children, therefore the comparison needs to be made with Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward and what they are doing and when they started with State dinners etc. They will be at the State dinner for the Saudi King.

Back to Beatrice, she is 5th in line to the throne, here's what the European royals 5th in line are doing.

Belgium
Princess Astrid, 45 years old and is a full time royal. Her oldest son, closer in age to Beatrice and like her a grandchild of a monarch, Amedeo is 22 years old, 6th in line to the throne. After spending a year as a military cadet is now a fulltime student at the London School of Economics. He carries out no official duties, doesn't attend State banquets. His sister Maria Laura who is the same age as Beatrice, their birthdays are a few days apart is also a fulltime student, she doesn't and hasn't attended State banquets, she like Beatrice is the grandchild of a monarch.

Denmark
5th is 8 year old Prince Nicolai safe to say he doesn't carry out any official engagements nor does he attend banquets.

Luxembourg
5th is GD Henri's youngest brother Prince Guillaume ( 40 something?) , he doesn't carry out any official engagements and doesn't attend State banquets.

Netherlands
5th is 38 year old Prince Constantijn, he works fulltime in Brussels, he doesn't get an income from the State. Carries out a few engagements and attends State Banquets rarely, last time was when WA and Maxima were on an official visit to Australia in Nov. 2006. He was studying well into his 30's.

Norway
5th is 4 year old Maud Angelica Behn, doesn't carry out any engagements and never will as she's not titled.

Spain
5th is 9 year old Froilan de Marichalar, son of Infanta Elena. Doesn't carry out engagements and won't in the future either.

Sweden
There is no 5th, the line of succession is
Victoria
Carl Philip
Madeleine
The King's sisters aren't in the line of succession as before 1980 it was males only succession. Carl Philip most of this year has been in the US and has not attended official events. Madeleine does a few engagements, more than her brother.

A better comparison for William is HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg, they are the same age, both are 25 years old. Guillaume this year didn't attend the National Day celebrations as he had university exams, Guillaume also attended Sandhurst, but before university, not after like William. Guillaume is first in line, not second like William and attends few functions. His brother Felix at 23 works fulltime in Switzerland and doesn't carry out any official engagement, he's second in line, like William.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

I just received Geoffrey Munn's "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" and I was looking at the painting of Queen Victoria's coronation and I was struck by how much Bea looks like QV in those pics we have of her in costume dress. There is a resemblance indeed!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I just received Geoffrey Munn's "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" and I was looking at the painting of Queen Victoria's coronation and I was struck by how much Bea looks like QV in those pics we have of her in costume dress. There is a resemblance indeed!
I have always said that! She def. does.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone have a picture of Queen Victoria at her coronation so I can see how much they look alike?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 PM

I didn't see this posted yet. It's the gallery on ABACA from the filming on 26 September.
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
I agree that she really does look remarkably like QV looked on Coronation Day. I don't actually have a pic or link handy of the Queen Empress being crowned, though it's certainly a compliment to Beatrice, as Victoria was very pretty at her Coronation.

Tags
princess beatrice