The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
The real issue here is the protection officer; the last figure I read was that her protection costs about 250,000 pounds a year--but if he lets her keep her keys in the ignition like that (as well as illegally parking) and the car gets stolen, well, is he doing his job to the best of his ability? If I were a taxpayer in GB I'd be pretty irritated about this.
yeah, that's exactly what i thought of, this officer must take some responsibility in what happened. An article from (monsters and critics):
Princess Beatrice's car stolen

Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

I disagree that the guard is to blame. It is their job to protect the princesses. It is the same as when Harry had troubles as a teenager. The guards are not responsible for monitoring the decisions of their charges. They are responsible for making sure a kidnapper does not grab them, or taking a bullet for them.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I disagree that the guard is to blame. It is their job to protect the princesses. It is the same as when Harry had troubles as a teenager. The guards are not responsible for monitoring the decisions of their charges. They are responsible for making sure a kidnapper does not grab them, or taking a bullet for them.
I completely agree, HGHD. The princess is supposedly grown up and fully responsible for her own decisions. The guard is no baby-sitter!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, exactly. The officer couldn't leave his charge to remove the keys from the ignition.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Courtier

well, all I can say is DUH!!! They BOTH must have been pretty preoccupied with something for her to leave the keys and him not to mention it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
If she had a personalised number plate it would make tracking it a bit easier. The papers said the key was left in it so no insurance Oh dear
These cars are sometimes stolen to order, failing that it may have been chopped by now and the number plate displayed as a hunting trophy somewhere!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I didn't say he was to blame--I questioned the need for him. Obviously, it was Bea's responsibility and she messed up (big time) but he should have been more proactive than he was. How hard would have been to say "You left the keys in the ignition, don't you want to get them?"

I will say this, I bet she doesn't do this again.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How hard would have been to say "You left the keys in the ignition, don't you want to get them?
Perhaps he credited her with more intelligence than she deserved on this occasion. Nobody in their right mind leaves the key in the ignition, definitely not in London.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I have a Ford, a Buick, and a VW and they all beep when I leave the keys in or the lights on. A beemer should have that option as well!
I just asked my DH who works for a BMW dealership--the car does have the feature but the driver has to activate it in order for it to work. Sounds like that wasn't case this time.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Perhaps he credited her with more intelligence than she deserved on this occasion. Nobody in their right mind leaves the key in the ignition, definitely not in London.
Just a short question: for most of us who are driving on the right hand side of the road, the keys are easily to be seen form the passenger seat as they are dangling to the middle of the car (driver sits on the left side, keys are on the right side of wheel, in full view of passenger on the right side of car).

But in the UK the driver sits on the right side of the car. Are the keys on the right side of the wheel as well as they are in European-style cars? Then only Beatrice could have seen them on leaving the car while her detective had no possibility for a quick check.

If so, I think that the keys are much easier to be seen from the outside in the Uk, as they are dangling close to the window which you can see from the side of the street on passing the parked cars, while in the rest of Europe you have to actually look into the middle to the car to see the keys. But of course noone in his right mind would forget the keys even in a peaceful city like Munich (well, the shopping/better parts are very secure here.) But London? One have to have grown-up in an especially secure environment not to realise that offering opportunities means the deed is going to be done.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that you have hit on perhaps the reason this happened, not the car key part as it has been so long since I have driven on the left that I really can´t remember but no doubt someone will put us right - but - quote Jo] to have grown-up in an especially secure environment not to realise that offering opportunities means the deed is going to be done.quote].
Princess Beatrice has probably never ever had to do anything about her own safety in her whole life, she has been protected every step she has taken and the "real world" that we know is about remote to her as Mars is to us.
I think that she pulled up in front of a shop because she wanted to go there and that was that, jumped out and her surprised body guard had to decide, protect her or protect her car - he made the decision and I hope he won´t have to pay too high a price for this.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Majesty

His job is to protect her not her possessions. If, in protecting the car, something had happened to her he would be in trouble but it is not his job to make sure that she takes care of her own possessions. That is the job of her parents to teach her and then for her to take responsibility for herself.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But in the UK the driver sits on the right side of the car. Are the keys on the right side of the wheel as well as they are in European-style cars? Then only Beatrice could have seen them on leaving the car while her detective had no possibility for a quick check. ---- snipped ----- But of course noone in his right mind would forget the keys even in a peaceful city like Munich (well, the shopping/better parts are very secure here.) But London? One have to have grown-up in an especially secure environment not to realise that offering opportunities means the deed is going to be done.
In the Land Rover they are in the steering column on the left of the driver, The other cars all seem to be on the right (Frontera, VW Passat, BMW, Mini), so only in the LR would the keys have been seen by a passenger.

The PPO would have been far too busy checking possible dangers to allow for apparent stupidity.

We don't lock the vehicles (at home) when in Scotland, every where else, we lock up, even when we are driving!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is basic common sense and something that is taught on your first driving lesson now, (apparently). She has been driving since she was 17 and must have managed to lock the car in the past. It would be surprising if her PPO was moved or dismissed over this, he was doing his job, protecting her from ....., well he was doing his job.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I had no idea that she had been driving since 17, that certainly makes a difference, it was a very foolish thing to do. I always get in my car and lock it and I would never forget to lock it when I get out. It is a pity because as recently as 10 years ago I wouldn´t have dreamt of doing this....
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have a Ford, a Buick, and a VW and they all beep when I leave the keys in or the lights on. A beemer should have that option as well!
I think this is one of those things that is prevalent in the US, but not usually found in Europe(just like warning beeps for seatbelts etc).

any which way you look at it, if you leave your car with the keys in the ignition, you deserve to have it stolen. Stupid girl!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quite right, most cars sold in the UK have their ignition keys on the right side of the steering column, and hence, are visible from the seat and not the passenger. The PPO should not be held responsible for the car being stolen. His job was to ensure no harm came to her when she was in the shop, rather than protect her from her own irresponsible behaviour.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Bummer. But wait, 15,000 in British pounds for that car? Doesn't that come to like $35,000 in US dollars (someone correct my exchange). What?! For that honking sedan that's all it cost? I'd think a BMW like that would fetch about $80,000 in US dollars. Are they cheaper Across the Pond or something? Wow! You can barely get a decent Toyota Camry for $35K.
Bea used to drive a BMW 1 series hatchback, and you can spend upwards of about £16,000 on them new, or about $24,000. Typically cars in the US are a lot cheaper than they are on Europe, though often manufacturers don't sell every car they sell in Europe in the US, and v/v given local tastes and preferences.

I just hope Andrew does not replace the car for the girl and she is forced to travel in a boring unmarked police car in the future!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I just hope Andrew does not replace the car for the girl and she is forced to travel in a boring unmarked police car in the future!
That's a little harsh don't you think?

I think if, we are honest, we can all relate to a grey moment when the hamster fell off the wheel and we forgot to remove the car/door keys, lock the car/door, activate the home/car alarm etc.

It's just a little sad that she got caught out. Most of us didn't and we keep our guilty little secret to ourselves not wanting our family or friends to think we are complete halfwits!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Nobility

Well at least she found her pet dog I read. She also had the misfortune, if I'm correct, of losing her cat. Sounds like a bad turn of events and I hope all gets better for her. She can easily replace her car. I hope she gets a car she really likes when she goes shopping for one. I'd recommend a porsche if high end models aren't off the question. I wonder what kind of car we all here would like to see her in. Any suggestions? Hope she finds her kitten soon. And I'm glad her pooch was found. Good heavens.

Tags
princess beatrice