Prince William Current Events 8: February-May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chrissy57 said:
Charles became a Knight of the Garter in 1968 - the year he turned 20.

I read somewhere (a biography or something like that) that Charles felt embarrassed about this knighthood because of the clothing he had to wear and had to go out in front of everyone with that clothing on. Anyone know if this is true, or what the Knight of the Garter does?:)

CasiraghiTrio said:
How could no one not recognize the name "William Wales"? How many people have a freakin' country for a surname? I know it's not his 'surname' per se, but if that's what it says on his credit card, that is what it would look like. I've never anyone named William America or William China, so I can bet anyone named "William Wales" would have to be like, hmm, lemme think...... William of Wales? hmm? Doesn't everyone, non-royalty fans too, know that's Prince William?

Yes people do have the surname Wales, Scott, English etc, they are all fairly common names I think. :)
We don't know what is on his credit card, it could be W. Wales.

William - the chav

Prince William has been spotted dressed as a chav.
The future King of England joined his platoon as they donned chav-themed fancy dress to mark the completion of their first term at Sandhurst.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1797631.html

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Kimetha said:
I read somewhere (a biography or something like that) that Charles felt embarrassed about this knighthood because of the clothing he had to wear and had to go out in front of everyone with that clothing on. Anyone know if this is true, or what the Knight of the Garter does?:)

I haven't heard it in relation to the Garter (doesn't mean it didn't happen just that I have never heard it) but I have heard it in relation the the Duke of Windsor being invested as Prince of Wales in 1911 and to Prince Charles with his investiture as Prince of Wales in 1969. With the Garter being such a traditional costume it would make less sense to be upset with the outfit but as they are the only two to have been invested in many years I can understand them being embarassed.

chrissy57 said:
I haven't heard it in relation to the Garter (doesn't mean it didn't happen just that I have never heard it) but I have heard it in relation the the Duke of Windsor being invested as Prince of Wales in 1911 and to Prince Charles with his investiture as Prince of Wales in 1969. With the Garter being such a traditional costume it would make less sense to be upset with the outfit but as they are the only two to have been invested in many years I can understand them being embarassed.
Charles wore a very smart uniform when he was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969. It was the Duke of Windsor who was embarrassed at the garb he had to wear when he was invested in 1911.

i'm sorry to be slow this morning but what is a chav?
is it a thug?ruffian? gang member? i've never heard the word. thanks

I'm from Ireland and so its like a pikey. A chav is an term that refers to someone who acts and dresses like a hooligan with lots of jewerly and clothing that is reminiscent of hip hop rappers. It can also be an offensive term that is meant to identify a person as white trash.

thanks for the info, i was wondering if it was offensive to anyone.

bbb said:
i'm sorry to be slow this morning but what is a chav?
is it a thug?ruffian? gang member? i've never heard the word. thanks

Chav is a slang term which has been in wide use throughout the UK since 2004. It refers to a subcultural stereotype of a person with fashions such as flashy ""bling" jewellery and counterfeit designer clothes or sportswear, an uneducated, uncultured, impoverished background, a tendency to congregate around places such as fast-foodoutlets, bus stops, or other shopping areas, and a culture of antisocial behaviour.

From Wikipedia and pretty accurate.:)

Skydragon said:
Yes people do have the surname Wales, Scott, English etc, they are all fairly common names I think. :)
We don't know what is on his credit card, it could be W. Wales.

Agreed; I know a few people here in Canada with surnames like the ones you mentioned, including England, so I wouldn't say the last name Wales automatically indicates to the average person some form of royal status.

Well I think that shows PW's sense of humor as dressing up like a chav lol the pics are quite amusing.

kaydura0717 said:
Well I think that shows PW's sense of humor as dressing up like a chav lol the pics are quite amusing.

Apparently The Guardian doesn't agree with you. Here's an article about the chav thing:
The Bottom of the Class

I think this article is taking things too seriously. Obviously William was just dressing up, it doens't mean that he's degrading their class or whatever.

Skydragon said:
Chav is a slang term which has been in wide use throughout the UK since 2004. It refers to a subcultural stereotype of a person with fashions such as flashy ""bling" jewellery and counterfeit designer clothes or sportswear, an uneducated, uncultured, impoverished background, a tendency to congregate around places such as fast-foodoutlets, bus stops, or other shopping areas, and a culture of antisocial behaviour.
Is they mod'lin' themselfs on Ali G? :D

Warren said:
Is they mod'lin' themselfs on Ali G? :D

Warren, you can't say that. According to the Guardian that is a class based statement! Seriously, I think Ali G is further up the evolutionary scale than the normal chav and that is saying something! :D

When does William graduate? I wonder if he'll be participating in next year's Sovereign's Parade like Harry is this year? Or is he in another regiment?

ysbel said:
When does William graduate? I wonder if he'll be participating in next year's Sovereign's Parade like Harry is this year? Or is he in another regiment?

All officer cadets, if they pass out, do so at the sovereigns parade. It is called that whether the sovereign is there or not. He has got another 2 terms of 14 weeks training to do yet. There is normally a weeks break between terms and his week of 'adventure' training.

William has not announced which regiment he is hoping to get into, yet.

regardez said:
Apparently The Guardian doesn't agree with you. Here's an article about the chav thing:
The Bottom of the Class

I think this article is taking things too seriously. Obviously William was just dressing up, it doens't mean that he's degrading their class or whatever.

I think William just flowed with the flow and tried to be like the rest of the guys. He probably will regret the picture later on. Yes, he can have fun, but this doesn't appear to be the William that can have a good time, but has a serious side to him, IMO. This was probably a bunch of other cadets idea, but William is part of a team now.

Yeah he was probably just trying to fit in and be on of the guys. Somehow I knew papers were going to take this the wrong way.

So we know Harry Leaves Tomorrow How long does William have left :)

I'm not going to pass judgement on the article from the Guardian because I really can't talk about a culture that I don't belong to without generalizing... but it seems to take the Prince William story much too seriously.

April 12, 2006; Wills with Royal family at Sandhurst for Harry's commissioning out of Sandhurst (Tim Graham/getty images)

Attachments

• 57326919.jpg
    57326919.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 57326921.jpg
    57326921.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 57326925.jpg
    57326925.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 57326939.jpg
    57326939.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 57327224.jpg
    57327224.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 207
Both of the boys look rather Good their Uniforms how come Harry Still has the same Uniform I thought it would look different

The boys both look good. I guess all the hype that the girlfriends would be there was wrong. That makes sense, it looks like a family afair.Is that picture of William saluting Harry? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom