Prince William Current Events 21: January 2010-January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first taste of wine at 15. It probably was only occasionally that she allowed him to have a little. Although William did say "you always let me...", but then teenagers tend to exaggerate to get their way. ;)
And who knows, perhaps Piers Morgan exaggerated the story for entertainment purposes. ;)

And who knows, perhaps Piers Morgan exaggerated the story for entertainment purposes. ;)
I think that's a very good assesment of the situation, CD. I hardly think Diana would let either of her boys become lushes. She hardly seemed to drink herself.

Ok, maybe the word "disturbing" was a little strong, but I just thought 13 was too young. Maybe they are more relaxed about it in Europe. ;)
Then again, cd255 could be right about Piers exaggerating. It wouldn't surprise me.
BTW what is the legal drink age in Europe? Just curious.

When did this conversation take place? Was this on a visit he did? I don't recall reading about this engagement.
I couldn't find any information on it either.

I get the feeling this girl wrote a letter to Prince William that one of his aides answered to since it says "Prince William noted." Perhaps Will told the aide to write that so this girl would feel that William actually read the letter

Sometimes I think William doesn't really know what he wants to do. :ermm:

If that article is correct, than I guess it is safe to say William doesn't know what to do. Or is looking for avoid royal duties and his becoming King altogether.

This shows that Prince William does not need to do royal duties as long as his father is Prince of Wales. Prince William will stay as a pilot as long as he can. If his grandmother dies; he will then take up his royal role and duties. I think this is good for him, because he can keep on living like a normal person. His grandfather, Duke of Edinburgh. once said; he wished he would have more time in his navel career and just being married to a Princess and not a queen. Don't you think Prince William has thought about his grandfather's and father's royal role?:);):).

Sometimes I wonder what drives royals in their role. Some seem to be unhappy with what they are, or what they will be someday. I guess the sense of duty to one's country to stronger with them than with the average person.

Yes, Sonjapearl, I hope what drives royals in their roles in a sense of duty to one's country, but if a royal could live like a normal person for a time. I say it is okay. Why not let Prince William pilot for a while. I don't think BRF needs to Princes out there.:);):)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your general sentiment.

Frustrated by advisers who argued that his position in the line of succession means he cannot be risked in a war zone, William is still holding out hope that a way can somehow be found for him to serve with British forces in Afghanistan. One possibility, though senior MoD officials may baulk at the heightened risks to the future King, is he could switch to flying RAF Chinook helicopters supporting combat and logistical operations in southern Afghanistan’s Helmand province.

I wish he would stop pining to serve in Afghanistan. It simply can't happen given who he is and he needs to accept this!

Is it genuinely him pining, or is it the media cooking all this up on a slow news day?

There are ways he can fight, it's just not right for want of a better word.
But as muriel said this is the express they'll be cooking up stories on a slow news day. I'm sure William understands there are very little ways for him to go to the front line.

Whilst I can understand him wanting to serve his country on the front lines, I agree that because of his position I don't think it's possible. It must be very frustrating to want to do something but you can't because of who you are. With that said I really hope he doesn't go.

Personally I don't see why he can't serve.

It isn't as if he is the only grandchild of the Queen so the succession is secure.

If something happens to him there is Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, James, Louise, Peter and Zara to take his place.

I think that the idea of duty is probably trained into them from the time they're able to understand it. :flowers:

It isn't as if he is the only grandchild of the Queen so the succession is secure.
That is not how royal families work. The spare is really meant to be the spare, not an heir!

Well some of the most famous Kings and Queens were spares. Henrey VIII, Queen Victoria was the daughter of the 4th son of George III never thought of to grace the throne, but did for many years as we all know ...George VI, Elizebeth I was the 3rd child of Henry VIII to be crowned,most diffentlly meant to be a spare IMO ...Im sure there are so many more I have missed....I always thought that they were really the spare to be a replacement in the case of the oldests death or any other reason for not being able to sit on the throne.. ...:ermm:

Whilst I can understand him wanting to serve his country on the front lines, I agree that because of his position I don't think it's possible. It must be very frustrating to want to do something but you can't because of who you are. With that said I really hope he doesn't go.
I also sometimes think William might be a little jealous of Harry because he went to Afghanistan. I noticed there is always some brotherly banter between these two, even sibling rivalry which is normal among siblings of the same sex. It's harmless enough and can even be a positive thing as it encourages each to strive for more. But I think the fact that Harry has served over there possibly makes William want to even more.

As Lady Ann quite rightly pointed out the spare often becomes the heir.
Harry and the rest are not just meant to stay as spares, if something happens to William or Charles they could be thrown into the limelight.
However I would prefer a King William than a King Henry. :)

:previous:
I just can't picture Harry or the other cousins acceeding to the throne. I don't why, but I just can't see them doing the job.
I thought Peter and Zara weren't really in line to the throne because they don't have titles. Didn't Princess Anne not want them to be?

They are in line for the throne - They are 11th and 12th respectively.
I can imagine only Beatrice or Eugenie on the throne.
Or Princess Anne. :)

II thought Peter and Zara weren't really in line to the throne because they don't have titles. Didn't Princess Anne not want them to be?
The line of succession is as follows:

Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Beatrice
Eugenie
Edward
James
Louise
Anne
Peter
Zara
Linley
Charles Linley
Marguerite Linley
Sarah Chatto
Little Chattos
Duke of Gloucester
Children and Grandchildren of Gloucester
Duke of Kent
Children and Grandchildren of Duke of Kent who have not converted to or married Roman Catholics
Lord Frederick Windsor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Princess Alexandra
Children and Grandchildren of Princess Alexandra
etc, etc, etc,

Having a title or not having a title makes no bearing on a person being in the line of succession.
The line of succession is determined by relationship to the monarch.

Within the first 20 or so in the line Peter Philips, Zara Philips, Samuel and Arthur Chatto all have no titles (being descendents of a female).
Beatrice and Eugenie's children will be in line of succession but also won't have titles - like the Ogilvy kids (Princess Alexandra's children).

I think that the idea of duty is probably trained into them from the time they're able to understand it. :flowers:
I agree. It is drilled into their head from an early age. This is why I think it's better for the designated heir to take up the mantle because they've had time to get used to the idea of it and get groomed for the role as William already is.
Imagine how shocking and stressful that would be for someone who wasn't raised with the notion of inheriting the throne to all of a sudden have that thrust upon them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom