The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Hmm. Left of centre usually is republican leaning isn't it? at least in Australia anyway:)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/0...405150,00.html

I've read some of the articles presented there; in my humble opinion, The Gaurdian is a republican paper.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Nobility

I don't think a laser eye surgery is a good idea. the surgery is a comparatively new tech, what if the bad symptoms start to show after 10 or 20 years of the surgery?

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
I don't think a laser eye surgery is a good idea. the surgery is a comparatively new tech, what if the bad symptoms start to show after 10 or 20 years of the surgery?
I guess we can only hope he does his research, knows the risks, and hears out the advice of the experts.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I don't know......... Charles went to Gordonstoun. Granted, Charles is a helleva lot more liberal than most royals, but he still sells out. Charles has tried breaking out of the box but people just laughed at him. So he dove back into the traditional box and played the game. The only way he could be taken seriously is a way he'd never go. He'd have to give up everything he knows, the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Charles won't do that. William sure won't. What would he do without his polo ponies?his precious motorcycle?
Charles of course was at Gordanstoun in the 1960s while my friends were teaching at those schools in the 1990s shortly before William and Harry went to Eton. They compare the schools' ethos now rather than in the 60s. The main point they make is that the two schools now have very different attitudes to how their students should regard themselves and the rest of the world - with Eton emphasising that the boys are better than everyone else just because they are Etonians while Gordanstoun encourages the pupils to believe in equality for all. It is that attitude of the schools in the 1990s that has them believing that the young princes would have been better off at their father's, uncles and grandfather's former school.

Yes, Charles has tried to be controversial at times and in the 1970s he was always portrayed as the Prince of Wales who was most in touch with ordinary people and this was often put down to his education and his parents insistence on educating him away from the palace as well. His conservatism seemed to grow in the 1980s after he married a scion of one of the traditional aristocracy, whose father and brother had travelled that very standard aristocratic path that the boys then followed.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Hmm. Left of centre usually is republican leaning isn't it? at least in Australia anyway:)
in the United States the right wing is republican...

did you all take the quizz-- http://www.guardian.co.uk/quiz/quest...660243,00.html
about Prince Philip??

Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
in the United States the right wing is republican...
Yeah but USA is not a monarchy nor is a monarchist country. I don't see the relievence...

Thankx for the Quizz. I got all right (apparently I'm related). I know it's terrible but Philip makes me roar with laughter. I'd love a dinner with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
His conservatism seemed to grow in the 1980s after he married a scion of one of the traditional aristocracy, whose father and brother had travelled that very standard aristocratic path that the boys then followed.
I find the suggestion that Diana or any of the Spencer could possibly have any influence on him (especially political) quite ridiculous to be honest.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Yeah but USA is not a monarchy nor is a monarchist country. I don't see the relievence...

Thankx for the Quizz. I got all right (apparently I'm related). I know it's terrible but Philip makes me roar with laughter. I'd love a dinner with him.
we were talking about the paper...

He makes me laugh too! I don't think I would be able to eat though--I would be laughing to much.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Courtier

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/index/0,...ticleid=110744

Charlton ready for visit of Prince William

(AFP) 25 Oct 2005

Britain's Prince William, a football fan, could find himself taking part in a kickabout with top-flight players when he visits highflying English Premiership side Charlton's training ground on Friday. William, the eldest son of Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, is due to succeed his uncle, the Duke of York, as president of English governing body the Football Association in May.

As part of his role as president-designate William, 23, who supports Aston Villa, will visit Charlton's Sparrows Lane training ground in south-east London on Friday.

He will see the work being carried out by the Charlton's award-winning community department, and meet a number of local schoolchildren before linking up with members of the Addicks' first-team squad prior to their Premiership match against Bolton at The Valley on Saturday.
(...)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I find the suggestion that Diana or any of the Spencer could possibly have any influence on him (especially political) quite ridiculous to be honest.
Idriel, I respect your opinion.

Mine is based on my remembrances of a very outgoing, down-to-earth, approachable and incredibly popular Prince of Wales who visited Australia a number of times in the 1970s and was seen as one of the people and one with the people.

Then he marries and that image changes. He is seen as remote and removed from the people. What changed? Did he suddenly decide that the path he was following in the 1970s was wrong? I don't know but I do know the change appeared to happen after his marriage. Maybe it was coincidence or maybe it was the influence of his wife. I have a clear timeline of when the image we have been presented with of him changed and it is about the time of his marriage. That is my point and nothing more.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Idriel, I respect your opinion.
Thank you for that and be sure the courtesy is mutual (sorry if I sounded harsh).

What makes me think Diana or the Spencers did not have any influence on him is that he did not really loved her enough to really care and anyway Diana was notoriously empty headed as far as politics (or any really serious subject) was involved, and the Spencers... well he was never remotly close to them, was he?
Maybe the difficulties of his marriage (and the fact that Diana did not turn out to be so maleable eventually) put a strain on him in the 1070s.
If a conservative influence there was (but I'm pretty sure Charles has always been like that), I would look at Camilla, who all her life lived tha typically upper-class country life.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thank you for that and be sure the courtesy is mutual (sorry if I sounded harsh).

What makes me think Diana or the Spencers did not have any influence on him is that he did not really loved her enough to really care and anyway Diana was notoriously empty headed as far as politics (or any really serious subject) was involved, and the Spencers... well he was never remotly close to them, was he?
Maybe the difficulties of his marriage (and the fact that Diana did not turn out to be so maleable eventually) put a strain on him in the 1070s.
If a conservative influence there was (but I'm pretty sure Charles has always been like that), I would look at Camilla, who all her life lived tha typically upper-class country life.
But Camilla was there in the 1970s so why didn't she have that influence over him then rather than wait until after he married in the 1980s to change?

I think we may also be talking about slightly different aspects of Charles' personality etc. He would always have been a bit Conservative leaning politically (that is to the right) as he will be a monarch one day and the left is more opposed to that.

He was however, far more a people's prince and one who people (certainly those I was mixing with at the time) felt understood the ordinary man/woman in the street before his marriage rather than after it. It may have simply been that as he got older he grew away from that aspect of his life - after he left the navy, got married, had kids etc. It may have been going to happen anyway and the timing just coincided with his marriage but after the early 1980s he seemed less in touch with ordinary people than he had been in the 1970s. That is not the same as politics or anything like that.

I always love reading how William is the saviour of the monarch and a people's prince etc and then thinking back to the 1970s and remembering when those exact same headlines were written about Charles. My grandmother would say then that those were the headlines she remembers from the 1920s about the Duke of Windsor (although they didn't use the term 'saviour' but 'future' she said). Maybe it is a generational thing - we see the Prince of our generation being the saviour and most in touch with us when in reality they are simply being princes and doing the same things that has always been done.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Courtier

New pictures which he play footbaLL Charlton with youngers...

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...56025228&cdi=0

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...56025219&cdi=0

and more photos at http://www/gettyimages.com

and bbcnews..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4385112.stm
Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

William gets addickted

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...454205,00.html
Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Nobility

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/fotos_...8/index_4.html

one more photo of William
Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles & Prince Wiliam Visit Merton College
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=3&tag=1
Old 10-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charlton Athletic FC - Royal Visit
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=3&tag=2
Old 10-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure if these pics were posted yet :o ...Newscom...

They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Courtier

More from Newscom....

They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William did an interview like thing (saw it on BBC News) about his new job with football. He only said that he wants to spread its popularity to other places because it is wonderful and the sportsmanship is a great thing for children to learn.

Anyway what was the rule he couldn't explain?? That part was funny...

Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Commoner

It was the offside rule which is rather difficult to explain actually

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william