The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What job would you like to see her do/get?

I have a degree, and I'm currently doing a job not related to my degree in anyway because I need the money to get the qualifications to do a job related to my degree. You'll find that most people do not get a job relating to their degree straight out of uni, it's quite hard.

I started my job in May 2014 and I got 25 days holiday between May and December 2014. If this is the case with Beatrice and she's working a 5 day out of 7 contract as most do, that's 5 weeks holiday she could have used in a row. However if you're wise you split it to encompass days off so you have longer. That's an average and covers half a year. Maybe someone from America could explain the holiday policy as I might have got it wrong or something maybe majorly different.
What is also added to UK holiday entitlement are "Bank Holidays" - which are 8 in total. Not sure if Lumutqueen's figures include those or not.

When I left employment a few yrs ago to work for myself I had a total of 30 days paid leave plus 8 Bank holidays.

Compared to US, UK is generous.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy

25 holidays between May and December?? Were they paid holidays? I know of no where in the US that has that kind of paid time off. If there is, let me know, I'd be interested!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

From what I have read and heard from many people in the US they are way less generous with paid leave time that Europe or Australia.

I couldn't imagine anywhere in the US where staff get paid MORE when on holidays then when they work but we do here in Australia as we receive a 17.5% leave loading - or 17.5% more than our regular pay during our four week annual leave. This was introduced many years ago to compensate shift workers so that they wouldn't be out of pocket when going on leave but it was spread to many other jobs as well.

Another 'leave' that we can earn here is Long Service Leave - that is paid leave after continued employment with the same firm e.g. I have been with my current employer for 24 years and have taken 22 weeks LSL and have another 16 saved up for use at some time in the future - so in another 10 years (when I plan on retiring) if I don't use any more I will retire and get paid for another 6 months on full pay before needing to take any form of pension.

My point is that you can't compare one country's leave entitlements to another's as each country is different.

What Beatrice is entitled to in the UK would, no doubt, be different to anywhere in the US.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Born to the wrong set of parents, methinks.

I believe companies in the USA are far less generous with vacation time. Teachers, of course, get school breaks and summers off, but new employees in professional jobs in government and the private sector typically get 10 days (2 weeks.) Interns and many lower paid workers don't earn vacation time at all. Personally I think the USA should follow other country's models and allow more paid vacation.

And methinks (I love that saying BTW) that we have a winner here Folks.

Sad too, as I've always had the impression both York Princesses have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Truly a shame both keep getting nailed by the Press, and others as well, simply because of who their Parents are and their past "adventures".

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-16-2015, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What is also added to UK holiday entitlement are "Bank Holidays" - which are 8 in total. Not sure if Lumutqueen's figures include those or not.

When I left employment a few yrs ago to work for myself I had a total of 30 days paid leave plus 8 Bank holidays.

Compared to US, UK is generous.
It didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
25 holidays between May and December?? Were they paid holidays? I know of no where in the US that has that kind of paid time off. If there is, let me know, I'd be interested!

And yes they were.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

In the UK a full time worker is entitled to just over 5 weeks holiday (5.6 weeks), depending on the company this may or may not include Bank Holidays of which there are 8 each year.
Given that Beatrice has been seen on holidays in relatively close European destinations she could IMO easily have taken these in the same way most people would and without needing any special treatment.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Please note that several posts regarding vacation times and how they vary from country to country have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...rld-38005.html .

A couple of the posts have been copied [i.e. references to British work holidays and how these official holidays impact Beatrice's vacations] and will appear in both threads.

Please continue the general discussion in the new thread.

Zonk

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another Royal Wedding? Princess Beatrice 'engaged' to long term boyfriend-
Another Royal Wedding? Princess Beatrice 'engaged' to long term boyfriend - Independent.ie

Princess Beatrice Is Not Engaged, According to Friends-
Princess Beatrice Is Not Engaged, According to Friends | Vanity Fair

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Independent.ie mentions "that an announcement will be made in the spring".
If Beatrice and David are engaged, would not Beatrice want to wear her engagement ring?
What is a Princess to do? Does she have to hide her engagement ring in the attic?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Beatrice relaxes in St Barts days after Prince Andrew denies sex claims-
Princess Beatrice relaxes in St Barts days after Prince Andrew denies sex claims | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe she and David are waiting with official announcing of their engagement till the time after christening of 2nd baby of William & Kate?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Maybe she and David are waiting with official announcing of their engagement till the time after christening of 2nd baby of William & Kate?
That's an interesting thought.

I've always thought that either one of Beatrice and Dave/Eugenie and Jack would announce an engagement soon, but I'm starting to doubt Beatrice and Dave after some articles have said they're not engaged. Of course I don't know for sure; but perhaps they would prefer not to get married - I know a few couples who have known each other for a long while and have children but are not married, and they're very happy. However I don't think this will happen in the BRF.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Princess Beatrice relaxes in St Barts days after Prince Andrew denies sex claims-
Princess Beatrice relaxes in St Barts days after Prince Andrew denies sex claims | Royal | News | Daily Express
Beatrice and Dave were in St. Barts for New Year's Eve, have they gone there twice in a month? Or have they been there for 4 weeks? Either way, lucky them!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Nobility

The Sun have given Beatrice their front page tomorrow - "Her Royal Work Shyness". Oh what a horrible start to 2015 for the family.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-getaway.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Sorry double post
Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
The Sun have given Beatrice their front page tomorrow - "Her Royal Work Shyness". Oh what a horrible start to 2015 for the family.
Never mind the family, this is a nasty bullying attack on someone who takes no public money. British tabloid paper at its worst.

I understand an attack on Andrew (public figure who represents UK on a regular basis) but this is unwarranted.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Its unfair because as you say, Beatrice receives no public money nor represents the country officially. However her father does and with all the media attention around him I'm not surprised a headline like the Sun's has come out.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Never mind the family, this is a nasty bullying attack on someone who takes no public money. British tabloid paper at its worst.

I understand an attack on Andrew (public figure who represents UK on a regular basis) but this is unwarranted.
I agree with you, but we can't expect anything else from the sun.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...431872/photo/1

On sky news press preview tonight they criticized Beatrix because she did not represent the royal family, she lives in large palaces, and that she has security around the clock.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Beatrice gets her security paid for by her father in the last few years. So does her sister. As Andrew's money comes from the Queen I suppose the Press feel they have a point there.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Beatrice gets her security paid for by her father in the last few years. So does her sister. As Andrew's money comes from the Queen I suppose the Press feel they have a point there.
The money that Andrew receives from the sovereign grant goes to cover his official duties. The security of Beatrix and her sister are either paid by private money or the Duchy of Lancaster.

Tags
princess beatrice