The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I have never heard this word used to describe a young woman.
spunk
1536, "a spark," Scottish, from Gaelic spong "tinder, pith, sponge," from L. spongia (see sponge). The sense of "courage, pluck, mettle" is first attested 1773. A similar sense evolution took place in cognate Ir. sponnc "sponge, tinder, spark, courage, spunk." Spunky "courageous, spirited" is recorded from 1786.

There are other references that are sexual so we won't go there. . .

Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 23.5.2008

Princess Beatrice and her boyfriend Dave Clarke leaving
Boujis Nightclub at 3.30am. London, England - 23.05.08

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
You know me, filthy mind!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Nice pics, Ice. She looks a bit older than she is in these photos and seems to be wearing more make-up than she's usually seen in. As for that bf, he strikes me as an Idiot! I so wish she'd dump him and find someone that doesn't look like such a dimwitted Goof!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't she have green eyes and that was blue eye shadow??
Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
You know me, filthy mind!
You and me both Sky!
We're cruising for a hoisting!!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Skydragon, I definitely meant in the sense of courageous and spirted. I didn't know there were other meanings.

Quote:
spunk
1536, "a spark," Scottish, from Gaelic spong "tinder, pith, sponge," from L. spongia (see sponge). The sense of "courage, pluck, mettle" is first attested 1773. A similar sense evolution took place in cognate Ir. sponnc "sponge, tinder, spark, courage, spunk." Spunky "courageous, spirited" is recorded from 1786.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Skydragon, I definitely meant in the sense of courageous and spirted. I didn't know there were other meanings.
Ever watch Sex and the City??
Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Michael of Kent is to vacate his Kensington Palace apartment next year on the grounds that he dosn't carry out official duties on behalf of the Queen. You can't have one rule for one and another for someone else. Beatrice performs no Royal duties so no way is she entitled to live free in a taxpayer maintained Palace. Between this and her and her sister's police protection I am getting really angry at the cost of Prince Andrew's family to the British taxpayer and I intend to write to my M.P. in protest of her getting this apartment. Why should I pay tax to keep this globe-trotting; night-clubbing girl in the style to which she has become accustomed.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Courtier

Am I understanding this correctly Angela, Prince Micheal is having to move out of his Kensington apartment and Beatrice will move in??

I'm not a British taxpayer (or Prince Micheal), but this would piss me off.
I would protest the security for them as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Other than a scene here and there, no.

Quote:
Ever watch Sex and the City??
Old 05-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

My feeling is that she should have her protection officers until she's finished her education and decides whether she wants to be a working HRH or not. If she doesn't, then she should lose her perks and fend for herself.

If anyone's out-of-pocket for Beatrice's expenses (other than police protection), it's her parents or the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Prince Michael of Kent is to vacate his Kensington Palace apartment next year on the grounds that he dosn't carry out official duties on behalf of the Queen. You can't have one rule for one and another for someone else. Beatrice performs no Royal duties so no way is she entitled to live free in a taxpayer maintained Palace. Between this and her and her sister's police protection I am getting really angry at the cost of Prince Andrew's family to the British taxpayer and I intend to write to my M.P. in protest of her getting this apartment. Why should I pay tax to keep this globe-trotting; night-clubbing girl in the style to which she has become accustomed.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Courtier

Let's be reasonable here.

Prince Michael of Kent, Her Majesty's cousin, is quitting his grace and favour apartment because of the political fallout pertaining to the fact that he paid a mere 69 pounds pa in rent. As I understand it, Her Majesty has personally paid his rent of 120,000 pounds for the last few years. When Prince Michael and his wife finally retire to Gloucestshire, Her Majesty will pay them a pension, for life, in honour of a promise made to them in 1978.

Unlike Gloucester, Michael of Kent and his wife do very little, actively, for the Monarchy.

Princess Beatrice of York is still a young woman and a student. She is also the monarch's granddaughter which affords her certain privileges, not least of which is security and support until she's completed her education and found her milieu. Should she, indeed, be allotted informal 'digs' in Kensington Palace, why would this be different from those which are allocated to, say, Zara Phillips, her cousin?

I have neither heard nor read of any proposition for Beatrice to supplant Michael and his wife in their apartment. Quite the reverse in fact.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
why would this be different from those which are allocated to, say, Zara Phillips, her cousin?
Zara lives on her mothers estate, not in a taxpayer funded residence.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Aristocracy

My understanding is that Beatrice will live in St James Palace in an apartment formerly occupied by a senior courtier. It has been vacant for a while.

I think this is a good solution to the problem of how to keep her safe at the least cost (built in security already in place compared to having to secure a new private residence).

I think we all need to remember in this day and age the granddaughter of the Queen is at high risk of kidnap plots and needs protection.

There would be more uproar if the tax payer was paying for the security measures at a private residence.

This is completely unrelated to Prince and Princess Michael of Kent leaving Kensington Palace which has been agreed for years.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
Am I understanding this correctly Angela, Prince Micheal is having to move out of his Kensington apartment and Beatrice will move in??

I'm not a British taxpayer (or Prince Micheal), but this would piss me off.
I would protest the security for them as well.
I thought the Kents lived in an apartment at Kensington Palace and Beatrice will reportly have an apartment at St. James Palace.

Cat
Old 05-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I think we all need to remember in this day and age the granddaughter of the Queen is at high risk of kidnap plots and needs protection.

There would be more uproar if the tax payer was paying for the security measures at a private residence.
I doubt two little protection officers could prevent a kidnap attempt and feel that this is a cost that should be picked up by their parents, who is likely to kidnap these two?

We had better start roaring then, because we already pay for their security, whether in a private residence or any one of the royal palaces!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it's better to have the young Princesses protected. There are stalkers and overzealous paparazzi about, to say nothing of terrorists. If anything violent every happened to Beatrice or Eugenie, people would be howling over the fact that they weren't protected.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Courtier

Beatrice didn’t deserve columnist’s cheap shot over looks - Sunday Sun

i think its so cool that some people are shoowing supporrt to Beatrice
Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

She doesn't look good in those pictures, IMO. Her makeup, especially around her eyes, was much too heavy. I don't think she deserves half the crap the press and others give her, but she needs to get a new look for make-up at least.

Tags
princess beatrice