Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Beatrice and David are going to announce an engagement, perhaps they are deciding on a date that has no former significance.
It is a date which no British Royal has a birthday or a wedding anniversary.
It would be their day.

I'm sure some conversations have been had with Andrew and Sarah. Dave seems to be very welcomed by the family too.

Can't go by that; Andrew and Sarah were fond of the previous BF too. Then they learned he had a prison sentence.

Can't go by that; Andrew and Sarah were fond of the previous BF too. Then they learned he had a prison sentence.

I think Dave is alright. It's said that it's William that introduced them. They've been going strong ever since. I think they know what track they're going on after all this time. We just have to wait and see where all of this is going.

If Beatrice and David are going to announce an engagement, perhaps they are deciding on a date that has no former significance.
It is a date which no British Royal has a birthday or a wedding anniversary.
It would be their day.

I don't really think it matters when they announce their engagement, if they do. The important day is the wedding day; that is the day that needs to be their day and their day alone. If they want to get engaged I hope they do it when they want to and don't keep postponing it because something randomly occurs in another family member's life.

Last edited:
I don't really think it matters when they announce their engagement, if they do. The important day is the wedding day; that is the day that needs to be their day and their day alone. If they want to get engaged I hope they do it when they want to and don't keep postponing it because something randomly occurs in another family members' life.

The royals always announce their engagements on the days they feel like it. Unless, there's some sort of sickness or death, it really don't matter when they announce it.

I noticed that on the Today Show, Sarah mentioned wanting to stay healthy 'to live to see her daughters get married.' Was she dropping a hint? Did she have that on her mind for some reason? Time will tell, I guess...

:previous: Sounds like fairly standard mother-talk to me. It could mean that she has had a health scare that has caused her to direct her mind to the length of time she might live and the things she wants to live to see, or that one or both of her daughters have given her reason to think they aren't planning to marry for a long time, but my bet is standard mother-talk.

I've noticed that the British Royals have fairly short engagements, once they announce, the wedding happens about 6 months later. Zara, the only female of Beatrice's generation to have married waited until she was around 30 I think. As did William and wasn't Peter about the same age as well? Beatrice took awhile finding a niche for herself in the workplace so perhaps working awhile before becoming a wife and then mother is a wise move on her part. It wouldn't surprise me if she chose to marry in the near future as she and Dave have been a couple for a long time, but it makes perfect sense to me to wait until she's 28-30 as well.
I do wonder what will happen w/ her St. James apartment and her security once she does marry. I assume she and Dave will need to find their own place(s) and pay for them from their own funds and that security for her and her children will not be provided, but don't know if that will be the case.

Security isn't provided for princess Beatrice anyway. It's Prince Andrew who pays for it.

Similarly for the St. James Palace apt.

If Andrew continues to pay for it or Dave pays for it, she can still have the same privileges

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think Dave is alright. It's said that it's William that introduced them. They've been going strong ever since. I think they know what track they're going on after all this time. We just have to wait and see where all of this is going.

William did not introduce them, that rumor was eventually shot down just like the rumor Harry introduced Zara to Mike. When the press found out Dave studied at Edinburgh the press wrongly assumed he had a William connection - especially since the men are the same age. In fact Beatrice and Dave met at Sean Brosnan's birthday party.

Actually there have been many articles saying William does not like Dave and this has put further strain on his relationship with his cousin Beatrice.

I wonder why the Press does not pick up on the "Waity Beatrice" moniker?

Because since finishing university Beatrice has done internships, studied for more qualifications, had a job and done another internship, along with charity work.

Waity Katie was because all she did was 'wait' around for the ring. She didn't actually do anything in those years - especially when she told Jigsaw that she had to be 'on call for her very important boyfriend'.

Neither did Beatrice, if we're honest.
It was said she is doing internships, etc.

But she always seems to have time to go off whenever she likes, to attend RF events, go on vacation, lunch in Venice, etc.

Someone once said that girls in that strata of society pretend to work; I think that's about as accurate an assessment as we will find.

Beatrice never did any more than Kate did.

(At least Kate had a better reason; she had to work around William's schedule. Otherwise, when would she ever see him?)

Because since finishing university Beatrice has done internships, studied for more qualifications, had a job and done another internship, along with charity work.

Waity Katie was because all she did was 'wait' around for the ring. She didn't actually do anything in those years - especially when she told Jigsaw that she had to be 'on call for her very important boyfriend'.

Catherine did work, but it just wasn't the kind of jobs people thought she should've been working. Dating William, she needed flexible schedules.

And it seems that that ridiculous notion that working for your family business means it not a real job :rolleyes:

She did do internships and from one ended up with a job for about 8 months. She has been doing an internship with Sony and we even know how much she is earning as a result of the Sony hacking scandal and the photos of her at work that have appeared.

But she always seems to have time to go off whenever she likes, to attend RF events, go on vacation, lunch in Venice, etc.

She didn't have 'time-off' whenever she wanted. She does spend her weekends in Europe - and so do many young people in Britain (I have ex-students who take jobs in the UK and travel to Europe every Friday night and back again on Sunday evening as it is quick and cheap to do that)

Someone once said that girls in that strata of society pretend to work; I think that's about as accurate an assessment as we will find.

Someone might have said it but it doesn't make it true. I have a number of friends in that strata - friends of my extended family - and they do real work not pretend work. It is usually the media who make these claims because they want to pull down upper class people by making negative claims.

(At least Kate had a better reason; she had to work around William's schedule. Otherwise, when would she ever see him?)

Beatrice has done a lot more that Kate (not hard as Kate did nothing much at all).

One word to describe the way she was 'on call' for William and so couldn't work full time for Jigsaw - her only pretence at a real job - isn't repeatable here but is one that was used by many people at the time. Her excuse that she had to be available for William wouldn't work for any other woman or employer.

Beatrice has worked in the real world - in finance and with Sony. This has been well reported.

Catherine did work, but it just wasn't the kind of jobs people thought she should've been working. Dating William, she needed flexible schedules.

I think this is the nub of the whole thing. :flowers:

And it seems that that ridiculous notion that working for your family business means it not a real job :rolleyes:

I agree here. :flowers: The assumption seems to be that saying she was doing so meant that she wasn't, that she would be allowed to just 'do nothing'. Given Michael and Carole Middleton's obvious work ethic, I have never been inclined to see Catherine as a lay-about. (I definitely argued this point with my mother!)

I think there was always a different measuring stick used for Kate. I'm not sure why. I have some hunches, but that's all they are.

Bingo! :flowers: Yep.

I have come to value Iluvbertie's views, so if she says that Beatrice really has been working it gives me pause. But I tend to see it your way. Beatrice has been 'playing' - happily so.

I agree, but I think this is seen as an ignoble reason somehow, by those who want her to have been a 'working woman' like Letizia or Maxima. In this there is a clash of values, and reasonableness imo. I have no trouble resonating to a woman who makes way for a relationship with a man. I have done as much (as I know he has done for me). If you are in love and are serious, you make choices that may not look good on a resume. That's a fact. Kate was paired up with William when she was still in her teens, still at university. This would inevitably impact her career trajectory, and how she thought about her life unfolding.

Last edited:
Sorry, not buying it.

I see absolutely no difference between Beatrice's work CV and Kate's.
That job in finance didn't last very long (I think 8 months is a generous estimate. But then, we didn't find out she'd quit until some time afterwards).

Since then it's been "internships" - really, how many internships does one person have?

Beatrice is 26.
Catherine married age 29.

Zara also dated Mike for nearly a decade before marrying him.

If you meet the right person when you are young, you do not jump into a marriage.

The family business is cutting ribbons and smiling at functions. None of them work, except the men who are in the armed forces. Princess Anne works, because she has made a real job for herself.

The family business is cutting ribbons and smiling at functions. None of them work, except the men who are in the armed forces. Princess Anne works, because she has made a real job for herself.

I disagree a bit. Prince Charles works, seriously works. :flowers: Princess Anne works by sheer dint of the volume of events she manages to perform in a year, and the fact that she manages her own farm/stables/estate. Edward would be working except that nothing but the military appears permissible for one of the children of the monarch, so he 'makes do'.

Beatrice get's a lot of time of work she hasn't even been at Sony 12 months and has time of for tropical vacations, weddings, ski trips and Royal events as well. The average doesn't not get this sort of leeway. Beatrice quit her job and then took internship again when exactly is she going to get a real job? It's been a few years since she left Uni and did a course which is irrelevant to what she does. Kate worked at her families business etc so she did work and she didn't take off time for all the royal things Beatrice does.

Beatrice is an intern. She helps set up film productions. The company is not always filming so Beatrice has more time off than if she worked a standard 9-5 job.

Adam Helliker on Princess Bea's engagement, Jamie Dornan and Daniel Radcliffe | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

WHILE Prince Andrew's reputation has sunk to an all-time low, there may be some uplifting news for the beleaguered duke, with renewed chatter of an imminent engagement between his eldest daughter Beatrice and her boyfriend David Clark.

I almost missed this gem. Adam Helliker is not a reliable source. He's the writer that claimed Mike and Zara were on the verge of divorce and living at different residences. At the time he published this article baby Mia was being conceived. Mike sued him and his paper for libel and won financial damages. I wonder if Mr. Helliker is still licking his wounds?

Other people should sue him. He wrote that both George Percy and James Middleton are gay - and used very disrespectful language to Donna Air. He also wrote that Pippa is close friends with the con-artist Jessica Hay and feeds her info, to justify why his paper would use Miss. Hay as a source after she had been exposed as a liar. He always describes Princess Madeline of Sweden in very lecherous and sexual words, and talks about how he would like to bed her. I won't get into the things he's said about Edward and Sophie's sex life or lack thereof. He gets away with murder because he thinks people are too classy to sue him. Bravo Mike Tindall!

Of course, I've never bought into Henry Ford's saying of " never complain, never explain". If I was at the BRF's p.r. helm I'd be launching libel/defamation lawsuits at the British Press on a weekly basis. haha

Beatrice get's a lot of time of work she hasn't even been at Sony 12 months and has time of for tropical vacations, weddings, ski trips and Royal events as well. The average doesn't not get this sort of leeway. Beatrice quit her job and then took internship again when exactly is she going to get a real job? It's been a few years since she left Uni and did a course which is irrelevant to what she does. Kate worked at her families business etc so she did work and she didn't take off time for all the royal things Beatrice does.

What job would you like to see her do/get?

I have a degree, and I'm currently doing a job not related to my degree in anyway because I need the money to get the qualifications to do a job related to my degree. You'll find that most people do not get a job relating to their degree straight out of uni, it's quite hard.

I started my job in May 2014 and I got 25 days holiday between May and December 2014. If this is the case with Beatrice and she's working a 5 day out of 7 contract as most do, that's 5 weeks holiday she could have used in a row. However if you're wise you split it to encompass days off so you have longer. That's an average and covers half a year. Maybe someone from America could explain the holiday policy as I might have got it wrong or something maybe majorly different.

A lot of the times that she has off are actually weekends - or they could also be 'days in lieu' - that is she works on a weekend or extended hours such as a night and then gets other days off. A bit like 'flexi time' in Australia and companies like Sony do a lot of work outside normal working hours. She also started at Sony this time last year so she has been there a year.

My understanding is that Beatrice isn't receiving taxpayer funds to support her lifestyle, although her permanent home is with her father--like many 20-something women. If her employer is okay with the number of hours she spends in the office, I don't see why it is a matter of criticism.

There are some jobs that aren't necessarily 9-5 but the employer receives a lot of value from that person. There are other jobs that have flexible hours. It's also possible that she is part-time.

Apparently, Beatrice has enough money that she could choose not to work, but she has a job anyway. (I admit I am jealous) She also chooses to work with several charities. To my knowledge she is not engaged in any criminal activity.

I don't understand the negativity.

Born to the wrong set of parents, methinks.
I believe companies in the USA are far less generous with vacation time. Teachers, of course, get school breaks and summers off, but new employees in professional jobs in government and the private sector typically get 10 days (2 weeks.) Interns and many lower paid workers don't earn vacation time at all. Personally I think the USA should follow other country's models and allow more paid vacation.

we don't know that Beatrice actually works or is on an internship that requires her to be in 5 days a week. Maybe she only works 3 or 4 days a week in which case she could easily fly off for weekends overseas without taking holidays. I know a few people who for various reasons don't work a full 5 day working week. (Though to be fair none of them are in positions to fly off to mainland Europe for a nice weekend) We don't know her circumstances.
Also she may have taken some holidays whilst between internships, if she gives herself a week or so between each one that gives her time to go on holiday.
Whilst personally I think a string of internships for most young people can be a not-so-wise decision, I can see why someone in Beatrice's position would go for it - let's face it she doesn't need a 'career' from a financial point of view and by doing internships she can experience a range of careers/industries.

Last edited:
And enough with the comparisons thank you. Further posts comparing Beatrice and Kate's work histories will be removed.

My understanding is that Beatrice isn't receiving taxpayer funds to support her lifestyle, although her permanent home is with her father--like many 20-something women. If her employer is okay with the number of hours she spends in the office, I don't see why it is a matter of criticism.

There are some jobs that aren't necessarily 9-5 but the employer receives a lot of value from that person. There are other jobs that have flexible hours. It's also possible that she is part-time.

Apparently, Beatrice has enough money that she could choose not to work, but she has a job anyway. (I admit I am jealous) She also chooses to work with several charities. To my knowledge she is not engaged in any criminal activity.

A truly excellent post. This thread seems to suffer from a large dose of negativity. I'd say it was unwarranted, if it didn't mean that I give it consideration.

I find myself wondering why people find the need to post such nasty innuendo because for me it's 'put up or shut up', but people post such nasty things and quote the ubiquitous "they" as their source. Any requests for a credible source is seen as negative at best and bullying at worst.

It's a crazy world when you have to defend the truth and lies and misinformation get a free pass.

I admire Beatrice' work ethic. She doesn't have to do it but she does and with her dyslexia any job is going to have more than the usual challenges.

I also admire her charity work, initially with those of her mother, with 'Springboard for Children', 'Teenage Cancer Trust' and 'Children in Crisis' for which she was sponsored to run the London Marathon. Anyone willing to work their butt off to get fit enough to do that for charity is a winner in my book.

In November 2012, Beatrice became the first royal patron of the York Musical Society and in April 2013, she became royal patron of The Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre.

Holding down a job and doing the myriad things, mostly unreported, in support of all these charities is praiseworthy at the very least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom