Prince William Current Events 21: January 2010-January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I somewhat agree that if William isn't actually going to serve in the army, he shouldn't be doing military training at all.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. ALL heirs to the throne (in Wm's case heir to the heir) are trained in the military. It's not so they can fight in the war, it's because they will be the Head of the Armed Forces (or whatever the title is?) in the future so they have to have an idea of how the military works. So I don't know why people say it's a waste of taxpayers money. Sorry but it's par for the course. And Harry also needs the training as people have said you never know what may happen to Wm. and Harry may end up in charge.

I hadn't thought of that but you're right, they would need some type of military training if it ever came to that. Afterall even the Queen had some military experience. I wonder if people would expect them to serve in the war, if it were still going on?
They shouldn't be excluded from it just because they are female. I'm all for equal rights. With that said though I don't the heir should serve in the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince William will attend Royal gala reception at Christie's

Search future engagements

click list of search select Prince william.. and click view engagement on below
Thnx for this information Karla64! Now I know how to find future engagements. I always wondered how people knew when something was coming up. What a neat feature on their website. :)

They shouldn't be excluded from it just because they are female. I'm all for equal rights. With that said though I don't the heir should serve in the war.
I'm all for it as well. I just think people would go easier on them being girls.
Well, let's just hope it never gets to that point. I prefer William on the throne to all the others.

No thanks on Beatrice or Eugenie. Then we'd have to endure Fergie as the "mother of the Queen". :nonono:
And if by small chance they did then they would have to have military training of some kind for their role.

I don't think they would have to have military training at all.

The Queen did because it was mandatory for everyone when they turned 18 to register for war service and it was after she turned 18 that she joined the army - as per the law of the land at the time.

Queen Victoria didn't have any military experience and she was able to be the Commander-in-Chief for over 60 years. Edward VII had 10 weeks of training. George V had none but was C-in-C during the Napoleonic Wars. Queen Anne had none and I could go on about how many monarchs had no military training and did wonderful jobs, even with their nations at war.

There would be no need, therefore, for the Princesses to have military training.

That doesn't mean that they mightn't like to do so but they don't need to - any more than William or Harry do now. They are doing so because they want to not because they have to.

Coming back to the much maligned Fergie, she actually earned her "wings" when she took helicopter training. The whole country was on her side then....

I'm glad William is to go to RAF Valley on the island of Anglesey, rather than Scotland.
Anglesey (or "Ynys Mon" in Welsh) will give him a chance to learn Welsh which, as future Prince of Wales, he should become fluent in.

Coming back to the much maligned Fergie, she actually earned her "wings" when she took helicopter training.
Are you suggesting that William hasn't earned his wings?

The whole country was on her side then....
It was a bit of a novelty when Fergie accomplished this as no other wife of a prince had done this before.

I don't think they would have to have military training at all...
I don't think you can compare today to a long time ago. It would've been unheard of for Queen Victoria to participate in military training during that time.
It seems to be the norm for today's princes to have some type of military training. All of the princes of Europe have done some training. And there is a war going on right now, so it would be relevant.

I think it's expected that an heir to the throne undergo some military training. I think Princess Victoria did as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Even siblings of the heir do some type of military training. Didn't Joachim of Denmark do some (perhaps someone else knows for sure).

Just to note, we have a renowned Royal Military Academy called Sandhurst and many princes from other royal houses have attended it, as well as William and Harry of course.

Crown Princess Victoria has done basic training. In fact, I saw a picture of her in camouflage from that just a couple of days ago. I think that it was part of the slide show on the page about the wedding.

Ahh i stand corrected.
In 2003 she completed Basic training at SWEDINT (the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre). :)

Prince Joachim began his military education in 1987 when the Prince was a recruit in the Queen's Own Regiment. In 1988, the prince was appointed sergeant, and a year later, a lieutenant of the reserve. Prince Joachim served as a Platoon Commander of a tank squadron from 1989 to 1990. In 1990, the Prince was appointed first lieutenant of the reserve, and in 1992 he was appointed Captain of the reserve. After appointment to Major of the reserve in 2005, the Prince remains active in the defence reserve.
:flowers:

I didn't realize Prince Joachim was still active in the military.
Thanks for the link. That's quite an extensive list and with William and Harry at the top as the latest graduates. :D

Ive heard Prince William is now a Captain, is this true??

Ive heard Prince William is now a Captain, is this true??
William is a flight Lieutenant in the Royal Navy and Captain in the Blues and Royals.
Harry is a Lieutenant in the Blues and Royals. :)

According to latest reports after William graduates in September he would eventually become captain of an aircraft, in command of its crew, depending on his performance.

Wouldn't that be funny if William had to salute his younger brother. :ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't that be funny if William had to salute his younger brother. :ROFLMAO:

As Harry graduated first William would already have had to do that - while he was a cadet and Harry was an officer.

Traditionally the British senior royal men have gone to Dartmouth - the naval academy rather than Sandhurst. William and Harry are the most senior royal men to go there as Charles, Andrew and Philip all went to Dartmouth.

As Harry graduated first William would already have had to do that - while he was a cadet and Harry was an officer.
Yeah I know but it was only temporary. He doesn't have to now. And William probably hated it.. being as competitive as they seem to be. I could see Harry ribbing him about it. :D

I'm waiting for Wills photo in the cockpit. Then the champagne can flow.

Traditionally the British senior royal men have gone to Dartmouth - the naval academy rather than Sandhurst. William and Harry are the most senior royal men to go there as Charles, Andrew and Philip all went to Dartmouth.
Yes, but that's because they decided to serve in the navy. As William and Harry chose the army, wasn't it expected they would go to Sandhurst instead of Dartmouth? I'm not sure of the different military branches in Britain. In America we have the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. How many different branches does Britain have?

Dartmouth is the Naval College and Sandhurst the Army so when William and Harry decided to go into the army Dartmouth was no longer an option.
Britain also has an Air Force and a Marine Corps (Edward was in the marines).

Now William is transferred to the Air Force branch (RAF).

I've often thought one of the reasons William didn't choose the navy (Dartmouth) is to avoid unnecessary comparisons to his father. It probably would have been easier to serve in the navy as he wouldn't have had the press intrusion and could go anywhere in complete privacy without anyone knowing, so there must have been a good reason he chose the path he did. The same thing with Harry.

I heard that william will not attend the Wedding.. but never know he will change his mind.. Who Knows!

I heard that william will not attend the Wedding.. but never know he will change his mind.. Who Knows!

He has said he has a prior engagement, the FIFA World Cup, this is only the list of people who have recieved invites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom