The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Royal Highness

While I agree it's nobody's business the Yorks do take a lot of holidays at very expensive places.
If they don't work either they are going to get bad press.
How they get the money to have such a lifestyle isn't for us to know but does make people wonder.
But if Granny wants pay that's fair enough but might be different with Uncle Charles.
Might be wise to plan ahead, get a job, save hard, buy a house etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Courtier

The girls both have trusts, Dave has a good job and comes from a wealthy family, Beatrice sortof works it does seem she takes way more holidays then most but she can afford it. She lives in St James Palace and doesn't pay rent her father does at a much cheaper price then most would have to pay. So she can afford to go to these exotic locations and like her parents she probably get's some of these as freebies or for cheap. It's funny you don't see Eugenie having all these holidays that Beatrice does she just had a couple of weeks off over Christmas and went skiing etc. It's a lot of leave for someone who has been in a job what 12 months or less?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
The girls both have trusts, Dave has a good job and comes from a wealthy family, Beatrice sortof works it does seem she takes way more holidays then most but she can afford it. She lives in St James Palace and doesn't pay rent her father does at a much cheaper price then most would have to pay. So she can afford to go to these exotic locations and like her parents she probably get's some of these as freebies or for cheap. It's funny you don't see Eugenie having all these holidays that Beatrice does she just had a couple of weeks off over Christmas and went skiing etc. It's a lot of leave for someone who has been in a job what 12 months or less?

When Andrew and Sarah bought the ski lodge it was said it was for the girls future. So they must have some concerns about their daughters financial future so encouraging them to have a career and provide for them selfs would be a good idea. I don't want to see them flogging juicers on American TV like their mother

Old 01-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
We have already had this discussion about the holidays etc for the British. There is even a thread where the differences between different countries is discussed. There were also earlier posts in this thread about Beatrice and her leave entitlements. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...rld-38005.html
Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Courtier

I frequently see references to these alleged trusts usually with suggestions that the Queen mother set them up for all of her great grandchildren. But in Mike Tindall's interview the other day he said that he and Zara had to pay their own way, so I'm not convinced the girls received trusts from their GGM. I did read that trusts were set up for the girls as part of their parent's divorce settlement - but those weren't very large. Of course Dave needs to socialize with the very wealthy to sell them very expensive space travel, so perhaps Branson pays for some of these jaunts as a business expense.
It will be interesting to see how Uncle Charles handles the Yorks' finances once the Duchy of Lancaster income is his.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Regardless if the Queen Mother left her great grandchildren [specifically the York Princesses] any money, I would think that she did leave her grandson [in this case Andrew] some money, and he [and/or The Queen] is financing their lifestyle. I also wouldn't be surprised if the any monies left by the Queen Mother to Beatrice and Eugenie were in a trust, and they are using any interest and cant touch the principal. I think Mike was making a general comment [regarding the expense of Zara's profession] as they do support themselves, but they are not struggling like the average joe to pay the bills. I would think that the Queen will take care of her grandchildren when the time comes. But again, I am thinking trusts where they live off the principal with a nice little prenup for just in case. Her grandchildren will be well off but their children [Mia, Savannah, Isla, etc.] will have to work.

In addition, the rich don't travel like the rest of us. They tend to travel with other rich friends [on their yacht, at their luxury home, etc] so they probably don't spend that much. They spend a week or two at Friend A's house, and than they move on to the next place of Friend B's. Much like the old days of Edward VII, who would frequent the homes of other rich people.

IMO this is just another case of Beatrice can't win. When she had a regular job people complained that she took the job/internship of someone who really needs it...when she doesn't work people tell her to get a job. If she decided to stay in the movie business, whose to say that she isn't between gigs. Either way, someone is going to complain.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Beatrice and Dave were in St. Barts for New Year's Eve, have they gone there twice in a month? Or have they been there for 4 weeks? Either way, lucky them!

Well, I guess I was right about her going to St. Barts twice in a month. Ha!

That Sun article is some sexist b.s. though. Prince Harry went on more holidays than Beatrice last year. In fact, Harry was his family's most prolific globetrotter last year but they attack Beatrice instead, even though she is basically a private citizen unlike Harry.

If the Sun wanted to be fair they should be reporting this list.

Harry's Holiday Spree

jan- skiing in Alps
feb - hunting in Spain
march- skiing in Kazakhstan
april- holiday safari in Africa
may- party in Miami/ Memphis
june- party in slovakia
aug- 1. holiday in Sotogrande, Spain with the Yorks
2. Yachting with Ben Goldsmith
sept- party in Italy
oct- holiday safari in Africa
nov- Abu dubai partying, yachting

Not to mention all his domestic holidays to friends estates and party festivals. Beatrice has been given the shaft by the sexist tabloids!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
One of the pictures includes "pucker businessman" in the caption. Does anyone know what "pucker" means in that context?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
One of the pictures includes "pucker businessman" in the caption. Does anyone know what "pucker" means in that context?
It's a slang word meaning genuine or good-quality as in "you can trust him, he's pucker".
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's a slang word meaning genuine or good-quality as in "you can trust him, he's pucker".
but it should be spelled "pukka" - one of the many Indian words in general use in English.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I frequently see references to these alleged trusts usually with suggestions that the Queen mother set them up for all of her great grandchildren. But in Mike Tindall's interview the other day he said that he and Zara had to pay their own way, so I'm not convinced the girls received trusts from their GGM. I did read that trusts were set up for the girls as part of their parent's divorce settlement - but those weren't very large. Of course Dave needs to socialize with the very wealthy to sell them very expensive space travel, so perhaps Branson pays for some of these jaunts as a business expense.
It will be interesting to see how Uncle Charles handles the Yorks' finances once the Duchy of Lancaster income is his.
Ok, I did my own research - here's what the BBC was writing the year the Queen mother died:
BBC News | UK | Queen inherits Queen Mother's estate
In 1994 she set aside 2/3s of 19 million pounds (or around 12.5 million pounds) to be divided amongst her 8 great grandchildren, which would work out to about 1.5 million pounds each. This article
The gamble that foiled the taxman | UK news | The Guardian
reports that William and Harry were to split 6 million at age 21 - presumably the higher number due to the trusts having increased since their 1994 founding, and then more at age 40.
So if both York girls had the same set up then they had access to part of the principal at age 21.
And here is an article referencing the 1996 divorce settlement where the Queen put 1.4 million pounds (or .7 million pounds each) into trusts for the York girls.
Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth £3 million - Telegraph
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

"Pukka" is a word you'll often come across in novels about British India, or movies based on those novels, and usually used in conjunction with "sahib".

The Wikipedia definition accords with my understanding of the words: "Pukka sahib is a slang term taken from Hindi words for "Absolute" ("first class", absolutely genuine" for English users) and "master", but meaning "true gentleman or "excellent fellow". Used in the British Empire to describe Europeans; more usually to describe an attitude which British administrators affected, that of an "aloof, impartial, incorruptible arbiter of the political fate of a large part of the earth's surface".

The word "pukka" is still used formally in 19th- and 21st-century English and Greek to describe something as "first class" or "absolutely genuine". As a slang term, it is often used by British service-people."

It's a compliment.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Beatrice under attack for jet set lifestyle | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 AM
Royal Highness

I know she can do what she wants etc etc. but with everything going on with her father why make waves.
Any article about her well bring Andrews name up again
She does look like a spoiled princess , mightn't be the case but that impression I'm left with

Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think it's about being spoiled; I think Beatrice rather be out of London and away from the headlines at this time. Dave and her friends are keeping her busy with relaxed vacations and fun.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 AM
Royal Highness

She doesn't have to stay in London but somewhere in the UK would be a better look if she really needs that many holidays.
Once again to me it's a spoiled , work shy look

Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

However she should be settling into her career. Since leaving university she has had a few internships, one job for 6 months and another internship for 11 months. She has a degree in History and History of Ideas but hasn't followed that 'interest' in her job choices. She is turning into a wastrel who really is just a party girl. She dabbles in work until she needs some holiday time and then she quits it seems. She quit the finance job just before the start of the summer 'season' in 2013 and then she quits Sony in December 2014 and spends January on holidays rather than trying to find another job. She is already seen as a low level royal and hanger on but her lack of job consistency will only see her more and more despised by the British public.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be surprised if she's just decided she might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

I think all this criticism is jolly unfair to her. She's done nothing wrong, simply had the misfortune to be born the daughter of Randy Andy and Sarah Ferguson.

So she's been on holiday for a month! So what?! I say, lucky her!

ETA That was not a response to Bertie's post; it crossed with mine. I agree she should be getting a serious job, but if this last month's holidaying is the worst thing she's done, and it seems to be, it's not a big deal.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:00 AM
Royal Highness

For the average person a week or two at the beach is as good as it gets.
Then you have a Princess who can slip off wherever whenever and doesn't need to work. She doesn't do much in the way of helping others in the community and doesn't do volunteer work.
Equals spoiled young lady

Old 01-31-2015, 02:30 AM
Serene Highness

Spoiled brings to mind a rather unpleasant ungrateful selfish person and we have no evidence whatsoever Beatrice is that just the opposite in fact.I would use the terms indulged and sheltered and maybe a hair complacent instead.

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice