The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Question Did you know Will wears contact lenses?

From the Sunday Mirror

WILLS WANTS LASER EYE OP
Prince desperate not to wear specs
By Ben Harvey
PRINCE William is planning to have controversial laser eye surgery so he doesn't have to wear specs.

The 23-year-old is considering undergoing the surgery in the next few months after seeing a consultant at the world-renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. The op involves slicing the front of the eye and training a laser on the exposed cornea.

William's main worry is it may put his Army career in jeopardy - potential recruits can't apply to sign up until at least a year after surgery.

A royal source said last night: "William has found out he may have to wear glasses full-time and he's been very keen to explore the possibility of laser eye surgery.

"He's gone into hospital and seen a consultant, who's explained how it works and the risks involved.

"He knows it's controversial and there are issues with joining the Army but he's positive about the idea."

Old 10-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope he looks at all the options, Laser eye surgery can be dangerous.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
I hope he looks at all the options, Laser eye surgery can be dangerous.
Well, if he has laser eye surgery, then he can fly fighter jets. You cannot fly fighter jets unless your eyesight is 20/20 and this cannot be done if your vision is corrected by lenses or contacts. It has to be 20/20 without lens correction. So he'd only be able to achieve this with laser eye surgery. That could be part of his wanting this.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Nobility

Post Prince William Current Events part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Well, if he has laser eye surgery, then he can fly fighter jets. You cannot fly fighter jets unless your eyesight is 20/20 and this cannot be done if your vision is corrected by lenses or contacts. It has to be 20/20 without lens correction. So he'd only be able to achieve this with laser eye surgery. That could be part of his wanting this.
I believe that Prince William would be to tall to fly fighter jets he is 6 feet 4 inches tall. He would however be able to do Helecopter training and be pilot.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981
I believe that Prince William would be to tall to fly fighter jets he is 6 feet 4 inches tall. He would however be able to do Helecopter training and be pilot.
He could fly anything without the eye surgery except fighter jets. So if it's a matter of flying helicopters or some other jet other than a fighter jet, then he's all set. Only fighter jets require 20/20 without correction. Other planes require 20/20, but it's fine to wear contacts or glasses.
:)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If something goes wrong he wont be able to fly--if he is blind.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
If something goes wrong he wont be able to fly--if he is blind.
HPS, there is risk with every surgery. Laser eye surgery has been around for more than five years that i'm aware of. When it was "new" it had many complications but it has been improved tremendously since that time. Of course there is still risk, but considerably less, and medicine continues to grow and improve. Besides, Prince William has the best doctors in the UK. He could even afford to go to another country to get the procedure done by a foreign who is especially noted in optometry, if that's what he wanted to do. His resources are boundless. Also, whoever performs the surgery will be so insanely careful because the person who messes up William's eyes will never work as a doctor again. They would be ruined for life.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought about that...if they messed up his eyes---have there been any blind kings before??

Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 AM

a blind king? good question. I don't know. Sounds very Shakespearian. There have been blind royals before. I think Princess Margaret was legally blind the last years of her life.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Also, whoever performs the surgery will be so insanely careful because the person who messes up William's eyes will never work as a doctor again. They would be ruined for life.
Awww….this is the scary part. Any Doc (s) volunteers in this forum ? LMAO
Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
have there been any blind kings before??
King George V of Hanover (born a British Prince as Prince George of Cumberland). He lost his sight in one eye due to a childhood illness, and in the other eye in an accident. He was second in line to the British throne until the birth of Queen Victoria's first child.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

I didn't realize wearing glasses is such tragidy for William. Guess he doesn't like going bald and be-spectacled at the same time. I think glasses will help boost his budding image as an intellectual royal.

Anyway, here is an interesting take from Guardian on his army "career":
http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/s...599271,00.html
Old 10-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
Anyway, here is an interesting take from Guardian on his army "career":
http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/s...599271,00.html
It would appear from this article that the Danish princeling isn't the only one suffering a touch of jaundice at the moment.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the author has a point, but if he really thinks William was going to spend his time being a teacher or a cartographer, he's fantasising.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Isn't the Guardian a republican paper?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's a paper that, editorially, is left of centre. As far as being republican, I'm not sure.

These days The Times, a Murdoch paper, seems to be fairly republican. The Independent always was.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM

God, William, can you be anymore boring? So conservative. So Blah. Why can't we have a truly liberal British royal who reaches out beyond his class?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
God, William, can you be anymore boring? So conservative. So Blah. Why can't we have a truly liberal British royal who reaches out beyond his class?
William's whole education has been the archetypal rich, aristocratic education of his mother's class - Eton, University (Oxbridge or in his case St Andrews), and now followed by Sandhurst and possibly The Guards.

I have had two friends who taught for a couple of years each at Eton on exchange programmes and the thing they hated most about teaching there was the belief among the boys and staff that the boys were better than everybody else. I have had another friend who did an exchange to teach at Gordanstaun (sp) but she says that view is actively discouraged there. Having the three of them for dinner can be fun whenever there is news about Harry/William as they all believe they would have been better off following their father's schooling rather than Diana's family. They believe that at Gordanstaun (sp) they would have been more in tune with ordinary people than in the elitist Eton.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
William's whole education has been the archetypal rich, aristocratic education of his mother's class - Eton, University (Oxbridge or in his case St Andrews), and now followed by Sandhurst and possibly The Guards.

I have had two friends who taught for a couple of years each at Eton on exchange programmes and the thing they hated most about teaching there was the belief among the boys and staff that the boys were better than everybody else. I have had another friend who did an exchange to teach at Gordanstaun (sp) but she says that view is actively discouraged there. Having the three of them for dinner can be fun whenever there is news about Harry/William as they all believe they would have been better off following their father's schooling rather than Diana's family. They believe that at Gordanstaun (sp) they would have been more in tune with ordinary people than in the elitist Eton.
I don't know......... Charles went to Gordonstoun. Granted, Charles is a helleva lot more liberal than most royals, but he still sells out. Charles has tried breaking out of the box but people just laughed at him. So he dove back into the traditional box and played the game. The only way he could be taken seriously is a way he'd never go. He'd have to give up everything he knows, the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Charles won't do that. William sure won't. What would he do without his polo ponies?his precious motorcycle?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
It's a paper that, editorially, is left of centre. As far as being republican, I'm not sure.

These days The Times, a Murdoch paper, seems to be fairly republican. The Independent always was.
Hmm. Left of centre usually is republican leaning isn't it? at least in Australia anyway:)

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william