The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Gentry

Oh, God, I know my comment might cause quite a stir, but she is turning into quite the jetsetter. And that is not a good thing...

Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcra View Post
Oh, God, I know my comment might cause quite a stir, but she is turning into quite the jetsetter. And that is not a good thing...
If she's paying her way during the jetsetting and she travels on commercial flights - I see nothing wrong with that. There have been no stories of Beatrice getting free flights anyway, so why is her travelling not a good thing?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Gentry

Nothing wrong at all... To each their own. But I think that is the kind of thing that brings so much criticism to the Yorks. People - myself included will not care if she is paying or not. The point is I think she should be doing something more productive with her time. Like getting a job or start helping out on the "family business"

Just my opinion anyway...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Speaking as someone from across the Pond, that strikes me as a particularly British thing. It seems to be part of the culture to be self-deprecating, along with "mustn't grumble."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Intestingly, in person, he spends a lot of time claiming that he doesn't understand the finer points of business or the corporate world etc. I have even sat in on a meeting with him when he claimed he could not even operate a calculator.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcra View Post
Nothing wrong at all... To each their own. But I think that is the kind of thing that brings so much criticism to the Yorks. People - myself included will not care if she is paying or not. The point is I think she should be doing something more productive with her time. Like getting a job or start helping out on the "family business"

Just my opinion anyway...
I accept that if her grandmother wants her to, she should start engagements. I also think that if that is not the case, she should find something to do. But even I will admit the events she has been doing lately promote the royal family in a new light, not as the people in their ivory castle.

You really don't care if Beatrice gets free flights to fly to New Mexico, San Francisco and LA? Or back to England on the same day?
Well yes your opinion but a lot of people, more than those who don't, will care a huge amount if she's paying her own way or not.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Plus there's never been any indication that she's taken illicit drugs or engaged in wild parties--which is part of the implication of the word "jet-setter."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If she's paying her way during the jetsetting and she travels on commercial flights - I see nothing wrong with that. There have been no stories of Beatrice getting free flights anyway, so why is her travelling not a good thing?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I accept that if her grandmother wants her to, she should start engagements. I also think that if that is not the case, she should find something to do. But even I will admit the events she has been doing lately promote the royal family in a new light, not as the people in their ivory castle.

You really don't care if Beatrice gets free flights to fly to New Mexico, San Francisco and LA? Or back to England on the same day?
Well yes your opinion but a lot of people, more than those who don't, will care a huge amount if she's paying her own way or not.
You're right, I do care. I assume she is paying her herself so I didn't go there... But this events she is attending... I think this is the wrong move - to me it doesn't say "Royals are cool" it says "Royals do nothing and spend people's money". I hate to make comparisons but if she took the Zara road, and said: "look, I want to be a private citizen", then by all means do whatever you want, whenever you want. But if your dad is insisting that you have security at all time, than you better step up and do something do earn it. I realize that tis might be a problem caused by Andrew and not Beatrice herself. But she is 23 years-old and needs to start making decisions about her own life
The thing with Beatrice is that I keep hoping that she would step up and be prove her worth, that she is different from "Mom" and "Dad". I have too much faith in her, I guess. I keep getting disappointed
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts that have nothing to do with Beatrice's Current Events have been deleted as OFF TOPIC.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Serene Highness

Perception is everything, imo. Pss B is often seen jetting here or there for a party or a special event. Whether she is footing the bill for these costs (which I doubt) or not isn't what is going to come across to the public, I'm afraid. As a member of the BRF, I think she should be more sensitive to what the ordinary person is going through during these tough financial times, rather than (unintentionally, I'm sure) seeming to flaunt her lavish and priviledged lifestyle. I think a good mix of Pss B doing volunteer work and/or starting some sort of job, coupled with the more glamourous photos of her nights on the town and her travels would make for better PR. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Weren't Dave and Bea in NM as part of Virgin's space travel ventures or something similar?

I would imagine that as Dave is an employee of Virgin, they most likely flew the Virgin airlines and the expenses of the trip picked up by the company.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Yes but one would ask why the company would pay for the additional ticket for someone who isn't even married to said employee. How many members of the company brought their wives/husbands, let alone their girl/boyfriends to that?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure that Dave would be well-off enough for pay for Beatrice's ticket, assuming that she didn't buy it herself.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

People forget her life is not as easy as it seems.We should'nt judge her too harshly.

It's not like she's 30 and she's "doing nothing"
Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 AM
Majesty

Sure she has been out of uni now for about 4 months and others in the same circumstances are starting work but she has some private income so she can take a bit of time to decide what she wants to do.

If she is still only doing this sort of thing in a year's time I will assume that she is going to be simply the waste of space that many have already classed her as being but I am prepared to give her a bit more time to decide on a future career for herself.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm sure that Dave would be well-off enough for pay for Beatrice's ticket, assuming that she didn't buy it herself.

The company might consider the expense justified, by the PR they'll get from Beatrice's presence.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Aristocracy

Does Beatrice have security guards when she travels? If not, then it is really her business who pays for all her holidays. But if she does and the British people are paying for them, then it's time that she stayed home and did something worthwhile with her time.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

It is my understanding that she and her sister are no longer protected by the Royal Protection Squad. I guess her father pays the salaries for the witless wonders (Private Protection) that tag along now. Unless, that is, she's ditched them!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Majesty

Reading about the recent visit Eugenie made with her father to a leisure centre the following was stated Andrew hopes to justify his daughters’ guards by taking them on charity visits – he also took Eugenie to a hospital, for example – to prove they are earning their protection (one bodyguard each, at an estimated cost of £250,000 a year per princess). which would suggest that the girls still have security. Prince Andrew STILL insists on helicopters and guards for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie | Mail Online This was only on the 22nd October this year.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Reading about the recent visit Eugenie made with her father to a leisure centre the following was stated Andrew hopes to justify his daughters’ guards by taking them on charity visits – he also took Eugenie to a hospital, for example – to prove they are earning their protection (one bodyguard each, at an estimated cost of £250,000 a year per princess). which would suggest that the girls still have security. Prince Andrew STILL insists on helicopters and guards for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie | Mail Online This was only on the 22nd October this year.
Oh dear, it seems that leopards really can't change their spots. These girls seem to be being used by both parents. It is difficult to see how smiling for photo ops at the bedside of some poor sufferer, every now and again, can be the justification for this huge expense.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Oh dear, it seems that leopards really can't change their spots. These girls seem to be being used by both parents. It is difficult to see how smiling for photo ops at the bedside of some poor sufferer, every now and again, can be the justification for this huge expense.
And one really has to question what a terrorist would gain from going after these girls. They are not really national symbols (like Lord Mountbatten was), not really important for the line of succession as long as their cousins are alive.... So personally I don't see why they are considered targets who need personal protection. My, I'd love to have personal protection, too, when I travel the Munich Metro by night but then any woman would like that! And I don't even think these girls travel by night on public transport but hail taxis, so where's the danger?