Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 7: May-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know what Bea is doing for her gap year???was she going to help her mom in newyork? + does anyone know what uni shes got into?

Hey..i dont know if any one is interested, but u can watch a clip of her and sarah from the fashion show thing on youtube. I dont know how to post the link but type in Fashion for relief runway show 2007 and it has like a 3 second bit of them, but its really funny the way they walk :D

Does any one know what Bea is doing for her gap year???was she going to help her mom in newyork? + does anyone know what uni shes got into?

Today's Telegraph has some answers and information: Building the Princess Beatrice brand - Telegraph

Building the Princess Beatrice brand

The past week has made something else clear: a concerted effort to build "Brand Beatrice" is under way, with a string of projects in the pipeline.

After her appearance on the catwalk came the announcement that Beatrice, who is fifth in line to the throne, is to make her cinematic debut with a minor part in a film about her great-great-great-great-great grandmother called The Young Victoria, written by Julian Fellowes and co-produced by the Duchess of York.
Beatrice, 19, who is on a "gap" year, will also shortly launch her own line of clothing. The label will be called "Bobcat". The princess is said to have started sketching designs for her first collection.
Then, there are well-publicised plans for Beatrice to be the first member of the Royal Family to be blasted into space, which have done much to help publicise Virgin Galactic, Sir Richard Branson's space-tourism project – which also happens to employ her American boyfriend, Dave Clark."

plus more info.

Hmmmm....I believe there has been some photoshop editing/airbrushing on that pic the Telegraph has of Sarah and Princess Bea on the catwalk. Bea's waist is not that tiny--it doesn't look her body at all, which is a pity because she has a lovely figure.The telegraph is sending the wrong message.

I don't like all this "stuff" she is doing. As she has been touted as the "brainiest royal" she should go to college. This gap year sounds overfilled and I worry that she will get sidetracked.

Princess Beatrice looks good on the catwalk and wow! that beautiful hair.

I don't like all this "stuff" she is doing. As she has been touted as the "brainiest royal" she should go to college. This gap year sounds overfilled and I worry that she will get sidetracked.

The "brainiest royal" stuff is crap anyway. I'm sure she is intelligent as anyone else, but "brainiest royal"? I doubt that very much. The subjects she took for A Level are easy passes. I mean, as long as you study and do the minimum amount of the memorizing, you can ace Drama and Film Studies, and whatever else she took, art or history, or maybe it was art history.
It's not like Prince William at all, who took Biology and got a C. Getting a C in Biology is hard. The memorization and understanding required for Biology is much more intense. I'm sure if William had taken Bea's subjects, he would have gotten straight A's too. Anyone with half a brain would.

The subjects she took for A Level are easy passes. I mean, as long as you study and do the minimum amount of the memorizing, you can ace Drama and Film Studies, and whatever else she took, art or history, or maybe it was art history.
She got an A pass in Drama and B passes in History and film studies, none of which require anything more than you mention, IMO.:flowers:

She got an A pass in Drama and B passes in History and film studies, none of which require anything more than you mention, IMO.:flowers:

As a teacher of History at the level that Bea just passed it (albeit in a different country) I can assure you that it isn't just memorising. In fact 'just memorising' will result in a very mediocre mark.

Students are required to analyse the information and support their arguments with relevant historical information which is not just facts but different opinions of different historians, taking into account their particular biases etc. A type of question that students would be asked to write would be: "Evaluate the extent to which Nazi racial policy was responsible for the defeat of Germany in World War II." (This is a question I set my students as a practice question for their upcoming HSC exam. To write a response you would need to discuss the racial policy, the whole range of reasons for the defeat of Germany, the different opinions on that defeat (and their are literally hundreds although students would only need to show an understanding of about three or four differeing opinions - e.g. Soviets won it, lack of resources at home, Americans won it, resistance groups etc - and name the historians who take each view), shoot down the opinions with which the students disagrees and say why backing that opinion up with historical information and other historians opinions as well as make a final judgement as to the extent that racial policy was a cause of the defeat. This is not simply 'memorising' information but applying quite a lot of information to a given question.

In NSW Modern History and Biology are regarded as equally difficult because of the different skills involved. In fact Modern History is seen as one of the hardest subjects due to the in depth level of writing required. To give you an idea, when I did my university degree in History in the 70s I wasn't required to use the skills now required from final year students in NSW and in England for their A - levels (we do have a harder course which is now the level of the honours degrees when I was at uni but that is for the very best students).

To say that History is an easy subject really shows very little understanding of the nature of the course and the exams in this day and age. Dates etc are a very minor part of the course (in fact I tell my students that dates aren't that important at all - I also mark the HSC here and have given full marks on many occasions to students who have the dates wrong but their arguments are so good that that error is ignored.)

I don't know anything about the A - level Drama course, but if it is anything like the NSW Drama course it to requires a lot more than memorising - it requires a lot of analysis of techniques as well. Not to mention the fact that students are required to write lenthgy essays and do dramatic performances which count for a large quantity of the marks.

Film Study is a mandatory part of all of our English syllabi (in NSW at least 2 units of English is mandatory for the HSC) so much so that our students are spending a day at school during the upcoming holidays watching 4 different versions of King Lear so that they can write about the play itself and the different ways of presenting it in their HSC exams in October. They have also seen two stage performances of the play.

The NSW HSC requires students to attempt at least 10 units across at least 4 subjects of which 2 units must be English unlike the English A - level exam but the standards required for each course is similar as the NSW syllabi writers and the English syllabi writers do look at each others syllabi when rewriting their own. Not surprising when you consider that the top bloke in the English education system Ken Boston was the top guy here in NSW for many years.

Last edited:
To say that History is an easy subject really shows very little understanding of the nature of the course and the exams in this day and age. Dates etc are a very minor part of the course (in fact I tell my students that dates aren't that important at all - I also mark the HSC here and have given full marks on many occasions to students who have the dates wrong but their arguments are so good that that error is ignored.)

I am a graduate student of history. At this level, yes, it is complicated, but not at secondary school level. {Personal comment deleted - Elspeth}
My case rests: Biology is much harder, period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have degrees in English Literature (not too hard, to be honest), Communication Sciences and Disorders (VERY HARD) and am working on a graduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders as well. From the view point of someone who has two completely opposite degrees--Princess Bea took some easy classes.

Now, here is a photo of her (don't know how old it is) but I like this has. It looks much better than those other things she has been sporting (or rather, sporting her)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1945000/images/_1948219_princess_beatrice.jpg

As a teacher of History at the level that Bea just passed it (albeit in a different country) I can assure you that it isn't just memorising. In fact 'just memorising' will result in a very mediocre mark.

I second that. I had history and chemistry along with English and German literature as the courses for the German "Abitur" (the "A-levels" here) in which I had to write exams. I always loved history and did chemistry because I had to. But I only got 7 out of 15 points in history and 13 out of 15 in chemistry, because the history exam was so much more difficult and required so much information I obviously didn't have at that time. My teacher was so unhappy, as I had previously always been around 13 to 14 point, that he offered to take me into an additional verbal exam where I could have had another chance to get more points. Well, I had acquired enough points during the three years leading up to the final exams to get a place at university, so I declined.

Just as an example from my own experience that one shouldn't underestimate history as a topic.

I am a graduate student of history. At this level, yes, it is complicated, but not at secondary school level. {deleted for consistency with original - Elspeth} My case rests: Biology is much harder, period.

{Response to deleted comments removed - Elspeth}

But... I am a History teacher (I have never claimed to be the only one on this board by the way) who does know the standards that are required by students at the end of High School in my own country and in the UK after discussions with a number of colleagues who have taught there. I teach in a system that requires its students to write complex essays that 30 years ago would have been expected of Honours and other post-graduate levels of History. Historiography is absolutely essential for students of history in High School here. No historiography in the history essays and you will struggle to get more than 12/25. Straight narratives get 12-14/25 in our system - it is the analysis and historiography that is important.

As for Biology - here Biology is rated at the same level of difficulty as Modern History (it scales the same in our exam system which is where we get the rating from).

{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
It was very interesting to read about your opinions, thanks :flowers:

After the dinner at the Cirpriani restaurant, the night was not over yet
for Beatrice, she also went to the Mahiki nightclub with her mother:

* Bea 1 ** Bea 2 ** Bea with her mother *
Thanks for the pics, Ice. I'm glad we're seeing a bit more of Beatrice out and about. I know it's evening wear, but I wish she'd add some color to her wardrobe.

Oh yeah, not graceful--a little lumbersome.
Here's the link:
YouTube - Fashion for Relief Runway Show London 2007

Cool video - thank you. However, I so did not like the short clip they had of Pss Beatrice and Sarah. It was not pleasant as they both (mostly Pss B) quite ungraceful and almost as though they were stomping down the runway. I guess the runway is more difficult to master than it appears.

Cool video - thank you. However, I so did not like the short clip they had of Pss Beatrice and Sarah. It was not pleasant as they both (mostly Pss B) quite ungraceful and almost as though they were stomping down the runway. I guess the runway is more difficult to master than it appears.
They always seem to stomp, don't they. :lol:

Note to Princess : If you want a social fashion accessory for goodness sake get yourself a gay man, drop your mother. Honestly. 'Hey Bea, wanna come back to my place?'......'Mum, you up for it?'. I mean, what is her mentality? The only place I'd ever take my mother is off a cliff, ok so the relationship is different but I still know that mummy jewellery is boring in the extreme.

Note to Princess : If you want a social fashion accessory for goodness sake get yourself a gay man, drop your mother. Honestly. 'Hey Bea, wanna come back to my place?'......'Mum, you up for it?'. I mean, what is her mentality? The only place I'd ever take my mother is off a cliff, ok so the relationship is different but I still know that mummy jewellery is boring in the extreme.
Almost always guaranteed to give us all a giggle! Thank you BeatrixFan.:flowers::ROFLMAO:

Too funny, BxFan. But very true. I myself have several.

while being "friends" with your children is wonderful instead of always playing the "parent" it can sometimes be iffy. it appears as though sarah has at least got that right. from what we know the girls appear to be well behaved and we haven't heard of anything scandalous. at this age, at least for bea, i don't think their "friendship" will cause any problems...at least i hope not!

Putting Bea in this Queen Victoria film as a Lady in Waiting is definately one of Fergie's worst ideas too. I hate to say but Sarah Ferguson is proving to be a real curse to that girl.

Putting Bea in this Queen Victoria film as a Lady in Waiting is definately one of Fergie's worst ideas too. I hate to say but Sarah Ferguson is proving to be a real curse to that girl.

Next time Fergie will produce a film festuring Bea as Elizabeth I. due to her hair and her bloodlines...

I mean, since when did Sarah Ferguson have a clue about movies? I would have thought her style was more in the line of pantomime.

Princess Beatrice in period costume on the set of 'The Young
Victoria' movie, in which she has a role during the coronation
scene Princess, Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln, Britain - 26 Sep 2007

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Picture gallery from isifa

Probably Old Vicky is rotating in her grave by know and I would love to know what HM is thinking about her granddaughter... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Those are not the most flattering photos...

Thanks, Ice. They're not too bad. I like the dress itself. Pss B does look alot like a young Queen Victoria. I prefer B's hair down, though.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but when it comes to Beatrice, a cataract makes the view much more pleasant. Thats why any caring mother would tell her she looks ghastly and suggest she stays the other side of the camera. It's like these parents who tell their talentless children that they're the next Christina Aguilera and shove them on Pop Idol where they make themselves look like complete idiots and get their hearts broken when it's revealed all those people clapping after they've sung are glad that it's over. Bea is turning into a Pop Idol contestant but she seems to think she's sort of Helen Mirren. The girl's mad, the mother's worse.

Probably Old Vicky is rotating in her grave by know and I would love to know what HM is thinking about her granddaughter... :rolleyes:

Probably, no worse than her great great grandson marrying her son's mistress great grandaughter and his mistress.

Beatrice is not a beauty, but there are almost none amongst the RF that are. Lady Gariella and Lady Helen aside. Zara, too. The rest are hardly prime specimens for beauty. So, to be so unkind to a young girl is really sad. I think whomever talked them into this folly is a fool. That they accepted in unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom