Prince William Current Events 21: January 2010-January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royals have not been big cricket players have they? Or has it just gone unnoticed. I find that odd since cricket is Britain's national sport. And, on the same note, I do not recall that they played a lot of football (soccer). Did any of the royals play cricket or soccer in school?

The Royals have not been big cricket players have they? Or has it just gone unnoticed. I find that odd since cricket is Britain's national sport. And, on the same note, I do not recall that they played a lot of football (soccer). Did any of the royals play cricket or soccer in school?

there was one game and danged if I can't remember the name of it. Both boys (William and Harry) played in school...something to do with a wall and it was specific to the school? I think they both were avid polo players though.

there was one game and danged if I can't remember the name of it. Both boys (William and Harry) played in school...something to do with a wall and it was specific to the school? I think they both were avid polo players though.

The 'Wall Game' is peculiar to Eton.

Both of them, and Peter Philips played Rugby at school but there is no real evidence that they played soccer.

They obviously played cricket in order to be able to play at this sort of event but they aren't really supportive of the game of the masses when it comes to their summer game but that might also be because they grew up in the 80s and 90s when English cricket was a joke on a good day and beneath contempt most of the time and then along came 2005 (well actually that summer - like the one of 2009 - never really happened from a Down Under perspective and like we did in 2006/7 we will crush them again this year).

Great pics! He looks in good form. I don't think William has ever played cricket before has he?
I agree bertie, good to see a windsor play the sport.

Great pics! He looks in good form. I don't think William has ever played cricket before has he?
I agree bertie, good to see a windsor play the sport.

I am sure that I read somewhere that he played it at school but I don't remember seeing him play it in public before.

He does remind me a lot of Philip in cricket whites. I have seen a number of photos of Philip playing cricket back in the late 40s and 50s and of course Philip is the keenest follower of cricket in the royal family.

For the country's main summer sport the support of the royal family is rather cursory if you ask me - yes the Queen attends one day of the Lord's test each year but it is rare to see any of the royals attending any other days of tests or other internationals.

Yes the Queen is Patron of the MCC and Charles owns The Oval cricket ground but I would like to see them actually attend a few more days - like they do with the winter sports.

In reality, most of the royal family seem interested in horsey sports, and little else. They rarely attend Wimbeldon (other than the Kents) or actively appear at football, rugby or cricket games.

In reality, most of the royal family seem interested in horsey sports, and little else. They rarely attend Wimbeldon (other than the Kents) or actively appear at football, rugby or cricket games.

Philip played quite a bit of cricket as a young man but none of his children seem to support any sport other than Anne regularly going to Scottish Rugby games. William and Harry attend a lot of Rugby games and also soccer games but none of them seem all that interested in England's major summer sport - but as I said they would be supporting a team that has been a joke for most of their lives so like a lot of the Poms of their age group simply never got into the sport due to how bad the national team was. Peter Philips also played Rugby quite a bit until well into his 20s, particularly at uni.

Charles played polo but other than that he really hasn't been seen much at cricket but I do know that he follows the cricket a bit based on reports of him regularly asking to be updated on the scores from the Headingly Test in 1981. The other problem for cricket now is that due to the abundance of one day and other short overs games the majority of the true international season - the tests - are played a lot in August by which time the RF has decamped to northern Scotland.

Well, he's never played cricket publicly before. He may have played privately though as he definately looks like he knows how to play.

Well, he's never played cricket publicly before. He may have played privately though as he definately looks like he knows how to play.

In my mind, this is just another indicator of how little we truely know fo the lives of the BRF, and what we and the press base our conclusions on.

He's very handsome

He looks hot while playing cricket

I am sure William knows how to play the major British sports... if he is good or not at them may be a different story.

Perhaps this cricket game is an indication that that will change.
I think it's nice the Van Cutsem's participated. They're like a second family to William.

I don't know if participation in one event means that sporting tastes will drastically change.

The game was for charity. A one time thing.

I don't agree that it would be a one time thing as cricket games for charity are played all the time so he could easily be asked again to support a charity having a cricket match.

Yes, I believe he played in it because it was for charity. I don't know if he will do it again or not. I guess what I was trying to say previously is that it's purpose for charity was the draw to the sport for this event rather than Willian having some very keen interest in cricket for solely cricket's sake.

I would love it if William would play cricket for charity every year. Perhaps he'll add it to the polo schedule.
He looks so handsome in his whites!

Maybe you should start a website just for it, "Prince William for Cricket Lovers". Get a following going, and persuade the prince to play more often! :)

Some more relevant documentaries with royals should be interesting.

Prince William has joined cousins Zara Phillips, Peter Phillips and wife Autumn
Kelly at the Gacombe Horse Trials, Gatcombe, August 7, 2010. William also
photographed them on his iphone, and enjoyed a pint while watching the
events.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom