The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #581  
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,282
Lets give the girl a break. She has a proper job, and would be entitled to 4-5 weeks of leave a year. Its summer, most of the financial world here in Europe is largely on "go-slow" because of the summer holiday. Why can she not enjoy a few days in the sun? Unlike families with young children, many young professionals take a few long weekends off over the summer, followed by a longer break outside of the school holiday period.
__________________

__________________
  #582  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Who does she come across to as a spoiled rich girl? You? The Daily Mail readership?

To me, she is a girl on holiday in the French Riveria, in summer. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that? She is allowed time off you. "Playing at a job" Jeez.

Yes, me. And the DM readership, and apparently also others in this forum.

It's all in the way she's presented, as needing a break on the Riviera when she was there just last month. The article also shows her on a yacht with her friends, which gives an impression of luxury and wealth.
I could also find dozens of pictures of Beatrice at clubs and society events.

But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.
Or even the name of the finance company where she works?
__________________

__________________
  #583  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 943
Give it a rest! You can get to the Riviera rather quickly from London for a weekend jaunt, unless you are suggesting that she should work through the weekend?

BTW, she does look much thinner than I thought she would in a bikini. Good for her! I'm sure her detractors will have something nasty to say about that.
__________________
  #584  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I appreciate you like her very much and she seems like a sweet girl who as done alot but everyone is entitled to their view point and mine is she is still finding or trying to find a place or herself-she is a minor royal with no set future and no real role with money at her disposal. Of course fair or not many people are going to see her as a the rich girl with awful hats and bad ĉlothes who works when she wants.to not be seen that way she has to change her image one way or other which I believe she is.

Do you mean that Beatrice has no real money? And how do you know that? I would be interested in your source.

Beatrice is the granddaughter of the Queen and it has been suggested that the late Queen Mother said aside money for her great grand children. In addition, following the divorce of Sarah and Andrew, money was put aside for Beatrice and Eugenie We only have a guess on what the Queen, Charles and William and Harry (because of Diana's will being public) are actually worth in regards to monetary numbers. We don't know for sure. So we don't know how much Andrew, Beatrice or Eugenie do or don't have.

But I am guessing neither York girl is hurting for money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes, me. And the DM readership, and apparently also others in this forum.

It's all in the way she's presented, as needing a break on the Riviera when she was there just last month. The article also shows her on a yacht with her friends, which gives an impression of luxury and wealth.
I could also find dozens of pictures of Beatrice at clubs and society events.

But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.
Or even the name of the finance company where she works?
Sorry but the DM readership is hardly a true representation of the British. They complain about everything! They complain when Beatrice goes on vacation, when she goes out at night (while in school and out of it), when she is reporting to be working, when she gets a job (she took it from someone who really needs it), when she graduated, surely she didn't earn her degree, when she did her internships, when she goes to church with her grandparents, when she takes a patronage, etc.

In short they remind me of some of the TRFers who take issue with everything Beatrice does! And apparently, even TRFers don't know everything...I totally forgot that Europeans tend to get more time off for a vacation..so of course she is on vacation again, she gets a good two to three more weeks than we do!

What is this fascination with knowing the name of the finance company where Beatrice works?

The Yorks are rich and connected young girls. People need to deal with it.
__________________
.

  #585  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,329
I think everyone just have to accept the reality that the royals goes on vacation. Right now there are other European royals who are on vacation or have already been on vacation. There's nothing wrong with that.

Next time I want Bea and Dave to call me so I can go with them though. Looks like they are having fun.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
  #586  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 500
Sorry that was a silly typo-my keyboard is full of gremlins �� of course she has money, more than I will ever see!
__________________
  #587  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes, me. And the DM readership, and apparently also others in this forum.

It's all in the way she's presented, as needing a break on the Riviera when she was there just last month. The article also shows her on a yacht with her friends, which gives an impression of luxury and wealth.
I could also find dozens of pictures of Beatrice at clubs and society events.

But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.
Or even the name of the finance company where she works?
I agree Mirabel it is all about the way she's presented. The DM invites the negative comments with their headlines and descriptions. The facts are we don't know the details of her contract or exactly how long her breaks abroad last. For example, royal occasions are annual, traditional events, perhaps because of her unique position maybe her employers have agreed that she doesn't have to use annual leave to attend such occasions.
I think the palace or her parents should have released a statement when she took up her employment clarifying the situation, e.g. her employers don't want press/media attention at their place of work, and thus steps/precautions will be made to avoid bringing her place of work into the public domain (if that is the situation).

Unfortunately for Beatrice we will probably have more of the same next month when it's reported she is on holiday in Balmoral, and possibly her usual trip to Spain with her family.
__________________
  #588  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I agree Mirabel it is all about the way she's presented. The DM invites the negative comments with their headlines and descriptions. The facts are we don't know the details of her contract or exactly how long her breaks abroad last. For example, royal occasions are annual, traditional events, perhaps because of her unique position maybe her employers have agreed that she doesn't have to use annual leave to attend such occasions.
I think the palace or her parents should have released a statement when she took up her employment clarifying the situation, e.g. her employers don't want press/media attention at their place of work, and thus steps/precautions will be made to avoid bringing her place of work into the public domain (if that is the situation).

Unfortunately for Beatrice we will probably have more of the same next month when it's reported she is on holiday in Balmoral, and possibly her usual trip to Spain with her family.
If that was the case and if we lived in a perfect world that would be ideal. Unfortunately we live in this world.

Beatrice could explain her working conditions (i.e. hours/days) and people would scream that she is receiving preferential treatment.

If she didn't work, and just lived the jet set life people would complain that she wasn't contributing to society. Even the people who don't contribute anything society.

If she tried to focus on charities, you would hear (cause you certainly read it in her threads) that she or her father are determined that she is a working member of the Firm.

She can't win.
__________________
.

  #589  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If that was the case and if we lived in a perfect world that would be ideal. Unfortunately we live in this world.

Beatrice could explain her working conditions (i.e. hours/days) and people would scream that she is receiving preferential treatment.

If she didn't work, and just lived the jet set life people would complain that she wasn't contributing to society. Even the people who don't contribute anything society.

If she tried to focus on charities, you would hear (cause you certainly read it in her threads) that she or her father are determined that she is a working member of the Firm.

She can't win.
Zonk you are right, and when you state it so clearly she can't win.
However unfair it might be it appears many people just don't believe there is a job, I was just trying to think of a way of taking that accusation away.
__________________
  #590  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Do you mean that Beatrice has no real money? And how do you know that? I would be interested in your source.

Beatrice is the granddaughter of the Queen and it has been suggested that the late Queen Mother said aside money for her great grand children. ...

But I am guessing neither York girl is hurting for money.

I've bolded the part that I'm curious about - I would be interested in sources for the 'suggestion' that the Queen mother left funds to her great grand children which would include Zara, Peter, William, Harry and Edward's children as well as Princess Margaret's grand children. I have read that she left money to her grandchildren, but have not seen this suggested in regards to her great grandchildren. Ultimately, of course, the girls will inherit from their father whatever funds he received and still has from his grandmother. I have read that when Andrew and Sarah divorced, funds where put into trust for the girls by the Queen as part of their parent's divorce settlement.
__________________
  #591  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,673
I have had former students who have taken jobs in the UK for a year or more with the sole purpose of spending the weekends doing what Beatrice could be doing - spending the weekends visiting places in Europe - they may not go to the same place all the time but they do go to places like the south of France for a weekend, or skiing for a weekend, or to Paris for a weekend.

Dave, we know, has a full-time job so no doubt they only go on 'holidays' when he gets leave and I have no reason to believe that Beatrice does the same. We had reports back in January that she was being briefed by government officials during her lunch-breaks before representing the country in Berlin and that the two days she was there were taken as days leave from work. Most of the time that we see her have been on weekends or at night events.

Weekdays that we have seen out and about and not working have been for The Coronation Service, Chelsea Flower Show, Ascot and Trooping the Colour and the trip to France last month.
__________________
  #592  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I've bolded the part that I'm curious about - I would be interested in sources for the 'suggestion' that the Queen mother left funds to her great grand children which would include Zara, Peter, William, Harry and Edward's children as well as Princess Margaret's grand children. I have read that she left money to her grandchildren, but have not seen this suggested in regards to her great grandchildren. Ultimately, of course, the girls will inherit from their father whatever funds he received and still has from his grandmother. I have read that when Andrew and Sarah divorced, funds where put into trust for the girls by the Queen as part of their parent's divorce settlement.

It was reported shortly after she died in many press reports that The Queen Mother left money for her great-grandchildren

BBC News | UK | Princes share in Queen Mother's estate In 1994, it is reported she put aside two-thirds of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren.
Princess Anne's children Zara and Peter Phillips and Prince Andrew's daughters Beatrice and Eugenie together with Princess Margaret's children Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will also receive a cash gift.
__________________
  #593  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
The trust by the Queen Mother was put aside in 1994, and was exempt from death duties as she died within seven years of making the trust.

From what I gleamed while surfing...she put aside 14 to 19 million pounds for her great grandchildren, so William, Harry, Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie benefited from this. Louise and Jams did not since they were not born yet. Beatrice and Eugenie's trust was 3 million pounds each from their Great Grandmother.

The Queen established a trust as part of the York divorce....3 million (I think spilt between the girls)...I imagine this would have increased in value as well. They could could access the trust when they turned 18...so Beatrice could access it in 2006.

According to some net worth cites, Bea is worth about 6 million but I am thinking she is worth a little more than that.

Let's put this way...she isn't working cause she needs to pay the rent. And she isn't paying her rent this month because she decided to go on a trip to France.
__________________
.

  #594  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,329
Something I would like to do in the future. Leave something behind for my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I'm sure William, Harry, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are happy and grateful that their great-grandmother thought of them before her passing.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
  #595  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Let's put this way...she isn't working cause she needs to pay the rent. And she isn't paying her rent this month because she decided to go on a trip to France.

I don't know about you but when I rented property I had to pay the rent whether I was there or on holiday.

In addition she doesn't pay the rent - Andrew does.

We also don't know how long her trip to France is - a weekend, a week or what.
__________________
  #596  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't know about you but when I rented property I had to pay the rent whether I was there or on holiday.

In addition she doesn't pay the rent - Andrew does.

We also don't know how long her trip to France is - a weekend, a week or what.
When I referenced rent I was speaking about her permanent accommodations...not where she is staying on her trip. Yes, I was aware that Andrew paid her rent.

I would imagine that if she in France she is paying for her accommodations or staying at a friend's place. When I did a mini vacation (a weekend trip) to the Hampton's, I stayed at a friends house...and I only had to pay to eat and drink...and a nice thank you gift!
__________________
.

  #597  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Missymew2's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 4
My husband and I have made two adopted granddaughters (age 15 and 13) and a young man (age 25) our heirs. We think highly of these three young people, and when we are gone they are free to do as they please with the funds. We love them unconditionally and hope others will not judge their life choices.

I'm going to introduce myself in the introduction forum shortly.
__________________
  #598  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It was reported shortly after she died in many press reports that The Queen Mother left money for her great-grandchildren

BBC News | UK | Princes share in Queen Mother's estate In 1994, it is reported she put aside two-thirds of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren.
Princess Anne's children Zara and Peter Phillips and Prince Andrew's daughters Beatrice and Eugenie together with Princess Margaret's children Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will also receive a cash gift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The trust by the Queen Mother was put aside in 1994, and was exempt from death duties as she died within seven years of making the trust.

From what I gleamed while surfing...she put aside 14 to 19 million pounds for her great grandchildren, so William, Harry, Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie benefited from this. Louise and Jams did not since they were not born yet. Beatrice and Eugenie's trust was 3 million pounds each from their Great Grandmother.

The Queen established a trust as part of the York divorce....3 million (I think spilt between the girls)...I imagine this would have increased in value as well. They could could access the trust when they turned 18...so Beatrice could access it in 2006.

According to some net worth cites, Bea is worth about 6 million but I am thinking she is worth a little more than that.
According to the BBC article referenced Harry and William were to split 6 mil @ age 21 and 8 mil. @ age 40. I would assume Beatrice and Eugenie were to get like sums at the same ages. Presumably the values cited by the BBC were in 1994 dollars and w/ normal conservative investment returns these amounts should now be much larger, for example, 3 mil. invested in 1994 for 16 yrs w/ a 5% rate of return would be 6.5 mil. when Beatrice turned 21. If the rate of return was 7% over those 16 yrs. then that 3 mil would have grown to 8.8 mil+. Note these numbers are in dollars.
It is possible to establish trusts for not yet born children here in the states and I assume in England as well (as long as you don't violate the rule against perpetuities) so trusts may have been set up for Prince Edward's future children by the Queen Mother, thus Louise and James may be provided for as well.
__________________
  #599  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If that was the case and if we lived in a perfect world that would be ideal. Unfortunately we live in this world.

Beatrice could explain her working conditions (i.e. hours/days) and people would scream that she is receiving preferential treatment.

If she didn't work, and just lived the jet set life people would complain that she wasn't contributing to society. Even the people who don't contribute anything society.

If she tried to focus on charities, you would hear (cause you certainly read it in her threads) that she or her father are determined that she is a working member of the Firm.

She can't win.
Maybe according to public opinion she can't win but to be honest, does she really need to care about public opinion? As far as for Beatrice "finding her way" in the world as another poster has mentioned, I think she's doing a heck of a lot better at it than the majority of 20-25 year old females. Of course, she's had the connections and the means to back her up but motivation and the get up and go is all her and I think she's got herself in a good spot right now. I've mentioned before that she's in a position now where she can be pretty assured of herself. She's a university graduate. She's reported to be working in finance. She's exhibited that she can very well take on charities and patronages and should the Firm need her, she's experienced. She seems to be in a stable, long term relationship and could opt out even to be just a full time wife and mother when the time comes. She knows how to have fun and has friends to do it with.

Sounds to me like she's already won.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #600  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.
Or even the name of the finance company where she works?
I think those that need to know are aware of where she works. I suspect the press knows where she works as well, but just not dare publish a picture.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York: September 27-28, 2013 dazzling Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 16 10-07-2013 07:28 PM
Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 9: July 2013 - October 2013 dazzling Archives 395 10-05-2013 07:40 AM
Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 1: July 2011 - September 2011 iceflower Archives 392 09-10-2011 03:45 AM
Princess Mathilde's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: July 2010 - February 2011 JessRulz Archives 385 02-27-2011 08:25 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]