The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Beatrice lovely in green:

Princess Beatrice and boyfriend David Clark spend the day at Voile Rouge while
on holiday in the South of France, July 10, 2011.

Voile Rouge? Practically the MOST expensive beach club in St. T [naughty Diarist sneaks in her own bottle of water to drink, objecting to paying $15 for a teen, tiny one....] Seriously, I presume either that Mr Clark is paying rather than Beatrice, whose own trust fund must be rapidly diminishing!!! or - perhaps more likely - the Club gives them a freebie [When William and Harry go to Boujis or similar clubs, the deal is that the young royals have to queue for drinks at the bar same as everyone else, but don't have to pay.....]

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Hello

I read in last Point de Vue something crazy, I do not know if this is the correct place to post:
Beatrice has "discharged" her stylist, after the catastrophic appearance in William's wedding! Apparentrly Beatrice was very very sad for all the bad comments she got.

But the MOST crazy is that she was paying this stylist 1500 UK pounds per appearance!

Imagine!!! Pay 1500 pounds and get out like a rhinoceros!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Courtier

I thought she had got the stylist after the hat disaster? If it was before then firing her was a great decision. I wouldn't think Beatrice had access to that much cash. Unless her boyfriend is picking up the bill. I know she has an apartment in SJP but who pays all her bills and I gather she would have maids, cooks etc. The clothes she has been wearing haven't been cheap and most designers would give her a discount but even then they are very expensive.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not know the cost of the lifestyle of the high aristocracy, but for me it is crazy to pay such high amounts, for such poor results.

DoCamb succeeded for almost a decade to be pefectly dressed, without any help. Only her good taste!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I thought she had got the stylist after the hat disaster? If it was before then firing her was a great decision. I wouldn't think Beatrice had access to that much cash. Unless her boyfriend is picking up the bill. I know she has an apartment in SJP but who pays all her bills and I gather she would have maids, cooks etc. The clothes she has been wearing haven't been cheap and most designers would give her a discount but even then they are very expensive.
I read Beatrice got the stylist afterward, in response to the criticisms, and that Andrew paid for it.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

SJP? DoCamb?

Please explain.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

i believe it's St James Palace and Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
[naughty Diarist sneaks in her own bottle of water to drink, objecting to paying $15 for a teen, tiny one....]
Nothing naughty about not paying ridiculous prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Would it be that much of a surprise if she wasn't being charged? A few freebies to the right people pay for themselves. Right now people will buy a lump of **** for their heads if Kate Middleton wears one, Beatrice might not have that kind of clout but the outfits still get photographed and even the bad ones will be liked by someone with too much money and far less sense..
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

If Beatrice starts accepting too many freebies she is going to go down the path of her mother. Kate doesn't accept freebies and pays for her clothes. A discount seems to be acceptable but not getting free things all the time. I hope Andrew isn't paying for his daughters stylist she has a wealthy boyfriend and with Andrew already supporting her mother his money will run out fast. Besides if Beatrice has a stylist then Eugenie should have one too and that could run up a huge bill. Wearing clothes badly can affect the designer! I can see history repeating itself if people aren't careful.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Nobility

We don't know that Kate pays for her all clothes. It's assumed and as her star rises she's going to be more likely to receive things for free from her favorite designers.

As for Beatrice going down the same road, there's no real reason to believe she would because she got free stuff. The only reason I would worry about the girl is if she actually believed it was Dave's job to pay for her stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, it's very hard to know what Kate pays for and whether anything is discounted. I would assume all the young royals are roughly in keeping with what other celeb-types do in this regard - although they could be quite conservative as to what they receive from others - I've not read or heard much on this topic.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Serene Highness

I would think that Pss B is the "guest" of various people of ample means. Royalty still carries a lot of weight and there are those who will do anything if it means gaining the confidences and good graces of a royal. And many shops/restaurants/hotels would eagerly write off any costs to be able to say a royal patronized their business, esp. if photos of the event were allowed. Plus, she is a wealthy young woman whose family has mucho connections and clout. Not to mention she travels in wealthy circles. I don't think she is personally picking up most of the tab to her trips. But that doesn't necessarily make her a "freebie."
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Yes, it's very hard to know what Kate pays for and whether anything is discounted. I would assume all the young royals are roughly in keeping with what other celeb-types do in this regard - although they could be quite conservative as to what they receive from others - I've not read or heard much on this topic.
I know that before the wedding, Kate refused any freebies; I read that the shop where she bought her engagement dress tried to give it to her but she refused and insisted on paying. Also she returned a selection of clothing that Posh sent her.

Still, as time passes she will need more and more clothing for various events; it's hard to see how any income can stand up to that.

(Well, I suppose William's can, but I don't know about Beatrice's.) Exactly how wealthy is Dave Clark?

And it's true that accepting this stuff creates a sense of obligation.

I did read once that Fergie was dismayed because designers who courted Diana were less interested in providing Fergie with clothes.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I know that before the wedding, Kate refused any freebies; I read that the shop where she bought her engagement dress tried to give it to her but she refused and insisted on paying. Also she returned a selection of clothing that Posh sent her.
It is my understanding that whilst many designers and fashion brands send clothes and accessories to SJP for the Duchess of Cambridge, most are returned. SJP pay for the items she keeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Still, as time passes she will need more and more clothing for various events; it's hard to see how any income can stand up to that.

(Well, I suppose William's can, but I don't know about Beatrice's.) Exactly how wealthy is Dave Clark?
I am reasonably sure the funding for the working wardrobe of the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Cornwall can be comfortably afforded on the income generated by the Duchy of Cornwall. Both ladies have demonstrated how thrifty they can be - Camilla by regularly recycling favourite items, and Catherine by mixing high street with high end.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I would think that Pss B is the "guest" of various people of ample means. Royalty still carries a lot of weight and there are those who will do anything if it means gaining the confidences and good graces of a royal. And many shops/restaurants/hotels would eagerly write off any costs to be able to say a royal patronized their business, esp. if photos of the event were allowed. Plus, she is a wealthy young woman whose family has mucho connections and clout. Not to mention she travels in wealthy circles. I don't think she is personally picking up most of the tab to her trips. But that doesn't necessarily make her a "freebie."
If Beatrice chooses to follow the path suggested above (and certainly one that a lot of celebs follow), she will be going down a slippery slope. Accepting freebies and generous discounts will leave her beholden to certain interests, and certainly something that HM and the DoE will not be comfortable with.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Why don't we wait for some type of proof before suggesting that Beatrice is following Sarah's path. Talk about guilt by association.

And while Andrew is definitely not as well off as Charles, the Andrew of 2011 doesn't have the same financial resources of the Andrew that divorced Sarah. Need I remind anyone that most likely both Andrew and Beatrice inheirted money when the Queen Mother died....even if money was put in a trust, depending on how it was invested Beatrice probably could live off the interest for a while. Its not like she is paying rent and tution.

Everyone is acting like Sarah has wiped out Beatrice (and Eugenie's) trust fund. We are making a lot of specualtive comments that honestly I am sure we will never know the true story to. I pretty sure that Queen wouldn't alllow that to happen.

ETA: I found this post by Branchg in http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-grandchildren

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Well, based on Sarah's divorce settlement as an example, Beatrice and Eugenie are the beneficiaries of a $3 million trust set-up by The Queen, with the income accruing directly to them after 25.
Branchg is usually pretty good in terms of accuracy and sources. So if this is the case, Beatrice can't touch the principal of her trust fund from the Queen. Most likely its the same with the Queen Mother. As in the same thread, its mentioned that the Queen's grandchildren don't have access to the QM's trust funds until Charles becomes King. No source given. So perhaps Beatrice is still being supported the Andrew and the Queen.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Everyone is acting like Sarah has wiped out Beatrice (and Eugenie's) trust fund. We are making a lot of specualtive comments that honestly I am sure we will never know the true story to. I pretty sure that Queen wouldn't alllow that to happen.
I am not sure who the "Everyone" you are referring to includes, but I do think the York girls live quite expensive lifestyles. They are often seen in expensive designer gear that they are rarely seen to recycle (something that all the senior members of the BRF are past masters at), often party and expensive establishments (which they may or may not entirely fund themselves) and often holiday abroad in expensive settings.

Whilst there is little information in the public domain as to the size of financial resources available to the York girls or to Andrew, a little restraint this early in life would surely hold them in good stead in the long run. In their mother, they have the example of the impact of maintaining a lifestyle in excess of what one can afford, and they would do well (and they may well already have) to learn from that example.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Muriel.....you follow the Yorks just like I do and I would guess that a majority of the same people who posts in the Sarah threads post in the York Princesses thread. Beatrice because she is out and about more than Eugenie gets more press. With that in mind, has it not been questioneed in the Sarah threads about how she can afford to continue to live the lifestyle she is living? And pretty much everyone (and yes that is a generalization but you are right its not everyone, so I will change it a majority of the posters) believe that Sarah is living off Beatrice and Eugenie's trust fund? Because I have read that in several posts in the Sarah threads.

And yes Beatrice lives in an expensive world (boating in St. Tropez) but whose to say she is paying for it? Most likely she only had to pay for a way to where the boat is. But if you think about it, a majority of the Queen's adult grandchildren (with the exception of Peter) live in an expensive world. The only difference is that William and Harry (with their polo which isn't a cheap sport/hobby) live off Charles. Zara's sport is particular expensive as well (one assumes that she was supported by Anne and the Queen in beginning. And now she has some sponsors to assist her with her costs.

In the fashion thread of Beatrice (or perhaps earlier in the Current Events thread) reference has been made to the expensive dresses that Beatrice (I am just going to focus on her since its her thread) wears. First of all, Beatrice has lot a lot of weight, so dont' most women when they lose weight buy new clothes. She's lost what....2 to 4 dress sizes? Whose to say she paid for them...perhaps they were a gift from her father or grandmother. If the rumours are true that Andrew is paying for a stylist, than I would assume for the wedding of William and Kate, he paid for her wedding attire. In regards to her other designer dresses, how many events does she regularly attend? Its not like Kate or other members of the BRF where you will see them again and again doing public engagements. So everytime we see Beatrice it looks like its a new dress when (IF she started doing public engagements on a regular which is not the case for her) because she was out and about more often we would see her duplicate her dresses. When I first started going out to particular events, I would always buy a new dress and when it became a regular thing, those dresses were resued. IMO its a big thing if you never seen Beatrice in a repeat everyday dress or the like.

In regards to your last statement, one does assume that children learn from the mistakes of their parents. But again, if one reads the Sarah threads --- Sarah has always lived on the fringes of the jet set. Beatrice was born a member of the British Royal Family and has access to money that Sarah had and let slip thru her fingers. Sarah's life as middle class (or upper middle class) and Beatrice's life (even as a junior member of the BRF)...is not the same thing . Just on the basis of their suspected trust funds (the divorce settlement, the Queen Mother and later on the Queens), they will be able to live a lifestyle that Sarah can only dream of just by living of the interest. Beatrice's kids might have to worry about money but I doubt Beatrice will. I also don't see proof that she is living outside her means. But than again, its fairly early and a bit unfair to compare the lifestyle of a 50 plus year old woman with that of a 22 year old. In addition, to her trust fund one hopes that Beatrice will obtain a job that will assist her in her lifestyle (but I can't see that happening unless she is a designer or author or something) and than if she marries someone who has more money than her, than all bets are off IMO.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Funny to read people wanting the York girls to recycle their clothes when - let's be honest - many if us criticize their fashion sense when we 1st see their outfits.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the clarification, EllieCat.

It's clear that the two princesses are very spendy - it will take time to see how this plays out (once they become workers in the private sector).