Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014

What job would you like to see her do/get?

I have a degree, and I'm currently doing a job not related to my degree in anyway because I need the money to get the qualifications to do a job related to my degree. You'll find that most people do not get a job relating to their degree straight out of uni, it's quite hard.

I started my job in May 2014 and I got 25 days holiday between May and December 2014. If this is the case with Beatrice and she's working a 5 day out of 7 contract as most do, that's 5 weeks holiday she could have used in a row. However if you're wise you split it to encompass days off so you have longer. That's an average and covers half a year. Maybe someone from America could explain the holiday policy as I might have got it wrong or something maybe majorly different.

What is also added to UK holiday entitlement are "Bank Holidays" - which are 8 in total. Not sure if Lumutqueen's figures include those or not.

When I left employment a few yrs ago to work for myself I had a total of 30 days paid leave plus 8 Bank holidays.

Compared to US, UK is generous.

25 holidays between May and December?? Were they paid holidays? I know of no where in the US that has that kind of paid time off. If there is, let me know, I'd be interested!

From what I have read and heard from many people in the US they are way less generous with paid leave time that Europe or Australia.

I couldn't imagine anywhere in the US where staff get paid MORE when on holidays then when they work but we do here in Australia as we receive a 17.5% leave loading - or 17.5% more than our regular pay during our four week annual leave. This was introduced many years ago to compensate shift workers so that they wouldn't be out of pocket when going on leave but it was spread to many other jobs as well.

Another 'leave' that we can earn here is Long Service Leave - that is paid leave after continued employment with the same firm e.g. I have been with my current employer for 24 years and have taken 22 weeks LSL and have another 16 saved up for use at some time in the future - so in another 10 years (when I plan on retiring) if I don't use any more I will retire and get paid for another 6 months on full pay before needing to take any form of pension.

My point is that you can't compare one country's leave entitlements to another's as each country is different.

What Beatrice is entitled to in the UK would, no doubt, be different to anywhere in the US.

Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014

Born to the wrong set of parents, methinks.

I believe companies in the USA are far less generous with vacation time. Teachers, of course, get school breaks and summers off, but new employees in professional jobs in government and the private sector typically get 10 days (2 weeks.) Interns and many lower paid workers don't earn vacation time at all. Personally I think the USA should follow other country's models and allow more paid vacation.

And methinks (I love that saying BTW) that we have a winner here Folks.

Sad too, as I've always had the impression both York Princesses have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Truly a shame both keep getting nailed by the Press, and others as well, simply because of who their Parents are and their past "adventures".

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

What is also added to UK holiday entitlement are "Bank Holidays" - which are 8 in total. Not sure if Lumutqueen's figures include those or not.

When I left employment a few yrs ago to work for myself I had a total of 30 days paid leave plus 8 Bank holidays.

Compared to US, UK is generous.

It didn't.

25 holidays between May and December?? Were they paid holidays? I know of no where in the US that has that kind of paid time off. If there is, let me know, I'd be interested!

And yes they were.

In the UK a full time worker is entitled to just over 5 weeks holiday (5.6 weeks), depending on the company this may or may not include Bank Holidays of which there are 8 each year.
Given that Beatrice has been seen on holidays in relatively close European destinations she could IMO easily have taken these in the same way most people would and without needing any special treatment.

Please note that several posts regarding vacation times and how they vary from country to country have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f187/worker-benefits-around-the-world-38005.html .

A couple of the posts have been copied [i.e. references to British work holidays and how these official holidays impact Beatrice's vacations] and will appear in both threads.

Please continue the general discussion in the new thread.

Zonk

Independent.ie mentions "that an announcement will be made in the spring".
If Beatrice and David are engaged, would not Beatrice want to wear her engagement ring?
What is a Princess to do? Does she have to hide her engagement ring in the attic?

Maybe she and David are waiting with official announcing of their engagement till the time after christening of 2nd baby of William & Kate?

Maybe she and David are waiting with official announcing of their engagement till the time after christening of 2nd baby of William & Kate?

That's an interesting thought.

I've always thought that either one of Beatrice and Dave/Eugenie and Jack would announce an engagement soon, but I'm starting to doubt Beatrice and Dave after some articles have said they're not engaged. Of course I don't know for sure; but perhaps they would prefer not to get married - I know a few couples who have known each other for a long while and have children but are not married, and they're very happy. However I don't think this will happen in the BRF.

The Sun have given Beatrice their front page tomorrow - "Her Royal Work Shyness". Oh what a horrible start to 2015 for the family.

The Sun have given Beatrice their front page tomorrow - "Her Royal Work Shyness". Oh what a horrible start to 2015 for the family.

Never mind the family, this is a nasty bullying attack on someone who takes no public money. British tabloid paper at its worst.

I understand an attack on Andrew (public figure who represents UK on a regular basis) but this is unwarranted.

Its unfair because as you say, Beatrice receives no public money nor represents the country officially. However her father does and with all the media attention around him I'm not surprised a headline like the Sun's has come out.

Never mind the family, this is a nasty bullying attack on someone who takes no public money. British tabloid paper at its worst.

I understand an attack on Andrew (public figure who represents UK on a regular basis) but this is unwarranted.

I agree with you, but we can't expect anything else from the sun.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/560932777156431872/photo/1

On sky news press preview tonight they criticized Beatrix because she did not represent the royal family, she lives in large palaces, and that she has security around the clock.

Beatrice gets her security paid for by her father in the last few years. So does her sister. As Andrew's money comes from the Queen I suppose the Press feel they have a point there.

Beatrice gets her security paid for by her father in the last few years. So does her sister. As Andrew's money comes from the Queen I suppose the Press feel they have a point there.

The money that Andrew receives from the sovereign grant goes to cover his official duties. The security of Beatrix and her sister are either paid by private money or the Duchy of Lancaster.

While I agree it's nobody's business the Yorks do take a lot of holidays at very expensive places.
If they don't work either they are going to get bad press.
How they get the money to have such a lifestyle isn't for us to know but does make people wonder.
But if Granny wants pay that's fair enough but might be different with Uncle Charles.
Might be wise to plan ahead, get a job, save hard, buy a house etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The girls both have trusts, Dave has a good job and comes from a wealthy family, Beatrice sortof works it does seem she takes way more holidays then most but she can afford it. She lives in St James Palace and doesn't pay rent her father does at a much cheaper price then most would have to pay. So she can afford to go to these exotic locations and like her parents she probably get's some of these as freebies or for cheap. It's funny you don't see Eugenie having all these holidays that Beatrice does she just had a couple of weeks off over Christmas and went skiing etc. It's a lot of leave for someone who has been in a job what 12 months or less?

The girls both have trusts, Dave has a good job and comes from a wealthy family, Beatrice sortof works it does seem she takes way more holidays then most but she can afford it. She lives in St James Palace and doesn't pay rent her father does at a much cheaper price then most would have to pay. So she can afford to go to these exotic locations and like her parents she probably get's some of these as freebies or for cheap. It's funny you don't see Eugenie having all these holidays that Beatrice does she just had a couple of weeks off over Christmas and went skiing etc. It's a lot of leave for someone who has been in a job what 12 months or less?

When Andrew and Sarah bought the ski lodge it was said it was for the girls future. So they must have some concerns about their daughters financial future so encouraging them to have a career and provide for them selfs would be a good idea. I don't want to see them flogging juicers on American TV like their mother

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

We have already had this discussion about the holidays etc for the British. There is even a thread where the differences between different countries is discussed. There were also earlier posts in this thread about Beatrice and her leave entitlements. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f187/worker-benefits-around-the-world-38005.html

I frequently see references to these alleged trusts usually with suggestions that the Queen mother set them up for all of her great grandchildren. But in Mike Tindall's interview the other day he said that he and Zara had to pay their own way, so I'm not convinced the girls received trusts from their GGM. I did read that trusts were set up for the girls as part of their parent's divorce settlement - but those weren't very large. Of course Dave needs to socialize with the very wealthy to sell them very expensive space travel, so perhaps Branson pays for some of these jaunts as a business expense.
It will be interesting to see how Uncle Charles handles the Yorks' finances once the Duchy of Lancaster income is his.

Regardless if the Queen Mother left her great grandchildren [specifically the York Princesses] any money, I would think that she did leave her grandson [in this case Andrew] some money, and he [and/or The Queen] is financing their lifestyle. I also wouldn't be surprised if the any monies left by the Queen Mother to Beatrice and Eugenie were in a trust, and they are using any interest and cant touch the principal. I think Mike was making a general comment [regarding the expense of Zara's profession] as they do support themselves, but they are not struggling like the average joe to pay the bills. I would think that the Queen will take care of her grandchildren when the time comes. But again, I am thinking trusts where they live off the principal with a nice little prenup for just in case. Her grandchildren will be well off but their children [Mia, Savannah, Isla, etc.] will have to work.

In addition, the rich don't travel like the rest of us. They tend to travel with other rich friends [on their yacht, at their luxury home, etc] so they probably don't spend that much. They spend a week or two at Friend A's house, and than they move on to the next place of Friend B's. Much like the old days of Edward VII, who would frequent the homes of other rich people.

IMO this is just another case of Beatrice can't win. When she had a regular job people complained that she took the job/internship of someone who really needs it...when she doesn't work people tell her to get a job. If she decided to stay in the movie business, whose to say that she isn't between gigs. Either way, someone is going to complain.

Last edited:
Beatrice and Dave were in St. Barts for New Year's Eve, have they gone there twice in a month? Or have they been there for 4 weeks? Either way, lucky them!

Well, I guess I was right about her going to St. Barts twice in a month. Ha!

That Sun article is some sexist b.s. though. Prince Harry went on more holidays than Beatrice last year. In fact, Harry was his family's most prolific globetrotter last year but they attack Beatrice instead, even though she is basically a private citizen unlike Harry.

If the Sun wanted to be fair they should be reporting this list.

Harry's Holiday Spree

jan- skiing in Alps
feb - hunting in Spain
march- skiing in Kazakhstan
april- holiday safari in Africa
may- party in Miami/ Memphis
june- party in slovakia
aug- 1. holiday in Sotogrande, Spain with the Yorks
2. Yachting with Ben Goldsmith
sept- party in Italy
oct- holiday safari in Africa
nov- Abu dubai partying, yachting

Not to mention all his domestic holidays to friends estates and party festivals. Beatrice has been given the shaft by the sexist tabloids!

One of the pictures includes "pucker businessman" in the caption. Does anyone know what "pucker" means in that context?

It's a slang word meaning genuine or good-quality as in "you can trust him, he's pucker".

It's a slang word meaning genuine or good-quality as in "you can trust him, he's pucker".

but it should be spelled "pukka" - one of the many Indian words in general use in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom