Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 12: October 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, normal pictures of a young lady. Refreshing. Thanks.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her dress in the college pictures. does anyone know where she got it?

Thanks for the link, E&Os. Makes sense to me what she said.

It makes sense too when you think that if she was in the Goldsmith Student Halls she would probably have a curfew and have to be in by a certain time.
I like her in the more natural look as in this photo, she looks like the young girl she is.

The only way it makes sense is if there is very limited student housing. Otherwise, it sounds like a cop-out to me. Unless there are freshman who were denied housing and she freed a spot, she gave no legitimate reason for living at St. Jame's. If she wants to that's her business, but unless there is in fact very limited housing, she should have just given no reason at all or given a legitimate reason. To me it sounds like she just wanted to sound charitable and reasonable, so instead of giving the real reasons she told the press she was trying to help out, when in fact the reason she gave makes no sense.

But if there really is limited housing then it sounds very arrogant to assume that she would get a place if she wanted to. To quote her (via the Mail):
‘I gave up my place in halls because I live only half an hour from
campus. I thought the room would be better use to someone who had further to travel.’

So she claims she "had" a room and gave it up to somebody else who is more in need. This poses the question why she was offered a room when others with a greater need did not get one?

I am really trying to find something positive with the York girls, but articles like that turn me off. Or the "hands on"-remark about how to be a princess. As if her aunt Anne had never existed and Beatrice has to invent the whole way of being a benevolent princess all on her own!

I am really trying to find something positive with the York girls, but articles like that turn me off. Or the "hands on"-remark about how to be a princess. As if her aunt Anne had never existed and Beatrice has to invent the whole way of being a benevolent princess all on her own!

I don't know what hands-on remark you're referring to: the only comment I found was in the article about the Turkey/Romania documentary, where the Daily Mail inserted the comment about being hands-on, but actually quoted Beatrice as saying, ''Cutting ribbons and all that is an important part of being a member of the Royal Family but I feel there is another side to the work too." I really can't understand what is objectionable about that comment. Nowhere do I see Beatrice saying that Princess Anne isn't a hands-on royal, or hasn't done good work...for all I know she completely admires her aunt. All she said was that she wanted to do more than simply official PR-type duties...wanted to help raise awareness of charitable causes.

I understand criticizing Beatrice and Eugenie but sometimes these criticisms seem so baseless to me, I can't help but defend the girls.

I have no criticism of anything Beatrice and Eugenie have done or said. Sometimes things get mis-quoted, and the mis-quote becomes more famous than the actual quote ever was. I do find that there is sometimes unreasonable criticism of the York princesses as well, and I'm not sure what to attribute it to. :flowers:

From the Press Association: The Press Association: Beatrice reveals 'hands on' desire

Speaking to journalists, Beatrice said she was very lucky to have her mother as an "incredible role model".
She said she would definitely see herself "getting out there and doing a lot more of the hands on things".
Describing her experience as "a different type of education", she continued: "Ribbon-cutting aside, this is something that's so ingrained that it just is there and it just becomes a part of how you feel."
"I know it is a very different role that you would think of a member of the Royal Family (doing) but I am very blessed and very lucky to have had a very different upbringing and I've had an upbringing from someone who's been out there on the front lines and been doing this for a very long time."

From these quotes it is clear (at least to me) that for Beatrice not her Royal relatives are ("a very different role") but her mother is her role model. It's because she received a "different type of education", a "very different upbringing" (compared to whose education, when talking about being "Royal"?) from "someone who's been out there on the front lines" that she is not into "ribbon-cutting" but into doing "hands on"-things.

At the moment only Anne is in a similar situation like the one Beatrice as a female member of the RF with the style of HRH is in. So when Beatrice talks about her different approach due to her different upbringing, she does in fact critizise or at least diminish the "other approach" of Anne and Anne's "different upbringing". Thus she compares her mother to the queen and decides that her mother is better suited to bring up a Royal daughter than the queen was. Not very nice, that.

Oh, thanks for the quote, now I see what you were talking about. I don't see Beatrice as diminishing her royal upbringing at all. As a matter of fact, in her 18th birthday Tatler interview, she said how lucky she was to have two different perspectives, a royal one and a non-royal one. She also praised the queen in that interview:

She praised her grandmother, the Queen, who she described as "the most amazing woman anyone could ever meet", who she "loved to bits".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4740000/newsid_4741000/4741051.stm

Sarah is Beatrice's mother, not her grandmother or an aunt, so of course she is Beatrice's primary role model, just as Queen Elizabeth would have been Anne's primary role model. Yes, Beatrice and Eugenie are royals, but they can't help but have a different perspective on life from any other royals (including William and Harry because their mother died when they were young) because their mother is not currently a member of the royal family.

I honestly don't see how you can make the leap to say Beatrice is criticizing Princess Anne's upbringing. Princess Anne was not in a similar situation to Beatrice: at Beatrice's age she was the eldest daughter of the queen, second in line to the throne. Beatrice is fifth in line to the throne and the daughter of the queen's second son. A better analogy is the situation of the queen when she was Princess Elizabeth of York.

:previous:

Slight correction. When Princess Anne was 18 years old, she was 4th in line. DoY was born in 1960 and EoW was born in 1964. :flowers:

You're right. Clearly, I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that!

Although, Beatrice is twenty, not eighteen. Which doesn't make my comment any more accurate. :lol:

You're right. Clearly, I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that!

Although, Beatrice is twenty, not eighteen. Which doesn't make my comment any more accurate. :lol:

Sometimes a little coffee helps to wake up those little gray cells :coffee: or :tea:

I don't think that Beatrice's words diminish Anne, especially considering that Anne said something similar when she was in her 20s. Back then Anne in an interview said something along the lines that she wasn't a typical princess and she would be doing things in her way. When she agreed to be President of the UK Save the Children in 1970 Anne agreed on the condition that she would be a 'hands on' president and according to those who work with her she is. She does do the ribbon cutting but also the more involved meetings and fieldwork. A journalist who accompanied both Anne on a Save the Children trip and Diana on an orphanage trip described the differences like this. Anne arrived at the orphanage she was due to visit and straight away talked to staff about what issues they had, was the santitation satisfactory. Diana went straight to the child and had her photo taken. Anne refuses to have her photo taken holding children, as she puts it 'having a photo taken with me will make no difference to this child's life, the work when I go home will"
Anne is a very different princess to what Alexandra is, and Princess Margaret ( and Princess in Elizabeth in her day) and even Princess Mary were. So Beatrice will be different. Upbringing does come into it, of course Beatrice's upbringing is very different to what Anne's was, Anne was the daughter of the monarch and grew up in Buckingham Palace. Beatrice is the granddaughter of a monarch who visits now and then. Anne's upbringing was different to Princess Margaret who was educated privately to a minimum level, Anne went to boarding school, sat ( and passed) her A-level exams. If pointing out the differences in upbringing, does that mean then that Anne's upbringing the Queen was saying she knew better than the Queen Mother who had her daughters educated privately. Or Queen Mary who kept her daughter Princess Mary close to home and isolated, until she escaped by marrying a man much older than her. Each generation is different and so is the way they are brought up, the Queen was a mother of the 50s, 60s and 70s, Sarah of the 80s and 90s, the Queen Mother the 20s, 30s and 40s, even in non royal homes, upbringing practices varied greatly in those decades.

Pic 19.11.2008

Princess Beatrice as she leaves Nobu Berkeley London, England - 19.11.08

----> Pic

Thanks for the pic iceflower. PB looks natural and pretty.

how many pairs of black shoes do you reckon she possesses?

I wonder if those huge eyes that Princess Beatrice has, means that she is short-sighted.

Some of us are just blessed with large eyes. Frankly, I find big eyes far more attractive than tiny squinting ones.

Some of us are just blessed with large eyes. Frankly, I find big eyes far more attractive than tiny squinting ones.

I think it is all about proportions and balance. In the case of Beatrice, I find neither, and the sum of the parts certainly comes across as less than what it should be.... and thats before she shoots herself in the foot by opening her mouth and talking to the press.

I was wondering if she could see her boyfriend clearly, that´s all. Some people need glasses but vanity prevents them.

I was wondering if she could see her boyfriend clearly, that´s all. Some people need glasses but vanity prevents them.
... I do think things would be a lot better for her if she had better vision (and I was not referring to mere optics!)

The topic of her goggly eyes aside, I think Beatrice has among the most beautiful hair and skin I've ever seen.

Okay, so I'm just sensitive about my bubbly eyes. As for Pss B, I agree w rmay286 about B's skin and hair! Esp. that red hair.

Okay, so I'm just sensitive about my bubbly eyes.
My MIL has bubbly eyes and they suit her quite nicely as I'm sure yours do as well, Bella and Beas. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom