The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Princess Beatrice and Dave Clark attended The Art for Bhopal charity auction
held by Tatler, Simon de Pury and Hamish McAlpine, held at Phillips de Pury &
Company, London, October 11, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Old 10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Princess Beatrice and Dave Clark attended The Art for Bhopal charity auction
held by Tatler, Simon de Pury and Hamish McAlpine, held at Phillips de Pury &
Company, London, October 11, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Its okay to show up for a charity event and have yourselves pictured, but I query how much Beatrice and Dave know about the victims of Bhopal and their lives over the last 25 years?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Nobility

Just reading the word "Bhopal" gave me a spine tingling flashback.
I'm wondering how many people in their age group would know the horror that happened 25 years ago in Bhopal India?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post

Just reading the word "Bhopal" gave me a spine tingling flashback.
I'm wondering how many people in their age group would know the horror that happened 25 years ago in Bhopal India?

Exactly my point.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its okay to show up for a charity event and have yourselves pictured, but I query how much Beatrice and Dave know about the victims of Bhopal and their lives over the last 25 years?
Considering the horror that occurred I very much doubt she'd be allowed to attend something like that without being given, at the very least, the hard numbers. Imagine her being asked a question and not knowing the basics of the tragedy?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can I just ask what the "Bhopal Tragedy" is? I'm younger then Beatrice and Dave so I don't understand what happened.
But I understand your points.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator

The Bhopal disaster (also referred to as the Bhopal gas tragedy) is the world's worst industrial catastrophe. It occurred on the night of December 2–3, 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India. A leak of methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas and other chemicals from the plant resulted in the exposure of several thousands of people. Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259 and the government of Madhya Pradesh has confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release.[1] Other government agencies estimate 15,000 deaths.[2] Others estimate that 8,000 died within the first weeks and that another 8,000 have since died from gas-related diseases.[3][4] A government affidavit in 2006 stated the leak caused 558,125 injuries including 38,478 temporary partial and approximately 3,900 severely and permanently disabling injuries.[5]

Here is the link regarding the tragedy Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------------------

It was a terrible tragedy but let's give Beatrice and Dave the benefit of the doubt. Also, I wasn't born during WWII and the Holocaust but it doesn't mean that I am not touched what happened to the people who died and survived.

And you can insert any other worldwide tragedy that has happened in recent years. A person can read about it long after it happened, be affected by it and it can motivate people to hep the survivors. A person can read about AIDS, homelessness, drugs etc. It doesn't mean that that have had personal experience with AIDS, etc but they can still be touched by the issue and decide to do something.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, shall we? And hope that somebody on HM's team clued them in.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

One thing the royal family does very well is brief its members on the issues surrounding the events they are involved in so I would expect that Beatrice was well informed about this event. She is also studying history and thus I would expect her to have the skills to do some basic personal research about something like this before going to an event designed to assist the victims. It was a charity auction. How many people go to a charity event without knowing what the charity is about.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Can I just ask what the "Bhopal Tragedy" is? I'm younger then Beatrice and Dave so I don't understand what happened.
I didn't know what the Bhopal Tragedy was either, so thanks everyone for the information.

But if I were invited to a charity event to help Bhopal, I would be curious about what the Bhopal disaster was and would look it up. Wouldn't most of us?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I didn't know what the Bhopal Tragedy was either, so thanks everyone for the information.

But if I were invited to a charity event to help Bhopal, I would be curious about what the Bhopal disaster was and would look it up. Wouldn't most of us?
I looked it up as I had no clue about it even though I was well into adulthood when it happened.

I'm sure Beatrice, just as anyone going to a charity function for a cause would ask 'ok.. I'm not familiar with what "xxx" is.. fill me in?"

Thanks for posting the information on the disaster.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wasn't familiar with the Bhopal tragedy either until Zonk's post (thank you!!!) but I'm sure Beatrice and Dave were properly informed and most likely did some research on their own. I doubt they'd show up to a charity event and not know what it is for. That's just asking for more negative press.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

I remember when the Bhopal happened as it was at the beginning of an English cricket tour of India. That particular team arrived and with 24 hours or so Indira Gandhi was assassinated so they hurredly arranged a few games in Sri Lanka before returning to India in time for Bhopal - as one of them wrote in his book of the tour - "between our arrival and the first actual match over 50,000 Indians were killed. They were also there when the British High Commissioner (between Commonwealth countries the highest diplomatic post is called a High Commissioner not an Embassador) to India was assassinated - November 1984.

So within six weeks in India their PM was assassinated, the High Commissioner from Britain was assassinated and then the Bhopall tragedy occurred.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
One thing the royal family does very well is brief its members on the issues surrounding the events they are involved in so I would expect that Beatrice was well informed about this event.
One little correction, it is not the royal family that does this well, it is their private secretaries and staff whose job it is to brief members of the family before such events. Whether they read them carefully so as to remember is another story, or even if they actually take in what they are reading, I remember Prince Harry and his "joke" in Australia after the devastating fire in Victoria.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Princess Beatrice in tears at car crash

Princess Beatrice broke down and wept after crashing her £20,000 BMW car.

She got sandwiched between a bus and a tourist coach at one of London’s busiest roundabouts.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Aristocracy

Another link about Beatrice's crash, with a helpful picture of her driving a car in case we were confused!

Hello! Magazine

Going back to the Bhopal fundraiser, I would hope that she'd been a. briefed or b. gone on the internet to find out about what happened. I'm sure she's aware that she gets enough bad press without going to a charity event and having no idea about what it's for.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Nobility

Princess Beatrice in car crash horror as BMW smashed between bus and coach near Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

Daily Mail article points out that she still has a body guard. So have they been taken away or not? This was a scrape but driving in of itself is not so dangerous that she needs protection.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So she became sandwiched between two vehicles, there was no physical crash?
I thought it was rumoured that the bodyguards were being taken away?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Princess Beatrice in car crash horror as BMW smashed between bus and coach near Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

Daily Mail article points out that she still has a body guard. So have they been taken away or not? This was a scrape but driving in of itself is not so dangerous that she needs protection.
Young Bea appears not to be having much luck with her cars, is she? First she looses her car having left the keys in it, then she potentially writes it off in a crash. Is there a case for buying her an annual pass on the London Underground?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Administrator

In all fairness Muriel, who is to say that this recent car incident is her fault?

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice