Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 14: July 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
University students are taught to critically think, research, write, etc. An undergraduate degree is simply the base requirement to get any decent job these days. Regardless of the degree, employers just want to hire a smart college grad with good common sense and excellent communication/people skills so they can teach them their business.

True in theory, but in practice?
I'm not so sure. Far too many graduates can't string two sentences together, or know any basic spelling or grammar, let alone have excellent communication skills.
And it doesn't require much intelligence to get a degree; just think of all those online places offering advanced degrees from an Ivy League school. In two weeks. Without leaving your house!! :lol:)

But I'm veering off topic; time will tell what Beatrice does in her life. I imagine she will use her title to open doors, and I can't fault her for that. Anyone would do the same.

What I can see happening is that if Princess Beatrice gets a real, paying job, regardless of what it is, certain segments of the press will say she only received said job because of her title and not her qualifications, and that said job should have gone to someone "more deserving" i.e. anyone but Beatrice. The press said the same thing about The Duke of York's military career, The Duke of Cambridge's university placement and military career, Prince Harry's military career etc. The press also attacked Lord Linley when he started his furniture business, saying he was cashing in on his "royal connections" and even went after Zara's equestrian career at one point. And we all know what happened when the Wessexes tried to work outside of royal engagements...

There's absolutely NO WAY Beatrice or Eugenie can win. They are the Queen's grandchildren and everyone knows it. Either they will be "spongers living off the public" (i.e. royal engagements) or they'll be "taking away a job from someone who really needs it." :ermm: Again, they just can't win.

I think she will avoid it all and marry soon.

To be honest that is what I'm thinking. Time will tell. If she does get a job if she sticks to it and is good at it then the press will shut up. It depends on where and what sort of job she gets. If it is something above what most new graduates with no actual experience working in whatever field can get they certainly will make a big deal about it. If it is a normal entry level, low paid role that any other graduate would be offered then it won't be so bad. A lot is going to depend on what she gets. Although I think she may marry the only problem is that most don't think she will for another couple of years and she can't not do anything! The palace have said she won't be doing Royal Duties so that isn't an option. If she waits too long to get something and is pictured on holiday and going out a lot then the press will jump then too. She is in a hard place but she also has a lot more perks and connections then the average graduate does as well. Maybe Virgin will hire her....

The real difficulty that I think Beatrice will find is the fact that once you commit to a job, the holidays that you get [around 25 days a year] seem pretty restrictive after university and school. Two weeks (say) with Dave in the summer, 10 days ski-ingduring the Winter, the occasional 'long weekend' and BANG!!!! you are suddenly 'out of leave'!

Perhaps that is another blessing about Beatrice not having a 'Royal Career'. Already, some of the 'respectable' broadsheet newspapers are pointing out that Prince William's Service career [where great efforts have been made by all parties to (commendably) 'treat him the same as everyone else'] is going to suffer if he [and Catherine] are going to be called on to undertake Royal Tours every so often. With his own wedding, honeymoon, tour of the US and Canada and the projected tour later this year, William is soon going to find that he used up all his Service leave [he is presumably going to be present at the wedding of his cousin Zara in a few days' time]. Beatrice would find great difficulty in combining Royal duties with a career.

Just my thoughts,
Alex

I agree both of Prince Andrews daughters are in a difficult spot and will always be criticised in some way or another. Fergie has had numerous problems to deal with and possibly has not given the right guidance when needed, more especially when it comes to Beatrice and Eugenie. To emerge from a broken marriage/family especially when one which was so much in the limelight cannot have been easy. As for the way they dress at official occasions certainly leaves a lot to be desired. However, I should think that they are both now old enough to make some good and responsible decisions with the guidance of their father. Their cousin Zara along with other royals are proving to make a successes of their lives, so it is not too late for Beatrice and Eugene.

The real difficulty that I think Beatrice will find is the fact that once you commit to a job, the holidays that you get [around 25 days a year] seem pretty restrictive after university and school. Two weeks (say) with Dave in the summer, 10 days ski-ingduring the Winter, the occasional 'long weekend' and BANG!!!! you are suddenly 'out of leave'!

Perhaps that is another blessing about Beatrice not having a 'Royal Career'. Already, some of the 'respectable' broadsheet newspapers are pointing out that Prince William's Service career [where great efforts have been made by all parties to (commendably) 'treat him the same as everyone else'] is going to suffer if he [and Catherine] are going to be called on to undertake Royal Tours every so often. With his own wedding, honeymoon, tour of the US and Canada and the projected tour later this year, William is soon going to find that he used up all his Service leave [he is presumably going to be present at the wedding of his cousin Zara in a few days' time]. Beatrice would find great difficulty in combining Royal duties with a career.

Just my thoughts,
Alex

How is Sophie, Countess of Wessex dealing with this matter? I think she is working, no?

Generally speaking, I think that most of these persons get jobs in a "consultant" level, allowing them to be absent when they want. Or they create their own company, they are boss, so they are free.
Very few of royal rich people have real salary jobs, with maximum holidays and 35 or 40 hours per week.

TWith his own wedding, honeymoon, tour of the US and Canada and the projected tour later this year, William is soon going to find that he used up all his Service leave [he is presumably going to be present at the wedding of his cousin Zara in a few days' time].

It is much easier for William as he serves 24-hour shifts which mean that with two days of work he has not only fulfilled a week's duty but the right to another day (t.i: 8 hours) off the next week. So with 4x 24 hours shifts he for example served the time he spent in Canada/California. The one to pity is in fact Catherine, who is without her husband for long hours and then has to cope with a over-tired man when he is home, but that's a schedule a lot of wifes of people working in emergency rescue services have to cope with and manage it without problems.

It is much easier for William as he serves 24-hour shifts which mean that with two days of work he has not only fulfilled a week's duty but the right to another day (t.i: 8 hours) off the next week. So with 4x 24 hours shifts he for example served the time he spent in Canada/California. The one to pity is in fact Catherine, who is without her husband for long hours and then has to cope with a over-tired man when he is home, but that's a schedule a lot of wifes of people working in emergency rescue services have to cope with and manage it without problems.

Right. And since the begining Catherine gave the impression to be coldheaded and accept all her duties/obligations, in a very positive way

Right. And since the begining Catherine gave the impression to be coldheaded and accept all her duties/obligations, in a very positive way

Also, I don't see Kate as the clingy type of wife. She's known William long enough that these long shifts won't phase her one bit as she knows that when he is home, he's not going to eat, shower, then have to sleep to get back on duty the next day. Kate also knows how much William loves what he is doing right now. It may have bothered Diana and Sarah at the beginning of their marriages that their men were called away, but I really don't think this will be a problem for Kate at all.

My husband used to work 24 and 36 hour shifts at times when he was in emergency transport and to be honest, I liked it. Made food for me that I like and he doesn't. Had total control of the TV remote or could have total quiet to read a book and generally have my own alone time. :D

I think she will avoid it all and marry soon.

I can't help thinking that 22 is rather young to marry!
Still, she and Dave have been together for five years now, so perhaps they consider it's time?

I was wondering if, once Beatrice graduates, will she be allowed to retain her rooms in St. James Palace, or will she be expected to vacate since she won't be a "working royal"???

I can't help thinking that 22 is rather young to marry!
Still, she and Dave have been together for five years now, so perhaps they consider it's time?

I was wondering if, once Beatrice graduates, will she be allowed to retain her rooms in St. James Palace, or will she be expected to vacate since she won't be a "working royal"???

Much doubt she'd be kicked out. No real reason to, HM still has say over that and, even if Charles is hell bent on pruning the tree, I doubt he'd go after the girls in such a manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the color and cut of Bea's dress. The bright purple is fun and striking, and the cut works well on her. I'm NOT a fan of the darn butterfly belt, but overall she looks pretty good, which makes me especially nervous for tomorrow's outfit. As a general rule, Bea does well one event and then falls flat on her face the next... fingers crossed that's changed recently.

I'm hoping all the color tonight doesn't mean we're in for a barrage of neutrals, but I'm not holding my breath.

It is a good sign for David. I loved the colour and cut of Bea's dress but the butterfly belt was too much. It should be interesting to see what she wears at the wedding I think everyone will be checking out her hat!

August 8th tomorrow.... so Beatrice's 23rd birthday, and she has been with Dave quite a long time now, who by the way found himself official enough to be on the guest list for Zara's wedding. Are any bets being placed that we may have another royal engagement. Would not surprise me in the slightest as a young bride role would suit Beatrice far more than career woman !!! Either her birthday, or christmas would be my bet.

Miss Garnett's reasoning is theoretically logical, except for the fact that I think that there will be NO royal weddings in 2012 because of the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics. Beatrice is of course probably not going to be a full time working Royal, but she is still royal........... that would rule out a Christmas Engagement and I think that if the engagment is announced tomorrow, there is not enough time to fit in a Royal wedding with the Queen's programme for the remainder of the year now mapped out....
............................which means that I do not think we will see another Royal wedding in 2011 or one at all in 2012 [reputedly the BRF wanting to get Williams's and Zara's weddings well out of the way before the Diamond Jubilee.....]

Just my thoughts,

Alex

True, but that doesn't preclude an engagement announcement, with the wedding itself scheduled sometime in 2013. Although I know the RF does not generally favor long engagements...

Let's not speculate on a Beatrice and Dave (or anyone really) engagement....if it happens...it will be announced by Buckingham Palace, and the appropriate threads will be opened.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I don't find Beatrice beautiful she can look pretty but her eyes and mouth seem so big and out of proportion. Her dress sense has improved but she always blows it somehow either with a belt or a hat. I can't work out whether it is because her teeth are so big or what it is she always has this gaping look with her mouth open and she tends to look at times like her eyes are popping out of her head. Not a natural beauty at all. Her hair is great and her new figure is good but generally she doesn't look attractive. Eugenie is far prettier to me and when she gets her dress sense right she looks really good far better and more natural a beauty then Beatrice. If Bea wasn't a Princess you wouldn't look twice at her. Of course this is my opinion as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Today with it being Beatrice's 23rd birthday, this was featured on AOL and I thought I'd share the like with all of you. When you look at the collection of photos that they've put together, Beatrice is not only a very strikingly beautiful young woman but a lot of her outfits do look great on her.

Princess Beatrice's 23rd Birthday: A Look At Her Style Then & Now (PHOTOS, POLL)

I agree - she can be a strikingly beautiful woman - particularly with those large eyes that are just so gorgeous (I wish I had eyes like that).

Her hats still could be toned down a bit but her dress sense has certainly improved and she now usually looks great - except when she has to wear a hat - when not wearing a hat she looks fab.

Her hats still could be toned down a bit but her dress sense has certainly improved and she now usually looks great - except when she has to wear a hat - when not wearing a hat she looks fab.

Maybe, just maybe, she'll watch Kate and realize that hair in itself can be a crowning glory.

Personally, you'd have to hog tie me and maybe slip me a mickey before I'd wear a hat. I've never liked them at all but that's just me. I do have to say though that when I first saw Beatrice with THAT hat on the wedding day, I had to clean my monitor. Looking at the pictures yesterday though, it really didn't look quite as bad and did fit in with the outfit.

Today with it being Beatrice's 23rd birthday, this was featured on AOL and I thought I'd share the like with all of you. When you look at the collection of photos that they've put together, Beatrice is not only a very strikingly beautiful young woman but a lot of her outfits do look great on her.

Princess Beatrice's 23rd Birthday: A Look At Her Style Then & Now (PHOTOS, POLL)
It is a genuine pleasure to see how her style has evolved over the years despite the incredible handicap of having a severely fashion-challenged mother in tow.

I love her hat choices! She will never bore me and I can always look to her for a little sartorial whimsy.

Maybe, just maybe, she'll watch Kate and realize that hair in itself can be a crowning glory.

Personally, you'd have to hog tie me and maybe slip me a mickey before I'd wear a hat. I've never liked them at all but that's just me. I do have to say though that when I first saw Beatrice with THAT hat on the wedding day, I had to clean my monitor. Looking at the pictures yesterday though, it really didn't look quite as bad and did fit in with the outfit.

I really do think if the hat had been smaller it would have been fine but it was the size that was just over the top. Had it been the size of the one she wore to Zara's wedding it would have looked good with the rest of the outfit.

Royals grow up wearing hats - it is part of the 'royal uniform' and so they wear them to church and the races etc but most of them don't wear them every day anymore.

I really hope she had a great birthday. Recent past events have been tough on her, and I wish for everyone that one day, their birthday, be happy and care-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom