The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent

He was quite specific about representing HM however it seems that he had made his "availability" known and an invitation was immediately for coming. I think HM would not have asked him to go as it is so close to his wedding but, since he asked I think she was more than happy to dispatch her very own personal representative. An he did her proud! Both here in Christchurch and over on the West Coast in Greymouth he was greeted with great joy and people seemed to really appreciate that he had made a personal sacrifice to be there,

His speech at the memorial service was really well received and his "walkabout's" were chaotic but even more well received. The stock of the British Royal Family went up with a huge bounce as a result of his visit to here alone. His grasp of the term "Munted!" and his use of Kia Kaha were great.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
Juat finished watching the memorial service, it was great to watch and very moving. William is a very good young man. I love the bit where he met memebers of the familes that had lost loved 1's and he was talking to a young boy and asked the young boy what his teddies name was, it was very cute.
Was this during the memorial service? If so aw cute I'd love to see video of that.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It's a shame we weren't told William had expressed interest and that the invitation was extended to him, not to his grandmother. It might have prevented my uncharitable thoughts about his father.
This is another thing that impresses me about William. There is no arrogance and sense of self importance in this guy. He really wanted to go there to do what he could for the people and saw no need to shout out "Look at what I'm doing next!" to draw attention to himself and his kind acts. This is very much in synch with a man that chooses a profession to serve the people both in SAR and later in life... as King.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Nobility

Madame Royale, the prime minister of New Zealand himself told the HERALD NEW ZEALAND that he received a called from BPalace at the demand from Prince William desire to go to NZ and Australia to tour the disasters zone. And the prime minister accept immediatly. William - it's normal - was a representative of the Queen during the memorial service because was present the two prime ministers and the representative - william - of the head of state - the Queen. But the whole trip downunder was at his demand/initiative. I think we can just believe in the prime minister of NZ. Normal that during the ceremony he reports a little speech from the head of state and in this special case he just could be her representative.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The slightly non-traditional aspect to him (the sneakers) in no way detracts from his overall charm.
The slightly non-traditional aspect of him (e.g., his sneakers) is a big part of his overall charm. He seems to care more about the important things. In other words, he has his priorities straight.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Madame Royale, the prime minister of New Zealand himself told the HERALD NEW ZEALAND that he received a called from BPalace at the demand from Prince William desire to go to NZ and Australia to tour the disasters zone. And the prime minister accept immediatly. William - it's normal - was a representative of the Queen during the memorial service because was present the two prime ministers and the representative - william - of the head of state - the Queen. But the whole trip downunder was at his demand/initiative. I think we can just believe in the prime minister of NZ. Normal that during the ceremony he reports a little speech from the head of state and in this special case he just could be her representative.
Thank you for clearing that up. :)
before scrutinizing every little thing he does, let's get the facts straight
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
The slightly non-traditional aspect of him (e.g., his sneakers) is a big part of his overall charm. He seems to care more about the important things. In other words, he has his priorities straight.
How dare he??! outrageous!!

g-zus!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Just watching the news and it showed a snippet of William's speech today. I was interested in a certain phrase he used.

"Grief is the price they pay, for love."

I'm not sure if that was a part of the message he conveyed on his grandmothers behalf, or whether or not he said it on his own accord, but...

"Grief is the price we pay, for love" was initially coined by HM the Queen and sent in a message of condolence which was read aloud on her behalf during a church service in New York after the September 11 attacks in 2001.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I checked and his exact words were " My grandmother once said that grief is the price we pay for love"
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
Lets be clear that the sneakers were not used at an official engagement but for lunch with Catherine and Pippa.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Prince William Visits New Zealand - Day 2
March 18, 2011

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Prince William remembers NZ and Japan quake victims

Prince William remembers NZ and Japan quake victims
Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Royal Highness

People know that from his chosen profession as a search and Rescue Pilot, this prince is genuine in his wish to help and comfort people in need. Charles must be very proud to have such an heir!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Royal Highness

Is it just me or is there less coverage of this trip to New Zealand this time for Prince William?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator

There doesn't seem to be a lot of UK coverage, but a lot is going on in the world right now (the tsunami in Japan for example).

From what I can see it is receiving coverage in NZ, but the emphasis is different. More of a respectful, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

The visit was certainly well covered and very well received here in NZ and Christchurch and Greymouth in particular. I don't think they allowed media from overseas much access as the Memorial service was sent out in a pool from the State broadcaster TV NZ. We watched the introduction on our TV3 because we prefer the anchors but the service itself was TVNZ totally uninterrupted and as for his travel into the Red Zone, I can't see a massive journo train being given permission to follow there either.

This was for us and Prince William did his Father and Grandmother proud. For those who have muttered republican rhetoric of late, well I think that just got well and truly squashed by the "Prince William Charm Offensive", which was impressive to say the least.

On his visit to the Eastern suburbs he was all but mobbed by those who were both touched and a little overwhelmed that he took time out to visit them when they know he has a "real" job and a wedding within the month. That meant a lot and he came across as an honest, caring and compassionate man without gushing platitudes. We don't need them and he did not insult us by offering any.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Prince William Visits New Zealand - Day 2
March 18, 2011

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato
I love the picture of William with the little Superman. He seems to be a natural with children.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl4 View Post
I love the picture of William with the little Superman. He seems to be a natural with children.
You beat me to it :P I was just going to post this
http://ego.globo.com/Gente/foto/0,,46948928-EXH,00.jpg

and acknowledge the adorabless of the situation,
Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The visit was certainly well covered and very well received here in NZ and Christchurch and Greymouth in particular. I don't think they allowed media from overseas much access as the Memorial service was sent out in a pool from the State broadcaster TV NZ. We watched the introduction on our TV3 because we prefer the anchors but the service itself was TVNZ totally uninterrupted and as for his travel into the Red Zone, I can't see a massive journo train being given permission to follow there either.

This was for us and Prince William did his Father and Grandmother proud. For those who have muttered republican rhetoric of late, well I think that just got well and truly squashed by the "Prince William Charm Offensive", which was impressive to say the least.

On his visit to the Eastern suburbs he was all but mobbed by those who were both touched and a little overwhelmed that he took time out to visit them when they know he has a "real" job and a wedding within the month. That meant a lot and he came across as an honest, caring and compassionate man without gushing platitudes. We don't need them and he did not insult us by offering any.
Tnks for the post! specially since you are so close to it
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness

Not saying this to start anything, but...

He's going to be a great Dad someday. :o)

Seeing the way he interacts w/children just reminds me so much of his late Mother. So very natural and caring.

And did William really ask that little one what his Teddy Bear's name was? *wibbles*

Oh and Marg, "Prince William Charm Offensive", may I use that? What a great term of what this visit is.