The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Ok, the story about the little girl holding hands with a real Princess has me in tears. Good for Beatrice for becoming Patron. She will bring those children a ton of joy. I say the next time she goes, she takes Robert Hardy with her. He is magical with special kids, and because of All Creatures Great and Small has a special connection with Yorkshire. What else is Beatrice Patron of?
Beatrice, already patron of York Musical Society and the Helen Arkell Dyslexia centre.
I'm quoting the above from Richard Palmer's twitter account (Royal Reporter with the Daily Express).

Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Ok, the story about the little girl holding hands with a real Princess has me in tears. Good for Beatrice for becoming Patron. She will bring those children a ton of joy. I say the next time she goes, she takes Robert Hardy with her. He is magical with special kids, and because of All Creatures Great and Small has a special connection with Yorkshire. And RH and Beatrice both love Harry Potter. What else is Beatrice Patron of?
The little girl will remember this for the rest of her life, and if the memory makes her smile (which I'm sure it does), then Beatrice's work is done for the day. I wish people would understand that at times it doesn't take a lot to make a child smile; it can be some one-on-one time with a special person (and doesn't even have to be a princess, because a favorite teacher or relative will suffice), learning how to bounce a ball on a light box (and transferring the skill to bounce the teacher's arm on the light box by holding the sleeve of the shirt [it happened to me when I was observing a teacher of the visually impaired, and she let me work with a little four-year-old, who wanted to bounce a ball, but ended up putting my arm on the light box, and bouncing it, because hey, a human arm is a lot more fun, since you get the owner of the arm laughing hysterically, and encouraging you to continue), hearing a book that has been read thousands of times, you name it. This story proves that theory quite nicely.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Majesty

Bea-utiful Beatrice rules the waves as she relaxes in South of France with boyfriend Dave Clark:
Bea-utiful Beatrice rules the waves as she relaxes in South of France with boyfriend Dave Clark | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Bea and Dave were just "relaxing" on a yacht a couple of weeks ago, if memory serves me! Does she need a vacation to get over the last one?? Bea-utiful? I think not.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Bea and Dave were just "relaxing" on a yacht a couple of weeks ago, if memory serves me! Does she need a vacation to get over the last one?? Bea-utiful? I think not.
I have to remind myself that couples like Bea and Dave can go to the south of France and relax aboard a yacht like everyday folks can do a weekend getaway somewhere. Not unusual to take off after work on Friday and be back ready to work again by Monday. If they can do it... more power to them.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Courtier

Who said it was just a weekend? Bea has been on as many holidays (for a week or more) as she did when she didn't have a fulltime job. Normally you have to be somewhere 12 months before you even get vacation time. Bea has had several holidays and time off for the Royal events she has been too. It makes me wonder if she did resign from her job?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Nobility

Work is a novelty to her, something she can drop when she gets bored. When you never have to worry about anything material a full time job with people telling you what to do can be blown off if you have no real passion.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Who said it was just a weekend? Bea has been on as many holidays (for a week or more) as she did when she didn't have a fulltime job. Normally you have to be somewhere 12 months before you even get vacation time. Bea has had several holidays and time off for the Royal events she has been too. It makes me wonder if she did resign from her job?
Not in the UK you immediately start accruing holiday when you start. You can take your holiday when you want. If you leave and you have taken too much or too little holiday based on what you have accrued pro-rata your last pay is deducted/increased accordingly. A lot of companies are also allowing their staff to buy up to 2 weeks additional leave which can take entitlements up to 8 weeks plus bank holidays. This makes what Bea has taken this year so far entirely possible.

She is a beautiful young woman - leave her alone!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
What indicated to me that it could have been a weekend jaunt is that the article and pictures were published on Sunday, July 28th. I would be willing to bet if the press had these pictures and story, they'd put it out right away and not wait a few days. Another indication to me was that it was mentioned that Beatrice would meet George at Balmoral. I think the story of Will and Kate going to Balmoral also was published this weekend.

Of course I could be totally wrong but this is what seems logical to me. Dave also isn't among the "idle rich". He works for Branson's Virgin.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Nobility

I think if I had sufficient private means I would not work full-time, thus not occupying a situation that could be filled by someone who needed paid employment more than I.
And I expect that the Princess's position in itself created various employment opportunities for others.
So I hope she enjoys her free time not involved with employment or Royal duties :)
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Aristocracy

Interesting contrast between the last two stories being discussed here, and I think it's important to keep things in perspective.
The story of Beatrice's patronage of the hospice is the important one, surely - as many people commented, her presence there, spending time with those kids, showing them she cares, giving them that magical moment with royalty - that really makes a difference to them. That's what matters.
And if she's lucky enough to get to jet off to the South of France several times this summer and relax on someone's yacht... Well, why not? It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Fair play to her.
The important thing is to respect her and honour her for the genuine difference she makes to people's lives and the solid, dignified way that she represents her family and the institution of the RF. Her holidays are her own business, and I hope she had a good time.
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

I want to be a royal and go on vacations like this.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
....and have your picture taken by the paps and then sold to the tabloids and published so that people who do not know you or the facts of your life can sit around and hide behind their computers while commenting on your life??? Enjoy.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

The problem is that this sort of thing doesn't enhance Beatrice's image; she comes across as a spoiled rich girl playing at having a job, and dabbling in charity work until something better comes along.

That may not be fair to her, but it's a problem of perception, imo.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Work is a novelty to her, something she can drop when she gets bored. When you never have to worry about anything material a full time job with people telling you what to do can be blown off if you have no real passion.
You know this how? Your assumption is entirely inaccurate if you take one look at Beatrice, what she's done and what she's been through to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Frankly, you don't have to be a royal to go on vacations like this.

Quote:
So holidays since she got her "full time job" in apparently October 2012, a job we actually know little about, what her hours are, what her contract states etc

Holiday 1; New Year 2013 - Verbier with her family (at a time when most financial companies shut down)
Holiday 2; May 2013 - French Rivera looks to have been for a long weekend as she visited the Chelsea Flower Show in support of Prince Henry.
Holiday 3; July 2013 - French Riveria (for undisclosed amount of time)

I've had more time off than this girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The problem is that this sort of thing doesn't enhance Beatrice's image; she comes across as a spoiled rich girl playing at having a job, and dabbling in charity work until something better comes along.

That may not be fair to her, but it's a problem of perception, imo.
Who does she come across to as a spoiled rich girl? You? The Daily Mail readership?

To me, she is a girl on holiday in the French Riveria, in summer. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that? She is allowed time off you. "Playing at a job" Jeez.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Nobility

Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclined she could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclinedshe could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.
You do realise that Beatrice did a 3 year university course at Goldsmiths, University of London and came out with a 2:1 degree in History despite suffereing from dyslexia? To come out with that degree, without suffering from anything is a HUGE achievement. This coming from someone who is currently studying History at a red brick university. You have to be academically inclined to do something like that.

Devote her life to study? What for? The only reason to take a History degree onwards to do an MA, PhD or to join it with a PGCE is to teach or to research for the rest of your life. Beatrice does not seem like that kind of girl.

She's got a job, apparently in finance with a company in Mayfair. She seems to have found her footing for now.

Surprised you haven't suggested she stay home and cook.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Nobility

I appreciate you like her very much and she seems like a sweet girl who as done alot but everyone is entitled to their view point and mine is she is still finding or trying to find a place or herself-she is a minor royal with no set future and no real role with money at her disposal. Of course fair or not many people are going to see her as a the rich girl with awful hats and bad ĉlothes who works when she wants.to not be seen that way she has to change her image one way or other which I believe she is.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
iappreiateyoulikeherverymuhandsheseemlikeaveryniegirl
I cannot really like a person I have never met. I respect what Beatrice has done, and I don't understand why people attack her for going on holiday when she is perfectly entitled to do. I also ferevently dislike it when people make comments and state them as facts when they aren't and can be proven wrong.
You don't seem to like when posters comment on what you have written if you respond in such a way as to completely mute the discussion. But this is what this forum is about.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclined she could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.
Women are allowed to become soldiers, so she could have joined the military had she wanted to!