Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people have style and some people don't and Beatrice and Eugenie don't. They has way more misses then hit's. Bea could dress really well she has the money too but she chooses poorly and just because it's black doesn't make it chic which she seems to think. There was an outfit she wore out with Cressida and it was way too old and ill fitting for her.

For some reason the British royals try not to be too fashionable. Their European counterparts usually leave them in the dust when it comes to fashion. I think The Queen prefer her court to follow King George V's idea of dressing older and play down fashion.

For some reason the British royals try not to be too fashionable. Their European counterparts usually leave them in the dust when it comes to fashion. I think The Queen prefer her court to follow King George V's idea of dressing older and play down fashion.

This outfit must have given her palpitations then. :lol: Though perhaps Sophie's the exception that makes it a rule. Sophie, Countess of Wessex, turns heads with her skin-tight skirt as she attends Easter service at Windsor... That £860 Easter bonnet helped, too! | Mail Online

Last edited:
:previous::ohmy:Good grief, what was she thinking? A big *purple bad*, a weird blue jacket with the same rhinestone blouse, idea...maybe she reads this site and does this just to get people's attention.

Neither have any taste nor someone who can tell then they look awful.

You guys are talking about to wonderful young ladies that not only enjoy being with their grandparents but also willing to help or support them out whenever possible. Beatrice & Eugenie are the ones that's mostly by The Queen's side on private and palace engagements.

You may not like their style but I think they are lovely young ladies. I support a smaller and effective Monarchy with the attention only on the most senior members of the royal family, but I have to admit that the York girls are proving to be up for the job (If) they're ever called to it.

Last edited:
She could have at least had a neutral bag and not purple
But purple is the sign of royalty,it was in the Middle Ages

No matter what happens in the future, the fact remains that Beatrice and Eugenie were born into the British royal family. I really don't see what is the big deal that one of them walked into or out of somewhere as millions of people go into and out of places daily and its no remarkable feat to inspire admiration but we all know that royal "spotting" fills space in newspapers and internet websites. I find it inane that some pap would find it a life calling to lurk around somewhere to watch someone walk out the door. Wouldn't it be amusing if perhaps at least once, a royal lost their lunch all over said inane pap? I think so.

Being part of a family is not a career or a path one strives to attain in life and I don't believe it is any different for the members of the British royal family. There is, however, the family business which some of the family does dedicate themselves to and promote and there's some in the family that have gone on other paths and made their own lives. This is the difference between the royal family and what they, themselves, call The Firm.

I think the major problem with Beatrice and Eugenie right now is that it is hard for many to separate their involvement in the family and their non involvement in the Firm. These are two young ladies (albeit titled, wealthy young ladies) that are exploring their world and finding where they would like their lives to go in the future. It may be a career, marriage and children or even studying the mating habits of the mosquito in remote swamps but the thing is, its their choices to make. Like their choices of clothing, they have the freedom to choose, like the rest of us do, where their lives will take them. Its the senior members of the Firm and the immediate line of succession that really don't have that choice and have their lives pretty much mapped out for them. These will be the ones that will compose the workforce of the Firm in the future. Its not Charles slighting or casting out anyone but more so giving those a way down the totem pole the freedom to choose their own lifestyles.

As a story once told about a conversation between Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret on the ascension of their father to King, Margaret asked Elizabeth if this meant that one day she would be Queen. Elizabeth answered "Yes" and Margaret's response was "Poor you".

Yes, exactly. If there wasn't some desire on the part of HM to have them as part of the visible Royal Family, they wouldn't be there. Also, Princess Beatrice seems to be taking on a few patronages. Princess Eugenie is currently working in New York with a plan to later work in London. They are always pleasant and polite. I can't remember a story of them every being surly toward photographers or anyone else.

You guys are talking about to wonderful young ladies that not only enjoy being with their grandparents but also willing to help or support them out whenever possible. Beatrice & Eugenie are the ones that's mostly by The Queen's side on private and palace engagements.

Please define stylish figure. She looks ratty. The close are awful. She could be stylish but never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

I'm sorry but I just don't see what's terribly wrong with this outfit. It's not great, but it's not horrible IMO, it's just 'eh.' She has worn much, much worse.

Also I don't understand why the fuss about her purple bag. She doesn't always have to match-she wasn't even "on duty."

I never cease to be amazed at the level of pure vitriol poured on both Beatrice and her sister. It is a mystery to me why people feel the need to be so personally nasty.

This is a current events thread and, let's be frank, since they are not full-time working members of the BRF there really isn't a lot of action. However, the media have space to fill, so since William and Catherine are flying well under the radar and Harry is rarely to be seen, it often falls to Beatrice and Eugenie to be the visible face of the younger royals.

In lieu of royal engagements they stalk the girls and flash pictures of them coming and going at various restuarants and clubs like these girls live in eternal night. Common sense would make most people think, "hmm, what do they do during the day?" or more pertinately, what do they do most days and nights. Well they have their charities which they support enthusiastically, their jobs, which we know little about and are not entitled to know more. And then there are the times they are seen with their family, their Grandmother, etc. and for some sick reason, photo's of them with their family evoke vitriolic tirades as to their status, their parentage and let's not forget, their supposed lack of taste and refinement.

Now it get's even wierder. Because they are photographed with their family their clothes come under close scrutiny and, more often than not, do not meet the exacting standards of a select, but vocal, minority. That in and of itself is normal but this fixation bleeds into nasty aspersions about their character, or lack thereof, and ridiculous howls protesting their HRH status and even their title of "Princess". And it's all downhill from there.

Would it really be too hard to cease the character assassinations and stick to the thread?

Could their clothing be the latest posts in the fashion threads?

As to their appearance with their grandparents at Ascot, etc. could that not be discussed on the appropriate threads?

It's probably because her and Eugenie tend to show up at the nice, easy and fun royal events like Chelsea flower show, Ascot, garden parties etc. In between times there appears to be nothing of much substance going on, just endless nights out and holidays. .... those titles lead to expectations among the public and when people observe their lifestyle it makes the Royal Family look bad IMO.
Yes I think you have hit the nail on the head. :flowers:

I looked at the Duke of York's official website and it still states that Beatrice "works full time in finance," - which I don't believe has been true since she left Cabot Square a year ago. The Sony internship started in January 2014, do these internships usually last longer than 4 months?

Last edited by a moderator:
Internships in the UK can last for a lot longer than 4 months - up to 1 year in some cases. I did some research into them earlier this year and multiple years is often the case. I also remember reading about them when Chelsy was undertaking an internship with a law firm in London and again the view was years not months - cheap way of employing people as they don't get paid as much as a full-time employee but they do get skills etc and often get jobs out of it.

Work experience and internships: Internships | Prospects.ac.uk

William and Harry had their 20s to do their own thing and I am suspecting that Beatrice and Eugenie are being given the same thing - their 20s to do their own thing - art and auctions for Eugenie, finance for Beatrice (she may be working in finance at Sony or somewhere else in the company - we weren't told that - only that she was interning there).

While William went from one branch of the military to another it seems that Beatrice isn't allowed to go from one type of career to another to find her feet.

A comparison of what William and Beatrice did after leaving school:

1 gap year
3 years at uni for Beatrice compared to 4 years at uni for William (different courses taking different lengths of time) - Beatrice did two subjects to William's one
1 post-uni break of many months

Ages at end of above - William 23, Beatrice 24

William entered the army to train and then serve before doing some time in the navy and then transferring, through a loophole, to the RAF to do more training and some service

Beatrice has done a course in finance and then worked in finance for 8 - 9 months before taking a break to find another position.

Of course the Beatrice haters think she is a waste of space rather than a typical young woman trying to find her niche. Given the UK job market she can't win either - if she gets a job - she used her connections, wasn't qualified and took a job from someone who needed it more but if she doesn't have a job then she is hoping to be a working royal full-time.

What people forget is that she is a wealthy young woman in her own right - not as wealthy as William and Harry because her mother wasn't given such a huge divorce settlement but she will have been well provided for by her grandmother and great-grandmother through trust funds etc.

There is also a story now in the Express that she has another job in finance -
http://www.express.co.uk/comment/co...er-on-Tour-de-France-Beatrice-and-Lhasa-Apsos

Thank you for the info. on internships in the UK, and interesting if the Express article is correct and she has found a job in finance.
I must disagree w/ the suggestion that 'she can't win and if she gets a job people will say she used her connections, took it from someone who needs it, etc.' None of the articles I have read about her getting the former job w/ Cabot Square or the internship at Sony have criticized her for these reasons and none have criticized Eugenie for this either. The tabloid press criticize Beatrice for her frequent vacations and late nights, but I've not seen claims that she is using her position to steal a job from some one more in need of one. I don't read the comments the public may post, so perhaps that is the source of this claim, but the press doesn't seem to allege this.

I seem to recall that William has taken a lot of flack for dawdling in regards to commencing royal duties, and Catherine certainly was harshly criticized for not having a proper career and only working for her parents, thus I'm not surprised that people have criticized Beatrice for appearing to prefer vacationing to working. If the finance job rumour is correct that should silence the critics.

My impression is that Peter, Zara, Harry and Eugenie all rather smoothly & quickly entered the work force and thus did not garner the criticism that William and Beatrice have.

Beatrice will never silence the critics because she is Andrew and Sarah's daughter and thus has to be the one to be picked on as Diana's sons get a pass for simply being her sons.

The comments about her taking the jobs from others doesn't have to come from the media alone - but the views of the general public as expressed through the comments in the media are also valid comments and there have been many there that have expressed opposition to all the younger royals and the way they have got their jobs e.g. how did Eugenie get a green card? how did Beatrice get a job in finance? how did Harry get into Sandhurst given his virtually failure at school etc etc. They are also views of the people not just the elite media.

Not reading the comments means that you aren't getting the views of some of the people - which as an historian I find quite interesting and valid sources for the future historians to come on these issues - just as letters to the editor are valuable sources for the past.

The tabloid press criticize Beatrice for her frequent vacations and late nights, but I've not seen claims that she is using her position to steal a job from some one more in need of one. I don't read the comments the public may post, so perhaps that is the source of this claim, but the press doesn't seem to allege this.

Well, no. Because I don't think many people believe that Beatrice truly has a job.

What kind of job (or internship, for that matter) allows someone to take time off whenever they feel like it? And go on numerous holidays at the drop of a hat?

She hasn't actually taken holidays 'at the drop of a hat'. She has gone away to Europe for some weekends - as do many people in Britain.

Her second trip to St Barts was over the Easter long weekend.

The other trips were before she started her internship - back in January.

She actually hasn't had a day away from work - until this past week - since the internship was announced.

I seem to recall having this discussion once before; then it turned out that Beatrice had actually given up her job (or internship) months before, but it wasn't in the press and few people knew about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the same situation this time.

Posts having no relevance to the thread topic have been edited or removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Celebrities love to court friends in high places, and in one of the more peculiar pairings of recent times Princess Beatrice enjoyed a double date on Wednesday with funny man Jimmy Carr.
The two apparent pals dined out at exclusive London restaurant Zuma with their respective other halves.
Beatrice was joined by long term boyfriend David Clark for the meal, while Jimmy was accompanied by his partner Karoline Copping.

Princess Beatrice and Jimmy Carr head out on double date in London | Mail Online

Wondeful to see The Big Change sponsoring/funding programs like the Franklin Scholars. Sounds like a fantastic idea and a win win for all.

BTW...Beatrice visited a school a few months ago where she spoke to a class of kids w/Dyslexia about her own struggles w/it and there was a fantastic quote of hers about how they all have "magic brains" and because of that, have to learn in a different way from everyone else. I was telling a friend who is a Special Education Teacher about what Beatrice said and how that quote should be up in every Special Ed room & not only did she agree w/me, but she wants the quote. Only, I can't seem to find links to any articles from that event. When I tried Googling it, all that came up were articles on her Fashion. Mostly even now were about *that* hat from the Wedding.

Could someone help me out and point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!!

Wondeful to see The Big Change sponsoring/funding programs like the Franklin Scholars. Sounds like a fantastic idea and a win win for all.

BTW...Beatrice visited a school a few months ago where she spoke to a class of kids w/Dyslexia about her own struggles w/it and there was a fantastic quote of hers about how they all have "magic brains" and because of that, have to learn in a different way from everyone else. I was telling a friend who is a Special Education Teacher about what Beatrice said and how that quote should be up in every Special Ed room & not only did she agree w/me, but she wants the quote. Only, I can't seem to find links to any articles from that event. When I tried Googling it, all that came up were articles on her Fashion. Mostly even now were about *that* hat from the Wedding.

Could someone help me out and point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!!

Here you go!

""Dyslexia is not a pigeonhole to say you can’t do anything. It is an opportunity and a possibility to learn differently. You have magical brains, they just process differently. Don’t feel like you should be held back by it," she told the youngsters."

Princess Beatrice discusses her dyslexia with British schoolchildren - hellomagazine.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom