Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 14: July 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's very hard to know what Kate pays for and whether anything is discounted. I would assume all the young royals are roughly in keeping with what other celeb-types do in this regard - although they could be quite conservative as to what they receive from others - I've not read or heard much on this topic.

I would think that Pss B is the "guest" of various people of ample means. Royalty still carries a lot of weight and there are those who will do anything if it means gaining the confidences and good graces of a royal. And many shops/restaurants/hotels would eagerly write off any costs to be able to say a royal patronized their business, esp. if photos of the event were allowed. Plus, she is a wealthy young woman whose family has mucho connections and clout. Not to mention she travels in wealthy circles. I don't think she is personally picking up most of the tab to her trips. But that doesn't necessarily make her a "freebie."

Yes, it's very hard to know what Kate pays for and whether anything is discounted. I would assume all the young royals are roughly in keeping with what other celeb-types do in this regard - although they could be quite conservative as to what they receive from others - I've not read or heard much on this topic.

I know that before the wedding, Kate refused any freebies; I read that the shop where she bought her engagement dress tried to give it to her but she refused and insisted on paying. Also she returned a selection of clothing that Posh sent her.

Still, as time passes she will need more and more clothing for various events; it's hard to see how any income can stand up to that.

(Well, I suppose William's can, but I don't know about Beatrice's.) Exactly how wealthy is Dave Clark?

And it's true that accepting this stuff creates a sense of obligation.

I did read once that Fergie was dismayed because designers who courted Diana were less interested in providing Fergie with clothes.

Last edited:
I know that before the wedding, Kate refused any freebies; I read that the shop where she bought her engagement dress tried to give it to her but she refused and insisted on paying. Also she returned a selection of clothing that Posh sent her.

It is my understanding that whilst many designers and fashion brands send clothes and accessories to SJP for the Duchess of Cambridge, most are returned. SJP pay for the items she keeps.

Still, as time passes she will need more and more clothing for various events; it's hard to see how any income can stand up to that.

(Well, I suppose William's can, but I don't know about Beatrice's.) Exactly how wealthy is Dave Clark?

I am reasonably sure the funding for the working wardrobe of the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Cornwall can be comfortably afforded on the income generated by the Duchy of Cornwall. Both ladies have demonstrated how thrifty they can be - Camilla by regularly recycling favourite items, and Catherine by mixing high street with high end.

I would think that Pss B is the "guest" of various people of ample means. Royalty still carries a lot of weight and there are those who will do anything if it means gaining the confidences and good graces of a royal. And many shops/restaurants/hotels would eagerly write off any costs to be able to say a royal patronized their business, esp. if photos of the event were allowed. Plus, she is a wealthy young woman whose family has mucho connections and clout. Not to mention she travels in wealthy circles. I don't think she is personally picking up most of the tab to her trips. But that doesn't necessarily make her a "freebie."

If Beatrice chooses to follow the path suggested above (and certainly one that a lot of celebs follow), she will be going down a slippery slope. Accepting freebies and generous discounts will leave her beholden to certain interests, and certainly something that HM and the DoE will not be comfortable with.

Why don't we wait for some type of proof before suggesting that Beatrice is following Sarah's path. Talk about guilt by association.

And while Andrew is definitely not as well off as Charles, the Andrew of 2011 doesn't have the same financial resources of the Andrew that divorced Sarah. Need I remind anyone that most likely both Andrew and Beatrice inheirted money when the Queen Mother died....even if money was put in a trust, depending on how it was invested Beatrice probably could live off the interest for a while. Its not like she is paying rent and tution.

Everyone is acting like Sarah has wiped out Beatrice (and Eugenie's) trust fund. We are making a lot of specualtive comments that honestly I am sure we will never know the true story to. I pretty sure that Queen wouldn't alllow that to happen.

ETA: I found this post by Branchg in http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/trust-funds-for-the-queens-children-and-grandchildren

Well, based on Sarah's divorce settlement as an example, Beatrice and Eugenie are the beneficiaries of a $3 million trust set-up by The Queen, with the income accruing directly to them after 25.

Branchg is usually pretty good in terms of accuracy and sources. So if this is the case, Beatrice can't touch the principal of her trust fund from the Queen. Most likely its the same with the Queen Mother. As in the same thread, its mentioned that the Queen's grandchildren don't have access to the QM's trust funds until Charles becomes King. No source given. So perhaps Beatrice is still being supported the Andrew and the Queen.

Last edited:
Everyone is acting like Sarah has wiped out Beatrice (and Eugenie's) trust fund. We are making a lot of specualtive comments that honestly I am sure we will never know the true story to. I pretty sure that Queen wouldn't alllow that to happen.

I am not sure who the "Everyone" you are referring to includes, but I do think the York girls live quite expensive lifestyles. They are often seen in expensive designer gear that they are rarely seen to recycle (something that all the senior members of the BRF are past masters at), often party and expensive establishments (which they may or may not entirely fund themselves) and often holiday abroad in expensive settings.

Whilst there is little information in the public domain as to the size of financial resources available to the York girls or to Andrew, a little restraint this early in life would surely hold them in good stead in the long run. In their mother, they have the example of the impact of maintaining a lifestyle in excess of what one can afford, and they would do well (and they may well already have) to learn from that example.

Muriel.....you follow the Yorks just like I do and I would guess that a majority of the same people who posts in the Sarah threads post in the York Princesses thread. Beatrice because she is out and about more than Eugenie gets more press. With that in mind, has it not been questioneed in the Sarah threads about how she can afford to continue to live the lifestyle she is living? And pretty much everyone (and yes that is a generalization but you are right its not everyone, so I will change it a majority of the posters) believe that Sarah is living off Beatrice and Eugenie's trust fund? Because I have read that in several posts in the Sarah threads.

And yes Beatrice lives in an expensive world (boating in St. Tropez) but whose to say she is paying for it? Most likely she only had to pay for a way to where the boat is. But if you think about it, a majority of the Queen's adult grandchildren (with the exception of Peter) live in an expensive world. The only difference is that William and Harry (with their polo which isn't a cheap sport/hobby) live off Charles. Zara's sport is particular expensive as well (one assumes that she was supported by Anne and the Queen in beginning. And now she has some sponsors to assist her with her costs.

In the fashion thread of Beatrice (or perhaps earlier in the Current Events thread) reference has been made to the expensive dresses that Beatrice (I am just going to focus on her since its her thread) wears. First of all, Beatrice has lot a lot of weight, so dont' most women when they lose weight buy new clothes. She's lost what....2 to 4 dress sizes? Whose to say she paid for them...perhaps they were a gift from her father or grandmother. If the rumours are true that Andrew is paying for a stylist, than I would assume for the wedding of William and Kate, he paid for her wedding attire. In regards to her other designer dresses, how many events does she regularly attend? Its not like Kate or other members of the BRF where you will see them again and again doing public engagements. So everytime we see Beatrice it looks like its a new dress when (IF she started doing public engagements on a regular which is not the case for her) because she was out and about more often we would see her duplicate her dresses. When I first started going out to particular events, I would always buy a new dress and when it became a regular thing, those dresses were resued. IMO its a big thing if you never seen Beatrice in a repeat everyday dress or the like.

In regards to your last statement, one does assume that children learn from the mistakes of their parents. But again, if one reads the Sarah threads --- Sarah has always lived on the fringes of the jet set. Beatrice was born a member of the British Royal Family and has access to money that Sarah had and let slip thru her fingers. Sarah's life as middle class (or upper middle class) and Beatrice's life (even as a junior member of the BRF)...is not the same thing . Just on the basis of their suspected trust funds (the divorce settlement, the Queen Mother and later on the Queens), they will be able to live a lifestyle that Sarah can only dream of just by living of the interest. Beatrice's kids might have to worry about money but I doubt Beatrice will. I also don't see proof that she is living outside her means. But than again, its fairly early and a bit unfair to compare the lifestyle of a 50 plus year old woman with that of a 22 year old. In addition, to her trust fund one hopes that Beatrice will obtain a job that will assist her in her lifestyle (but I can't see that happening unless she is a designer or author or something) and than if she marries someone who has more money than her, than all bets are off IMO.

Last edited:
Funny to read people wanting the York girls to recycle their clothes when - let's be honest - many if us criticize their fashion sense when we 1st see their outfits.

Thanks for the clarification, EllieCat.

It's clear that the two princesses are very spendy - it will take time to see how this plays out (once they become workers in the private sector).

Okay...maybe its clear to other people but its not so clear to me...in what ways are the two Princesses spendy? Cause they like to travel to exotic jet set places? Other than the Queen and Prince Phillip (and maybe Anne, Edward and Sophie)...I can certainly think of other members of the BRF who like to travel to jet set places. Or does Charles skiing every year in Switzerland not count? William has certainly been to his fair share of expensive islands as does Harry with his annual trips to Africa? So what's the difference again? And if they become workers in teh private sector (and work like Kate a couple of times a week) and than have Fridays off...how is that different from Kate's parents supporting her when she was still taking those exotic vacations. And let's not forget that they have friends and family who have stuff that many of pay for...stuff like private islands, private jets, private yachts...they are not paying for any of that...so maybe it should be they like the good life? And again, how is that different than anyone else?

Again, it looks has if the York daughters are dealing with guilt by association.

Last edited:
The outfits they wore to the wedding were estimated to cost quite a bit - particularly Beatrice's. 1500£ per appearance for a stylist is way more than most of us can afford - which is what I mean by spendy. This is not "upper middle class" behavior. The hat, which cost $2400 American did make money for charity - but I think any hat she'd worn that was similarly talked about in the press (regardless of initial cost) would have sold for a lot on eBay (no word if the deal actually went through to the highest bidder - that's still a secret, often very high bids do not go through on eBay, people get very excited).

She has worn several of those Treacy hats, and apparently he doesn't sell anything for much under $1500 each - and does she ever wear the same one twice? The outfits for the Royal Wedding (the several outfits, all told) were in the thousands of dollars as well.

I don't know about you, Zonk, but most 20-somethings aren't able to spend that much. As I understand it, the Queen has implied or said that the two girls should go make their own living - what I mean by "spendy" is that they are spending someone else's money, no?

It might be wise for Prince Andrew to teach them a bit more about money management, if it's not too late. I recall an article about how much he spent on the two girls, total, for the wedding. It was a significant sum. I think this plays into the Queen's decision to make it clear that the girls are not going to be working royals (but they still have the lifestyle, and Prince Andrew is paying for it).

I myself do not think Prince Andrew was completely incognizant of his ex-wife's cash for access schemes. I think he needs more money than he readily has, and his actions around the world seem to show that he is "working" to make as much as he can - and where does it go? Not all to philanthropy, that's for sure.

But good on Beatrice for wearing such a hat - it made her notorious and won a good bit of change for some charity (someone will remember which one).

Actually if you look at pictures of Beatrice and Eugenie at various events (Royal Ascot, Trooping of the Colour, Easter and Christmas services)....they have in fact worn some of their Phillip Treacy hats several times. In fact, there are pictures of Beatrice wearing the hat at one particular event and Eugenie wearing it at another separate event. You can check those out at Ella Kay's Royal Hattery blog. So they do know how to reuse expensive items..and since we see that at certain events (i.e. Elton John AIDS gala, certain royal affairs) but not at ALL of their events...we don't know for certainty that they don't wear certain designer gowns again.

There are numerous certain events that members of the British aristocracy and the BRF attend that aren't reported. I have seen pics of Beatrice at certain events in Hello! that I haven't seen posted here (despite Iceflower's great picture posting skills :flowers:)

But you are correct that Beatrice and Eugenie aren't like every 20 year old in regards to their clothes and lifestyle. But my point is that they aren't normal 20 year olds. If you follow the the likes of Petra Eccelstone, Holly Branson, Pippa Middleton, Tatiana Santo Domingo, Chelsy Davy, etc....they also were/are not normal 20 year olds. They are not like the rest of us who might need to work to help our families, put ourselves thru college etc.....that's not their life.

Would Beatrice be better off focusing on a career after she graduates? Should she not live the jet set life, etc. Hopefully she will come to a happy balance.

Frankly it just bothers me that these girls have been written off as just like their parents when at 22 and 21 they dont' know what their future holds. Isn't it the norm that kids their age like to party and go clubbing? Of course their verision of a club and vacation is MUCH different than mine. It bothers me when people generalize children of criminals (oh he/she is going to be just like her mother/father) when they haven't exhibited anything of the sort. Its not fair to put labels on people when they have dont' nothing to deserve them. I mean, look at the children of Princess Margaret and the Earl Snowdon.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree that the BRF are probably being a bit premature in writing off the Princesses' value to the working monarchy. I used to feel they were worthless, but have since changed my mind on that. We don't know what they can do, as they have yet to try anything as adults. I say let's wait and see. I think they are "good" girls. A parent may influence a child's behaviour, but in the end they will choose their own attitudes, develop their own interests and live their own lives. They are fortunate that they have that choice.

As for the clubbing, it's what young people do. I clubbed way back and still like to do so, but only occasionally.

Vive la Yorks!

I certainly wasn't generalizing - except to say that *all* rich and famous 20-somethings (royal or not) tend to be spendy in a way that the rest of the 20-somethings cannot be.

My two daughters could actually spend more than they do (their father, stepfather and grandparents have been willing to be indulgent) but have preferred to tough it out. I am rather more like Queen Elizabeth in terms of money ideology, I think that tasteful and economical are possible. However, of course their dad wants them to splurge - but I do think that he looks very very stressed in the pictures of the last two years, and has three females to support. He may feel a bit of guilt or something similar about bailing out Sarah, and is offering equal amounts of funds to his daughters (what dad wouldn't?)

But all three of those women should be thinking about some form of independence - Andrew won't be around forever. Unlike the Duke of Cornwall, the Duke of York doesn't have a regular income from his Duchy (I've tried to research where exactly the Duke of York gets his money; his own travels are often working visits - but I've not yet read anything convincing about where he gets his funds - aside from his mother).

Queen Elizabeth's expenses are of course her own business, but I do think she thinks about paring down the expenses to the UK (witness the stopping of the 500,000£ a year security for the princesses - I believe that's what it was).

The two princesses should certainly have fun - and it's great that they exchange hats and wear them more than one time; but spending 2000£ per hat, or so, still seems extravagant to me. It looks like at least 6 showed up in the last year - probably a year's income from some workers in the UK, no?

College age people need some budget limits, I guess is what I'm saying - whether they are royal or not (and I am equally critical of the brand new cars/sound systems bestowed upon so many of my students).

Well, I totally agree that SOME people (really its not just college students) have no concept of money and certainly don't know how to live on a budget.

I think since we dont' know how much Andrew money has a lot of people assume that he is living solely off the Queen. We (and I) don't know so since this is Beatrice's thread we probably shouldn't get off topic but I do think that if the Queen Mother was like Diana (Harry received more of her estate than William) she made provisions for those who wouldn't benefit from the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster. I would think she made trusts so they couldn't touch the principal. So that would be Anne, Edward, Andrew and their children (Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara, Peter and Louise). Cant recall if James was born yet. She probably also took care of Margaret's children and grandchildren.

As for the cost of the hat...yes thats certainly a lot of money for me....maybe not so for Beatrice...but I look at as investment...when I first started working full time..I purchased a lot of work clothes and as the years went on...I just added to it. Never the big outlay.

But I think there is a lot we dont know...for all we know the Queen is purchasing some of Beatrice's clothes....she could have sold a lot more on Ebay that wasn't publicized. Not trying to bring up Kim Kardashian (and really more pop starts, etc.) but there are a lot of people who sell designer clothes on Ebay than you realize. And they are pretty famous.

But as I said before Beatrice if she lives a jet set life but doesn't try to keep up financially with the Holly Bransons, she should live well off. Her kids will most likely have to work. We do know that the Queen set up a trust fund for her and Eugenie as a result of the York divorce settlement. So if it was invested wisely and didn't get hit by the GFC she should be okay. Goodness knows what she received from the Queen Mother and the Queen when she dies.

I don't want to take the thread too much off topic, but way of background information, this might help as background also to Beatrice's wealth

But all three of those women should be thinking about some form of independence - Andrew won't be around forever. Unlike the Duke of Cornwall, the Duke of York doesn't have a regular income from his Duchy (I've tried to research where exactly the Duke of York gets his money; his own travels are often working visits - but I've not yet read anything convincing about where he gets his funds - aside from his mother).

At the time of the divorce of the Duke and Duchess of York, Andrew's assets were stated by the reliable broadsheet press, quoting Palace Spokesmen but on a 'Chatham House' basis as 1. His Naval Salary 2. His Civil List payment [subsequently refunded to the Treasury by the Queen] and 3. An Insurance Policy. Subsequently, it has been stated, although we have no way of knowing whether or not this is true, that it is belived he was one of the Grandchilden / Great Grandchildren to have received a legacy from the Queen Mother. Not all her Granchildren etc were beneficiaries if they were felt to have access to other sources of income in their own rignt [in due course if necessary] e.g. Prince of Wales, Prince William. Oddly enough, one of the ironies of the situation was that when Sarah was at the start of her post divorce career, her income from WeighWatchers, her divorce settlement [far more generous than she pretends] her photoshoots for Hello, her literary endeavours, her Waterford Crystal [as I think it was] was such that the Times even listed her in their annual wealth list - something Andrew never acheived so in other words she was richer than him at one point!

Queen Elizabeth's expenses are of course her own business, but I do think she thinks about paring down the expenses to the UK (witness the stopping of the 500,000£ a year security for the princesses - I believe that's what it was).

The figure you quote is that which has appeared in the papers; actually the money for the security of Beatrice and Eugenie came directly from the taxpayer, not the Queen, and was in addition to the Civil List payments made to HM etc

The two princesses should certainly have fun - and it's great that they exchange hats and wear them more than one time; but spending 2000£ per hat, or so, still seems extravagant to me. It looks like at least 6 showed up in the last year - probably a year's income from some workers in the UK, no?

£12,000 I believe is indeed the average yearly income for those in the UK.

ETA: I am such a slow typist that Zonk's post appeared first.

Last edited:
I don't see what the big deal is about the York girls' money. They are from a wealthy (and royal) family, so comparing them to (more average) women from the middle/upper middle class is moot. There are alot of wealthy young people out there who had the good fortune of fate to have been born into wealthy families (outside of the entertainment/sports industries, most rich folks in their early 20s did not earn the $$$ on their own). Look at that Eccelstone girl who just bought the infamous Spelling mansion for $85 million in cash. What is she, 22 years old or something?
With the royals I understand there are issues about what the taxpayers are footing the bill for, but in the case of the Pss' B & E's vacations and clothes, I think the funds for these things come from personal accounts.
So they're young and wealthy and live (seemingly) an ideal life? So what? They're lucky in many ways. Unlucky in other ways. I think the issue should be how will they use their fortunate circumtances to make a positive difference?

Well, Beatrice has already made something of her life by getting a university degree, and Eugenie is following her sister's example.

I know that the security money came from taxpayers and not the Queen. And now, apparently, the girls live with less security (rather than Dad footing the bill).

We don't know how rich they are, but I don't think Prince Andrew is independently mega-rich. Yes, the girls both have university degrees (thousands of people do) but the job market is not that great - it remains to be seen if they can pull in much income on their own.

My point is that people can have a good revenue stream for awhile (as Sarah once did) but not be able to indefinitely keep up a certain lifestyle. I merely hope the princesses have been taught money management. Time will tell.

In the meantime, people in Los Angeles are having fun imitating Princess Beatrice's fascinator in honor of Carmaggedon:

Carmaggedon Fascinators...

I read years ago (before Andrew was married) that the Queen had set up trust funds for her younger children when they were very young. The figure I head was 1 million dollars.

I'm sure there were stimulations put on the money. Perhaps Andrew didn't have access to it at the time of the divorce. If the money has been left to grow, it would be a substantial amount by now.

Well, Beatrice has already made something of her life by getting a university degree, and Eugenie is following her sister's example.

I'm not anti-education, far from it, but these days many university degrees are the educational equivalent of a degree in basket-weaving.

Some students see their college years as a four-year party, and graduate with few substantial skills or knowledge, although they are still able to say they have a degree. They log the hours, so they "earned" the degree.

I'm not saying Beatrice's degree is like that, but let's see what use she makes of it before regarding it as a great accomplishment.

Mirabel, you appear to be in league with the editors of some of our better British newspapers!!! [joke]. Beatrice's degree is in The History of Ideas from Goldsmiths' College, University of London. Some journalists have commented on its limited vocational use etc etc and have taken the view [perhaps unfairly, I don't know much about this particular college] that it is not scholastically demanding etc etc. Poor Beatrice, she can't win can she?

Alex

Not all her Granchildren etc were beneficiaries if they were felt to have access to other sources of income in their own rignt [in due course if necessary] e.g. Prince of Wales, Prince William. Oddly enough, one of the ironies of the situation was that when Sarah was at the start of her post divorce career, her income from WeighWatchers, her divorce settlement [far more generous than she pretends] her photoshoots for Hello, her literary endeavours, her Waterford Crystal [as I think it was] was such that the Times even listed her in their annual wealth list - something Andrew never acheived so in other words she was richer than him at one point!
Not quite, D, it was Wedgewood china. I remember because Sarah was on Regis and Kathy Lee (before Kelly replaced her) and actually turned a cup upside down and stood on it to prove how strong the china was.

I'm talking about more than just getting a degree. Getting a degree is wonderful, but what are you going to do with it is the point I'm trying to make. And this isn't necessarily just directed at the York girls, it's basically a question I think everyone, esp. those born into priviledge, need to ask themselves.

Not quite, D, it was Wedgewood china. I remember because Sarah was on Regis and Kathy Lee (before Kelly replaced her) and actually turned a cup upside down and stood on it to prove how strong the china was.

Thanks Russso, actually we are both right: the Company is one and the same now - 'Waterford Wedgewood'. I can remember being in the USA when Sarah was graciously showing the correct way to imbibe from crystal glasses and tumblers. I have to say it was slightly incongruous to look at a tv clip of Sarah acting in a would-be refined manner....the London Times once described her m.o. as ' A creak of a (creaking) suspender [as in garter belt] followed by a noisy cackle'.

Slightly off topic - I remember Kathy Lee from my visits to the US - 'I don't believe I said that' used to be her catchphrase. And yes, it's true, fine bone china is actually very strong indeed, although I would not care to try it at home.

Just off to the Polo now,

Alex

I'm not anti-education, far from it, but these days many university degrees are the educational equivalent of a degree in basket-weaving.

Some students see their college years as a four-year party, and graduate with few substantial skills or knowledge, although they are still able to say they have a degree. They log the hours, so they "earned" the degree.

I'm not saying Beatrice's degree is like that, but let's see what use she makes of it before regarding it as a great accomplishment.

Very few college degrees are considered practical on their face - for example, pretty much all of the social sciences and humanities. And that's universally accepted by students and employers. But unless the employer is in a specialized field (e.g., electrical engineering) it does not matter. University students are taught to critically think, research, write, etc. An undergraduate degree is simply the base requirement to get any decent job these days. Regardless of the degree, employers just want to hire a smart college grad with good common sense and excellent communication/people skills so they can teach them their business.

I would expect Beatrice to start in some low-paying (but well-connected) job. She'll be lucky in that she has extra income. Almost no starting jobs these days for college grads pay a living wage. (That's why so many live at home right now or work several jobs.) Most of the recent jobs college grads find are also "starter jobs." If Beatrice continues to work, I wouldn't be surprised if she changed her job a few times to find the right company, fit, pay and field.

And if she's like all of my friends, Beatrice will also have a quarter life crisis. "I'm 25, I have an excellent education but work in a low-paying job that I dislike, can barely afford to pay my bills, I have no idea what I want to do with my life, there are no better options, something needs to change but I don't know what." Okay, so Beatrice will have a few advantages with trust funds and what not, but if she struggles in a few years trying to find her place and meaning in the world, I wouldn't blame her.

Even if Beatrice pulls a lot of strings and uses connections, we should cut her some slack. The life of a young working college grad is not so easy these days. I'm not usually one to defend Beatrice or pay much attention to her, but it sounds like there are a lot of unrealistic and unfair expectations being placed upon her.

There’s 2 points I’d like to make, here.
Firstly, I think it’s perfectly normal that Beatrice, as a Princess, lives a lifestyle that is inevitably a long way above what most of us could aspire to. To expect anything else is unrealistic. And there is no evidence that she is spending beyond her means. As others have pointed out, her title opens up many possibilities of hospitality at the expense of the very wealthy (which many of her friends are), or of companies or institutions. Plus she has a trust fund. I don’t see a problem with any of that. Her position in life comes with responsibilities and with certain problems (press criticism, etc.), but also with a certain privileges and entitlement.

Secondly, on her degree – a 2:1 in History and history of Ideas from Goldsmiths is definitely an achievement. There are some dubious degree courses, but this is a proper academic degree from a highly respected institution. And whilst I agree that any degree in whatever subject is a must for graduate level jobs, I also truly believe that a high quality university education is worthwhile IN ITSELF. It stimulates intellectual curiosity and mental discipline, and hopefully sets off a lifelong interest in whatever you study, even if you never formally study again.

For me, Beatrice should be very proud of her achievement, and certainly deserves the chance to celebrate and relax after all her hard work.

We will see what she does over the next few months, with her connections she shouldn't have too much trouble getting a position somewhere. She has had a great holiday so far so she either has started applying or should. I know some graduates who have applied for several jobs and the best ones will be snapped up quickly even in this sort of economy. Her degree allows her several options so she is lucky that way. I think maybe Virgin may offer her something but she will need to be careful because the press will have a field day if she gets something she isn't deemed qualified for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom