The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
No one, including the DM and its readers, envies anyone spending their time in the cold and wind and rain of Scotland. Even the DM cannot manufacture a story that makes Balmoral seem glamorous. Ibiza, or the Riviera now theres a location the DM can really whip up a good yarn about.
But that's the exact point. If Anne can sail around Scotland on a 500k yacht, why should Beatrice be hounded for going on holiday just because it happens to be somewhere warm?

I'm sure the headline Anne spends 500k on royal yacht to sail around Scotland for 3 months would get noticed.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Because people like to imagine themselves on vacation somewhere warm like Ibiza or the Riviera and are envious of those who do holiday there. Few dream of stalking, hiking or fishing along Deeside or of sleeping in a castle with no central heating so you need a hotwater bottle to keep warm at night as their ideal vacation.
A holiday may be a holiday but some holidays are more enviable than others, and the DM is unlikely to point out that the beaches at Ibiza or Marbella or the Riviera or Greece or Cyprus are filled with regular ordinary Brits on holiday in the sunshine. Much better to write up a story suggesting Beatrice is doing something extraordinary (and wrong) by being in a warm place on holiday.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Courtier

The problem is that the media have spent years hailing Anne as the hardest working royal etc etc so then if they start reporting she's gone on holiday and start critising her for it it would open them up to critisism. The same can not be said for Beatrice and indeed all the grandchildren as they have private work commitments (in the military or 'regular' jobs). This means they aren't seen doing royal work very often so it becomes easier to critise them without the public thinking straight away "well they work hard".
Also I have to agree with NGalitzine, we'd all love to jet off to the South of France to a luxury yacht for a holiday, or an idilic chateau in France or a stunning home in Mustique but would we all want to sail around wet and windy Scotland? No thanks...
Personally I do believe the British public have a (unfair) sense of fairness in these matters, they allow the older royals who've 'earned their stripes' to get away with more than the younger generation.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry to burst your excitement bubble but it says she's given up her job to focus on her existing and new patronages. She's swapped one job, for several. I don't quite no what you mean by "run about" because it's been explained numerous times that her holidays, evenings out and royal events came out of allotted holiday and lunch hours.

How'd you figure? Is it Dave forcing her to give her job so she can be a stay at home mum?
What did the palace say when William and Kate married? I thought there was some announcement that Kate would gradually take on royal patronages and meanwhile focus on her role as William's wife. She definitely wasn't going to be working full-time. I was thinking that if Beatrice were getting married, the palace could say something similar...that she would gradually take on royal patronages and support her husband in some of the causes he takes on for Richard Branson's company. (I think there have been some fundraisers involving Dave Clark and the Bransons.)

I was trying to think of explanations for why Beatrice might have left her job without having another one. Maybe she does have another job and we don't know about it. But she isn't a full-time royal; I think there was even an announcement to that effect recently. I think she would have to be a VERY visible full-time royal if she wanted to quit her job and avoid criticism from the press. Well, and maybe even that wouldn't work...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Few dream of stalking, hiking or fishing along Deeside or of sleeping in a castle with no central heating so you need a hotwater bottle to keep warm at night as their ideal vacation.
Balmoral has electricity so surely an electric blanket might be the way to go rather than a hottie.

Re holidaying in Scotland, i went there for a week last May; it was beautiful weather and Iona was just stunning; rather go there than Ibiza any day. (PS; i went on a 16person bus tour and of the 16 people when offered a choice between Balmoral (which wasn't supposed to be on the trip) and whisky tasting (which was) all 16 wanted to go to Balmoral. So we did. And it was wonderful.

Re Princess Beatrice; i hope these rumours about her and Dave getting engaged will one day prove true, and i'm glad Sarah gets to go to Balmoral every now and then.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

No one in this family works full time, if at all. They never packed a suitcase, know what it is like to have to make arrangements, to take care of children, parents, they do not shop, cook or sew. Anne does give a lot to her chore, but most of them glide by with what looks like a contribution of time, but what else can they do. Very little.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Nobility

When it was reported that she had the job w/ the venture capital firm it was said that she had to pass a finance test to keep that job. When we didn't read anything about her passing that exam I suspected she had not and thus that job didn't work out. But this is one article and who knows whether she is or is not working for pay. Tomorrow we may see an article that she's been working for several months and passed the exam.
The difference between Anne and Beatrice is that Anne is the daughter of the Queen whereas Beatrice is destined to be the niece of and then the cousin of Kings. Plus Anne has never acted like she cared one way or another for public recognition, Anne has probably saved enough in recycled fashion to pay for her sailboat (just kidding) the perception of Anne is that she is not extravagant-although w/ her passion for horses I'm sure she spends a good chunk of change. Anne distinguished herself as a hardworking horsewoman so people don't perceive her to be a parasite. Finally Anne has a body of work both royal commitments and her riding whereas Beatrice is young and has yet to demonstrate a willingness to work hard - I suspect she is still searching for her niche and it can't be easy w/ the scrutiny she gets. I do think if it emerges that she has been unemployed for awhile that will not go well - it will seem as if facts were being hidden, even tho' it's really nobody's business.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, Anne, has done her share of what would be expected. More so. I, think she cares. Maybe it is a façade. But it looks like she cares. I, believe, her horses, are her business. She pay for them, it is her choice. The York girls look rudderless. Ugly, expensive clothes and no particular vocation. Not that that will ever matter for them.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
No one in this family works full time, if at all. They never packed a suitcase, know what it is like to have to make arrangements, to take care of children, parents, they do not shop, cook or sew. Anne does give a lot to her chore, but most of them glide by with what looks like a contribution of time, but what else can they do. Very little.
I must have missed the part where the military work part time "if at all".

William and Harry currently have jobs that are no different to the jobs performed by other servicemen and women from the UK. I'm also fairly sure that Harry didn't have a valet in Afghanistan with him to pack his suitcase when he deployed home.

As has been clearly demonstrated by the number of sightings of her (and criticisms of her), Catherine is a very keen shopper. Camilla may not cook now (she may) but she has in the past according to her son.

As Camilla, Catherine and Sophie grew up without staff, I'd bet every one of them has cooked a meal, shopped and at least sewed on a button at some stage in the their lives.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Princess Beatrice Becomes Patron of Ethiopian School for Orphans http://t.co/JaGEwdqLEE

Love that she is picking up, slowly but steadily, her royal role.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

SEPTEMBER 09: Princess Beatrice (bottom right) attends the men's singles final match between Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Rafael Nadal of Spain on Day Fifteen of the 2013 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 9, 2013 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City.

ANP picture
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Courtier

IMO, Beatrice is being unfairly judged.

Reasons she may not be currently working.

She is joining her sister in America. (Already has new job in America.)
She is getting married. (Secretly planning wedding.)
She is taking over more patronages. (Fulltime royal per Queen's wishes.)
She wants to spend more time with her family & friends.
Or maybe baby?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Nobility

I't is EXTREMELY unlikely Beatrice is pregnant... {her grandmother would have apoplexy}.. that is the sort of thing the Grimaldi's do, NOT inner members of the Windsor family.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Courtier

It's been made pretty clear Beatrice is not going to be a full time working Royal. The patronages etc she is doing are not part of Official Royal Duties. Why would she need to go to America? Her sister has a job there not Beatrice besides she is at the tennis without her sister. Most people I know are more then competant in working and planning a wedding. You forgot another option Beatrice isn't interested in working and likes the life of holidays and parties and showing up places. She has the money her father pays her rent and probably other bills she doesn't have to work. I would rather she be honest about it instead of all this Beatrice wants to be a career girl her actions have said otherwise. I doubt she would be silly enough to get pregnant.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure why the pregnancy thing is SO horrific, it's not unheard of, and all Beatrice would have to do to legitimise the child would be to marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
. I would rather she be honest about it instead of all this Beatrice wants to be a career girl her actions have said otherwise. .
Should she do a full blown interview claiming she plans to life off her father forever, not work and party 24/7? Ridiculous. You're not going to get any confirmation of job or no job etc. Her actions, in your eyes, whereas to other people we're a little more open minded. I'd care more about seeing William work than Beatrice.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Courtier

I think that Beatrice is slowly, but surely, accepting additional patronages because the reality of needing royal relatives to handle the load is becoming more and more apparent. There is no way you can go from about 15-20 royals (I think the current # is some where in there) handling various patronages and appearances to only 3-4. It's ridiculous. A slimmed down monarchy is one thing -- an anorexic one is quite another. So, all the Andrew and family haters will have to direct their anger elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I think that Beatrice is slowly, but surely, accepting additional patronages because the reality of needing royal relatives to handle the load is becoming more and more apparent. There is no way you can go from about 15-20 royals (I think the current # is some where in there) handling various patronages and appearances to only 3-4. It's ridiculous. A slimmed down monarchy is one thing -- an anorexic one is quite another. So, all the Andrew and family haters will have to direct their anger elsewhere.
How do you figure 3-4? Curious.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

How do you figure 3-4? Curious.
Well 3 would be HM King Charles, Queen Camilla, Prince William, four would be adding Catherine. I personally would include Henry, Edward and Sophie. Anne and Andrew both have to take steps down eventually.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well 3 would be HM King Charles, Queen Camilla, Prince William, four would be adding Catherine. I personally would include Henry, Edward and Sophie. Anne and Andrew both have to take steps down eventually.
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Until they step down all those and the Gloucesters and the Kents (4 more).