The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I think any company or firm worth its salt who hires Beatrice will need to do so on her merits, capability and willingness to learn and not just her title and position - otherwise she will be bored to tears all day long! I wish her the best of luck!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

She has already done one finance course and worked with a finance house in London.

She may therefore have some skills and experience to see her earn a position.

I know that many people think she will only get her job on her name but I am more of the opinion that she has to have some skills and qualifications - and we know she has some from her earlier work.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She has already done one finance course and worked with a finance house in London.

She may therefore have some skills and experience to see her earn a position.

I know that many people think she will only get her job on her name but I am more of the opinion that she has to have some skills and qualifications - and we know she has some from her earlier work.
Exactly - what will they have her do if she was only to be employed because other name? She would have to have some qualification or experience or something other than a name to actually perform some meaningful function in company. Otherwise she would simply end up sitting at huge desk drinking coffee and looking as regal and elegant as ever wondering if there is more to life than this!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
^ Where will Beatrice do her finance studies? Is this an MBA in Finance or just finance courses? Good for her, hopefully she enjoys it and finds something she enjoys in her field of study.

I couldn't read the article, for some reason it was blocked.
According to this, which claims to be confirmed by BP, it is a short finance course, so I doubt we are talking MBA here.
Princess Beatrice starts finance course in US after holidays | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPolitics View Post
Along with those job offers, school could have been one of the options she was deciding on. Only on third threads would seeking an advanced degree be looked upon as a scheme or workshy.
It doesn't appear to be an advanced degree program (see above.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if going back to school is necessary requirement for a potential job. For example, if she wanted to do some type of finance job she might need to pass a Series 7 test.....which is no easy feat. Obtainable but you really need to study...
Not knowing what a series 7 exam was, I looked it up - Series 7 General Securities Representative Examination | Exam
is it necessary to take this exam to work in the finance field in the UK?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Not knowing what a series 7 exam was, I looked it up - Series 7 General Securities Representative Examination | Exam
is it necessary to take this exam to work in the finance field in the UK?
Sounds like a worthwhile qualification to have, and something of an achievement to obtain.

And she might find it very handy in her personal life, too. She would be in a position to provide some useful financial advice to her mother.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and her father!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

And her future husband? I'm confused. Won't be the first time.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Well at the moment we don't know that her future husband (assuming you mean Dave, and assuming he is her future husband) needs financial advice. Her parents, on the other hand .......
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

She won't be a big attraction here, financially. She will be a very small attraction by virtue of her status. Most people in this country have no idea who she is or could care less. She needs credentials.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She won't be a big attraction here, financially. She will be a very small attraction by virtue of her status. Most people in this country have no idea who she is or could care less. She needs credentials.
Have to agree. She will have to make it on her own, and that may be the lure and attraction (and excitement - perhaps Eugenie glowed with appreciation about her US/NYC experience).

People will be politely enthused regarding her genealogy, and embarrassed for her if she carries it like a chip on her shoulder, because in serious matters it's what you know and what you can deliver. No one will be impressed if she plays the princess.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Serene Highness

It's not unduly hard to study for and pass a Series 7 licensing exam, or any of several others. What is difficult is to convince people that you are wise and knowledgeable enough to make good recommendations about their money. There is a steep climb from passing a test to the point where your opinions and services are in demand. Many young people either wash out rapidly or become bored and discouraged while trying to make a decent living in these fields. Having seen my husband go through those early years in financial sales, I can barely imagine Beatrice being both 'hungry' enough and diligent enough to become highly successful. I still think her role in the industry might be a more decorative one than a purely labor-intensive one. Does she play golf?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
It's not unduly hard to study for and pass a Series 7 licensing exam, or any of several others. What is difficult is to convince people that you are wise and knowledgeable enough to make good recommendations about their money. There is a steep climb from passing a test to the point where your opinions and services are in demand. Many young people either wash out rapidly or become bored and discouraged while trying to make a decent living in these fields. Having seen my husband go through those early years in financial sales, I can barely imagine Beatrice being both 'hungry' enough and diligent enough to become highly successful.
You make a valid point here. Most careers require struggle and commitment over the long haul.

Quote:
I still think her role in the industry might be a more decorative one than a purely labor-intensive one.
You may be right. Or she may be just 'playing' with 'this and that'. It's an excuse to be in the US for a while. Meet new people, have new experiences. She has the luxury to be a dilettante, after all.

Quote:
Does she play golf?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 AM
Serene Highness

Life is hard for many. It needn't be for Beatrice. I personally have no misgivings about a young person who can enjoy a life of luxury and privilege, doing so. She may find herself criticized for her choices, but if there's no need (or desire on her part) to work long hours, worrying about the future, laboring in an uninteresting job, then why the heck should she? Eugenie has been fortunate to find a career which is both interesting and glamorous. I hope Beatrice can do likewise- if that's what she wants.

It's very unlikely that she will achieve a high-flying career in the big financial world.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, March 4, Beatrice attended the We Day UK charity dinner in London. Today she attended the We Day UK at the Wembley Arena. We Day "celebrates the potential of young people to implement local and global changes".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** tatler.com gallery: We Day UK dinner ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Princess Beatrice supports close friend Holly Branson as she gives speech at charity dinner.. **
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Yesterday, March 4, Beatrice attended the We Day UK charity dinner in London. Today she attended the We Day UK at the Wembley Arena. We Day "celebrates the potential of young people to implement local and global changes".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** tatler.com gallery: We Day UK dinner ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Princess Beatrice supports close friend Holly Branson as she gives speech at charity dinner.. **
I always like to see Princess Beatrice doing charitable functions (and remain of the view these should be included in the court circular), but hasn't she only just gone to New York to do some financial studies?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Seems the York Princesses don't mind the long flights..

Beatrice's day ended with an evening at Chiltern Firehouse yesterday, March 5:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsterlaird View Post
I always like to see Princess Beatrice doing charitable functions (and remain of the view these should be included in the court circular), but hasn't she only just gone to New York to do some financial studies?
These are private engagements, not ones where the Crown is represented. They will, therefore, not be included in the CC.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why should any other royal who attends a charity event then have that listed in the CC?

The best example to me of this occurred in 2012.

On one day Kate presented medals at the Paralympic Games - listed in the CC.

Next day Eugenie did the same thing - not listed in the CC.

Why was it an official engagement for Kate but not for Eugenie?

Why is it when Anne attends a charity dinner it is listed in the CC but not when Beatrice does the same thing?

Why is it when Harry greets people linked to one of his charities it is in the CC but when Beatrice does that it isn't?

The Crown isn't always represented when things are listed in the CC. Often the event is simply described as xxxx attended a dinner for yyy charity.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

It looks contradictory to me. It is as though some royal membersare favoured and others not
Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

From royal.gov: "The Queen decides which members of her family are accorded the status of members of the Royal Family and also, from time to time, approves their precedence." from http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo.../Overview.aspx

That is a fairly strong statement. It is next to a listing of "The Current Royal Family" which does not include Bea and Eugenie. It includes 16 people (The Prince Michaels listed as one). Go and look at it if you are curious.

Then in the body of of the Precedence statement comes this comment which re-muddles the water: "Generally speaking, the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of a Sovereign, as well as their spouses, are members of the Royal Family. First cousins of the monarch may also be included. Children are included on coming of age or after they have completed their education. " So there appears to be a working RF and a general RF.

I think the CC listing comes down to:
  • You are asked by the Queen's schedulers to do something that the Royal Family has been asked and agreed to do. (listed)
  • You do something by invitation in general. (not listed)
So, if the Queen asks Bea to attend a banquet and stand as a "member of the Royal Family" - she would get a CC listing. Ditto if she were asked to hand out a medal that was scheduled through the RF event office.

But if Bea were invited to a state dinner, in the same way other interesting, famous people are invited to a state dinner - no CC listing, no official role. Or if Bea wanted to (I would) and volunteered to hand out a medal (as for other famous, interesting people), no CC listing. I'd also guess these latter appearances are not cleared through the Queen's office.

But the larger point is that the 16 people listed as members of the RF are the people who are asked to act officially as working members of the RF at events. There may be rare exceptions -but they are rare indeed.

I do find it interesting that the Precedence page on Royal.gov carries a banner photo including Bea, Eugenie, Andrew, Wills, The Queen and Phillip and the top of Charles's head. This is on the very page that makes somewhat clear that Bea and Eugenie are not members of the working "Royal Family." That same picture is used on the Succession page - in which Bea and Eugenie have a more prominent role.

Tags
princess beatrice