The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I like Beatrice and I've always defended her, but the vacations are undefendable IMO. I 'm hoping to see if she really is keeping something for the future.
This is the obvious sign of a direction-less girl, going from one no-future role to another. Whilst she is perfectly entitled to live like this, and we are really ought not to be entitled to criticise her as she does not carry out royal engagements nor is she supported by the public purse, it just seems like such a waste in today's world. Here is a girl with a whole life ahead of her, but just does not appear to have any determination to make something of it.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This is the obvious sign of a direction-less girl, going from one no-future role to another. Whilst she is perfectly entitled to live like this, and we are really ought not to be entitled to criticise her as she does not carry out royal engagements nor is she supported by the public purse, it just seems like such a waste in today's world. Here is a girl with a whole life ahead of her, but just does not appear to have any determination to make something of it.
Fully agree. I, in away, feel a bit of a pity for her, because she clearly has not indea of what to do or what role she should take in... I think she is much more confortable at doing a full time royal and carrying out engagements, but she knows it can't be like that. And I fear she really doesn't feel confortable in a work.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There's an old expression from, I think, a song that my mom always used to used. "I'm a lonely petunia in an onion patch". With Beatrice going to work as intern in various places, I can imagine that her roles and duties on the job wouldn't be one of a top notch position and perhaps even on the same scale as working with other interns. I wonder just how well she "fit" in with the other employees. It would have been no secret that she was princess and her grandmother is the Queen. Would the others have kept their distance? Would they accept her as just another employee? Would the weekends she went on that made the papers set her apart? I'm sure everyone treated her well but sometimes there is an undercurrent that can be felt easier when one is different among others in some way.

Its easy to look at and analyze the jobs she's had and the length of service at a job and add the weekend jaunts and trips together and come up with a physical picture and then deem Bea to be lazy, not wanting to work or use the label party princess but do any of us really know the why of her actions? I'm thinking it may be that she's not found a situation where she feels totally comfortable. One of Bea's perks is that unlike the majority of the human race, she doesn't have to grin and bear it at a job because she needs to pay rent, buy food and sustain herself or a family with her paychecks (or as an intern, not get paid at all). Some of us shop around at many stores before we find "the" dress and this just may be the case with Beatrice.

As far as the Andy's website, perhaps they've just not gotten around to updating Beatrice's profile yet. Who knows?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

But...how do we know she is not supported by the public purse?
As I've said before, her lifestyle is an expensive one, and the money has got to be coming from somewhere. I can't believe her trust fund would cover it, I've always heard it was rather modest (for a member of the RF).

At any rate, it provokes comment from a certain segment of the public who feel the monarchy should be abolished. It does the RF no good.

I'll be the one to say it: it makes her look spoiled, and greedy, and invites comparisons with her parents, particularly her mother.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
As I've said before, her lifestyle is an expensive one, and the money has got to be coming from somewhere. I can't believe her trust fund would cover it, I've always heard it was rather modest (for a member of the RF).
Perhaps her lifestyle, although it looks very grand and expensive, isn't as costly as one might assume. Its been stated that a lot of times, when she goes somewhere, she has friends and its their homes and yachts etc where she stays. It also stands to reason that traveling with Dave as an employee of Virgin Galatic would get some deep discounts on air travel. Other than perhaps the cost of dining out and ski lifts and such, these trips might not cost Beatrice much. We don't hear of $4,000 a night rooms at the Swank Hotel or a $50,000 rental of a tropical beach home but its more she was spotted skiing or on a boat with other friends etc.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Why shouldn't Beatrice live her life as she pleases? Life is much longer now than when many people married and reproduced in their early twenties and died by seventy. She potentially has another 70 years of life ahead of her, and this is the only time she will be young. Many of us would have chosen this lifestyle in our mid-twenties. And as for money, isn't PA said to be worth 60-80 million (pounds?dollars?)? He can certainly afford to support her luxurious lifestyle.

As to her 'directionless' career path- I rather hated my job at 26, and it didn't pay well. If I had been a princess with a wealthy family, I would have certainly quit it and just been a playgirl. It's not unlawful or even dubious to be a socialite. She's unlikely to move up the line of succession, so the criticism of some is meaningless to her, surely.

And perhaps, just perhaps, she is really unable to do a complex and meaningful job? There are ambitious and talented young people who are hungering for those precious opportunities.

A wasted life is not one in which the person enjoys life, stays healthy, doesn't create havoc or trouble for herself or others. Beatrice seems to be a placid person, well-loved by many. She doesn't have to be a high-powered career person to have a successful life. And she certainly doesn't have to hold down a low-level uninteresting job to be successful.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Majesty

There might be a feeling as well among co-workers that she doesn't really 'need' to work and is just filling in time. When/if she settles in the States, we might be surprised with what she accomplishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It would have been no secret that she was princess and her grandmother is the Queen. Would the others have kept their distance? Would they accept her as just another employee? Would the weekends she went on that made the papers set her apart? I'm sure everyone treated her well but sometimes there is an undercurrent that can be felt easier when one is different among others in some way.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There's an old expression from, I think, a song that my mom always used to used. "I'm a lonely petunia in an onion patch". With Beatrice going to work as intern in various places, I can imagine that her roles and duties on the job wouldn't be one of a top notch position and perhaps even on the same scale as working with other interns. I wonder just how well she "fit" in with the other employees. It would have been no secret that she was princess and her grandmother is the Queen. Would the others have kept their distance? Would they accept her as just another employee? Would the weekends she went on that made the papers set her apart? I'm sure everyone treated her well but sometimes there is an undercurrent that can be felt easier when one is different among others in some way.

Its easy to look at and analyze the jobs she's had and the length of service at a job and add the weekend jaunts and trips together and come up with a physical picture and then deem Bea to be lazy, not wanting to work or use the label party princess but do any of us really know the why of her actions? I'm thinking it may be that she's not found a situation where she feels totally comfortable. One of Bea's perks is that unlike the majority of the human race, she doesn't have to grin and bear it at a job because she needs to pay rent, buy food and sustain herself or a family with her paychecks (or as an intern, not get paid at all). Some of us shop around at many stores before we find "the" dress and this just may be the case with Beatrice.

As far as the Andy's website, perhaps they've just not gotten around to updating Beatrice's profile yet. Who knows?

My first reaction to this is "cry me a river" and "puh-leez." Look, everyone has difficulties, whether they're a princess or a pauper, but doesn't it say some thing about this girl's character that she doesn't seem to have a purpose, a drive, a cause, a passion for something useful and discernible?

Quote:
Perhaps her lifestyle, although it looks very grand and expensive, isn't as costly as one might assume. Its been stated that a lot of times, when she goes somewhere, she has friends and its their homes and yachts etc where she stays. It also stands to reason that traveling with Dave as an employee of Virgin Galatic would get some deep discounts on air travel. Other than perhaps the cost of dining out and ski lifts and such, these trips might not cost Beatrice much. We don't hear of $4,000 a night rooms at the Swank Hotel or a $50,000 rental of a tropical beach home but its more she was spotted skiing or on a boat with other friends etc.

1. It isn't just about the cost-it's about what it says about her access and privilege that 99% of other people don't have and could never have.

2. It costs a lot to "keep up with the Joneses," so it she may have been able to stay some places for free, but let's not pretend that these escapades don't come with a great deal of expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Why shouldn't Beatrice live her life as she pleases? Life is much longer now than when many people married and reproduced in their early twenties and died by seventy. She potentially has another 70 years of life ahead of her, and this is the only time she will be young. Many of us would have chosen this lifestyle in our mid-twenties. And as for money, isn't PA said to be worth 60-80 million (pounds?dollars?)? He can certainly afford to support her luxurious lifestyle.

As to her 'directionless' career path- I rather hated my job at 26, and it didn't pay well. If I had been a princess with a wealthy family, I would have certainly quit it and just been a playgirl. It's not unlawful or even dubious to be a socialite. She's unlikely to move up the line of succession, so the criticism of some is meaningless to her, surely.

And perhaps, just perhaps, she is really unable to do a complex and meaningful job? There are ambitious and talented young people who are hungering for those precious opportunities.

A wasted life is not one in which the person enjoys life, stays healthy, doesn't create havoc or trouble for herself or others. Beatrice seems to be a placid person, well-loved by many. She doesn't have to be a high-powered career person to have a successful life. And she certainly doesn't have to hold down a low-level uninteresting job to be successful.

This is the 21st century, not Downton Abbey. While she may absolutely have the right to this lifestyle, it will and does bring substantial controversy to her and her family.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'm not so sure; PA might have a lot of money's worth, but he could still have a cash flow problem.
If he really had tons of ready money, why would Fergie have gone through that cringe-worthy scramble of trading access for $$$? Why not just ask Andrew?

I don't think Andrew has nearly as much cash available as many people think.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Courtier

I really feel sorry for Princess Beatrice. While Princess Eugenie seems to enjoy having a life of work out of the Firm, Princess Beatrice strikes me as someone who'd like to have a role like that of Princess Alexandra - and I do think she's suitable for such a role.

In my opinion, she'll eventually settle down as a housewife and stay at home mother, which is a totally valid life choice.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I have always liked Beatrice and tended to defend her, but even I am beginning to have uncharitable thoughts about her. Having said that, I do think she is a victim of circumstance to a large extent.

It certainly doesn't help her that whoever is responsible for what is stated on her father's web page is so dense as to allow it to say she works full time. Such a comment invites criticism of her when it is patently clear that that is far from the truth. You'd think Andrew, of all people, would be cautious about such things. But the RF's PR machine seems to have slackened off a lot in recent years. They can't even manage to keep the Court Circular updated and accurate anymore.

Beatrice was made an HRH when she was born, and grew up with it, apparently expecting to do work for The Firm. But then things changed. Her grandmother decided Beatrice was not going to be a full time Royal, so she had to work. But I think she made some bad choices about work. For some reason she ended up doing a university course that did not suit her for the type of job she has been applying for since she left university. I don't know what happened there; whether it was an absence of or bad career advice when she was choosing her subjects for her senior high school years or at the time she was selecting university courses, but something went wrong somewhere. Maybe she just changed her mind or realised the history courses were a mistake. And perhaps there is a problem in the workplace when she turns up to a job with other interns; perhaps she doesn't fit in as one of them. That might be why she doesn't last in a job very long. But if there were problems in the workplace, perhaps she should have done a bit of brainstorming and nutted out a career path that did not involve having to go the intern route. But, then again, maybe to date she hasn't really made an real effort to do the job for which she has been engaged. This is all speculation though. None of us knows what actually happened, but the longer it goes on, the more we suspect that Beatrice just doesn't want to work but wants to pretend she does.

Lots of us end up in jobs we don't like or for which we are not suited, but most of us have to hang in there because we have invested several years getting to that place and we can't afford to go back and start again. Not so Beatrice. She can afford to leave and go back to square 1 and do something else, and it seems she might have retrained. I hope that now she gets a job in the US and sticks to it the way Eugenie has done.

I think we are prepared to accept an HRH princess who doesn't need to work and who goes on lots of holidays, but we do expect them to be honest about it and not pretend to be working full time when they aren't, and we also expect them to do something constructive with their life. If she doesn't have to work, good luck to her. She has every right to spend her life on a perpetual holiday if she can afford it, but if she chooses to do that she will pay a price for it. We might accept she has the right to do it and might envy her, but we do not admire people who live that way.

Time to fish or cut bait, Beatrice. Show us your true colours.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
My first reaction to this is "cry me a river" and "puh-leez." Look, everyone has difficulties, whether they're a princess or a pauper, but doesn't it say some thing about this girl's character that she doesn't seem to have a purpose, a drive, a cause, a passion for something useful and discernible?

1. It isn't just about the cost-it's about what it says about her access and privilege that 99% of other people don't have and could never have.

2. It costs a lot to "keep up with the Joneses," so it she may have been able to stay some places for free, but let's not pretend that these escapades don't come with a great deal of expense.

This is the 21st century, not Downton Abbey. While she may absolutely have the right to this lifestyle, it will and does bring substantial controversy to her and her family.
And this is real life, and not a tv show! Women today have opportunities that the females of Downton never had, and they have options to choose from. I would not deny Beatrice or any woman the right to choose her life and lifestyle. Controversy? The DM will continue to make snide remarks and to stir the stew, but the whole 'controversy' is a non-existent meme. She can and will do as she wishes, and no one really cares.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

My opinion on her holidaying:

Two of those said holidays don’t even count , they happened last year, a wedding and the other one was an official event in the Middl-east. The boxing day holiday one- They don’t even have a picture or someone tweeting about it, like her said Colorado vacation, no evidence. and her Athens lounge sighting seems more like an airplane stop, than a holiday as there is no evidence she went to Greece recently. Her Easter holiday again, no evidence. Not mention her so called recent Florida vacation, again no evidence. They keeping using old pictures for the made up vacations. Are we seriously going to believe the sun and the dailymail?

So, that would make a total of 5 vacations in reality. Even if she went on all 12, and plus some more vacations, she’s not founded by tax payers. Most likely the Bransons or her friends give her freebies and discounts anyways. Seems to me the press just likes throwing Bea under the bus.

and the rumors keep spinning supposedly princess beatrice accepted a job in NY and is looking for an apt in Manhattan. Don't know accurate this twitter mention is though.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
And this is real life, and not a tv show! Women today have opportunities that the females of Downton never had, and they have options to choose from. I would not deny Beatrice or any woman the right to choose her life and lifestyle. Controversy? The DM will continue to make snide remarks and to stir the stew, but the whole 'controversy' is a non-existent meme. She can and will do as she wishes, and no one really cares.
Unfortunately, it appears that equal opportunity does not apply if you are HRH Princess Beatrice of York. It seems she is to be bullied into exposing every facet of her private life to the ubiquitous 'they' who worship at the altar of the Daily Fail.

Not every woman is destined to be a corporate high flyer just because she has money or a title. In fact, I would go further and say that not every woman is able to do so.

Worse, not every woman wants to become a corporate high flyer, a mover and shaker, a financial whizz, etc. ad nauseum!

What if Beatrice wants, above all things, to be a wife and mother and spend her spare time in charitable works?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Courtier

It will be interesting to see if she has a job in NY and what the job is. New York is the financial centre many, many people who have spent years at Uni getting MBA's etc would kill for a job there and along comes Beatrice who supposedly did a 2 week course and get's a job in finance? Seriously people who have worked their butts off are not going to be happy. It is a very competitive area and she will be expected to work as hard as the others at least you expect so. Pretty sure it was revealed Beatrice quit the job in finance originally so why she would want another position in New York of all places seems a little weird. I just don't see Beatrice as a serious career woman she has done nothing really to support a real career in finance. That two week course is very iffy especially when you look at what the normal requirements for finance positions are. If she quits again and continues to take vacations she will once again cause a stir. She really shouldn't be able to take a break for a few months if she is starting a new position. Eugenie has made the tabloids a few times early on so I'm sure we will be seeing Beatrice. As for money and her holidays who really knows who pays for what she is only hurting herself people don't take her that seriously or respect her she has been painted with the same brush as her mother and her own behaviour is too blame. No one needs as many holidays as Beatrice has. She really shouldn't need one for at least a year but I have a feeling we will be seeing her again this summer!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Regarding this not being a TV show, I completely agree. I was obviously trying to suggest that the bygone days where this type behavior was accepted no longer applies.

At some point, people just care about the perception of Beatrice's situation and it will become more and more of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Unfortunately, it appears that equal opportunity does not apply if you are HRH Princess Beatrice of York. It seems she is to be bullied into exposing every facet of her private life to the ubiquitous 'they' who worship at the altar of the Daily Fail.

Not every woman is destined to be a corporate high flyer just because she has money or a title. In fact, I would go further and say that not every woman is able to do so.

Worse, not every woman wants to become a corporate high flyer, a mover and shaker, a financial whizz, etc. ad nauseum!

What if Beatrice wants, above all things, to be a wife and mother and spend her spare time in charitable works?

If that's what she wants, she absolutely has the right and ability to do so, and she has the ability to make that known. But she hasn't - and it's not like she's pouring her heart out into charity.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd just point out that someone is leaking social appearances to the press. If you are seeking privacy and go to a place to dine and there are a lot of paps there:
  1. The place is too hot/popular and staked out regularly Pick another restaurant - something that serves good food but is not a pap hang out.
  2. Someone you mentioned the occasion to dropped a dime. Figure out who it is and stop telling them stuff
  3. That place has an employee that is informing the paps (and getting paid for it). Quit going there.
She does have choices if she does want to appear in the tabs on a less regular basis. This is true for all famous people. Some people play up to the press and some learn to avoid it.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

The Daily Mail is reporting that HRH Princess Beatrice as accepted a job at a private equity firm in New York and is looking to secure an apartment.

Source: GIRL ABOUT TOWN: I told you! Bea's off to be a private equity Princess | Daily Mail Online

Princess Beatrice has been in a no win situation from the day she was born and anyone who says otherwise hasn't read the Daily Mail comments for this story. Now that she's gotten a job, she's being castigated for apparently leaping over more qualified applicants...but when she wasn't working she was castigated for being a layabout living off the public purse (which, as anyone who knows about the Sovereign Support Grant knows, is nonsense and she's never received public money).

I wish Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie such luck in New York and hope that they have fulfilling, lucrative careers. Now that neither lives full time in the UK the tabloids will have to turn to new scapegoats in the Royal Family.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Not sure how accurate the story is, as the writer doesn't appear to know that Dave has left Virgin for Uber.
Time will tell.

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice