The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

William has done an exemplary job on his tour. I'm confident when the time comes he should be a great King.

I remember when a 9-year old Australian girl who survived cancer wrote to countless politicians and to William and Harry, very few politicians bothered to answer. But William and Harry wrote back almost immediately.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Nobility

This may have been mentioned upthread, but did William take a government fight or a commercial flight to NZ and Australia?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
William was not representing the Queen on his visit to New Zealand in 2005
Of course he was.

Quote:
Prince William visits New Zealand - Gallery 4

6th July 2005
Prince William visited New Zealand at the invitation of British and Irish Lions coach, Sir Clive Woodward. He will spend time with the team on the training ground and conduct some engagements on behalf of the Queen.
The Prince of Wales - Prince William visits New Zealand - Gallery 4

On this recent occasion, it was strictly his idea even though he mentioned his family.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
This may have been mentioned upthread, but did William take a government fight or a commercial flight to NZ and Australia?
I am guessing that these were all commercial flights.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

O.k. maybe not the right spot for this but... What happened to the special program that was supposed to be on regarding William and Harry? I looked on all our channels here in Hawaii and couldnt find a thing. Are they not showing any of the specials on American television? I was so looking forward to watching them before the wedding.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
O.k. maybe not the right spot for this but... What happened to the special program that was supposed to be on regarding William and Harry? I looked on all our channels here in Hawaii and couldnt find a thing. Are they not showing any of the specials on American television? I was so looking forward to watching them before the wedding.
Aloha LadyGabrielle! Which program are you referring to? I don't recall one being advertised for Princes Harry and William.

BTW, I moved to Texas from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii! What was I thinking?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle
A special on the princes aired twice on BBC America where I live last night.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David V View Post
I remember when a 9-year old Australian girl who survived cancer wrote to countless politicians and to William and Harry, very few politicians bothered to answer. But William and Harry wrote back almost immediately.
I am not surprised somehow! Wonderful story about 2 caring young men!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Prince William travelled in economy class during New Zealand trip - Telegraph

Prince William flew "cattle class" under the pseudonym Mr Pinkerton-Smith during his recent visit to New Zealand, it has emerged.

The Prince and his security team are understood to have taken their seats with other passengers in the economy class cabin of an Air New Zealand Boeing 737 on the flight from Auckland to the earthquake-stricken city of Christchurch.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

There is no other class...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince William travelled in economy class during New Zealand trip - Telegraph

Prince William flew "cattle class" under the pseudonym Mr Pinkerton-Smith during his recent visit to New Zealand, it has emerged.

The Prince and his security team are understood to have taken their seats with other passengers in the economy class cabin of an Air New Zealand Boeing 737 on the flight from Auckland to the earthquake-stricken city of Christchurch.
...on Air New Zealand 737s (seatguru.com). Since William is a helicopter pilot, he is probably used to uncomfortable seats, though.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I simply do not believe what this story is trying to say. Not for a minute. He and his bodyguards may have flown with a passle of press reps. on a bought-out flight, but regular passengers would never have been allowed to fly on this plane.

He would be recognizable to most commonwealth citizens, which would have caused a riot.

C'mon, get real!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM

I agree with KittyAtlanta......however if the story is true, its a risky yet a commendable effort on William's side.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I simply do not believe what this story is trying to say. Not for a minute. He and his bodyguards may have flown with a passle of press reps. on a bought-out flight, but regular passengers would never have been allowed to fly on this plane.

He would be recognizable to most commonwealth citizens, which would have caused a riot.

C'mon, get real!
William (and other members of the BRF) has flown of commercial flights on a number of occassions previously, and I am reasonably sure other passengers would have been allowed onto the Air NZ flight.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
William (and other members of the BRF) has flown of commercial flights on a number of occassions previously, and I am reasonably sure other passengers would have been allowed onto the Air NZ flight.
You're right, the family has. And considering all the horrible press about Andrew and the hundreds of thousands he spends on private jets for his work, I'd not be surprised if William flew commercial. I think the part about coach is likely a joke though. Maybe he was up alone in first class, easier to clear out first class, than the entire airplane.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
A special on the princes aired twice on BBC America where I live last night.
Yes thats the one! I looked for it on my listings here and there was'nt anything. Is it only on BBC America? If so I dont think we get that channel here for some ghastly reason. I hope I can figure it out before the next program on the 29th.Thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
They do fly commercial, but they RENT THE ENTIRE AIRCRAFT. Do you really think that they would let just any ticket holder on the same plane as PW?

How absurd.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

C'mon, get real!
I tend to think that even if William did fly with the ordinary commonweath citizens, there would be no more of a riot than those folks that congregated to meet with William on his tour. When recognized, I'd bet he would have been treated with respect.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They do fly commercial, but they RENT THE ENTIRE AIRCRAFT. Do you really think that they would let just any ticket holder on the same plane as PW?

How absurd.
When the Queen flew to New Zealand in 1995 on Air New Zealand, she didn't "rent the entire aircraft." The palace did make use of, I believe, the entire first class section and upper-deck business class section, but economy class was still chock full of ordinary people flying from London and Los Angeles to Auckland (not all of whom were pleased with the extra time it added on each end of the flight).

It's not the first time that it's been reported that he flew in economy class with other passengers, either.

Prince William elects to fly economy as the recession bites - Telegraph

"When the 26-year-old prince flew off to Courchevel for a skiing holiday with his girlfriend Kate Middleton and her family earlier this month, it went unreported that the second in line to the throne sat among the economy passengers on the British Airways Heathrow to Geneva flight."

Prince's Kate Goes Shooting With Charles - The Daily Record

"Kate is today expected to accompany William, Prince Charles and Camilla to Kirk at Crathie Church near Balmoral Castle. She and Prince William flew in to Aberdeen on Thursday night on a scheduled British Airways flight from London.

"During the flight the couple sat in the second row at the front of the aircraft."

Prince William and Prince Harry ride rough for charity - Times Online

"The princes have been regular visitors to southern Africa in recent years and flew to Durban economy class for the trek, staying at the same hotel as their fellow bikers. "
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I dunno where to put this, so please move if needed.
Prince of Wales 'more popular choice for king than Prince William' - Telegraph
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I dunno where to put this, so please move if needed.
Prince of Wales 'more popular choice for king than Prince William' - Telegraph

I should hope so. No offense to William intended, but Charles has been groomed his whole life for this, and to my knowledge, William has no experience whatsoever in anything that he would be expected to do upon assuming the throne.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread