Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 14: July 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that. :flowers:

I agree, I've only been impressed at Beatrice. Attitude is everything in my book and she seems genuinely eager to step up and help whenever and wherever she can. I am one of those who think she can be an asset to the royal family.

Last edited:
Now that would have been news:lol:

Oh, I see what you mean. You are right. I meant different skit would have been much better. More tailored, not ruffles.

She speaks very well and is totally connected to what she is doing (unlike William and Kate who come across quite stilted when giving speeches).

:previous: Yes, she did very well. And she even handled the collapsing curtain with aplomb! :D

I'm wondering whether Dave might have been giving her some tips about public speaking.

Considering she was the Head Girl at her school I suspect that she has had some experience of public speaking before (note that neither William nor Harry were chosen for that role at Eton and yet Peter, Charles and Edward were all Head Boys at Gordonstoun and they have always spoken well in public while William in particular mumbles a lot - to the extent that I usually need to read the text of his speeches as he is virtually unintelligible while Harry isn't much better - maybe Eton doesn't worry about public speaking as a skill at school).

Yeah? I thought she looked quite nervous and kept thanking them over and over for having her there. Not a great speaker I though but a humbled and nervous one. She looked friendly and eager to please and with NO AIRS AND GRACES. I noticed too that her accent was quite normal unlike Kate's.

The curtain catch was spot on!!

I liked the fact that she spoke from the heart - no notes - and was referring to what she had seen and done at the school herself during the tour - so took notes of what she was shown and commented on that.

I think both Beatrice & Eugenie have learned a lot from their parents and grandparents. Both Andrew & Sarah are very good at public speaking and without notes. They have accompanied their parents on official engagements and The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh too.

Good to see Beatrice doing engagements. Not the best speech, but I give her a pass beacuse she seemed really nervous.

She speaks very well and is totally connected to what she is doing (unlike William and Kate who come across quite stilted when giving speeches).

I don't think William comes across as stilted. In fact, I think he is a better public speaker than Kate or Beatrice (which is to be expected since he's been doing longer). Both Kate and Beatrice seem quite nervous when giving speeches, but I'm sure they'll get better as time goes on.

Last edited:
Good to see Beatrice doing engagements. Not the best speech, but I give her a pass beacuse she seemed really nervous.

I don't think William comes across as stilted. In fact, I think he is a better public speaker than Kate or Beatrice (which is to be expected since he's been doing longer). Both Kate and Beatrice seem quite nervous when giving speeches, but I'm sure they'll get better as time goes on.

I suppose we have different ideas of what makes a good public speaker - I think a good public speaker has to be:

a) audible - William isn't most of the time
b) engaged - William isn't - he is usually bored
c) enthusiastic - William isn't - he clearly loathes public appearances and can't get away fast enough
d) look at the audience - William can't do that as he reads his speeches.

As a teacher if I had to give them a mark out of 100 - Beatrice would get about 78, Kate about 20 and William in the 30s. The moment one of my students goes up to do a speech which they read they automatically fail - they are told to have short notes that they expand upon but William just reads with no emotion. Harry is way better but still not good.

Last edited:
I suppose we have different ideas of what makes a good public speaker - I think a good public speaker has to be:

c) enthusiastic - William isn't - he clearly loathes public appearances and can't get away fast enough

As a teacher if I had to give them a mark out of 100 - Beatrice would get about 78, Kate about 20 and William in the 30s.

Using your scale, I'd rank Catherine higher than William.
a) about the same
b) more engaged
c) she speaks about things she cares about - way ahead of William
d) struggles but has improved a lot. Lack of experience the issue

As a teacher if I had to give them a mark out of 100 - Beatrice would get about 78, Kate about 20 and William in the 30s. The moment one of my students goes up to do a speech which they read they automatically fail - they are told to have short notes that they expand upon but William just reads with no emotion. Harry is way better but still not good.

I agree with the grades you give, Iluvbertie, but, AND HERE IS A FIRST, I don't buy the assessment of William's abilities overall. I've always heard him when I bothered to listen to the video. I almost never listen as they (all the BRF) rarely say anything that moves the discussion forward.

I also don't think he is bored or blase - I just think he was raised to be very OK, calm, stiff upper lip, princely, whatever it is that we call his role. He is supposed to show up and not raise anyone's hackles. That shows in his public speaking.
I don't blame him, I blame his job.
For all I know, he can tell outrageous stories, max voce (sp?) in front of people who will never let on about it (Kate, Harry, Dad, Camilla, Anne, Zara, etc.)

I also don't think he is bored or blase - I just think he was raised to be very OK, calm, stiff upper lip, princely, whatever it is that we call his role. He is supposed to show up and not raise anyone's hackles. That shows in his public speaking.
I don't blame him, I blame his job.

I think that the point of a lot, if not all, of his speeches is to communicate a message and/or engender enthusiasm for a project, and that means he must also at least appear to be enthusiastic about, or at least interested in, his topic. If he doesn't seem interested or enthusiastic about it, he can't expect his audience to be. Charles has always been able to communicate his passion about subjects about which he is passionate, and even when he was not speaking about something of particular interest to him he gave the impression he was trying very hard. I get that feeling from Harry, too. I do not get that feeling from William.

Beatrice is not a polished speaker, but she was enthusiastic and obviously interested in her audience. She recovered from errors quickly. Those who heard her will remember what she said, and how likeable she is.

Last edited:

We definitely have different ideas of what makes a good speech because I have no problem with a speaker reading their speech. As for Beatrice, I definitely wouldn't mark her anywhere near 78 (IMO, she ranks lower than William and around the same level as Kate). Sure she seemed excited, but her speech was scattered and she just kept repeating the same words. If she's not going to use cards, then she needs to memorize something instead of just repeatdly thanking the audience.

I've seen plenty of William's speeches where he's engaged and connected with the audience, but I do agree that he does need to work on being more audible.

Last edited:
We definitely have different ideas of what makes a good speech because I have no problem with a speaker reading their speech. As for Beatrice, I definitely wouldn't mark her anywhere near 78 (IMO, she ranks lower than William and around the same level as Kate). Sure she seemed excited, but her speech was scattered and she just kept repeating the same words. If she's not going to use cards, then she needs to memorize something instead of just repeatdly thanking the audience.

I've seen plenty of William's speeches where he's engaged and connected with the audience, but I do agree that he does need to work on being more audible.

On the point of Kate and Beatrice as being on the same level, I really have to disagree with you there. Beatrice seemed authentic, something I think Kate very much lacks. IMO, that automatically places Beatrice well ahead Kate.

Reading a speech isn't giving a speech at all - you may as well just hand it out and skip the entire process. You can't engage with your audience if you are reading as you are reading and thus your eyes aren't on the audience but on the speech.

Last edited:
When I say reading a speech, I'm not talking about just reading without ever looking at the audience. I mean reading and taking occasional glances. I've seen plenty of speakers that have read speeches and still stayed connected/engaged this way.

I personally don't need to see a speaker's eyes the entire time to feel connected (occasional glances are fine). The emotion in their voice matters more to me than constant eye contact.

But to each his own. You and I will never agree on what makes a good speaker.

On the point of Kate and Beatrice as being on the same level, I really have to disagree with you there. Beatrice seemed authentic, something I think Kate very much lacks. IMO, that automatically places Beatrice well ahead Kate.

Yeah, we definitely disagree because I think both Kate and Beatrice seem authentic.

Last edited:
When I say reading a speech, I'm not talking about just reading without ever looking at the audience. I mean reading and taking occasional glances. I've seen plenty of speakers that have read speeches and still stayed connected/engaged this way.

I personally don't need to see a speaker's eyes the entire time to feel connected (occasional glances are fine). The emotion in their voice matters more to me than constant eye contact.

But to each his own. You and I will never agree on what makes a good speaker.

Yeah, we definitely disagree because I think both Kate and Beatrice seem authentic.

Hey, I agree with you!!!:lol:

I don't think Beatrice is as good or as polished as William. Yes Beatrice was eager a little too eager and she just kept repeating herself. We need to see more of her doing a speech for something a little more serious then this. But I think it's hard to judge when William and Kate do more speeches for more serious things then just opening a wing of a school. I wonder if Dave gave her pointers?

Reading a speech isn't giving a speech at all - you may as well just hand it out and skip the entire process. You can't engage with your audience if you are reading as you are reading and thus your eyes aren't on the audience but on the speech.

Doesn't HM usually just read her speeches?

Doesn't HM usually just read her speeches?

Yes, but everyone knows that someone else writes them, and no-one expects any passion in any of them, and she can't say anything controversial. No-one really pays much attention to them. She's a figurehead, nothing more.

The Queen has done a couple of lovely speeches usually during Jubilees and when she was paying tribute to the DofE. Some of her Christmas ones have been pretty good too. So while she might not write them she is at times able to get her own feelings through. I doubt Prince Charles writes all his or Anne. They do a lot of speeches they just wouldn't have the time to do a speech for every single engagement. I think they may have generic speeches for certain things and can add little bits to suit the event. Beatrice isn't in the same ballpark so a one off speech shouldn't be that hard. Her's was mostly saying thankyou and how excited she was too be there she did get a laugh which is important but hardly think it impacted the kids in anyway. They got to see a Princess up close that is what they will remember oh and she gave the thumbs up!

I agree, Beatrice looks great.

That is one of the best photos of Beatrice I've seen.

Still, one comment in the DM queries what she'd doing with a bunch of B-listers, and I have to concur. Why is she hanging with lingerie models and reality tv stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom