The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures View Post
Sometimes you do wonder what the poor Queen who has been so
dutiful in her life thinks of all this. She has never taken or been seen on holidays abroad.

As she could have stopped it when it started in the 80s by simply refusing them permission to go abroad she must by ok with it. She could insist that the entire family holidays at home but she doesn't.

She actually has gone abroad privately but the press don't follow here around. However, she also doesn't come across as the sea and ski type of woman so she wouldn't naturally gravitate to those sorts of places whereas her elder sons and their first wives most certainly did and so their children also learnt to holiday abroad (much the same thing as has happened in many families where the Queen's generation - the Depression and War years generation learnt to holiday at home while they encouraged their children and especially their grandchildren to explore the world and to holiday abroad and enjoy their lives because they didn't get the same chance at these ages. When the Queen was Beatrice's age she had lived through the Depression, death of her beloved grandfather and a public funeral, the abdication crisis and the changes that meant for her family, the war and the attendant dangers, the death of a loved uncle in the war, the knowledge that close friends and family were in constant danger, the bombing of her home and was about to get married. Beatrice, in comparison has seen the breakdown of her parents' marriage but their wonderful post-divorce relationship, the death of her beloved great-grandmother and attendant public funeral, the death of an aunt and public backlash against her family, the accusation that her grandfather had this aunt killed, and has a steady boyfriend. - My parents are much the same - holiday at home but encourage their children and grandchildren to holiday abroad)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I feel a Ken and Barbie analogy coming on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
Boy, I would love to have Dave's job. .. All he seems to do that we know of is travel and have nights out with Beatrice.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He probably works when Beatrice is at uni studying which takes most of her time. They both have the means to go away for weekends and summer holidays like this one. Having nights out doesn't mean someone isn't working hard during the day - particularly a young man who has no wife or children to keep him at home rather than enjoying his youth.
I was not insinuating that he did not work hard during the day and that he had no responsibilities to keep him tied at home. I do not claim to know them personally, or how the british work force differs from that in the U.S.
But here in the u.s., you usually get 2 to 3 wks (sometimes more depending on the length of employment) vacation.
From what is reported on them, it just seems as if they are constantly on Holiday in very Ritzy places that would cost the average person/family an arm and a leg, hence my sentence on making very good money.
As for going out at night and weekends, well what would one expect of someone their age? Sitting around reading or knitting? If they are not going to clubs, I would think something is wrong with them.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
I was not insinuating that he did not work hard during the day and that he had no responsibilities to keep him tied at home. I do not claim to know them personally, or how the british work force differs from that in the U.S.
But here in the u.s., you usually get 2 to 3 wks (sometimes more depending on the length of employment) vacation.
From what is reported on them, it just seems as if they are constantly on Holiday in very Ritzy places that would cost the average person/family an arm and a leg, hence my sentence on making very good money.
As for going out at night and weekends, well what would one expect of someone their age? Sitting around reading or knitting? If they are not going to clubs, I would think something is wrong with them.

I believe the British get about 6 weeks or more vacation time. I know that the US get fewer holidays than many other countries.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I believe the British get about 6 weeks or more vacation time. I know that the US get fewer holidays than many other countries.
I still feel that in light of their title and also in light of the hard ecomomic
times, these very public vacations seem to cast the wrong opinion on the royal family.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Depends on what's happening with his job. On top of that he works for Richard Branson doesn't he? Branson's very close to the Royal Family so I think Dave might get perks without being told so.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Being at Uni, Beatrice probably get's 7-8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Depends on what's happening with his job. On top of that he works for Richard Branson doesn't he? Branson's very close to the Royal Family so I think Dave might get perks without being told so.
He does work for Richard, but I didn't think he was that close to the royals.
I can imagine, Branson is capitalising on this relationship for his own personal gain.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Typically 4-5 weeks vacation per year is normal for most employers in the UK.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Commoner

Muriel are you referring to the US? That's funny if you were. It's 2 weeks if you're lucky - with holidays you can probably eke out an extra five days.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

As to Dave's holidays, he probably gets a "leancy" considering he's holidaying with royalty.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He does work for Richard, but I didn't think he was that close to the royals.
I can imagine, Branson is capitalising on this relationship for his own personal gain.
Capitalizing on anyone for personal gain is one thing Richard Branson does not need to do. Like JK Rowlands, Branson is a rags to riches story (I've read excerpts of his biography on his website and its quite interesting.. been meaning to get the book) but both the author and Branson are not looking to anyone else to boost themselves egotistically or financially. They don't need to.

As far as the royals go, I believe the younger set such as William, Harry and the York girls are good friends with Branson's children Holly and Sam. It is very possible that it is this connection as to how Bea met Dave in the first place. I'm just surmising here.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Capitalizing on anyone for personal gain is one thing Richard Branson does not need to do. Like JK Rowlands, Branson is a rags to riches story (I've read excerpts of his biography on his website and its quite interesting.. been meaning to get the book) but both the author and Branson are not looking to anyone else to boost themselves egotistically or financially. They don't need to.

As far as the royals go, I believe the younger set such as William, Harry and the York girls are good friends with Branson's children Holly and Sam. It is very possible that it is this connection as to how Bea met Dave in the first place. I'm just surmising here.
Do you mean JK Rowling?
The Harry Potter author.

I know he is a rags to riches story but he still has to stay at the top. And if you had an employee dating royalty I'd try and capitalise. I never said anything about ego, but every business man is always finding new ways of making money.
William and Harry are friends with the children, but not neccesarily with Richard or his company, which is what I think was being referred to. Fromw what I read, William introduced them at some club.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Do you mean JK Rowling?
The Harry Potter author.

I know he is a rags to riches story but he still has to stay at the top. And if you had an employee dating royalty I'd try and capitalise. I never said anything about ego, but every business man is always finding new ways of making money.
William and Harry are friends with the children, but not neccesarily with Richard or his company, which is what I think was being referred to. Fromw what I read, William introduced them at some club.
Yes. I was referring to JK Rowlands author of the Harry Potter books.

You've got a good point there on the business angle and from what I know Richard is a shrewd businessman. He also seems to be a good friend. It was in the news that he flew Sarah and the two princesses to his Necker island
for a private getaway. Although there was much said about Sarah firing all her employees and then running on a posh vacation, as Branson owns Virgin airlines and the island, it was an act of friendship very similar to anyone offering a bit of peace to a friend. I think I like this man.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Courtier

In the UK self-made men are not as admired as they are in the US, in fact they can sometimes be looked down on as "new money" that is by "old money" and the landed gentry and the aristocracy.
Being a friend of the royal family in the UK is a feather in anyone´s cap and Branson must be over the moon that he has finally made it through his children and now an employee is actually dating a member of the family.
I am sure that whatever David asks for from his boss will be immediately taken care of.
At least this is the impression I get.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes. I was referring to JK Rowlands author of the Harry Potter books.

You've got a good point there on the business angle and from what I know Richard is a shrewd businessman. He also seems to be a good friend. It was in the news that he flew Sarah and the two princesses to his Necker island
for a private getaway. Although there was much said about Sarah firing all her employees and then running on a posh vacation, as Branson owns Virgin airlines and the island, it was an act of friendship very similar to anyone offering a bit of peace to a friend. I think I like this man.
But it's not Rowlands. It's Rowling.
Oh yes I couldn't agree more that he is a genuine friendly person, Dave is suppose to be a very important person in the Virgin business, so I can imagine he takes care of Dave and Bea.
Branson can afford to send Bea and her family on a holiday, Sarah cannot.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But it's not Rowlands. It's Rowling.
Oh yes I couldn't agree more that he is a genuine friendly person, Dave is suppose to be a very important person in the Virgin business, so I can imagine he takes care of Dave and Bea.
Branson can afford to send Bea and her family on a holiday, Sarah cannot.
Sheesh I love following you around and posting.

Thanks for the correction on Ms. Rowling. I should have known that having all the HP books but just not enough caffeine in the system yet this morning.

I never considered the "new" money versus the "old" money angle and the class structures in the UK. Being a British citizen, Branson would be well aware of that.

Keep my spot warm. I'm heading to Michigan in a short while here for my youngest son's wedding. I'm sure to have a lot of good reading waiting for me on my return!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Sheesh I love following you around and posting.

Thanks for the correction on Ms. Rowling. I should have known that having all the HP books but just not enough caffeine in the system yet this morning.

I never considered the "new" money versus the "old" money angle and the class structures in the UK. Being a British citizen, Branson would be well aware of that.

Keep my spot warm. I'm heading to Michigan in a short while here for my youngest son's wedding. I'm sure to have a lot of good reading waiting for me on my return!
Sorry, it's just i'm on holiday at the moment, and to be honest I have nothing else to do except post on here.
Congratulations to your youngest son, you'll have to PM about the brides dress.

IMO Branson "rates" for want of a better word, better than Sarah. Sarah has only got the money she has left, because she was once a royal. From what I can see, she hasn't really tried really at anything in her life.

Whereas Branson is the true rags to riches story, he's earnt every penny he's got because he has that desire to do good.
But he is still a business man, who is always finding new ways to make money, and the fact that his children have a relationship with royals, he will capitalise on that.
He would know about "old" money vs "new" money and his would be new money.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoy2400 View Post
Muriel are you referring to the US? That's funny if you were. It's 2 weeks if you're lucky - with holidays you can probably eke out an extra five days.
I was referring to the UK, in response to a post by an overseas poster
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Typically 4-5 weeks vacation per year is normal for most employers in the UK.

the minimum holiday that your avrage joe gets in the uk is equel to 4 of your working week plus bank holidays. it usually works out at about 20 days unless you are a teacher or student. some companys add days for however long you`ve worked their and some peapole can end up with more .

[QUOTE=Lumutqueen;1111460]Being at Uni, Beatrice probably get's 7-8 weeks. [QUOTE]

Seeing as Beatrice is at uni she will probably get bout 6 weeks in the summer 2 weeks at christmas and easter and probably 3 half terms that are a week long, thats about 13 weeks, teachers and anyone who is in school or collage get these aswell. although i may be wrong!

on a diferant note Bea`s figure looks great though the white bikini bottoms are wrong
Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
In the UK self-made men are not as admired as they are in the US, in fact they can sometimes be looked down on as "new money" that is by "old money" and the landed gentry and the aristocracy.
Being a friend of the royal family in the UK is a feather in anyone´s cap and Branson must be over the moon that he has finally made it through his children and now an employee is actually dating a member of the family.
I am sure that whatever David asks for from his boss will be immediately taken care of.
At least this is the impression I get.
Just what a British person with a title needs, a spouse with money. Ask Sarah.

Closed Thread

Tags
princess beatrice