The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
30kxfu0.png

Arms of HRH The Duke of Cambridge

The Duke of Cambridge as
President of The British Academy of Film and Television Arts

Announced February 21, 2010

"The British Academy of Film and Television Arts - BAFTA - is a world-leading independent arts charity. In addition to its Awards ceremonies, BAFTA has a year-round, international programme of learning events and initiatives that offers unique access to some of the world’s most inspiring talent through workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK, USA and Asia."

Official Website

Last edited:
According to the Express' Richard Palmer:

"Prince William will reach another milestone in his official life when he attends Britain's premier film awards for first time."

"Prince William will meet Hollywood stars when he presents a trophy at the Baftas on Sunday."

http://twitter.com/RoyalReporter

"Prince William will reach another milestone in his official life when he attends Britain's premier film awards for first time."
I don't know why this is a milestone? :ermm:
It's nice for him to attend i suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why this is a milestone? :ermm:
I would imagine because he's never attended anything like this before.
I guess it's official if it's on the Royal's website. There's no mention of it on the BAFTA's website though.

I would imagine because he's never attended anything like this before.
I guess it's official if it's on the Royal's website. There's no mention of it on the BAFTA's website though.

Yeah but attending a celebrity event IMO is not a milestone.
A milestone is something big. :ermm:

Does anybody know if the Bafta Awards are broadcast in the U.S. and if so on what channel - maybe one of the cable channels? Thank you!

Does anybody know if the Bafta Awards are broadcast in the U.S. and if so on what channel - maybe one of the cable channels? Thank you!

BBC America usually broadcasts the event.

:previous:
Talk about taking the prestige out of an award.
It was not neccessary to mention that Vannessa is a republican, i'm sure she'll be honoured to recieve her Academy Fellowship Award.

:previous:
Talk about taking the prestige out of an award.
It was not neccessary to mention that Vannessa is a republican, i'm sure she'll be honoured to recieve her Academy Fellowship Award.

Lumutqueen - Not sure I really understand what you mean by your comment?

Lumutqueen - Not sure I really understand what you mean by your comment?

Vannessa is recieving the 2nd most prestigious award in the film industry in my opinion, yet all the mail decides to talk about, is how she is a republican.

Prince William attends the Orange British Academy Film Awards
2010 at the Royal Opera House on February 21, 2010 in London,
England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** zimbio ** belga **

Looks like he walked the red carpet. I look forward to watching this.

Thanks for the info. Now his appearance at the BAFTA's makes sense.

I didn't understand the Royal Family's previous association with the BAFTA's and was concerned that the Prince was blurring the lines between royalty and celebrity. But now I have a better understanding.

Neither did I. He's on now and Jonathon Ross has just announced it that Richard is retiring due to illness.
Unfortunatly William seems very nervous (understandable) and he kept his eyes on his card. :ermm:

Thanks for the info. Now his appearance at the BAFTA's makes sense.
I was a little concerned about this too. But now we know the reason. Congrats to William about becoming their new President. I do hope Richard Attenborough will be ok whatever his illness is.

Did anyone else watch the BAFTA awards last night? William looked dapper in his tux.
I don't know what all the fuss about Vanessa Redgrave being a replublican was. She was very gracious and respectful, and even did a deep curtsey to William. She was obviously moved about receiving her Fellowship award.

The press were trying to capitalise on the irony, a republic recieving a lifetime achievement award from the royal. :)

Did anyone else watch the BAFTA awards last night? William looked dapper in his tux...
Yes, I watched the BAFTA's. Kudos to him for becoming the new President of the BAFTA's.
I agree he was very handsome in his tuxedo.
I think overall he did a good job. I noticed he chose to read from his card rather than the teleprompter. Perhaps it was too difficult to see. Even Mickey Rourke commented that it was too far away and had a hard time reading it. :lol:
Princejohnny25 said:
Vanessa Redgrave praised both the Prince of Wales and the late Diana, Princess of Wales and gave a deep elegant cursty to Prince William. She is a grande dame that one, one of my favs to watch.
Vanessa is a classy lady! She's one of my favourite actresses too.

I think William is still quite nervous speaking in public, and in time will learn to speak extempore, just as his father usually does.

It was funny when he said it was daunting. :D
He did a good job.

I think William is still quite nervous speaking in public, and in time will learn to speak extempore, just as his father usually does.
It's certainly understandable for him to be nervous. It's his first time at such a prestegious event as this and in front of all these celebrities not to mention the millions of viewers watching. Plus he doesn't have much experience in public speaking to begin with. All things considered he seemed pretty calm and did a very good job. I agree with you that in time he will get better. :flowers:

Article from the event.
Baftas 2010: My Prince Charming! Even Vanessa Redgrave bends her knee to William | Mail Online

He sure is winning them over from all quarters now, that's for sure. I wish HRH William of Wales every success in the new job in regards to the Academy as well.

It's certainly understandable for him to be nervous.
This is true. Even many celebrities still get nervous at these things and flub up their words. I think he did a fantastic job! And it was nice to have a touch of Royalty at the ceremony. :crown5:
A big congratulations to William for becoming the new President of the British Film Academy! :clap:
Does this mean he will attend the Baftas every year? Did Sir Attenborough always attend them? I've never really paid any attention to the Baftas before.

The press were trying to capitalise on the irony, a republic recieving a lifetime achievement award from the royal. :)
That's probably so. BTW thanks for letting me know about the BBC channel. I didn't even know we had a cable channel set aside for British programming. :flowers:

Well I dare say he has had the best to learn from in that respect. Nice to see how well recieved HRH William was in his new role as Academy Head.
Very true indeed.

Does this mean he will attend the Baftas every year?
I'm not sure if he will or not, but it would be nice if he did! I suppose it will depend on his schedule.

It's amusing when William was walking the red carpet at the Baftas how people were trying to get his autograph as if he were a celebrity. It's understandable that he declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom