Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 16: July 2015-June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea is not signed on with APB, but is seeking public speaking companies

Bea is not signed on with APB, but is seeking public speaking companies!
DM Asked if she would pocket potential future speaking fees or give them to charity, the source said: ‘She will be paid for them but will consider each one on a case by case basis. If she was talking about a particular charity, for example, then it would be likely the fee would go to that charity.She is not expecting this to be a full-time career. She works in private equity in New York. That is her long-term plan.’

Buckingham Palace did not comment. But hours after the Daily Mail made inquiries, Beatrice’s speaker profile was removed from APB’s website.
A source close to the princess said she was mortified about what had been written and claimed that the information had been put up accidentally by a company intern.
They said: ‘This is a complete nightmare, poor girl. She is talking to APB but has not signed up. Beatrice primarily wants to talk about charity issues – dyslexia, education and women’s rights – with the money going to charities she is involved with.
‘She was approached by them, it is preliminary stages and it is very much primarily as to whether she can help her charities. She is approaching this as a professional businesswoman and is adamant that she should not be billed as a member of the Royal Family.
‘She is engaging with a number of public speaking companies.’
Princess Beatrice of Yok cashes in on the after-dinner speaking circuit  | Daily Mail Online

A source close to the princess said she was mortified about what had been written and claimed that the information had been put up accidentally by a company intern.

A company intern ? Oh please ...

Lets be honest the only reason Beatrice would get any work as a public speaker is because she is granddaughter of the Queen so IMO if she does go down this route all the money should go to charity. Or she gives up HRH

Lets be honest the only reason Beatrice would get any work as a public speaker is because she is granddaughter of the Queen so IMO if she does go down this route all the money should go to charity. Or she gives up HRH

Well, the article mentioned above states that that is exactly what Beatrice's intentions are - to speak about issues related to the charities she is involved/interested in and for the fees to go to those charities.

I don't think she should involve herself with APB though, blaming a company intern like that presumes that no one with authority there checks what is published.

Well, the article mentioned above states that that is exactly what Beatrice's intentions are - to speak about issues related to the charities she is involved/interested in and for the fees to go to those charities.

If this is indeed true, she would be using her "HRH Princess" tag in the best possible way and would deserve high praise.

I don't think she should involve herself with APB though, blaming a company intern like that presumes that no one with authority there checks what is published.

Very true. Either that or they are telling porkies.

I thought this comment had a point.
LadyBlueRibbon:
The story about Beatrice is true – not gossip. She is making contact with speaking agencies to feel out possible revenue resources. One strategy to see how that would be received – is to do exactly what they did — and listen to the response. Thus the putting up and taking down was intentional — to find how much interest did they get from people who wanted to hire her to come to their event. And also to find out how much push back they got from Buck Palace.

If she can get work like this and do well at it, more power to her. It seems likely, if not obvious, that she is not well-suited for a regular job, for whatever reasons.

She is in a no win situation in many respects.

She isn't going to be doing royal duties and so won't be getting that line of support.

She has to earn a living and the ways open aren't that great - her degree leads to a very limited job line (as someone with a History and Philosophy degree - much the same as 'History of Ideas' I do know how limited are the job options - for me though it wasn't an issue as I wanted to be a teacher). She has done a couple of short courses in finance but appears to struggle with the discipline of a full-time job in the traditional sense.

Her only other options for an income would be the talk circuit - about her charities and life experiences - such as coping with dyslexia (also a charity with which she is associated) but the real reason anyone would go to hear her speak is the HRH title.

If she goes down this route, in all likelihood she will embarass the royal family in some way - if not directly than linked actions by her mother and/or father.

The BRF have to be clearer about the children of younger sons and I do think that the Queen needs to issue new LPs to amend George V's LPs limiting HRH to the children of the monarch, the monarch's heir and that heir's heir only (thus Harry's children won't be HRH). Not do it the way it was done with Edward's children but permanently deny HRH to the children of the younger children and make it clear to those children that although related to the monarch they aren't part of the long term role of the monarchy.

I would go even further and stop the extended family from appearing on the balcony - so only The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, George, Charlotte, Andrew, Edward and Anne (not even the later's spouses for me) should ever appear on the balcony but in Charles' reign Andrew, Edward and Anne disappear and Harry's spouse is added but not his children - ever.

So Anne and Edward and Andrew, with spouses, should work hard for their patronages and representing the queen but be hidden away like a dirty secret? How does them appearing on the balcony affect anything? Do the tax payers pay for them to stand up there? Even in the Dutch royal house where the 'royal house' is limited, the extended family participates in family events. Look at King's day where we see the king's cousins and their wives involved.

I laugh when people think the royals should be slimmed down. Other than security costs it wont save tax payers any money. And people like Edward pay their own security. All it means is that the royals will get the same amount of money and have to split it fewer ways. Less charities will have patrons, less enggements will be done, and yet the royals will get the same money they always do. Because if you strip them of their titles and tell them to get lost, they will do just that.

How will Beatrice embarrass the royal family?? Giving speeches on dyslexia? Yes very shameful. The reality is as long as she is in the 'firm' and feels like she has a responsibility to represent her grandmother and later Uncle, there will be some restraint. She has proven even as a 'private citizen' she has taken on several patronages, takes part in royal events, has a job with a firm and is now speaking as well. And yet she is bringing shame to her family??? I guess we have different views of shame.

Last edited:

Actually the article quotes two anonymous sources about her intentions, one source states she will be paid and if she's speaking about a particular charity then more than likely the fee would go to that charity. The second source - described as close to Beatrice- states that she is approaching this as a professional business woman and is adamant that she not be billed as a member of the Royal family. Yet the web page clearly focused on the fact that she was a member of the Royal family. Plus in the tweet APB sent out they had a video where Beatrice speaks about her grandmother the Queen. I don't believe an intern made a mistake.
If APB issues an apology and states that an intern made a mistake, then I'll believe one was made. Until then I don't find the 'source close to Beatrice's version to be credible.
My guess is that Beatrice decided to earn some money by having expenses paid speaking gigs just like her mother has done for years. Also, just like her mother, she thought it was ok to gush about Grandma and her family during these engagements.
Since her private earnings aren't public there's no way to confirm how much if any of the money she earned would go to any charity. After the DM called BP about it my bet is Beatrice caught some heat and had to scramble to get the web page closed and the tweet deleted and to find a source to put out spin absolving her of responsibility for it.

Last edited:
Perhaps this was one of Sarah's bright ideas. And, whatever happens, Beatrice is going to, whether consciously or not, be trading on her position as an HRH and grandchild of the Queen.

It's just an impression I get, but I feel that Beatrice doesn't possess the breezy confidence of her sister and mother. She seems to drift a bit. I wonder what happened to the much vaunted finance job in New York? That seems to have been over as soon as it began, or did I miss something?

I think iluvbertie made an interesting point in posting #431: certain royals work and work hard for their royal duties and charitable efforts. Why should they be sidelined from standing on the balcony at royal events? Although the comparison was made using Edward, Andrew & Anne I began to think of the Duke & Duchess of Kent and D & D Gloucester. These are hard working royals.

But is the royal balcony a podium or platform to prove to the public whom the royals are and how hard they give back to the monarchy? I've never seen the balcony in that way. I've always seen the balcony as a place the royals step onto during weddings (which is a family affair thus ALL the family should be seen on it) or special events celebrating British history. In the case of special events (trouping the color) then it IS appropriate that the mainline royal line be seen on the balcony.

The speaking engagement site said she was working in business as well. She works for a firm that does the marketing/promotion work for major fashion brands among other companies. It wouldn't be a stretch to think some of the events she is shot at, are work related.

The reality is that Bea has a very expensive lifestyle. Daddy will only be around so long and Bea doesn't get any money from Grandmother. Her NY job likely doesn't even scratch the surface of her expenses. Throwing some speaking gigs on top of that would certainly help.

IF - a big IF - the speeches were for charitable purposes, communicated information effectively than I am all for Bea doing her bit for charity.

But Andrew & Fergie have made millions and a lifetime of trading on royal status to supplement their incomes. Both travel everywhere with all expenses paid, dine on luxurious cuisine and stay in AAA++++ hotels. All for a 30 minute to 1 hour speech "for charity".

At least in this case someone actually told the truth - how much Bea makes & keeps will be determined on a case by case basis.

Nope - she comes from a family of freeloaders, take-take-takers and traders on the royal name. I have a hard time believing that she will be different from Fergie & Andrew in how she conducts herself while doing "charitable" work... IMO

Andrew doesn't make money from the speaking circuit at all.

He travelled the world on the government's business not on his own.

Sarah is a different matter but only after she was divorced. She had to earn her living due to the size of her divorce settlement (two-thirds of which went into trust funds for the girls and one-sixth was set aside to buy her a suitable house which has never been bought unless she used that money to help buy the house in Switzerland). She was deeply in debt and had to work to pay that off - which she did by trading on her connections to the royal family but only after she had left it.

Yes, which is why I've always felt that Sarah and her lawyers should have been realistic and stood out for a decent divorce settlement. It sounds dreadful, but if Fergie hadn't been quite so sentimental she could have received a settlement near to Diana's.

I know it would have stretched the Queen's finances to the limit at that time, but I do wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, whether she does regret not giving a very large sum, in increments so it couldn't be frittered away.

That way Sarah would probably have lived in the US for much of the time, maybe married again, and we would all have been spared the countless embarrassing episodes and accompanying breast beating on TV.

Last edited:
Just saying, Seeing what we know about her- How she respects and loves her grandparents. I doubt she did any of this without HM approval. She doesn't strike me as the type to go rogue . Even if she wanted to pocket the money for herself I don't see the big deal. She's not the first royal to get paid to speak at events, She's not even a working royal to boot.

The speaking circuit if filled with people who make a living or earn extra income by speaking on various subjects, most are not famous or known. They are just ordinary people who think they have something meaningful to say. Motivational speakers are hired by all types of organizations and most are 'unknown' people who are the speakers.

It is a disservice to Beatrice to assume she has nothing to offer/say.
She may attract a bit more because she is the granddaughter of the Queen but that does not mean she is any less qualified than all the other motivational speakers.

Here are Beatrice's proposed topics, only one is a about her being a Princess.

Everyone needs help once in a while.

Finding purpose in your life.

When small goals become big accomplishments

Finding your true potential in the New Philanthropy

An Evening with Princess Beatrice

The first four can be geared towards anyone, especially youth and are topics most people can relate to and speak on.

True. I am sure that she is being encouraged to follow the Micheal of Kent's approach and use her royal status as means to make a living as Michael and Marie-Christine does. So long as it is legal where is the problem?

If Beatrice can make a living doing this, more power to her.

I find it hard to believe anyone would pay to hear her, but then, I find it hard to believe Fergie gets $50,000 to $100,000 per appearance!

(I should have more faith in P.T. Barnum.)

If Kim Kardashian can be paid thousands for appearing for 10 minutes at a party and not even speaking, I have no trouble believing Bea could. Imagine the publicity events would get by advertising her as attending. If nothing more, that will land her jobs.

Yesterday, May 17, Beatrice attended the Whitney Museum Annual Art Gala and Studio Party in New York City:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Can't stand it when people are doing this. How can a phone being more important than the own grandma having 90th birthday? Very bad manners. Can't such Messages wait at all?

There could be many valid reasons for her to look at her phone or simply looking at pictures she took. Besides this was a show piece for the nation not a private family event where it would really have been rude. The Queen did not even look all that into it the majority of the time.

There could be many valid reasons for her to look at her phone or simply looking at pictures she took. Besides this was a show piece for the nation not a private family event where it would really have been rude. The Queen did not even look all that into it the majority of the time.

I have to agree with you. HM didn't look all that engrossed in the pageantry except for perhaps the one moment when her face lights up and she exclaims "the cows!". :D Then again, the cameras were focused more on the performers than the spectators in the royal box.

I didn't see anything wrong with Beatrice looking at her phone. From what I could tell, it was just a split second. As we really have no clue what actually was going down at that moment, we're making mountains out of molehills.

I said to my mother... The lady is 90. Queen or not she probably is not up for all this bustle. She has got to tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom