Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 14: July 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting contrast between the last two stories being discussed here, and I think it's important to keep things in perspective.
The story of Beatrice's patronage of the hospice is the important one, surely - as many people commented, her presence there, spending time with those kids, showing them she cares, giving them that magical moment with royalty - that really makes a difference to them. That's what matters.
And if she's lucky enough to get to jet off to the South of France several times this summer and relax on someone's yacht... Well, why not? It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Fair play to her.
The important thing is to respect her and honour her for the genuine difference she makes to people's lives and the solid, dignified way that she represents her family and the institution of the RF. Her holidays are her own business, and I hope she had a good time.

I want to be a royal and go on vacations like this. :D

....and have your picture taken by the paps and then sold to the tabloids and published so that people who do not know you or the facts of your life can sit around and hide behind their computers while commenting on your life??? Enjoy.

The problem is that this sort of thing doesn't enhance Beatrice's image; she comes across as a spoiled rich girl playing at having a job, and dabbling in charity work until something better comes along.

That may not be fair to her, but it's a problem of perception, imo.

Work is a novelty to her, something she can drop when she gets bored. When you never have to worry about anything material a full time job with people telling you what to do can be blown off if you have no real passion.

You know this how? Your assumption is entirely inaccurate if you take one look at Beatrice, what she's done and what she's been through to get there.

Frankly, you don't have to be a royal to go on vacations like this.

Who said it was just a weekend? Bea has been on as many holidays (for a week or more) as she did when she didn't have a fulltime job. Normally you have to be somewhere 12 months before you even get vacation time. Bea has had several holidays and time off for the Royal events she has been too. It makes me wonder if she did resign from her job?

So holidays since she got her "full time job" in apparently October 2012, a job we actually know little about, what her hours are, what her contract states etc

Holiday 1; New Year 2013 - Verbier with her family (at a time when most financial companies shut down)
Holiday 2; May 2013 - French Rivera looks to have been for a long weekend as she visited the Chelsea Flower Show in support of Prince Henry.
Holiday 3; July 2013 - French Riveria (for undisclosed amount of time)

I've had more time off than this girl. :lol:

The problem is that this sort of thing doesn't enhance Beatrice's image; she comes across as a spoiled rich girl playing at having a job, and dabbling in charity work until something better comes along.

That may not be fair to her, but it's a problem of perception, imo.

Who does she come across to as a spoiled rich girl? You? The Daily Mail readership?

To me, she is a girl on holiday in the French Riveria, in summer. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that? She is allowed time off you. "Playing at a job" Jeez. :whistling:

Last edited:
Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclined she could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.

Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclinedshe could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.

You do realise that Beatrice did a 3 year university course at Goldsmiths, University of London and came out with a 2:1 degree in History despite suffereing from dyslexia? To come out with that degree, without suffering from anything is a HUGE achievement. This coming from someone who is currently studying History at a red brick university. You have to be academically inclined to do something like that.

Devote her life to study? What for? The only reason to take a History degree onwards to do an MA, PhD or to join it with a PGCE is to teach or to research for the rest of your life. Beatrice does not seem like that kind of girl.

She's got a job, apparently in finance with a company in Mayfair. She seems to have found her footing for now.

Surprised you haven't suggested she stay home and cook. :lol:

I appreciate you like her very much and she seems like a sweet girl who as done alot but everyone is entitled to their view point and mine is she is still finding or trying to find a place or herself-she is a minor royal with no set future and no real role with money at her disposal. Of course fair or not many people are going to see her as a the rich girl with awful hats and bad ĉlothes who works when she wants.to not be seen that way she has to change her image one way or other which I believe she is.

Last edited:
iappreiateyoulikeherverymuhandsheseemlikeaveryniegirl

I cannot really like a person I have never met. I respect what Beatrice has done, and I don't understand why people attack her for going on holiday when she is perfectly entitled to do. I also ferevently dislike it when people make comments and state them as facts when they aren't and can be proven wrong.
You don't seem to like when posters comment on what you have written if you respond in such a way as to completely mute the discussion. But this is what this forum is about. :)

Exactly. if she was boy like her cousins the military would give her a purpose or if she was academically inclined she could devote her life to study what ever she wished. She just has not found her own path as of yet.

Women are allowed to become soldiers, so she could have joined the military had she wanted to!

Lets give the girl a break. She has a proper job, and would be entitled to 4-5 weeks of leave a year. Its summer, most of the financial world here in Europe is largely on "go-slow" because of the summer holiday. Why can she not enjoy a few days in the sun? Unlike families with young children, many young professionals take a few long weekends off over the summer, followed by a longer break outside of the school holiday period.

Who does she come across to as a spoiled rich girl? You? The Daily Mail readership?

To me, she is a girl on holiday in the French Riveria, in summer. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that? She is allowed time off you. "Playing at a job" Jeez. :whistling:

Yes, me. And the DM readership, and apparently also others in this forum.

It's all in the way she's presented, as needing a break on the Riviera when she was there just last month. The article also shows her on a yacht with her friends, which gives an impression of luxury and wealth.
I could also find dozens of pictures of Beatrice at clubs and society events.

But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.
Or even the name of the finance company where she works?

Give it a rest! You can get to the Riviera rather quickly from London for a weekend jaunt, unless you are suggesting that she should work through the weekend?

BTW, she does look much thinner than I thought she would in a bikini. Good for her! I'm sure her detractors will have something nasty to say about that.

I appreciate you like her very much and she seems like a sweet girl who as done alot but everyone is entitled to their view point and mine is she is still finding or trying to find a place or herself-she is a minor royal with no set future and no real role with money at her disposal. Of course fair or not many people are going to see her as a the rich girl with awful hats and bad ĉlothes who works when she wants.to not be seen that way she has to change her image one way or other which I believe she is.

Do you mean that Beatrice has no real money? And how do you know that? I would be interested in your source.

Beatrice is the granddaughter of the Queen and it has been suggested that the late Queen Mother said aside money for her great grand children. In addition, following the divorce of Sarah and Andrew, money was put aside for Beatrice and Eugenie We only have a guess on what the Queen, Charles and William and Harry (because of Diana's will being public) are actually worth in regards to monetary numbers. We don't know for sure. So we don't know how much Andrew, Beatrice or Eugenie do or don't have.

But I am guessing neither York girl is hurting for money.

It's all in the way she's presented, as needing a break on the Riviera when she was there just last month. The article also shows her on a yacht with her friends, which gives an impression of luxury and wealth.

But I'm willing to bet you can't come up with a single photo of Beatrice at work.

Sorry but the DM readership is hardly a true representation of the British. They complain about everything! They complain when Beatrice goes on vacation, when she goes out at night (while in school and out of it), when she is reporting to be working, when she gets a job (she took it from someone who really needs it), when she graduated, surely she didn't earn her degree, when she did her internships, when she goes to church with her grandparents, when she takes a patronage, etc.

In short they remind me of some of the TRFers who take issue with everything Beatrice does! And apparently, even TRFers don't know everything...I totally forgot that Europeans tend to get more time off for a vacation..so of course she is on vacation again, she gets a good two to three more weeks than we do!

What is this fascination with knowing the name of the finance company where Beatrice works?

The Yorks are rich and connected young girls. People need to deal with it.

I think everyone just have to accept the reality that the royals goes on vacation. Right now there are other European royals who are on vacation or have already been on vacation. There's nothing wrong with that.

Next time I want Bea and Dave to call me so I can go with them though. Looks like they are having fun.

Sorry that was a silly typo-my keyboard is full of gremlins �� of course she has money, more than I will ever see!

I agree Mirabel it is all about the way she's presented. The DM invites the negative comments with their headlines and descriptions. The facts are we don't know the details of her contract or exactly how long her breaks abroad last. For example, royal occasions are annual, traditional events, perhaps because of her unique position maybe her employers have agreed that she doesn't have to use annual leave to attend such occasions.
I think the palace or her parents should have released a statement when she took up her employment clarifying the situation, e.g. her employers don't want press/media attention at their place of work, and thus steps/precautions will be made to avoid bringing her place of work into the public domain (if that is the situation).

Unfortunately for Beatrice we will probably have more of the same next month when it's reported she is on holiday in Balmoral, and possibly her usual trip to Spain with her family.

I agree Mirabel it is all about the way she's presented. The DM invites the negative comments with their headlines and descriptions. The facts are we don't know the details of her contract or exactly how long her breaks abroad last. For example, royal occasions are annual, traditional events, perhaps because of her unique position maybe her employers have agreed that she doesn't have to use annual leave to attend such occasions.
I think the palace or her parents should have released a statement when she took up her employment clarifying the situation, e.g. her employers don't want press/media attention at their place of work, and thus steps/precautions will be made to avoid bringing her place of work into the public domain (if that is the situation).

Unfortunately for Beatrice we will probably have more of the same next month when it's reported she is on holiday in Balmoral, and possibly her usual trip to Spain with her family.

If that was the case and if we lived in a perfect world that would be ideal. Unfortunately we live in this world.

Beatrice could explain her working conditions (i.e. hours/days) and people would scream that she is receiving preferential treatment.

If she didn't work, and just lived the jet set life people would complain that she wasn't contributing to society. Even the people who don't contribute anything society.

If she tried to focus on charities, you would hear (cause you certainly read it in her threads) that she or her father are determined that she is a working member of the Firm.

She can't win.

If that was the case and if we lived in a perfect world that would be ideal. Unfortunately we live in this world.

Beatrice could explain her working conditions (i.e. hours/days) and people would scream that she is receiving preferential treatment.

If she didn't work, and just lived the jet set life people would complain that she wasn't contributing to society. Even the people who don't contribute anything society.

If she tried to focus on charities, you would hear (cause you certainly read it in her threads) that she or her father are determined that she is a working member of the Firm.

She can't win.

Zonk you are right, and when you state it so clearly she can't win.
However unfair it might be it appears many people just don't believe there is a job, I was just trying to think of a way of taking that accusation away.

Do you mean that Beatrice has no real money? And how do you know that? I would be interested in your source.

Beatrice is the granddaughter of the Queen and it has been suggested that the late Queen Mother said aside money for her great grand children. ...

But I am guessing neither York girl is hurting for money.

I've bolded the part that I'm curious about - I would be interested in sources for the 'suggestion' that the Queen mother left funds to her great grand children which would include Zara, Peter, William, Harry and Edward's children as well as Princess Margaret's grand children. I have read that she left money to her grandchildren, but have not seen this suggested in regards to her great grandchildren. Ultimately, of course, the girls will inherit from their father whatever funds he received and still has from his grandmother. I have read that when Andrew and Sarah divorced, funds where put into trust for the girls by the Queen as part of their parent's divorce settlement.

I have had former students who have taken jobs in the UK for a year or more with the sole purpose of spending the weekends doing what Beatrice could be doing - spending the weekends visiting places in Europe - they may not go to the same place all the time but they do go to places like the south of France for a weekend, or skiing for a weekend, or to Paris for a weekend.

Dave, we know, has a full-time job so no doubt they only go on 'holidays' when he gets leave and I have no reason to believe that Beatrice does the same. We had reports back in January that she was being briefed by government officials during her lunch-breaks before representing the country in Berlin and that the two days she was there were taken as days leave from work. Most of the time that we see her have been on weekends or at night events.

Weekdays that we have seen out and about and not working have been for The Coronation Service, Chelsea Flower Show, Ascot and Trooping the Colour and the trip to France last month.

I've bolded the part that I'm curious about - I would be interested in sources for the 'suggestion' that the Queen mother left funds to her great grand children which would include Zara, Peter, William, Harry and Edward's children as well as Princess Margaret's grand children. I have read that she left money to her grandchildren, but have not seen this suggested in regards to her great grandchildren. Ultimately, of course, the girls will inherit from their father whatever funds he received and still has from his grandmother. I have read that when Andrew and Sarah divorced, funds where put into trust for the girls by the Queen as part of their parent's divorce settlement.

It was reported shortly after she died in many press reports that The Queen Mother left money for her great-grandchildren

BBC News | UK | Princes share in Queen Mother's estate In 1994, it is reported she put aside two-thirds of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren.
Princess Anne's children Zara and Peter Phillips and Prince Andrew's daughters Beatrice and Eugenie together with Princess Margaret's children Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will also receive a cash gift.

The trust by the Queen Mother was put aside in 1994, and was exempt from death duties as she died within seven years of making the trust.

From what I gleamed while surfing...she put aside 14 to 19 million pounds for her great grandchildren, so William, Harry, Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie benefited from this. Louise and Jams did not since they were not born yet. Beatrice and Eugenie's trust was 3 million pounds each from their Great Grandmother.

The Queen established a trust as part of the York divorce....3 million (I think spilt between the girls)...I imagine this would have increased in value as well. They could could access the trust when they turned 18...so Beatrice could access it in 2006.

According to some net worth cites, Bea is worth about 6 million but I am thinking she is worth a little more than that.

Let's put this way...she isn't working cause she needs to pay the rent. And she isn't paying her rent this month because she decided to go on a trip to France.

Last edited:
Something I would like to do in the future. Leave something behind for my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I'm sure William, Harry, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are happy and grateful that their great-grandmother thought of them before her passing.

Let's put this way...she isn't working cause she needs to pay the rent. And she isn't paying her rent this month because she decided to go on a trip to France.

I don't know about you but when I rented property I had to pay the rent whether I was there or on holiday.

In addition she doesn't pay the rent - Andrew does.

We also don't know how long her trip to France is - a weekend, a week or what.

I don't know about you but when I rented property I had to pay the rent whether I was there or on holiday.

In addition she doesn't pay the rent - Andrew does.

We also don't know how long her trip to France is - a weekend, a week or what.

When I referenced rent I was speaking about her permanent accommodations...not where she is staying on her trip. Yes, I was aware that Andrew paid her rent.

I would imagine that if she in France she is paying for her accommodations or staying at a friend's place. When I did a mini vacation (a weekend trip) to the Hampton's, I stayed at a friends house...and I only had to pay to eat and drink...and a nice thank you gift!

My husband and I have made two adopted granddaughters (age 15 and 13) and a young man (age 25) our heirs. We think highly of these three young people, and when we are gone they are free to do as they please with the funds. We love them unconditionally and hope others will not judge their life choices.

I'm going to introduce myself in the introduction forum shortly.

It was reported shortly after she died in many press reports that The Queen Mother left money for her great-grandchildren

BBC News | UK | Princes share in Queen Mother's estate In 1994, it is reported she put aside two-thirds of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren.
Princess Anne's children Zara and Peter Phillips and Prince Andrew's daughters Beatrice and Eugenie together with Princess Margaret's children Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will also receive a cash gift.

The trust by the Queen Mother was put aside in 1994, and was exempt from death duties as she died within seven years of making the trust.

From what I gleamed while surfing...she put aside 14 to 19 million pounds for her great grandchildren, so William, Harry, Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie benefited from this. Louise and Jams did not since they were not born yet. Beatrice and Eugenie's trust was 3 million pounds each from their Great Grandmother.

The Queen established a trust as part of the York divorce....3 million (I think spilt between the girls)...I imagine this would have increased in value as well. They could could access the trust when they turned 18...so Beatrice could access it in 2006.

According to some net worth cites, Bea is worth about 6 million but I am thinking she is worth a little more than that.

According to the BBC article referenced Harry and William were to split 6 mil @ age 21 and 8 mil. @ age 40. I would assume Beatrice and Eugenie were to get like sums at the same ages. Presumably the values cited by the BBC were in 1994 dollars and w/ normal conservative investment returns these amounts should now be much larger, for example, 3 mil. invested in 1994 for 16 yrs w/ a 5% rate of return would be 6.5 mil. when Beatrice turned 21. If the rate of return was 7% over those 16 yrs. then that 3 mil would have grown to 8.8 mil+. Note these numbers are in dollars.
It is possible to establish trusts for not yet born children here in the states and I assume in England as well (as long as you don't violate the rule against perpetuities) so trusts may have been set up for Prince Edward's future children by the Queen Mother, thus Louise and James may be provided for as well.

She can't win.

Maybe according to public opinion she can't win but to be honest, does she really need to care about public opinion? As far as for Beatrice "finding her way" in the world as another poster has mentioned, I think she's doing a heck of a lot better at it than the majority of 20-25 year old females. Of course, she's had the connections and the means to back her up but motivation and the get up and go is all her and I think she's got herself in a good spot right now. I've mentioned before that she's in a position now where she can be pretty assured of herself. She's a university graduate. She's reported to be working in finance. She's exhibited that she can very well take on charities and patronages and should the Firm need her, she's experienced. She seems to be in a stable, long term relationship and could opt out even to be just a full time wife and mother when the time comes. She knows how to have fun and has friends to do it with.

Sounds to me like she's already won.

I think those that need to know are aware of where she works. I suspect the press knows where she works as well, but just not dare publish a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom