Prince William Current Events 22: January-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else remember?

When Charles went to Australia during his engagement to Diana, there were purportedly secretly recorded phone messages between them, in one of which there was some loverly banter about his thinning hair. I don't recall if they were authenticated or not, but I will be deeply suspicious if the same little jokes are presented again by the tabloid press when William and Catherine are apart.

When Charles went to Australia during his engagement to Diana, there were purportedly secretly recorded phone messages between them, in one of which there was some loverly banter about his thinning hair. I don't recall if they were authenticated or not, but I will be deeply suspicious if the same little jokes are presented again by the tabloid press when William and Catherine are apart.

I doubt there would be much reporting of any light-hearted jokey-ness (regardless of whether it's true or just some "creative" gossip by some media guy somewhere) seeing as William's trip is for a memorial service & just generally has a rather sombre tone as it's all to do with the people who suffered in these various natural disasters. Not saying that everyone will be miserable there but I doubt any PR people will be emphasising any jokes or light-hearted moments between William & anyone back in the UK.

In this whole" give to charity, not to us" thing as in so many other things, William reminds me of his mother.
There is a pic of him on the official British Monarchy Gallery webpage of him on walkbout last week, chatting to a little boy in a wheelchair. For an instant, I thought it was Diana.
William seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so " with it" so" together"
Keep it up!

It is much appreciated that Price William made the effort to come here. I was in Christchurch when the quake struck and it was horrible - the destruction is beyond comprehension. It has been more than three weeks and there is a long road ahead of us. I am without words when I see the pictures of Japan.
In times like that, it is a lovely gesture of him, to do this trip just a few weeks ahead of his own wedding.
I am sure that the Pike River families feel similar.

There has been good coverage of Prince Williams visit on BBC News 24. He looks sure and confident.

Statement by the Prime Minister of New Zealand :[/B]

Prime Minister John Key this morning thanked Prince William and fiancee Kate Middleton for asking people to donate to charities including the Christchurch quake appeal, instead of giving them wedding gifts.
The royal couple have asked anyone intending to give them gifts to instead donate to a charitable gift fund supporting 26 hand-picked charities, one of them the quake relief fund. Mr Key today thanked the couple for their generous support.
"Prince William and Ms Middleton have chosen charities focusing on issues which matter deeply to them and, in the case of the Christchurch earthquake appeal, a charity which reflects the couple's close ties to and affection for New Zealand," he said.
"I believe it's a mark of great respect for New Zealand that the couple have nominated the Christchurch earthquake appeal as one of those charities."
The gesture came as Prince William arrived at Auckland Airport this morning, before his visit to Christchurch and Greymouth this afternoon, and the memorial service tomorrow.
Mr Key again thanked the couple for their support in the wake of the earthquake and the Pike River mine disaster on the West Coast, in which 29 men died in November.
"The prince's support for New Zealand at this time underscores his commitment to the country and I am very pleased to be hosting him for his visit," he said;

And in the same statement, M. Key revealed He received a call from Buckingham Palace a few weeks ago saying William wanted to go to NZ and Australia to visit following the earthquake and flooding in the region. And then the two prime ministers sent their invites to william and NOT TO THE QUEEN as it has been in the english newspapers. William asks and received invitations. I really really like this guy.

the only thing I think about when I see him nowadays is his balding!

And in the same statement, M. Key revealed He received a call from Buckingham Palace a few weeks ago saying William wanted to go to NZ and Australia to visit following the earthquake and flooding in the region. And then the two prime ministers sent their invites to william and NOT TO THE QUEEN as it has been in the english newspapers. William asks and received invitations. I really really like this guy.

I think this answers the debate that had been going on why William went to NZ and Australia instead of Charles. This trip was at the special request of Prince William. With so much going on in his life with his SAR duties and all the run up to his wedding, it shows me what kind of character and compassion this man has. From the reports so far coming in from his visit, it seems that he really has reached out and touched a lot of people on a one on one basis. All I can say is WOW!

It is so good to see Prince William step up to the duties traditionally associated with the Crown. In this day of jet travel, the younger royals should be energetic enough to do some fraction of what George VI and Elizabeth did.

Prince William seems to take all things in stride, confident, relaxed and not "compressed" like some royals seem to be. I think he has grown into a very impressive looking man, with a public persona as well as a private life that befits his status.

The slightly non-traditional aspect to him (the sneakers) in no way detracts from his overall charm. When I think of him these days, I think of how confident his smile has grown in the last year, now that he's made a big life decision. And Kate reflects that loving smile back to him, as he deserves.

Couldn't agree more, Princess K. The long awaited Future of the Monarchy is full speed ahead.

Juat finished watching the memorial service, it was great to watch and very moving. William is a very good young man. I love the bit where he met memebers of the familes that had lost loved 1's and he was talking to a young boy and asked the young boy what his teddies name was, it was very cute.

My students are excited for his visit in the next few days, William is visiting my home town so we are going to be there to see him, he will be meeting people who have been affected and many of my students were so they will be possibly meeting him. I will update you of when he visits

I am more and more impressed by William. I like his attitude very much.

I was toying with the idea of nipping over the border to try and see him while he's in SEQ, but then decided it was not the right occasion; I am not a Queenslander, nor was I affected by the floods, so it would be intrusive and inappropriate.

It's a shame we weren't told William had expressed interest and that the invitation was extended to him, not to his grandmother. It might have prevented my uncharitable thoughts about his father.

:previous: I seem to have missed something? Was it extended to him?

By all accounts it was stated at the time that the invitation was extended to the Queen and it was decided between Elizabeth, the Prince of Wales and Prince William that he should attend.

Futhermore, if the invitation was extended to him, he would have read a message on behalf of himself, and not a message on behalf of his grandmother at the state memorial service one would have thought.

For all intents and purposes, he appears to be representing the Crown.

Last edited:
:previous: He was quite specific about representing HM however it seems that he had made his "availability" known and an invitation was immediately for coming. I think HM would not have asked him to go as it is so close to his wedding but, since he asked I think she was more than happy to dispatch her very own personal representative. An he did her proud! Both here in Christchurch and over on the West Coast in Greymouth he was greeted with great joy and people seemed to really appreciate that he had made a personal sacrifice to be there,

His speech at the memorial service was really well received and his "walkabout's" were chaotic but even more well received. The stock of the British Royal Family went up with a huge bounce as a result of his visit to here alone. His grasp of the term "Munted!" and his use of Kia Kaha were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom