The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
most of the British remember that Prince Charles, Queen Elisabeth & Prince Philips son, is the Royal parent that matters.
I wouldn't say that. He is the parent who does matter practically, but still, Diana is as much of a royal than Charles in people's conscience. Look at how she is still wrongly referred as Princess Diana. I agree that William would have had that much attention outside Britain if he wasn't Diana's son.

Happy Valentine everyone.

Will and Kate are on Hello this week (Hello)

I peeped through the issue and they interviewed many famous royal watchers and journalists (Ingrid Seward, Piers Morgan, etc.) who all unanimous Kate is the best thing to ever grace this planet :p.
Just by memory, the comments were of the kind:
"level-headed, attractive, down-to-hearth, great support to William, never set a feet wrong, intelligent, bla, bla, bla". One person said that the fact that she is a middle-class girl would make the monarchy more relevant.
The only wrong note was James Whitaker who said that she is just a middle-class girl and does dot have the proper background. He says something like: "It does not mater as much as it used to, but it still matters as hell".
That sounds so much like Branchg I am actually wondering if he is not Whitaker in disguise posting on the RF!

Old 02-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
I wouldn't say that. He is the parent who does matter practically, but still, Diana is as much of a royal than Charles in people's conscience. Look at how she is still wrongly referred as Princess Diana. I agree that William would have had that much attention outside Britain if he wasn't Diana's son.

That sounds so much like Branchg I am actually wondering if he is not Whitaker in disguise posting on the RF!
He would still be famous in the UK, as Prince Charles and Princess somethings son. Had you heard of his mother before she married Charles, 99.9% of people hadn't, therefore as I said, William would still be known as the son of Prince Charles.:)

Old 02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Idriel, I think Di definitely raised the profile of the BFR all over the world.

So I guess there is truth in saying that Will is quite famous because of his mother's legacy. I guess you can also see this if you compare the popularity of other young royals eg Caroline of Monaco's children and clearly Will is much more well known the world over.

However, Will is also his father's son so I guess he would have always had a level of curiosity around him regardless of if he'd a different woman as his mother. Di just magnified the popularity imo.
:)
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
You know I hear a lot of you saying that Kate is being clever and staying out of the lime light and not giving the media anything to write about, which I think is true, but at the same time find a little worrying. Sure, she should be quite and everything but I sure do hope that she changes.
I actually find that fact rather comforting. I think the media hysteria around Diana hurt the Royal Family in a lot of ways. Their reputation hardly remained intact after the ordeal. Its the price of massive publicity. Every minor flaw is blown up to major proportions.

The Royal Family needs some publicity but its doubtful whether they need much publicity outside of the U.K. I think the lowering in the BRF popularity in the UK, if it exists, is more the result of Tony Blair's pushing the Prime Minister position into a Presidential role like that of George Bush. The more the Prime Minister acts like the President of the United States, then the more likely a country might feel that the monarch and the Royal Family is less relevant and useful in today's society.

Other factors didn't help the Royal Family though. I think the scandals surrounding Diana's and Charles' marriage really created a dent in the reputation of the Royal Family from which they are only now just beginning to recover. But I don't think publicity or lack of publicity is the main factor hurting the Royal Family now.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Commoner

Prince William/Kate Middleton

I really think people should allow the prince and his girl friend Miss Middleton alone. Allow them the space they need to figure out if the life of royalty is really a life Miss Middleton really wants. I think it's terrible for them to live together before marriage. I thought the Queen was the head of the church.
But than William's witnessed his father living with a woman so son like father.

After the Queen Elizabeth's reign is over I say forget the monarchy. They look like everyone else. What a shame!!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsy
But than William's witnessed his father living with a woman so son like father.

After the Queen Elizabeth's reign is over I say forget the monarchy. They look like everyone else. What a shame!!
I think W&K already lived together when they were still at uni. But they were also sharing a house with others, though we don't know if they shared a room in that house.

Yes, I also think that the BRF will be the first to be obolished in Europe.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I actually find that fact rather comforting. I think the media hysteria around Diana hurt the Royal Family in a lot of ways.

The Royal Family needs some publicity but its doubtful whether they need much publicity outside of the U.K.
Very well said Ysbel, we really don't need the media hype again.:(
Old 02-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsy
I think there would be very few in the UK who would agree with you and a lot in the commonwealth countries who wouldn't as well. Most Britons are still not sold on the idea of a republic.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Yes of course he would, in Britain.
Whilst members of some other countries only remember the celebrity factor of his mother, most of the British remember that Prince Charles, Queen Elisabeth & Prince Philips son, is the Royal parent that matters.
I don't think so.:)
Look at Zara Phillips or Fregie's daughters...None of them recieve HALF the press these men recieve, and I think that has to do a lot with who thier mothers were.:)
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
Idriel, I think Di definitely raised the profile of the BFR all over the world.

So I guess there is truth in saying that Will is quite famous because of his mother's legacy. I guess you can also see this if you compare the popularity of other young royals eg Caroline of Monaco's children and clearly Will is much more well known the world over.

However, Will is also his father's son so I guess he would have always had a level of curiosity around him regardless of if he'd a different woman as his mother. Di just magnified the popularity imo.
:)
You know everytime they talk about Prince William or Harry on news, (which lasts about 2-3 minutes:( ) usually starts out like this: "Late Princess Diana's sons, William and Harry," so yes, while they are capable of creating their own press, I am a firm believer that without their mothers help and press, none of us, or should I say, ME would even know what they look like. OK, maybe that's taking it a little far, but I hope you know what I mean. :)
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Nobility

I think if she DOES become William's wife, she will resemble Princess Mary a lot, public wise. I don't think she will be the next "Diana" or whatever.:)
Old 02-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Aristocracy

Lara,

I also think she reminds me a lot of Mary of Dk! :p

I think they do look a like in a few photos that I have seen of Kate.

I am not sure though if she'll have a similar public image as Mary though...
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Lara,

Really? Do you think Kate will be MORE or LESS famous? How so? :)
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Really? Do you think Kate will be MORE or LESS famous? How so? :)
In terms of press coverage, Kate will get more because of GB's connections with the US and the commonwealth, Mary is probably only famous in Dk and Australia.

William is also one of the most popular if not the most popular member of the BRF. So his wife (whether Kate or not) will attract a lot of attention.

MJ :p
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
In terms of press coverage, Kate will get more because of GB's connections with the US and the commonwealth, Mary is probably only famous in Dk and Australia.

William is also one of the most popular if not the most popular member of the BRF. So his wife (whether Kate or not) will attract a lot of attention.

MJ :p
I see.

But I hate to break it to you, but in the U.S other than that POEPLE magazine cover, there hasn't been ANYTHING about the couple in the news or entertainment news.There hasn't been anything after that.:o :)
Old 02-15-2006, 05:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't think so.:)
Look at Zara Phillips or Fregie's daughters...None of them recieve HALF the press these men recieve, and I think that has to do a lot with who thier mothers were.:)
I knew very little about Mary or Letizia (examples only) before coming onTRF. In their own countries they are well known.
Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie, have been kept out of the news by not having titles, they only ever stood a remote chance of attaining the throne.

Anne, Andrew and Edward got and get less publicity, again because they are not the heir but, the British know they are Charles' sister and brothers.

Most Britons know who Prince Charles is and would also have known who his children are regardless of who he had married. His children would have been in the news in the UK regardless of who their mother was.:)
Old 02-15-2006, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But I hate to break it to you, but in the U.S other than that POEPLE magazine cover, there hasn't been ANYTHING about the couple in the news or entertainment news.There hasn't been anything after that.:o :)
The exact point I was trying to make to Idriel. It is news for people in the UK but, other countries really do have other interests and concerns.:)
Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Aristocracy

In this week's New Idea, we reveal Prince William is planning to marry Kate Middleton. Are they a good match?

Royal engagement — Prince William proposes to Kate
A wedding is on the cards for Prince William and girlfriend Kate Middleton as a secret engagement is arranged behind palace doors. Woman's Day can reveal that the 23-year-old Prince has secretly popped the question to his girlfriend of four years. However an official announcement won't be made until he finishes at the Royal Military Academy later this year.

this is what is been published in 2 Australian Magazines
Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Lara,

kate reminds me most of victoria of sweden. on some photos of kate i accidentally think its victoria.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
In this week's New Idea, we reveal Prince William is planning to marry Kate Middleton. Are they a good match?

Royal engagement — Prince William proposes to Kate
A wedding is on the cards for Prince William and girlfriend Kate Middleton as a secret engagement is arranged behind palace doors. Woman's Day can reveal that the 23-year-old Prince has secretly popped the question to his girlfriend of four years. However an official announcement won't be made until he finishes at the Royal Military Academy later this year.

this is what is been published in 2 Australian Magazines
Do they have proof of this or is it a case of 'sources close to the prince' , or 'we need to sell more magazines, so I got my crystal ball out'.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william