Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:bang: IMO, all of Beatrice's and Eugenie's charity works should be listed in the CC. If you are a HRH all your charity work etc should be in the CC and when you turn 21 you should be compensated for it.

It makes no sense for Beatrice and Eugenie to do the work without the credit and compensation.

That HRH is a big part of the problem. If they have the tag, they ought to receive credit for the charity work they do and be compensated for it. Noblesse oblige, if you will; they have the Royal style and are expected to do something in return for the status, and when they do they should receive formal credit for it. But their charitable efforts aren't recognised in the CC because they're not full time Royals. That's not fair.

Harry and William are praised nonstop for having a job and doing charity work but Beatrice is accused of dabbling and not focused. Beatrice and Eugenie have been attacked by the media since they were in school. It is the same accusations.

If Beatrice's male cousins switch jobs, it is okay but if Beatrice and her sister switch jobs, then they are attacked as lazy and not focused etc.

The same rules should apply to all.
Agreed.

William can take "gap years" while he thinks about what he's going to do in future, and when he changes horses mid-stream it's OK because he's the heir. *eyeroll*

Definitely double standards, but the whole system of royalty and aristocracy is rife with those double standards, particularly with respect to gender.

The media will always have a go at her for so many reasons. It is a prime example of the sins of the father being visited upon the son. And she's a female, that never helps.

If Prince Andrew is no longer a news maker and Princess Beatrice and David are actually engaged, what a wonderful time to announce Beatrice's engagement.
Then the reporters would have something positive to report on!

I am personally moving to the idea that only the eldest child on the monarch should have HRH in each generation and only once they are the heir. I that system Charles would be the only Prince while the others would by Lords and Ladies with the clear understanding that they would be expected to work in the real work - even William and Kate - until William becomes the heir. William would have the title of Lord William of Wales - no other title until he becomes the heir apparent and so George would also be Lord George of Wales.

That would be a little bit drastic IMHO. I am personally in favor of the post-2002 Dutch system: all legitimate children of the monarch who are not excluded from the line of succession and the heir apparent's legitimate children are HRHs; the remaining grandchildren of the monarch are not princes, but may hold a hereditary title of nobility like count/countess.

their charitable efforts aren't recognised in the CC because they're not full time Royals. That's not fair.

I totally agree. Princess Alexandra can hardly be called a full-time Royal either these days (she has had health problems of late, she is advancing in years, this is not a criticism of Princess Alexandra), but if she receives some chairman of some charity she is a patron of, it is mentioned in the Court Circular.

If Princess Beatrice visits a children's home or a hospital, or attends a fund-raising reception for a charity, there is no mention in the Court Circular at all. The press are not interested in her charity work, just in her holidays in the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. If Princess Beatrice, 7th in line to the throne, does charitable engagements they should be recognised by the Court. If I was organising a charity event and Princess Beatrice came along I would not feel short-changed.

Part of it is she is not pretty. Sounds trite and it is, but she is fodder for the press. Her parents are less than noble to the people and the press, although, they love and care for their children better than say, George V and Queen Mary. She should not have to face the spotlight as often as she does. None of them do anything that is so world shattering. They visit a hospital here and there and taste food from a village factory here an there. They don't work, either, but their activities have become the essence of work for them. She is a HRH, therefore she should be cutting more ribbons.

My understanding of the Court Circular is that only those engagements carried out by the Queen or on behalf of the Queen are listed. So if Princess Beatrice carries out an engagement on behalf of the Queen or in other words at the request of the Queen (as opposed to one her own charities) then she will be included in the Court Circular.

Not quite. The CC contains all the engagements that The Queen regards as official so when Kate visits one of her charities that gets an entry in the CC but when Beatrice does the same thing it isn't listed.

The very best example of this was in 2012. Kate presented medals at the Paralympics - entry for Kate in the CC. The next day Eugenie did exactly the same thing - presented medals at the Paralympics but no entry for Eugenie.

Kate goes to the Scouts or the Art Room - entry in CC. Beatrice goes to the York Theatre or a hospital no entry. Andrew descends the Shard for charity - entry in the CC, Beatrice runs the London Marathon for charity - no entry.

Even when the York girls went to Berlin on behalf of the British government it wasn't recognised by the Queen in the CC.

She is a HRH, therefore she should be cutting more ribbons.

IMO, if Beatrice is not getting paid for the engagements (or "cutting ribbons") she does or getting the credit in the CC, why should she do more? The HRH is not working for her in the usual manner it does for the other royals, so what does it matter that she is a HRH or not in regards to her work.

The very best example of this was in 2012. Kate presented medals at the Paralympics - entry for Kate in the CC. The next day Eugenie did exactly the same thing - presented medals at the Paralympics but no entry for Eugenie.

This I find to be a ridiculous double standard by the Queen, to be honest. The exact same thing - "official" for one, but not the other. Please.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are mentioned in the CC when they attend an event with The Queen. Her Majesty attends many private palace engagements. There are times where Beatrice or perhaps Eugenie accompany her.

Thing is, that if Beatrice wants the title and kudos, she needs to do appearances. Fair or not, the deck is stacked against her and she needs to stop the constant holidays. As far as I can see, her main problem is her expectations. Things change all the time and we have to learn to adapt. When she found out she would be largely on her own by the time Charles is king, she should have studied a real degree, not a "History of Ideas" degree. Now, she has horrible parents, she is judged by the press, but she needs to stop making things harder by the fact that she's just holidaying nonstop. The SUN isn't saying anything that's untrue. She has been let go from Sony and she is holidaying literally for an entire month, one month after another.

She's hardly a victim of anything other than bad press, brought on by her bad judgement.

She doesn't have horrible parents. She has parents who love her and treat her well. Better than many other royal parents of the past, especially. They have problems, does not make them horrible parents.

I've never thought Beatrice had the slightest interest in a career.
I think what she wants is:
A. To be a bona-fide member of the Firm
B. To be married

I don't believe a job will hold her interest for long, no matter what it is.
(Perhaps Charles will break down and let her represent the BRF (though he is said to equate her with Fergie, which doesn't help).

When Beatrice was born there was no really strong anti-monarchy feeling like there is now.

There were actually more people in the UK who wanted a republic in the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990s than it is now, but as you say it was another time. There was no internet at the time Beatrix was born and the press was generally less critical. The same can be said of the Spanish, the Dutch, the Belgian, the Swedish, the Danish and the Norwegian monarchy, where the press is much more critical than it was 20 years ago.

I am personally moving to the idea that only the eldest child on the monarch should have HRH in each generation and only once they are the heir. I that system Charles would be the only Prince while the others would by Lords and Ladies with the clear understanding that they would be expected to work in the real work - even William and Kate - until William becomes the heir. William would have the title of Lord William of Wales - no other title until he becomes the heir apparent and so George would also be Lord George of Wales.

I am in favor of that all legitimate children of the monarch who are not excluded from the line of succession, all the heir apparent's legitimate children and all the children of the heir apparent's oldest child are HRH Prince/Princess, the remaining grandchildren/great grandchildren of the monarch are not HRH Princes/Princesses. I understand that this may sound a bit drastic, but I believe that William and all future heirs to the throne should not get more then two children.

(though he is said to equate her with Fergie, which doesn't help).

I Don't believe in this. Where have you heard/read this from?

Last edited:
When she found out she would be largely on her own by the time Charles is king, she should have studied a real degree, not a "History of Ideas" degree.

She has a double degree - History and History of Ideas.

As someone with a double major in History and a minor in Philosophy (or History of Ideas if you like) I find that comment insulting.

History and History of Ideas are real degrees - and ones that take a lot of work to achieve.

They can lead to satisfying careers - but Beatrice hasn't followed that line in her work choices so far with first finance and then Sony.

IMO, if Beatrice is not getting paid for the engagements (or "cutting ribbons") she does or getting the credit in the CC, why should she do more? The HRH is not working for her in the usual manner it does for the other royals, so what does it matter that she is a HRH or not in regards to her work.

This I find to be a ridiculous double standard by the Queen, to be honest. The exact same thing - "official" for one, but not the other. Please.

I agree - I always thought that some of the distinctions are made so that some royals don't upstage others.

I'm glad she's come back swinging - if she does not live off the public dime in any way, it's nobody's business. I've always liked her, I think she's a good egg.

I really started to admire her after Will and Kate's wedding. She was only 22 years old and ridiculed the world over for that hat (which let's face it, was ridiculous). I'd have taken to my bed for about 6 years after that. She still held her head high after that and auctioned the hat off for charity.

She doesn't have horrible parents. She has parents who love her and treat her well. Better than many other royal parents of the past, especially. They have problems, does not make them horrible parents.

This is true - I think that the York girls turned out pretty well despite some of what we hear and think of Andrew and Fergie. Her parents got her help for her dyslexia while some parents refuse to acknowledge their child has any disability, and the York girls have the highest university marks of all the royals (I think).

I feel sorry for Beatrice, however - it must be a nightmare to have your parent accused of what Andrew has been accused of.

Yes, I agree. Studying philosophy is a good idea for anyone who wants to know how to think critically and look at the world from someone else's point of view.

As someone with a double major in History and a minor in Philosophy (or History of Ideas if you like) I find that comment insulting.

History and History of Ideas are real degrees - and ones that take a lot of work to achieve.

All this criticism about Princess Beatrice being unemployed and quitting her job is honestly quite stupid. In today's workplace for folks of the millennial generation, especially someone in business, it's much less about having a job and more about having a career. Most folks in their twenties don't even want to work at the same place for more than 2 years, but that doesn't mean they don't want or have successful careers. It doesn't mean they aren't hard workers either. I'm technically "unemployed" now, but do some consulting work, and am also writing a post-mortem review of a campaign for a firm. I'd say I work damn hard but I'm not technically employed. This also allows me to travel often for fun and work on the road from wherever.

Princess Beatrice may not work at Sony anymore or be "employed" by any company, but that doesn't mean that she isn't working full-time in business.

This is simply criticism from those who dont understand the difference between a job and a career.

I understand a career and a job I also understand what a holiday is.
At the moment she is on a holiday.
Good for her but let's not dress it up as anything else.
She's entitled to take as many holidays as she likes but it will be in the papers and it will get talked about.
She probably cares less about it in the news than any of us here

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thing is, that if Beatrice wants the title and kudos, she needs to do appearances. Fair or not, the deck is stacked against her and she needs to stop the constant holidays. As far as I can see, her main problem is her expectations. Things change all the time and we have to learn to adapt. When she found out she would be largely on her own by the time Charles is king, she should have studied a real degree, not a "History of Ideas" degree. Now, she has horrible parents, she is judged by the press, but she needs to stop making things harder by the fact that she's just holidaying nonstop. The SUN isn't saying anything that's untrue. She has been let go from Sony and she is holidaying literally for an entire month, one month after another.

She's hardly a victim of anything other than bad press, brought on by her bad judgement.
okay this is the wierdest post I think Ive read in a long time......I was laughing by the end of it.
You dont honestly think we are going to take you seriously do you? Firstly there is so much presumption and inuendo based on no real fact.
Just because you think her parents are awful doesnt mean she does she clearly loves them.
So what if she has left that job the young people I know and in my work Im exposed to about 100 yearly it is not uncommon for them to job hop thats what they do.
Now to the holidays obviously she is priveledged to be able to have accommodation in some pretty nice holiday spots lets face it noone is going to refuse the opportunity to have a holiday I know I wouldnt.
So in light of it all I think Bea and her sister will be just fine when Charles becomes King and youre a fool if you think they havent already made plans when that time eventuates.
As for bad judgement I think its you that has misjudged Beas situation.

Last edited:
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014

okay this is the wierdest post I think Ive read in a long time......I was laughing by the end of it.
You dont honestly think we are going to take you seriously do you? Firstly there is so much presumption and inuendo based on no real fact.
Just because you think her parents are awful doesnt mean she does she clearly loves them.
So what if she has left that job the young people I know and in my work Im exposed to about 100 yearly it is not uncommon for them to job hop thats what they do.
Now to the holidays obviously she is priveledged to be able to have accommodation in some pretty nice holiday spots lets face it noone is going to refuse the opportunity to have a holiday I know I would.
So in light of it all I think Bea and her sister will be just fine when Charles becomes King and youre a fool if you think they havent already made plans when that time eventuates.
As for bad judgement I think its you that has misjudged Beas situation.

Is this meant for me because I don't understand it ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Sorry my feed played up I didn't see who you replied too

Last edited:
I've never thought Beatrice had the slightest interest in a career.
I think what she wants is:
A. To be a bona-fide member of the Firm
B. To be married

I don't believe a job will hold her interest for long, no matter what it is.
(Perhaps Charles will break down and let her represent the BRF (though he is said to equate her with Fergie, which doesn't help).

You know what I dont think Charles would ever publicly say that about his niece. He just wouldnt. Despite the fact of whether the firm can give her a paid public role or not I would think that Charles would appreciate her charity work. I dont think Charles is that much of an A void that he would publicly say anything detrimental about Bea in public.

Finally it's out and I can stop biting my tongue. My Nephew in Law is an Exec at Sony Canada and when the entire mess happened, I asked if this affected Josh in any way. My Sister's reply was along the lines of not Josh, as he's no one famous or that important in the grand scheme of the Company for the hackers to go after at Sony, but guess who it did affect big time!! The look on her face when I instantly named Beatrice was priceless. :D

I had wondered if they had gone after Beatrice, I mean you hack Sony to go after the big wigs and Stars and end up also reeling in a Princess w/your attack, and not use it? It doesn't matter she's a "minor Royal". To these guys, a Princess is a Princess and they must have thought they'd hit the jackpot when they saw her file. Also this was personal information of Beatrice's that never should have been able to be accessed. Regardless of who and what she is, this is a violation of the most hurtful and deepest kind and something no one deserves to have happen to them.

I have had such a tough time reading some of the posts in here over the last few weeks, knowing what was really going on and not being able to say a thing. Because I knew what would happen if I did. At least now it's finally been made public and I can give my poor tongue a break from all the biting I've done to it.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm pleased this has come out. I've always liked Beatrice and I'm glad to see that there is a good reason for her extended holiday and that she has a number of offers. I hope she accepts one and works hard and still does the "Royal" stuff graciously but without formal acknowledgement. I think she will. Like Gracie, I think Beatrice is a "good egg".

Last edited:
My understanding of the Court Circular is that only those engagements carried out by the Queen or on behalf of the Queen are listed. So if Princess Beatrice carries out an engagement on behalf of the Queen or in other words at the request of the Queen (as opposed to one her own charities) then she will be included in the Court Circular.

So when the Duke of Kent attends freemasons events he is doing it "on behalf of the Queen" ... I somehow doubt that.

I don't understand the argument here, the Queen and the Royal Household clearly don't consider Beatrice and Eugenie as 'working members' of the RF or whatever the media and watchers are calling it this week. If they choose to carry out charity work outside of official duties than that is up to them just as you or I could go and visit a local hospice etc. So far the impression I get is that William and Harry are the only grandchildren who will do official work onbehalf of the RF and so the only ones who'll be listed as doing their own work in the Court Circular. Whether that's fair or not isn't up to us, that's what's been decided. The other grandchildren all need to get on with their own lives and if they need more money than their family wealth can give they have to work.

Well if the current CC policy prevails, and Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie continue to be excluded, the CC will get very short as gradually the older members of the RF die off. Whether HM will take the slightest notice of me or not (I suspect not) I do think that the younger members of the RF, Beatrice & Eugenie especially, should be included in the CC.

the Queen and the Royal Household clearly don't consider Beatrice and Eugenie as 'working members' of the RF.
Let's hope when Charles is King some of the stuffiness of the Royal Household will cease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom