The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Administrator

On February 7 Beatrice attended the Pre-BAFTA VIP Brunch at Chiltern Firehouse in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Beatrice is on holiday again | Daily Mail Online

This.

Looks bad.

At least that ski chalet is getting good use already.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it does. I hope that if Beatrice does have a new job offer that she accepts it very soon.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, I think that if Beatrice and Eugenie, as private citizens, can afford not to work and they're not part and parcel of the working British royal family Firm, they should do whatever they want to do. Its a big world out there and they've got the youth and the means to do whatever they want.

Both of the girls do seem have their own charitable interests, have steady romantic interests with possibly marriage and family in the future and have been known to try working in various fields, I would be hard pressed to call either of these young ladies "party princesses". They seem pretty well balanced to me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's an old article:Prince Andrew STILL insists on helicopters and guards for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie | Daily Mail Online
I can't answer for its truthfulness, but let's say it wouldn't surprise me.

As for Beatrice's work ethic, she does seem to be 'off' more than she's 'on.'
I don't think many her age could take off that much time and still be in demand.
Quote:

This. Looks bad.
Yes your helicopter and guards article is three and a half years old . . . positively ancient in tabloid terms, and if you have utmost faith in a tabloid reporter's view, then and now, more fool you.

As to the second article about Beatrice being on holiday again, anyone with half a brain knows what to do with a rag that refers to Princess Beatrice a "Benefit Scrounger"!

The only thing that it looking bad is the credulity of the reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
What is with this obsession people have with Beatrice's job? I remember this was done to Catherine.
I think they gave up after the wedding and changed it to royal engagements and then got cut off at the pass by a royal pregnancy. So she's safe for now. So it looks like Beatrice's only out is a wedding and a pregnancy or maybe just a pregnancy . . .
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
This looks bad. At least that ski chalet is getting good use already.
Might not be as bad as it looks. People do have 3 and 4 day weekends. But even with just a 2 day weekend these holiday places are not that far away from the UK. A short hop on a Friday night and they can be there in a morning and still have 2 solid days of snow play. Just saying.

Quote:
It's an old article:Prince Andrew STILL insists on helicopters and guards for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie | Daily Mail Online
I can't answer for its truthfulness, but let's say it wouldn't surprise me.

As for Beatrice's work ethic, she does seem to be 'off' more than she's 'on.'
I don't think many her age could take off that much time and still be in demand.
Well, fathers want the best for their children, especially their beloved daughters. I can understand it.

Bottom line about 'taking time off', these girls are from a wealthy family, and the 'rules of work' do not apply. Just don't. They have the luxury of being able to pick and choose. That we all had such.

They also have royal connections which makes them tabloid fodder and (as is being proven here) the topic of space-filler articles, usually trying to foment some element of animus, discontent, whatever. JMO.

I guess you can intuit my bias (I don't have a dog in this fight) but I do see your points and think you should be able to voice them and be respectfully heard.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Serene Highness

B and E should move out of St James Palace, drop their titles and privately fund any security they feel they need. Then no one could say anything about their idle lifestyle.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
B and E should move out of St James Palace, drop their titles and privately fund any security they feel they need. Then no one could say anything about their idle lifestyle.
If I'm not mistaken, Andrew pays out of his own private funds the rent at St. James Palace along with footing the bill for their security. No part of Beatrice's or Eugenie's lifestyle is provided by taxpayer's monies whatsoever.

There is no reason for the girls to drop their titles. It is theirs by the circumstances of their birth as princesses of the blood royal.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It is theirs by the circumstances of their birth as princesses of the blood royal.
Here,here...
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

To be honest, I couldn't care less whether the York girls actually work or not. What I find annoying is the praise they get for working, when imo Beatrice at least does nothing of the sort. But she is praised while Kate is criticized (and yes, I do think much of the difference comes down to class snobbery).
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

Beatrice is a private citizen. Kate is not. Kate is expected to work for the RF. Beatrice does charity work but mostly it is not listed in the CC.

Kate live in a 20000 square foot townhome. Beatrice lives in an apartment.

It is not about class snobbery. It is about the Cambridges receiving the very large KP townhome with private garden and in exchange royal engagements are expected in lieu of rent.

Also KP was remodeled and decorated using a considerable amount of money.

One is 33, the other is 26.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
?..

It is not about class snobbery. It is about the Cambridges receiving the very large KP townhome with private garden and in exchange royal engagements are expected in lieu of rent.

I don't quite understand why every time comments are made about Beatrice someone compares her to the Cambridges - to me it's apples and oranges. But if we must compare I think it's important that all facts are mentioned including the fact that Beatrice's 4 bedroom SJ Palace apartment was renovated for her (and Eugenie's) use in 2008 at a cost of 250,000 pounds, which included a new kitchen and new wood floors in the 2 reception rooms - paid for in the same way as the renovation to the Cambridge's KP apartment.
Prince Andrew started paying 30,000 pounds per annum in rent for the SJ apartment, allegedly about a quarter of market value, a couple of years after Beatrice moved in.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

All of the information about the size and cost of renovation for both the Yorks and Cambridges is hearsay. No figures have ever been published. So competing arguments seem to have no foundation.

REnovation of the residential aspects of KP and the whole of St James Palace are HMQ's responsibility regardless of who is living in it.

Taking on board what the Select Committee said re maintenance, it would appear that the Royal Household has undertaken it in the past on a "needs must" basis. This means that when someone needs somewhere to live or work in the Palaces, then that is when the work is done. So it's about needing the works to be done.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Beatrice is a private citizen. Kate is not. Kate is expected to work for the RF. Beatrice does charity work but mostly it is not listed in the CC.

Catherine didn't receive apartment 1a, William did. If the Cambridges were to divorce tomorrow Catherine would probably be packed off to Anmer Hall(a private residence). In the BRF she only exists as an extension of William. Same with Camilla and Charles.BTW, all remodeling costs and decoration fees were paid for privately. The government only paid for the structural repairs and the safety updates. The government would have paid the same for Beatrice and Eugenie's apartments.

I think Mirabel was comparing pre-2011 Catherine to Beatrice. And she's right class snobbery was a huge issue. Women who want to be housewives aren't attacked if they're from the upper echelons of society. If Beatrice were to marry Dave and become a society wife, nobody would blink. If Pippa were to marry Nico and become a society wife, she would receive a lot of flak from the media.

In regards to this ski vacation, I saw someone on Twitter saying that Beatrice was taking the "piste" out of the media. Made me laugh.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

Its important to remember that the apartment Beatrice moved into has been occupied by someone else before her and work on it was said to have been long overdue. In addition any extras Beatrice herself wanted were paid for by the Queen or her father so the taxpayers only paid for the same finish they would if it was going to be used by someone else.
Palace officials spent £250,000 renovating Princess Beatrice apartment - Telegraph
At the end of the day renovating a hundreds year old palace is going to cost more than a normal apartment and I'd rather the money was spent than not spent at the Palace fell into disrepair, look now at how a lack of spending and investment across the Royal estate has led to a number of royal properties being listed as 'at risk'. Either allow money to be invested in upkeep or let these historical palaces fall into disrepair.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
. The government only paid for the structural repairs and the safety updates. The government would have paid the same for Beatrice and Eugenie's apartments.

the Government didnt pay for any of it directly. This is an important point. theQueen receives annual funding. As well as paying for her costs as Head of State SHE isresponsible for paying for maintenance and reburbishment of royal palaces. How she spends that £ is up to her but ahe has to find it out of her annual funding. no extras from Government

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

This.

Looks bad.

Well she doesn't have a job--she's deciding on her next move in her career.

Seems as good a time as ever to travel.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts discussing the wealth of royals other than Beatrice have been moved to the Royal Wealth and Finances thread. Continue that discussion there please, to ensure this thread stays on topic.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:

I wish people would lay off with the 'work-shy' Cambridge snark on every thread in this forum. It's beyond tired. That said I'm with those who feel that Beatrice is doing nothing particularly wrong. She has no obligation to the public in terms of patronages and engagements,as far as I understand, yet she does charity work and has patronages.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I wish people would lay off with the 'work-shy' Cambridge snark on every thread in this forum. It's beyond tired. That said I'm with those who feel that Beatrice is doing nothing particularly wrong. She has no obligation to the public in terms of patronages and engagements,as far as I understand, yet she does charity work and has patronages.

Exactly! The York bashing must stop. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice