Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame her. I'd come over too if I were in her shoes.

According to both articles a spokesperson for her mother confirms this.
What's odd to me is that when she most recently quit her job 'sources' claimed she had at least a couple of offers she was considering - if so then why this sudden scooting off to the USA to go back to school. I do hope she's not being groomed to join her mother's latest scheme.
I feel a bit sorry for Eugenie, she seemed to be blossoming as an independent career woman, forging her own identity and now her mom is over frequently with her latest scheme and now Beatrice may be coming over as well.

According to both articles a spokesperson for her mother confirms this.

What's odd to me is that when she most recently quit her job 'sources' claimed she had at least a couple of offers she was considering - if so then why this sudden scooting off to the USA to go back to school. I do hope she's not being groomed to join her mother's latest scheme.

I feel a bit sorry for Eugenie, she seemed to be blossoming as an independent career woman, forging her own identity and now her mom is over frequently with her latest scheme and now Beatrice may be coming over as well.

Along with those job offers, school could have been one of the options she was deciding on. Only on third threads would seeking an advanced degree be looked upon as a scheme or workshy.

The article suggesting that she had job offers didn't say they were in the UK though.

I have been expecting this for years. It is clear that the girls aren't wanted in the BRF as working royals so any media coverage was always going to be negative in the UK. William and Harry were always going to get passes for doing very little, along with their wives, but Beatrice and Eugenie were always going to be seen as 'fair game' by the British media.

With them in the US then the media will have to find some other royals to paint as the bad 'one' to offset the good 'one'.

It wouldn't surprise me if going back to school is necessary requirement for a potential job. For example, if she wanted to do some type of finance job she might need to pass a Series 7 test.....which is no easy feat. Obtainable but you really need to study.

Hopefully getting out of Britain will be a good move for her. A small but somewhat vocal faction of the British public really has no idea on her role. She gets criticized when she works....she is taking someone else's job....when she doesn't work.....is accused of being supported by the public...the security, etc. When Eugenie was in England recently, she was criticized for always being in England...as if people didn't come home for the holidays....they really can't win.

She really doesn't need to work for a living...and she has no official royal role...This is good news for Beatrice:ROFLMAO: New York is a big enough city where she can just fade into the masses.

Beatrice may have job offers that require classes or a degree within 6-9 months of hiring.

It is nice the family is keeping quiet on where she is going to school so the media can stay away and give her time to adjust.

It is delightful that Princess Beatrice will be in the same city as Princess Eugenie.
It is helpful to know that a family member is nearby for support.
It is nice to know that a family member is nearby for a sisterly visit.​

Some big firms hire well-known people (retired or defeated politicians, for example) to serve as 'rainmaker', able to attract people and get their phone calls returned. When the people respond to the rainmaker, they are generally handed off to a person who actually knows what he/she is doing. It's an honorable position, and I think Beatrice would be well-suited to such work. Of course, she would require some study, and perhaps some licensing, to enable her to be fluid and confidence-inspiring.

Some big firms hire well-known people (retired or defeated politicians, for example) to serve as 'rainmaker', able to attract people and get their phone calls returned. When the people respond to the rainmaker, they are generally handed off to a person who actually knows what he/she is doing. It's an honorable position, and I think Beatrice would be well-suited to such work. Of course, she would require some study, and perhaps some licensing, to enable her to be fluid and confidence-inspiring.

Right now, I don't think she can attract dust. These are savvy market people, she is not a "rainmaker". But, on other other hand, I think she will fare much better here. No one cares who you are. Just do your job.

Perhaps rainmaker was the wrong term. But people will come to events with a real live princess, so she'll attract a certain amount of attention. Not every person who has a fair bit of money to invest is savvy and sophisticated. At any rate, it will take a number of years of training and experience for Beatrice to have anything to offer, unless she sells simple insurance or retirement products, and that doesn't seem likely.

There are thousands of clever and well-educated young people who have earned their places on the career ladders of these big financial firms.

She's there to be a show pony (IMO). Nothing wrong with that.

I do have considerable first-hand knowledge of the NY financial world.

Last edited:
I think any company or firm worth its salt who hires Beatrice will need to do so on her merits, capability and willingness to learn and not just her title and position - otherwise she will be bored to tears all day long! I wish her the best of luck!

She has already done one finance course and worked with a finance house in London.

She may therefore have some skills and experience to see her earn a position.

I know that many people think she will only get her job on her name but I am more of the opinion that she has to have some skills and qualifications - and we know she has some from her earlier work.

She has already done one finance course and worked with a finance house in London.

She may therefore have some skills and experience to see her earn a position.

I know that many people think she will only get her job on her name but I am more of the opinion that she has to have some skills and qualifications - and we know she has some from her earlier work.

Exactly - what will they have her do if she was only to be employed because other name? She would have to have some qualification or experience or something other than a name to actually perform some meaningful function in company. Otherwise she would simply end up sitting at huge desk drinking coffee and looking as regal and elegant as ever wondering if there is more to life than this!

^ Where will Beatrice do her finance studies? Is this an MBA in Finance or just finance courses? Good for her, hopefully she enjoys it and finds something she enjoys in her field of study.

I couldn't read the article, for some reason it was blocked.
According to this, which claims to be confirmed by BP, it is a short finance course, so I doubt we are talking MBA here.
Princess Beatrice starts finance course in US after holidays | Royal | News | Daily Express

Along with those job offers, school could have been one of the options she was deciding on. Only on third threads would seeking an advanced degree be looked upon as a scheme or workshy.
It doesn't appear to be an advanced degree program (see above.)

It wouldn't surprise me if going back to school is necessary requirement for a potential job. For example, if she wanted to do some type of finance job she might need to pass a Series 7 test.....which is no easy feat. Obtainable but you really need to study...
Not knowing what a series 7 exam was, I looked it up - Series 7 General Securities Representative Examination | Exam
is it necessary to take this exam to work in the finance field in the UK?

Not knowing what a series 7 exam was, I looked it up - Series 7 General Securities Representative Examination | Exam
is it necessary to take this exam to work in the finance field in the UK?

Sounds like a worthwhile qualification to have, and something of an achievement to obtain.

And she might find it very handy in her personal life, too. She would be in a position to provide some useful financial advice to her mother. :whistling:

And her future husband? :huh: I'm confused. Won't be the first time. ;)

:previous: Well at the moment we don't know that her future husband (assuming you mean Dave, and assuming he is her future husband) needs financial advice. Her parents, on the other hand ....... :whistling:

She won't be a big attraction here, financially. She will be a very small attraction by virtue of her status. Most people in this country have no idea who she is or could care less. She needs credentials.

She won't be a big attraction here, financially. She will be a very small attraction by virtue of her status. Most people in this country have no idea who she is or could care less. She needs credentials.

Have to agree. :flowers: She will have to make it on her own, and that may be the lure and attraction (and excitement - perhaps Eugenie glowed with appreciation about her US/NYC experience).

People will be politely enthused regarding her genealogy, and embarrassed for her if she carries it like a chip on her shoulder, because in serious matters it's what you know and what you can deliver. No one will be impressed if she plays the princess.

Last edited:
It's not unduly hard to study for and pass a Series 7 licensing exam, or any of several others. What is difficult is to convince people that you are wise and knowledgeable enough to make good recommendations about their money. There is a steep climb from passing a test to the point where your opinions and services are in demand. Many young people either wash out rapidly or become bored and discouraged while trying to make a decent living in these fields. Having seen my husband go through those early years in financial sales, I can barely imagine Beatrice being both 'hungry' enough and diligent enough to become highly successful. I still think her role in the industry might be a more decorative one than a purely labor-intensive one. Does she play golf?

It's not unduly hard to study for and pass a Series 7 licensing exam, or any of several others. What is difficult is to convince people that you are wise and knowledgeable enough to make good recommendations about their money. There is a steep climb from passing a test to the point where your opinions and services are in demand. Many young people either wash out rapidly or become bored and discouraged while trying to make a decent living in these fields. Having seen my husband go through those early years in financial sales, I can barely imagine Beatrice being both 'hungry' enough and diligent enough to become highly successful.

You make a valid point here. :flowers: Most careers require struggle and commitment over the long haul.

I still think her role in the industry might be a more decorative one than a purely labor-intensive one.

You may be right. Or she may be just 'playing' with 'this and that'. It's an excuse to be in the US for a while. Meet new people, have new experiences. She has the luxury to be a dilettante, after all.

Does she play golf?

:p

Life is hard for many. It needn't be for Beatrice. I personally have no misgivings about a young person who can enjoy a life of luxury and privilege, doing so. She may find herself criticized for her choices, but if there's no need (or desire on her part) to work long hours, worrying about the future, laboring in an uninteresting job, then why the heck should she? Eugenie has been fortunate to find a career which is both interesting and glamorous. I hope Beatrice can do likewise- if that's what she wants.

It's very unlikely that she will achieve a high-flying career in the big financial world.

Yesterday, March 4, Beatrice attended the We Day UK charity dinner in London. Today she attended the We Day UK at the Wembley Arena. We Day "celebrates the potential of young people to implement local and global changes".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** tatler.com gallery: We Day UK dinner ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Princess Beatrice supports close friend Holly Branson as she gives speech at charity dinner.. **

I always like to see Princess Beatrice doing charitable functions (and remain of the view these should be included in the court circular), but hasn't she only just gone to New York to do some financial studies?

:previous:

Seems the York Princesses don't mind the long flights..;)

Beatrice's day ended with an evening at Chiltern Firehouse yesterday, March 5:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I always like to see Princess Beatrice doing charitable functions (and remain of the view these should be included in the court circular), but hasn't she only just gone to New York to do some financial studies?

These are private engagements, not ones where the Crown is represented. They will, therefore, not be included in the CC.

Why should any other royal who attends a charity event then have that listed in the CC?

The best example to me of this occurred in 2012.

On one day Kate presented medals at the Paralympic Games - listed in the CC.

Next day Eugenie did the same thing - not listed in the CC.

Why was it an official engagement for Kate but not for Eugenie?

Why is it when Anne attends a charity dinner it is listed in the CC but not when Beatrice does the same thing?

Why is it when Harry greets people linked to one of his charities it is in the CC but when Beatrice does that it isn't?

The Crown isn't always represented when things are listed in the CC. Often the event is simply described as xxxx attended a dinner for yyy charity.

Last edited:
It looks contradictory to me. It is as though some royal membersare favoured and others not

From royal.gov: "The Queen decides which members of her family are accorded the status of members of the Royal Family and also, from time to time, approves their precedence." from http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/Successionandprecedence/Precedence/Overview.aspx

That is a fairly strong statement. It is next to a listing of "The Current Royal Family" which does not include Bea and Eugenie. It includes 16 people (The Prince Michaels listed as one). Go and look at it if you are curious.

Then in the body of of the Precedence statement comes this comment which re-muddles the water: "Generally speaking, the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of a Sovereign, as well as their spouses, are members of the Royal Family. First cousins of the monarch may also be included. Children are included on coming of age or after they have completed their education. " So there appears to be a working RF and a general RF.

I think the CC listing comes down to:

• You are asked by the Queen's schedulers to do something that the Royal Family has been asked and agreed to do. (listed)
  • You do something by invitation in general. (not listed)
So, if the Queen asks Bea to attend a banquet and stand as a "member of the Royal Family" - she would get a CC listing. Ditto if she were asked to hand out a medal that was scheduled through the RF event office.

But if Bea were invited to a state dinner, in the same way other interesting, famous people are invited to a state dinner - no CC listing, no official role. Or if Bea wanted to (I would) and volunteered to hand out a medal (as for other famous, interesting people), no CC listing. I'd also guess these latter appearances are not cleared through the Queen's office.

But the larger point is that the 16 people listed as members of the RF are the people who are asked to act officially as working members of the RF at events. There may be rare exceptions -but they are rare indeed.

I do find it interesting that the Precedence page on Royal.gov carries a banner photo including Bea, Eugenie, Andrew, Wills, The Queen and Phillip and the top of Charles's head. This is on the very page that makes somewhat clear that Bea and Eugenie are not members of the working "Royal Family." That same picture is used on the Succession page - in which Bea and Eugenie have a more prominent role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom