Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Good thing Beatrice no longer needs royal approval to marry because Prince William does not approve of her long-term beau | Daily Mail Online

News that Princess Beatrice will no longer have to ask the Queen's permission to marry after falling down the line of succession has headed off an awkward Royal Family rift.
For I gather that had Prince William been consulted by Her Majesty about Beatrice's long-term beau Dave Clark, he would not have given him his seal of approval.
As my source explains: 'William isn't a huge fan of Dave. It's fair to say that if Beatrice had asked the Queen for permission to marry Dave, and she in turn asked William privately for his view, she may not have been given a glowing report.
'The move in succession is fortunate for Dave and Beatrice in that respect.'

Really confused by this, I thought the Daily Mail were the ones who told us that it was William who set Dave and Beatrice up? I know things can change over time but I can't really see this being true.

:previous: Oh, so many issues arising from that article! Yep, it was that paragon of journalistic integrity that reported William acted as matchmaker. Matchmaker Prince William sets up cousin Beatrice | Daily Mail Online

William might have been the one to introduce Dave to Beatrice at that party, but that was a long time ago and I doubt that at the time 24 year old William would have had it in mind that his 18 year old cousin would still be with Dave 10 years on and contemplating marriage to him.

Maybe Dave and William have had a spat in the intervening years. I don't think it would be difficult for someone to get onto modern-day William's "indiscreet" list, or to clash with his personality.

And, again, maybe the story's complete hogwash.

Last edited:
GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Good thing Beatrice no longer needs royal approval to marry because Prince William does not approve of her long-term beau | Daily Mail Online

News that Princess Beatrice will no longer have to ask the Queen's permission to marry after falling down the line of succession has headed off an awkward Royal Family rift.
For I gather that had Prince William been consulted by Her Majesty about Beatrice's long-term beau Dave Clark, he would not have given him his seal of approval.
As my source explains: 'William isn't a huge fan of Dave. It's fair to say that if Beatrice had asked the Queen for permission to marry Dave, and she in turn asked William privately for his view, she may not have been given a glowing report.
'The move in succession is fortunate for Dave and Beatrice in that respect.'

Really confused by this, I thought the Daily Mail were the ones who told us that it was William who set Dave and Beatrice up? I know things can change over time but I can't really see this being true.

William did not introduce them, that rumor was eventually shot down just like the rumor Harry introduced Zara to Mike. When the press found out Dave studied at Edinburgh the press wrongly assumed he had a William connection - especially since the men are the same age. In fact Beatrice and Dave met at Sean Brosnan's birthday party.

Actually, there have been many articles over the years saying William does not like Dave and this has put further strain on his relationship with his cousin Beatrice. The only evidence that supports this is that Dave wasn't invited to William's wedding reception.

I was asking if Beatrice had a job cause it was reported in several newspapers that she had taken a job in NY for a finance firm and that she was starting very soon. That was a few weeks ago so I thought it odd that she would be back in UK if she had only just started working in NY. A simple question really which got a fairly rude and sarcastic response.

As for the new article it's true there have been several articles saying William doesn't like Dave I even remember ones where William wasn't so keen on Beatrice either. If William really feels this way then I guess if the do marry we won't be seeing Dave much. If it's true they are both working in the US and will be setting up house together they may get engaged sooner.

There is a small rumor that bea is working with Cabot Square,again, but the article also says she's keen to move to the USA.

Beatrice recently completed a finance course at a university in San Francisco and has said she is keen to build on her time working with the London investment firm Cabot Square Capital, where she spent a year in 2012. here

Beatrice does not need William's seal of approval to marry Dave, any more than he needed hers to marry Kate.

Who is giving this info to the DM??

Beatrice does not need William's seal of approval to marry Dave, any more than he needed hers to marry Kate.

Who is giving this info to the DM??

The difference is that one day William will be king, and Beatrice will not become queen. Though I like to think that she makes her own decisions about queenly stuff, it is possible that HM would not want to do something with which Charles and William did not agree.

Unless the guy is a real rat and HM the Queen disapproves of him as well,Beatrice should marry him if she wants. He is wealthy enough to give her a great life independent of the BRF.

Sorry, but William and his petty likes and dislikes have no place here king-to-be or not and that goes for Charles too.

Beatrice is fortunate enough not to be financially dependent on either of them.

Does Dave even wish to marry Beatrice?
If so, he isn't in any hurry; ten years is a long time to be together without reaching some sort of understanding.

As for the money, the Queen holds the purse strings, and one day Charles will be in that position, followed by William. So perhaps William's dislike of Dave (if true) will have an impact on Beatrice.

I don't believe Beatrice has any kind of job, because if she did, we'd know about it- just as we did when Eugenie got her current job with the auction house.

Maybe they will announce engagement after Charlotte's christening?

Does Dave even wish to marry Beatrice?
If so, he isn't in any hurry; ten years is a long time to be together without reaching some sort of understanding.

Does Beatrice want to get married? Why assume it's the man who doesn't want to commit. She might be happy as a clam as things are and might not want to marry. We have no idea.

As for the money, the Queen holds the purse strings, and one day Charles will be in that position, followed by William. So perhaps William's dislike of Dave (if true) will have an impact on Beatrice…

Considering that Beatrice doesn't receive any money from public funds distributed by the Queen, the "monarch as holder of the purse" issue is moot.

Whether or not William dislikes Dave is likely irrelevant to whether the couple will marry or not - Beatrice no longer (within the current reign) needs to ask for permission to marry, and it would be highly unlikely (and some would say inappropriate) for the Queen, Charles or William to deny permission should Bea pop back up into the first six spots at the time she gets engaged.

The DM blurb seems like hogwash. Why would the Queen ask William for Dave info? Why not ask Andrew or Eugenie?

William's wedding was a protocol event. Mike Tindall wouldn't have been sitting with Zara if they weren't engaged. It wasn't a plus one kind of event.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Considering that Beatrice doesn't receive any money from public funds distributed by the Queen, the "monarch as holder of the purse" issue is moot.

I wonder about that.
I've always heard that the Queen subsidizes Andrew, and Andrew subsidizes his daughters.

So indirectly, Beatrice does receive money from the Queen.
I know she has a trust fund, but I don't think it's large enough to fund her lifestyle.

Does Beatrice want to get married? Why assume it's the man who doesn't want to commit. She might be happy as a clam as things are and might not want to marry. We have no idea.

I completely agree.;)

[Whether or not William dislikes Dave is likely irrelevant to whether the couple will marry or not - Beatrice no longer (within the current reign) needs to ask for permission to marry, and it would be highly unlikely (and some would say inappropriate) for the Queen, Charles or William to deny permission should Bea pop back up into the first six spots at the time she gets engaged]

JessRulz,

This is EXACTLY my point, thanks!

Last edited:
I wonder about that.
I've always heard that the Queen subsidizes Andrew, and Andrew subsidizes his daughters.

I know she has a trust fund, but I don't think it's large enough to fund her lifestyle.

There is a difference though between public and private money.

The public money - the Sovereign Grant - is for official duties only and so Andrew would be paid from this to cover his expenses for times when he represents The Queen. Beatrice would be getting virtually nothing from this source as she doesn't carry out duties on behalf of The Queen.

The private money - the Duchy of Lancaster - can be used as The Queen chooses. If she is subsidising her children and possibly adult grandchildren from this money she can do so but this is also where asking Charles and William's view can come in ... if Beatrice is getting money from the Queen, directly or indirectly, from this source when The Queen dies the decision to continue with that funding would come from Charles and then William. If they weren't prepared to continue due to her choice of husband then it would be good for her to know that now.

The phrase "people in glass houses" comes to mind.

I'm quite sure there were people in the Royal Family's circle who did not approve of either William's or Charles' choice of bride. Both may want to think on that when/IF they are criticising any other person's choice of partner. The Mail article says William doesn't like Dave because he is indiscreet. I don't really follow Beatrice's social life but he seems an awful lot more discrete than a former member of the family whom William has placed on a pedestal ever was.

Besides IF Beatrice marries Dave, isn't he from a wealthy background? Support from the Duchy of Lancaster may be a moot point anyway.

I wonder about that.

You keep referencing that you don't think that her trust fund is large enough to fund her lifesytle. Can you elaborate.

Yes, its been well documented that Beatrice has been traveling but I don't believe she is traveling first class to any of these places nor is she paying for hotels. She usually travels with a group of friends and tends to stay at someone else residence. Much like her great great great grandfather, Edward VII.

I don't want to go off topic with discussion about her trust funds, but I think the interest on her trust fund is probably sufficient.

A few posts have been deleted as they were in response to a post removed for off-topic content.

There is a difference though between public and private money.

The public money - the Sovereign Grant - is for official duties only and so Andrew would be paid from this to cover his expenses for times when he represents The Queen. Beatrice would be getting virtually nothing from this source as she doesn't carry out duties on behalf of The Queen.

This is what I meant by Beatrice not receiving money from the Queen, and therefore whoever distributes that money (Elizabeth, Charles or William) is irrelevant.

The private money - the Duchy of Lancaster - can be used as The Queen chooses. If she is subsidising her children and possibly adult grandchildren from this money she can do so but this is also where asking Charles and William's view can come in ... if Beatrice is getting money from the Queen, directly or indirectly, from this source when The Queen dies the decision to continue with that funding would come from Charles and then William. If they weren't prepared to continue due to her choice of husband then it would be good for her to know that now.

IMO, I would like to think that even if Beatrice and Eugenie (or the Phillipses) are receiving money from the Queen through her private Duchy of Lancaster funds, they would be smart enough to assume that it the situation would be different under their uncle/cousin.

Does anyone have any links to articles/etc that state the Queen has given money in the past to her adult grandchildren? (Apart from trust funds).

Beatrice and her sister, along w/the children of Edward and Anne inherited well-funded Trusts from the Queen Mother on her death. I don't think that any of them have to worry about paying their next health insurance premium.

Let's try to be mature and move on from the Beatrice and Eugenie beat-down. They are royals. They are grandchildren to a sovereign. Get over it!

I echo that sentiment.

I would think Beatrice [and everyone else] knows that any financial support that they receive from the Queen is going to end during the reign of Charles and William. Other than financial bequests that the Queen would make in her will.

B and E may not be Royal rich so to speak when that time comes but certainly have enough to live in the manner they have been accustomed to since birth as neither of them are particularly decadent or extravagant for their set and seemingly have more common sense than Their mother; they will almost certainly marry wealthy men if worse came to worse and even if they don't William at least is not going to let them suffer any real hardship or really have to work a nine to five job to pay bills.

In all the time I've been here at TRF, I don't think I've ever heard the York girls being called frivolous or being named as high spenders and as private citizens, we most likely will never really know the status of their finances.

Its very possible that they don't even need any kind of subsidizing from Granny at all. I'm more inclined to think that Beatrice is smart enough and has enough financial savvy to use what is available to her through investing, seeking the advice of those around her that have been successful in having money make money such as Richard Branson and as has been stated here a few times, enjoys the perks of having a lot of friends.

You keep referencing that you don't think that her trust fund is large enough to fund her lifesytle. Can you elaborate.

Yes, its been well documented that Beatrice has been traveling but I don't believe she is traveling first class to any of these places nor is she paying for hotels. She usually travels with a group of friends and tends to stay at someone else residence. Much like her great great great grandfather, Edward VII.

I don't want to go off topic with discussion about her trust funds, but I think the interest on her trust fund is probably sufficient.

It isn't just the trips, though even if they are partially paid for by friends, that much travel has to be costly.

But there are the events Beatrice attends, the restaurants she frequents, the clothes she wears. All very expensive.
Unless she has a huge trust fund, I don't see how it could cover everything. (I don't believe it even pays her rent, since I've read that Andrew does that).

Whose to say she is paying for her air travel:whistling::whistling:

Just for kicks, I went to the Virgin Atlantic website, and I was going to price out an airline ticket to get a general idea on how much it would cost Bea to travel..and than I remembered that she hangs out with the Branson kids. And her boyfriend works there....when I interviewed for a sales job with United...one of the perks was that you had a limited number of trips that friends and family can take advantage of.....and they could fly for free.

So she might not be paying for her air fare, if she is smart she is either staying with friends [and I think the parents of her crowd are somewhat wealthy so I am thinking they have mulitiple homes] or spilting the hotel stay. Her grandmother paid for her clothes to Zara's wedding after the butterfly disaster, so it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't pay for her attire at events that she [the Queen] is attending. It also wouldn't surprise me if she is using her resources...as Osipi mentioned.

If she is smart and has access to said trust fund...I would be spending a lot of time with those who are investment bankers are learning as much as possible so I could apply the same methods that they use to grow their funds. to my money.

And not to be rude or judgemental...but what is expensive to some is not a drop in the bucket to others. I

Last edited:
I didn't know the Queen paid for her dress to Zara's wedding. How did you find out that? Did she pick it too ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: Hmm, me too. Beatrice's 2008 butterfly ensemble was gorgeous and it was a private family wedding. I would have thought HM was more "moved" by what she wore to William's wedding. That really was . . . erm, noteworthy!

Beatrice, with her sister Eugenie, will participate in the five day race across India for Elephant Family. (According to the DM BP Garden story.) Each team must pledge to raise £10,000 for Elephant Family charity. Beatrice may be working to raise money for the charity. Beatrice and Eugenie have previously worked for Mark Shand's charity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom