Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Beatrice isn't doing anything wrong, but neither is she doing anything that enhances her standing as a member of the Royal Family. She has been pictured on a lot of holidays this winter, which of course she is entitled to take, but it doesn't play out well and suggests a lifestyle that is privileged without carrying any meaningful occupation or responsibilities. - sorry if this sounds harsh, but I can't see this in any favourable light.

I don't see why the Neatrice bashing increases every year.

Yes, she takes more holidays than the average person, but are we paying for it?

It's her parents/grandparents who are sponsoring it.

If she gets leave from work or quits her job to holiday, good for her!

She is a princess, does that mean she's supposed to be a role model?
It's not her who chose the princess title for herself!

Besides when she does carry out the occasional royal duty, nobody seems to have a problem that she has missed work or is unemployed.

She doesn't get paid for by the public, and thus can do as she pleases.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't see why the Neatrice bashing increases every year.

Yes, she takes more holidays than the average person, but are we paying for it?

It's her parents/grandparents who are sponsoring it.

If she gets leave from work or quits her job to holiday, good for her!

Besides when she does carry out the occasional royal duty, nobody seems to have a problem that she has missed work or is unemployed.

She doesn't get paid for by the public, and thus can do as she pleases.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I guess some of this emanates from a desire to see Beatrice make something of her life, rather than just hand around resort to resort, and from party to party. You are right, it is nobody's business, but it would be good if she did something useful.

I guess some of this emanates from a desire to see Beatrice make something of her life, rather than just hand around resort to resort, and from party to party. You are right, it is nobody's business, but it would be good if she did something useful.

I think you could be onto something here. I have always liked Beatrice, and I suppose I have wanted to see her make something of her life, as you put it, but it's really none of my business. If she can afford to spend a large chunk of her life holidaying, good luck to her. She's still a likeable young woman; I was just hoping for something more from her.

Actually, yes, it does mean she's supposed to be a role model. She might not have chosen the princess title, but a princess she is. She is "Her Royal Highness" and that carries with it some burdens. With wealth, power, and prestige come social responsibility: "noblesse oblige".

Last edited:
The problem that needs to be clarified is the role of a princess in the current day. Beatrice maybe related to the monarch but unless she is representing the nation of behalf of HM then I see little point in her continuing to have the title of princess if not using it. I can't see the logic of being royal yet trying to live a normal life.

The problem that needs to be clarified is the role of a princess in the current day. Beatrice maybe related to the monarch but unless she is representing the nation of behalf of HM then I see little point in her continuing to have the title of princess if not using it. I can't see the logic of being royal yet trying to live a normal life.

This is a problem not of Beatrice's or Eugenie's making, and I don't think we can blame her parents, either. I think The Queen is making a mistake by not giving Beatrice more official duties to perform if she wants to do them, and I believe she does. Surely there's something that can be delegated to her to follow through with over the years. She is a Royal Princess but if she's not going to perform duties on behalf of her grandmother and, later, her uncle, I don't think she should have the HRH but she has done nothing wrong and it wouldn't be fair to strip that style from her. She's trapped between two different worlds, belonging fully in neither.

Last edited:
I agree with much that has been said here. First and foremost, through no fault of her own, Beatrice has been brought up with a royal title, yet plays no constitutional royal within the royal family, nor does she play a central role within in it.
The general consensus is that in the future, the core members of the royal family (by which I mean those that will have high profile public and charitable roles) do not include Beatrice or Eugenie. The Wessex's (and the Princess Royal) have managed this scenario in the way their children have been titled (or not titled) and their lives have and will be on a similar footing as the Princess Margaret's children.
But whatever the expectation of the Royal Family was all those years ago when Beatrice was born has, I think, changed and it seems Beatrice and her sister are now in a bit of limbo.

I have no objection to their titles, nor their lifestyles, and it would seem unfair for Beatrice to ask for her HRH to be dropped and I would necessarily expect her to voluntarily give it up. This leads me to wonder, though what she might do if and when she gets married. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that at that point she intends to drop her title altogether.

Sorry if I've covered old ground or repeated what other have said!

I don't think either Beatrice and Eugenie will formally drop the HRH title when they get married, but I don't think they will use it much. The Queen has not asked them to perform official duties so it is very unlikely that Charles will do so. Their children will not be HRH, so there is really no need to hang onto the title.

At the same time, there is really no need to give it up. The title opens some doors and charities want royal patrons.

I agree with much that has been said here. First and foremost, through no fault of her own, Beatrice has been brought up with a royal title, yet plays no constitutional royal within the royal family, nor does she play a central role within in it.
The general consensus is that in the future, the core members of the royal family (by which I mean those that will have high profile public and charitable roles) do not include Beatrice or Eugenie. The Wessex's (and the Princess Royal) have managed this scenario in the way their children have been titled (or not titled) and their lives have and will be on a similar footing as the Princess Margaret's children.
But whatever the expectation of the Royal Family was all those years ago when Beatrice was born has, I think, changed and it seems Beatrice and her sister are now in a bit of limbo.

I have no objection to their titles, nor their lifestyles, and it would seem unfair for Beatrice to ask for her HRH to be dropped and I would necessarily expect her to voluntarily give it up. This leads me to wonder, though what she might do if and when she gets married. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that at that point she intends to drop her title altogether.

Sorry if I've covered old ground or repeated what other have said!

Just to say that she could hold a constitutional role. The Monarch has 5 Counsellors of State, 2 of whom stand in for the Monarch in their absence (abroad, long period of time or illness).

They are currently Prince Philip, Charles, William, Harry and Andrew. If Philip dies before the Queen, then the next person to be appointed will be Beatrice.

This role is for persons aged 18 or over.

Small correction - CoSs are over 21 except for the heir apparent who starts to serve at 18. Beatrice is now eligible and unless George turns 21 in the current reign she will serve at some point in time.

Philip only serves as the consort of the monarch - so the next person to logically replace him would be Camilla - the next to be consort of the monarch.

Roslyn mentioned that the Queen is not giving Beatrice more official duties to perform.
Does anyone have suggestions for various official duties the Princess could do?

She is a Royal Princess but if she's not going to perform duties on behalf of her grandmother and, later, her uncle, I don't think she should have the HRH but she has done nothing wrong and it wouldn't be fair to strip that style from her. She's trapped between two different worlds, belonging fully in neither.

I agree with Roslyn but if you (the general 'you', not you Roslyn) expect HRHs to be working members of the Royal Family, then it becomes a job description, rather than signifying you are a child or grandchild of the Monarch, which is what it is today. (In which case I can't see why Sophie can't be 'Princess Sophie' since it would be a working title, and not a 'of the Blood' title).

In Europe, there are thousands and thousands of Prince and Princesses with normal jobs; why can't it be the same in Britain? (I don't mean having thousands of Prince/sses in Britain, I mean why can't some be working (career, like pRince and Princess Michael of Kent) and those that are needed working for the Royal Family.

Roslyn mentioned that the Queen is not giving Beatrice more official duties to perform.
Does anyone have suggestions for various official duties the Princess could do?

Beatrice already does a number of charity events but she doesn't get mentioned in the CC. If Kate or Camilla or Sophie or Anne did the same event then it is mentioned in the CC.

e.g. 2012 Kate presented a medal at the Paralympics - mentioned in CC so an official engagement for Kate but...the next day Eugenie did the same thing but no mention for Eugenie so not an official engagement for her.

Beatrice could start taking over some of the causes of Princess Alexandra - who will be 80 next year and the Duke of Kent - 80 later this year.

I think if the rumours are true and Charles is going to slim things down the Queen has probably already discussed this with Charles. If Beatrice was to take a role given by the Queen the chances are it would be stopped under Charles anyway. What she is doing now is probably what will always be done. She will have some charity work but not be part of the core of the working family. If she really wants a career then she needs to find something and stick to it for more then 12 months and if she wants to be taken seriously as a career woman then she needs an actual career for that and not be seen on holidays every few weeks. I won't be surprised if she is just biding her time till she marries and then settles down and does just the charity work. It's funny how things changed by the time Edward had his children it might have been better off to do the same with Andrews first. It's one of the reasons why Beatrice get's so much attention.

I think you could be onto something here. I have always liked Beatrice, and I suppose I have wanted to see her make something of her life, as you put it, but it's really none of my business. If she can afford to spend a large chunk of her life holidaying, good luck to her. She's still a likeable young woman; I was just hoping for something more from her.
More? I think holding down a job is a bit problematic for both Beatrice and her sister. No business is happy with people prying into their private dealings with either staff or customers and, as we all know, that comes with employing Beatrice. Maybe in ten years it won't be an issue but realistically, it is at present.
Actually, yes, it does mean she's supposed to be a role model. She might not have chosen the princess title, but a princess she is. She is "Her Royal Highness" and that carries with it some burdens. With wealth, power, and prestige come social responsibility: "noblesse oblige".
Beatrice, like hundreds of thousands of other members of her generation, has striven to attain a good education. Unlike the majority of them, she did it while dealing with dislexia. Her higher education took her longer than her peers, but not only did she stick with it, she went public about it and has used her own learning experience to help others with dislexia. And, as we are all aware, this is not her sole charity outreach.

Like hundreds of other wealthy young people she has no actual "need" or requirement to work, and yet she slogs away trying to find her niche. Her last internship was "busted" by forces beyond her, or her employer's control. By any definition, HRH Princess Beatrice has always behaved with honour and is fully cognizant that privilege entails to responsibility. By her actions she is a role model for thousands of young people.

Tell me, where has Beatrice behaved without honour or responibility and how is her work with learning difficulties and other patronages not the work of a role model?

Tell me, where has Beatrice behaved without honour or responibility and how is her work with learning difficulties and other patronages not the work of a role model?

At no time have I said or suggested that Beatrice has behaved without honour or responsibility. Someone else queried whether being a princess meant she was supposed to be a role model and I replied that I think it does.

I think Beatrice needs to find a job and stick to it, just like most young people of her generation.

Nowadays that is not so easy. Neither getting one nor keeping it.

:previous:

Particularly in the field you really want, depending on what it is.

Of course, Princess Patricia of Connaught, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, voluntarily gave up her HRH and style of 'Princess' when she married in 1919. She took the rank of a Duke's daughter, Lady Patricia Ramsay. It might be something for Beatrice and Eugenie to consider.

Of course, Princess Patricia of Connaught, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, voluntarily gave up her HRH and style of 'Princess' when she married in 1919. She took the rank of a Duke's daughter, Lady Patricia Ramsay. It might be something for Beatrice and Eugenie to consider.

I think that is completely unnecessary. The title does not impact their lives on a day to day basis. They were born with it, and have not done anything to loose it.

I think that is completely unnecessary. The title does not impact their lives on a day to day basis. They were born with it, and have not done anything to loose it.

Beatrice and Eugenie are the daughter's of the Queen's son, therefor, her blood grandchildren. They aren't wannabes or imposters who somehow winnowed their way through a palace window!!

Stop the hate on these two!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
Princess Beatrice spent this week skiing in Aspen. A rep says she starts a finance course in the US tomorrow
The Sun

Finance again? Wasn't the first job she quit in finance? I wonder if she is going to try and work over in the US like Eugenie does?

:previous: Maybe she enjoyed working in finance but her university subjects didn't include anything useful for a career in that field so now she's going to get some relevant qualifications.

Don't they have vocational guidance counsellors at the schools she attended?

^ Where will Beatrice do her finance studies? Is this an MBA in Finance or just finance courses? Good for her, hopefully she enjoys it and finds something she enjoys in her field of study.

I couldn't read the article, for some reason it was blocked.

The site is blocked unless you have actually paid for it. On another site they have pointed out that the photo they are using is one cropped from one of her holidays in Switzerland this year.

:previous: Maybe she enjoyed working in finance but her university subjects didn't include anything useful for a career in that field so now she's going to get some relevant qualifications.

Don't they have vocational guidance counsellors at the schools she attended?

They had guidance counsellors at my university, but no one told me there weren't many jobs for an English major (which was what I was taking). Then I had trouble finding a job. I wouldn't blame Princess Beatrice for struggling to find her place in the working world, because there are so many grads with humanities degrees and History degrees nowadays that it's easy to be outnumbered in the working world. Beatrice is like a lot of other young people, including me, in working a lot of internships and temporary jobs or going back to school for more qualifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom