Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 8: September-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What disturbs me is that people expect the same accountability from these families that inherit their position as they do from politicians that campaign and get votes to win their office. For the heir perhaps yes, but for the other members of the family it starts getting unrealistic. If people want that type of accountability even from someone like Beatrice who is fifth in line to the throne and whi is not getting any public monies to the throne perhaps it is time to rethink and have another form of government.

I can only speak for myself, but for me it is a difference if we deal with "ex-"Royals or with Royals from states where the head of the family still occupies the throne. Beatrice is HRH - she is socially considered to be one of the top ladies in her country. While nowadays curtseying is not longer required, it was till not so long ago that close to all other women of the UK and the Commonwealth would have been required to curtsey to that young miss!

IMHO it's a matter of give and take - you can see with Camilla how she gives for what she could take after her marriage. But with beatrice so far I see only taking. And while I accept that she is young and had an unfortunate fate with that mother, I believe she was raised in a kind of opera world of royality produced by her mother and her acquaintances.
While I'm convinced that soe day she will wake up and realise what is going on with all those slimeys around her, I'm still annoyed that this kind of portrait of a young girl is presented to those Britains who still believe in their monarchy and their social system.

i'm sort of torn on this one. while she represents the RF in everything she does (whether she likes it or not) i feel she needs to buck up and start showing some responsibility and maturity. some say "she's only 19" but this is just excusing her. i'm sure there's more than a few of us here at the forums that were living on their own and being serious about life when they were that age. then again since she doesn't receive income from the civil list then i also feel that she doesn't owe the public anything. if HM wants to support any of her family members financially, and is doing that with Bea, that's her business. yes HM's income is from the public but aren't we all ultimately supported by the public? once we've done our job and received our pay, what we do with it is our business (as long as it's legal).

Beatrix i don't think we need to worry about her getting an academy award (i'm sorry i don't know the UK equivalent) for her part in the film. her little flirtation with acting will fade away and be forgotten about very quickly and therefore she won't be taking the bread and butter away from any real, deserving actors again. :)

Last edited:
Nell Gwyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here is a charming actress with intimate royal connections;)
Who said life was fair? I simply said a member of the Royal family playing actress might be a laugh to them but it's someone's job their taking. I don't know of any other instance when a Royal has used their connections to get a part in a film. Let me know who did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if the royal family is to be at all significant, the members who still count as royal - who have HRHs - should be held to a higher standard of accountability.

The queen has the power to hold Beatrice accountable because she is the source of Beatrice's title and income. The fact that the queen is not publicly holding Beatrice accountable tells me that Her Majesty is waiting to see how things shake out and that Beatrice is too young now to make a final judgment. She is probably also more concerned with William and Harry right now because they are older and closer to the throne. But the Queen has always taken care with Beatrix and Eugenie after the fallout of their parent's marriage so I find it hard to believe that she doesn't know what is going on. I don't think the Queen's lack of action is based on ignorance. It may though may speak more to her temperament; I've heard she doesn't like to get involved in the personal lives of her family members.

I think a larger problem is that the institution doesn't know what to do with the royals who are closer to the throne. Harry seemed set for a military career for which he was well suited and a career which I was positive would sort out what personal problems he might have had but the fiasco over his appointment in Iraq has pretty much left a bad taste in people's mouth that his military career is powder puff and not for real. Its certainly going to affect his reputation among his fellow officers which isn't going to help Harry grow up any.

As for William, there seems to be some sort of plan to teach him the ropes but he's done a bank internship and picked up a couple of charities so the plan is not really clear to the rest of us; its definitely not as clear as the Queen's plan to bring Charles up. Granted Charles was heir to the throne and William is not but it is also just as likely that William will have a shorter wait for his turn than Charles did. This would be a reason for earlier preparation not later.

As far as what role Beatrice and Eugenie might have in the royal family, I don't think the Royal Family is there yet. Princess Anne and Prince Andrew were relatively lucky in that their interests fit in well with their royal roles and family history so they continued their careers without a beat. Anne was an accomplished horsewoman and Andrew was very athletic and fit into a military role at a time when royals could still fight.

The only criticism that Diana made of the royal family that I thought was valid was when she said that the Royal Family had no idea what to do with her and what her role would be. I think that is a problem because of what happened to the reputation of the Royal Family when Diana decided to make out her own role. But in hindsight, without any clear guidance, what else was Diana going to do? I don't think the situation has changed much then.

I don't think Beatrice or Eugenie or William or Harry has been given their roles and expectations from the Queen. If she has given expectations privately, they have not been made public so I find it meaningless to judge them on how well they live up to the HRH. Without a clear purpose, people, especially young people, may feel aimless and as long as their royal titles will preempt them like Harry from certain situations, then I think the institution needs to set up the expectations for what they can do and what they can't.

I'm a bit concerned for Beatrice's sake that she wants to become a mini-Mummy, I think she can do a lot better. I hope that she becomes more focused and mature but until there is more clarity on what the Queen wants the roles of her grandchildren to be, I think any judgement on how well they are living up to their HRH status is a bit premature.

As much as I admire the Queen for how she carries out her role as monarch, I have my reservations for how she carries out her role as the head of the House of Windsor and how Her Majesty handles that role is probably going to have a longer term impact on the monarchy than her own role as monarch.

Last edited:
well she is very close to her mother which is nice, scores of daughters and mothers do not have that. As far as I am concerned she can fool around for a few years more and then she will probably marry and much depends on her choice of husband, it can make or brake her. Her character is different from slightly older femaile royals who do not do much either than be respectable. Helen Taylor is a respresentative of Armani and Sarah Chatto draws a bit and as far as I know Serena Linley does not do anything specific expect have a family.

Thanks Antoniane and Warren for the photos. I really like that dress! I wonder if the other extras in a similar role as Pss B are wearing that same dress. I thought I read someplace it was specially made for her.

Thanks Susan Alicia for th like about the actress/mistress. I find it rather amusing (in a distasteful kind of way, of course) that all these mistresses of past monarchs (and members of Royal Families) were so well-known and almost flaunted. Even accepted in some social circles!

As for Pss Beatrice's role/duty, who knows? I think once the present Queen passes on, there will be many changes in the BRF. I also think that as generations move on, the public will have different expectations of the RF: William's generation will certainly feel differently towards the RF than his grandmother's generation did. Look at how the perception/media attention/accountability has changed for them since the 70s even. We don't know these people, only what we read/see about them. They could be the biggest jackasses that ever lived or the sweetest most sincere of ppl. Probably somewhere in between, like the rest of us. I hope the "younger" gen. of royals do okay. I think they will. I see Pss Beatrice becoming an asset to the RF down the road. Much like Pss Alexandra. Hopefully she'll have a happy marriage, healthy children and find a niche for herself she will enjoy that will only enhance the image of her family. Right now she's still young and having fun. But I don't think she's gone too far over the edge. And she probably won't.

Beatrice is indulging herself right now--playing actress, fashion designer, astronaut, etc....during her gap year which, in my opinion, should really follow the example that William and Harry set by working in third world countries. Then, she needs to attend University and get a degree. After that, I do think that she should do something with her experience as someone with dyslexia. I personally would like to see some Royals get involved in Autism Awareness, but that is another topic for another thread.

As for the HRH, I also think that while she was born with it, and it is thus, hereditary, that she should also have to earn it with some some charity work or becoming the patron of some organizations. So many keep saying, "She's only 19!" Hmmmm. How old was Diana when she married into the family? Her only real criticism was that they didn't know quite what to do with her--well, Bea has grown up in that family and should have a bit more direction (again ,she should follow her cousins' examples). Diana really went the extra mile early on in her marriage--

I also think that if you are a member of the Royal Family, and enjoy all the privileges that it brings, that you have a duty to be involved in the country that gives you that title. The Monarchy may well fizzle out because these young royals have no clear cut direction, and that is very sad. Hopefully,Granny will have a 'discussion" with these grandchildren!

I am in full agreement with the member of this Forum, who stated that Princess Beatrice should have avoided engaging into ventures such as acting. She is old enough to discern right and wrong actions.

Last edited:
Pics 27.9.2007

Bea with her boyfriend Dave and Sara Randridge at the Berkeley
Square Ball, London, Britain - 27 Sep 2007 :

* Pic 1 ** Pic 2 *

Hmmmm. How old was Diana when she married into the family? Her only real criticism was that they didn't know quite what to do with her!

This wasn't the only criticism that Diana had of the royal family - she had several but this criticism was the only one that I found valid because it has been borne out by other royals. And even though Diana went off and did her own thing, the results didn't always turn out well for the reputation of the Royal Family and even she said she made some mistakes in her youth in her early marriage.

Actually I think spending a gap year with a charity didn't really give William and Harry any more direction than Beatrice and it hasn't curbed their more scandalous behavior. I think apart from Anne's kids, they all have this lack of direction to some extent.

I also think that if you are a member of the Royal Family, and enjoy all the privileges that it brings, that you have a duty to be involved in the country that gives you that title.

Agreed but then the direction has to come from somewhere. The monarchy has never known what to do with the spares and as long as they don't then we will occasionally see a royal that behaves non-royally. With Beatrice again because of her age at 19 I don't think there is cause for alarm yet. If she were 30, I'd be saying something different.

Its not about giving her excuses because of her age, its just being realistic about how much the type of person one is at 19 determines what they will be like at 25 or at even 30. And the truth is that what Beatrice does at 19 is not a good indicator of what she will do when she is 25 or 30. People's personalities don't get set until they are 30 so there is a lot of scope for change. I imagine what will happen with her in the next 5 years or so after her gap year will determine her future a lot more than this gap year will.

I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing. I't hard, for example, to believe that Princess Victoria of Sweden is only 5 years younger than Prince William. It feels like Victoria has been donning her tiara on State occasions; meeting heads of State and visiting other countries as an ambassador for her country for ever. Meanwhile, with every passing year, another excuse is given as to why William isn't quite ready to start doing the same things. Apart from the army all he ever does is drink and go countless holidays. For all the perceptions of them, in some quarters, as the superior Royal Family the British monarchy would do well to seek guidance from some other countries as the future dosn't look all that certain anymore.

Don't you mean older ;)
And we don't know for sure what Prince William is doing these days. (Not including the army.)

Bea with her boyfriend Dave and Sara Randridge at the Berkeley
Square Ball, London, Britain - 27 Sep 2007 :

* Pic 1 ** Pic 2 *

Thanks, Ice. She looks all-too-familiarly awkward in the 1st photo. And that slouch! [Does her bf ever NOT smile???] She looks more relaxed in the 2nd photo. Who's the older-looking woman she's with? I don't get why she'd want to be photographed (it looks like) behind a bar, but maybe she thinks it's cool. I don't know about the dress . . . okay, enough of my critique.

Personally, I think there is a major difference between the Swedish Royals and the British Royals.
CP Victoria was born to a King and Queen. William and Beatrice were born to a Prince. William as well as Harry and their cousins can afford to play, vacation, party, drink, and God knows what else they do.
Their parents are "princes".
As for Victoria, she has to maintain a certain decorum. Her parents are a King and Queen, therefore the standards are much higher. She does not have the freedom that William and Beatrice have. She has to be mature. She can do what she wants to a certain degree, but she also has to make sure her tiara does not slip in the doing, if you know what I mean.
But then again, this is just my opinion.

I actually wonder why she poses for pictures like this in the first plsce, like some sort of B-celebrity who is just dying to get her picture in one of the tabloids. And posing with your boyfriend seems to be something new for royalty too, usually they only do that if they are engaged.
As Elspeth and others said, I suspect it would have been wiser if she had spent less time jetsetting with her mother and more time wioth her father or even grandparents.

I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing. I't hard, for example, to believe that Princess Victoria of Sweden is only 5 years younger than Prince William. It feels like Victoria has been donning her tiara on State occasions; meeting heads of State and visiting other countries as an ambassador for her country for ever. Meanwhile, with every passing year, another excuse is given as to why William isn't quite ready to start doing the same things. Apart from the army all he ever does is drink and go countless holidays. For all the perceptions of them, in some quarters, as the superior Royal Family the British monarchy would do well to seek guidance from some other countries as the future dosn't look all that certain anymore.

I don't live in Europe but from a US perspective, maybe it all comes down to media attention. The BRF is perhaps the most well-known in the world (living in the US, we NEVER have any news on any other royal family except the British unless something really major takes place) so maybe Pss Victoria's actions are not as reported on as William's and his cousins. I dunno . . . Pss Victoria - IMO - has always struck me as being an old person trapped in a young person's body.

I think the contrast between the British and European young Royals is astonishing.
Victoria isn't princess Victoria but Crown Princess Victoria, the difference between her and William isn't just 5 years but also she's first in line to the throne and he's one step removed from that. Victoria hasn't being donning her tiara etc forever, she like William has had time to 'train' for her role. At Beatrice's age she was suffering from anorexia, the pressure to be 'crown princess' had got to her. She studied at various universities in Sweden and had some time being annoymous in the US, officially taking short courses at Yale. She's had a short time in the military and this year didn't participate in all that many official events as she was in "diplomatic school" with other potential Swedish diplomats.

The other European heirs are also sons of monarchs, not grandsons or grand-daughters like William, Harry and Beatrice. During their late teens early '20s all of them were studying and had few official engagements. Willem-Alexander spent some time flying in Africa for the Flying Doctors, Frederik worked in Danish embassies, for all of them it wasn't until they were in their 30s that they took on fulltime royal engagements. William, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie have got quite a few more years before they will need or be expected to take on fulltime royal duties. Especially since too, the Queen's cousins are still working royals.

Zara and Peter Philips both had Gap Years before they went on to study and finding some direction in life.

It's satire but I had to smile... ;)

Princess Beatrice Is Young Victoria » Anorak News

Princess Beatrice Is Young Victoria

ANOTHER day and another outfit for Princess Beatrice.

Bea is dressed in a gown for an appearance in Martin Scorsese’s film based on the life of Bea’s great-great-great-great grandmother, Young Victoria.

In Hollywood, where nepotism makes a casting agent’s job that little bit easier and resumes come with the section “Famous Relatives”, Beatrice would fit right in. The Windsors are our Hollywood Family....

Thanks, Ice. She looks all-too-familiarly awkward in the 1st photo. And that slouch! [Does her bf ever NOT smile???] She looks more relaxed in the 2nd photo. Who's the older-looking woman she's with? I don't get why she'd want to be photographed (it looks like) behind a bar, but maybe she thinks it's cool. I don't know about the dress . . . okay, enough of my critique.
Here are some better pics from that party and the young lady in red ;)

* Bea 1 ** Bea 2 ** Bea 3 *

Who's the older-looking woman she's with?
The 'older-looking woman' next to Beatrice is her friend Sara Langridge (not Rangridge). She's the same age as Bea.
RE: Bea's attendance at all these parties and events, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I wonder why she can't do something that has more substance and meaning, or at least have a good mixture of the two. After her interview for her 18th birthday where she talked about how she was 'put on the earth to make a difference' blah blah, I was expecting/hoping to see great things from her in terms of charity work. Maybe she should do something to prove she actually cares instead of just saying it.

I'm sure if the media were hot on their trail, they'd find enough embarassing pictures of Crown Princess Victoria and her boyfriend Daniel. But Victoria is the heir to the throne and a woman and so she is much careful.

If Beatrice were heir to the throne, I think she'd be as careful as Victoria. However a lot of royal watchers complain that Victoria is not stylish enough and is too boring compared to her more exciting sister Madeleine.

So the grass is always greener.....

I used Victoria as an EXAMPLE of European Royalty getting involved in Royal life, not as the be all and end all! Yes she is next in line as opposed to William, Beatrice etc who are not but her siblings have been just as active in such things over the years. There is a state visit to Britain by the King of Saudi Arabia coming up in October. William, Harry and at least Princess Beatrice should be at the State banquet to greet him along with the other Royals but I doubt if it will happen.

I used Victoria as an EXAMPLE of European Royalty getting involved in Royal life, not as the be all and end all! Yes she is next in line as opposed to William, Beatrice etc who are not but her siblings have been just as active in such things over the years. There is a state visit to Britain by the King of Saudi Arabia coming up in October. William, Harry and at least Princess Beatrice should be at the State banquet to greet him along with the other Royals but I doubt if it will happen.

To be relevant if comparisons are to be made with European royals then the British children of the monarch's workload is the one to look at. All the European royals are children of the monarch not grand-children, therefore the comparison needs to be made with Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward and what they are doing and when they started with State dinners etc. They will be at the State dinner for the Saudi King.

Back to Beatrice, she is 5th in line to the throne, here's what the European royals 5th in line are doing.

Belgium
Princess Astrid, 45 years old and is a full time royal. Her oldest son, closer in age to Beatrice and like her a grandchild of a monarch, Amedeo is 22 years old, 6th in line to the throne. After spending a year as a military cadet is now a fulltime student at the London School of Economics. He carries out no official duties, doesn't attend State banquets. His sister Maria Laura who is the same age as Beatrice, their birthdays are a few days apart is also a fulltime student, she doesn't and hasn't attended State banquets, she like Beatrice is the grandchild of a monarch.

Denmark
5th is 8 year old Prince Nicolai safe to say he doesn't carry out any official engagements nor does he attend banquets.

Luxembourg
5th is GD Henri's youngest brother Prince Guillaume ( 40 something?) , he doesn't carry out any official engagements and doesn't attend State banquets.

Netherlands
5th is 38 year old Prince Constantijn, he works fulltime in Brussels, he doesn't get an income from the State. Carries out a few engagements and attends State Banquets rarely, last time was when WA and Maxima were on an official visit to Australia in Nov. 2006. He was studying well into his 30's.

Norway
5th is 4 year old Maud Angelica Behn, doesn't carry out any engagements and never will as she's not titled.

Spain
5th is 9 year old Froilan de Marichalar, son of Infanta Elena. Doesn't carry out engagements and won't in the future either.

Sweden
There is no 5th, the line of succession is
Victoria
Carl Philip
Madeleine
The King's sisters aren't in the line of succession as before 1980 it was males only succession. Carl Philip most of this year has been in the US and has not attended official events. Madeleine does a few engagements, more than her brother.

A better comparison for William is HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg, they are the same age, both are 25 years old. Guillaume this year didn't attend the National Day celebrations as he had university exams, Guillaume also attended Sandhurst, but before university, not after like William. Guillaume is first in line, not second like William and attends few functions. His brother Felix at 23 works fulltime in Switzerland and doesn't carry out any official engagement, he's second in line, like William.

Last edited:
I just received Geoffrey Munn's "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" and I was looking at the painting of Queen Victoria's coronation and I was struck by how much Bea looks like QV in those pics we have of her in costume dress. There is a resemblance indeed!

I just received Geoffrey Munn's "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" and I was looking at the painting of Queen Victoria's coronation and I was struck by how much Bea looks like QV in those pics we have of her in costume dress. There is a resemblance indeed!

I have always said that! She def. does.

Does anyone have a picture of Queen Victoria at her coronation so I can see how much they look alike?
Thanks

I didn't see this posted yet. It's the gallery on ABACA from the filming on 26 September.
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
I agree that she really does look remarkably like QV looked on Coronation Day. I don't actually have a pic or link handy of the Queen Empress being crowned,:sad: though it's certainly a compliment to Beatrice, as Victoria was very pretty at her Coronation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom